Find
Notify
Tools

Long Range Elepehant Shooting
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
You have to hide the load of bread inside a Volkswagen first, and then drive the Volkswagen around a bit while setting up the shot, to make the comparison work better.

Naturealy, there are times when the Vollswagen is not moving and times when it is.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dogcat:
Long range shooting is hitting praire dogs at 400+ yards. An elephant at 55 yards and loaf of bread size target with a very experience shooter is a "gimme". I would bet on Saeed every time.

As I said, and 465H&H said, and Will said, and Charles Helm said, it is a common mistake - made by the inexperienced - to believe that braining an elephant - at any range - is always an easy shot.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
You know if you listen real close you can kind of hear two gun shots! Wink

Aw well, just another stunt hunt! clap

Seriously, that is a difficult shot and Saeed did not take forever to pull the trigger after the ele presented an ear hole. And one needs to consider what happens if the little 300gr bullet (sorry, couldn't resist!) were to have missed it's mark.

I'll pile on and say there is no gimmie brain shot, at least for us amateurs.

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
quote:
Seriously, that is a difficult shot

get a room

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19311 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I have found another long range shot on a tuskless cow, I will upload it tomorrow.

This one actually sat down rather than fall down.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66957 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think that when others have said that it is a long shot they mean that it is long for Dangerous Game. Many feel that shooting an elephant or other DG from anything other that "Whites Of their Eyes Range" is taking the danger out of DG and merely sniping it.

I say, whatever floats your boat. That was a fine shot and needs no justification from anyone.

That said, If I get a chance to take an elephant in two weeks when I am there chasing one, I hope the shot is 20 yards or closer. Saeed has taken quite a bit more DG than I and I mean to get the whole of the experience because I do not know how many chances I will get. If I wind up having to take the shot that Saeed did I only hope that I can execute it as well as he did.

We seldom get to choose
But I've seen them go both ways
And I would rather go out in a blaze of glory
Than to slowly rot away!

Posts: 1370 | Location: Shreveport,La.USA | Registered: 08 November 2001Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Tuskless Cow

This is one of those things which makes you wonder about hunting.

We saw this herd at lunchtime drinking at a water hole. We spent quite a bit of time wtching them playing aroun, and to make certain that this cow did not have a young one.

We then left them, and went back to camp to have lunch, and come back in the afternoon to shoot it.

Knowing how difficult it is to get a cow out of a herd, we went there about 3 to see what we can do.

When we got to the waterhole, we found tracks all over the place. They were going in every direction of the compass, and no one could tell which way the herd has gone after drinking.

We were on a sandy hill, and I just glimpsed an elephant disappear between the trees about 3/4 of a mile away.

If I wasn't looking in that direction at that precise moment we would have missed them.

We ran off after them, and just walked downwind of them as they fed. And waited for her to give me a clear shot.

I know some of my friends here do not consider shooting elephants at 50 odd yards sporting, but, in all my hunting, we try to get close enough to the animal to kill it cleanly without it even noticing our existence.

Posts: 66957 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Saeed,

Holy mackerel. Now THIS TIME you must admit that an elephant can be stunned. Because that is exactly what has happened. It ain't dead from that first shot, at least not right then. Did you shoot it again?

P.S. That is looooong tail hair!

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19311 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Bill,

I always shoot elephants again when they are down. But, that cow was stone dead from the first shot. We stood there for a while waiting for the rest of the herd to depart.

Roy thought my second shot was just a waste of ammo.

I shot another bull which dropped precely like this cow, but as he was on an incline, he dropped to his side soon after.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The only way to be sure that an elephant is really dead is to touch its eye. More than one of the elephants that I have shot dropped like stones, in the manner of a perfect brain shot, only to still have eye reaction to the touch.

Are they dead? I am not sure. But another round through the top of the head or through the earhole into the brain ends eye reaction. Spined perhaps? Just knocked cold?

Bill, Saeed, when I click on the link the video loads and begins playing, but only plays a few seconds, showing the back of Saeed's head and the elephant over his left shoulder, in the bush. Is it the video, or me, or? How can I "override" the partial loading? Any help appreciated.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post
Right klick and save it your computer

Posts: 2637 | Location: North | Registered: 24 May 2007Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JPK:
The only way to be sure that an elephant is really dead is to touch its eye. More than one of the elephants that I have shot dropped like stones, in the manner of a perfect brain shot, only to still have eye reaction to the touch.

Are they dead? I am not sure. But another round through the top of the head or through the earhole into the brain ends eye reaction. Spined perhaps? Just knocked cold?

Bill, Saeed, when I click on the link the video loads and begins playing, but only plays a few seconds, showing the back of Saeed's head and the elephant over his left shoulder, in the bush. Is it the video, or me, or? How can I "override" the partial loading? Any help appreciated.

JPK

JPK,

As A.Dahlgren mentioned above, use your mouse's right button, and choose SAVE TO DISK.

You should use this function any time you wish to save a video or picture to your own computer.

That way you can view it any time without connecting to the Internet.