THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Poll: Dangerous Game Hunting Perceptions
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Poll: Dangerous Game Hunting Perceptions
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted
Dangerous game hunting obviously means different things to different people. For some, they relish the experience of hunting dangerous game in an up close and personal encounter. For others, closing the distance is not so critical and safely dispatching dangerous game, even at a distance, is a rewarding hunting experience for them. Assuming you had just one chance to hunt a buffalo of average trophy size, which experience would you choose for your hunt?

Question:
If you had to choose to either forego any shot of more than fifty yards or you could shoot even if it was at a distance greater than fifty yards, which would you pick? (Remember, the trophy is simply a good representative example of the species, not the buffalo of a lifetime.)

Choices:
If it is more than 50 yards, I would rather pass
If it is more than 50 yards, I would prefer to shoot than pass

Mike

Posts: 21698 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
You KNOW how I voted Mike! patriot

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You made a mistake with the question Mike
you said "one chance" at a buff as in only chance
maybe most did not read it that way
given only one chance I think most would take the shot offered
2nd safari . Different set of rules

Posts: 3617 | Location: Verdi Nevada | Registered: 01 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The closer I can get, the more enhanced the DG experience is.

That said, would I go home without taking a shot if the animal were over 50 yds? If my PH says "take the shot", I will.

The cost of a hunt in Africa would make it difficult to pass up a decent open shot.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Mike,

If I have been chasing them all day, and the only chance I get at 300 yards, I will take it.

I have done it, several times, and have absolutely no regrets.

Many PHs would not allow it, for fear of wounding and an endless chase.

Others, who know their clients well enough, leave the choice to him.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68692 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Back to using a tape again.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9957 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Closer is better, but I'll take the shot I'm presented. I'm a big believer in taking what Diana offers.

Posts: 10328 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Closer is more desirable, but you can't have the herd run toward you.
The trees can't even stand up to that, I've seen.

Jack Hood

DRSS

Posts: 253 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 19 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Back to using a tape again.

I kept thinking of a clever way to same the same thing, but failed. You are spot on.

Distance is now the new tip-to-tip length apparently. Does Rowland Ward recognize the distance of the fist shot?

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
It would depend on if it was the last day and I couldn’t get closer than 50 yds, and buffalo was a real trophy. The longest shot I have taken on an unwounded buffalo was about 75 yds, It was the last day of a seven day buffalo hunt, that because of broken airplanes, I had burned four of the seven days in airports in three states, and two countries. Would I have rather been able to get close? Hell yes, but on that safari I was so tired it was pitiful and had already had enough of failure.

The buff would have meant far more if I had been able to stalk in close but it wasn’t to be. If I have all my time, I’d I think if I couldn’t get closer than 50 yds, I’d pass till the last hour of the safari, and maybe even then!

IMO, there is nothing wrong with shooting a head of dangerous game at longer range, if you can make a clean kill but IMO, that is cheating yourself out of one of the best experiences a hunter can get! I would rather get closer than 50 yds, but that is a lot of money to throw done the long drop for nothing, if you pass!
................................................................... Big Grin

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
If it is an animal I'll only hunt one time and take only once, I'll take the longer shot. If afforded an opportunity to hunt it again, then I would be more selective.

Posts: 5713 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
+1 Fairgame

Posts: 394 | Location: Africa | Registered: 25 September 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Funny how the results don't match the comments, at least at this juncture.

One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
I don't shoot well enough to go after such a small animal at distances over 50 yards.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wink:
I don't shoot well enough to go after such a small animal at distances over 50 yards.

A non-hunting friend has always asked me; "why do you like shooting cattle?"

My answer has always been "because they are big and black, and very hard to miss!" clap

Posts: 68692 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:

If I have been chasing them all day, and the only chance I get at 300 yards, I will take it.

Well said !

If others wish to pass and go back empty-handed its their choice and one to respect but the same persons cannot criticize others for a choice different to theirs.

One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
Ceteris Paribus we all (at least the vast majority of us) might "prefer" to be closer rather than further away. This is almost certainly true if only to ensure a perfect shot or at least increase the likelihood of it. That said, and while I respect (though don't necessarily believe) the willingness of some to go home empty, I suspect very VERY few of us (with a scoped .375) would pass on a nice lion at 75 meters on day 10 of a 14 day hunt. Just to "be closer" and "enjoy the hunt more"? I doubt it very sincerely. I also suspect the same is true for that mythical 50" buffalo at 75 meters on day 8 of 10 while carrying a scoped .416. I want to see the look on the PHs face when a guy says, "Nah, let's find another one that will allow us a closer shot". I also think that, if we are being realistic, trophy quality matters in these cases. On day 3 of a 21 day elephant hunt while lugging a scoped .458, I suspect there are very few hunters who would pass on a 90+ pound elephant in open country just because he is a bit more than 50 meters away and probably necessitates a lung shot. Again, I imagine the PH pulling his hair out when a guy says "Nah, lets go back and shoot that 40 pounder in the thick stuff". It might not be ideal, it might not be elegant, it might not make for the best magazine article, but I'll bet the percentage of guys who would shoot the big elephant in open country (even on day three) is over 90%. I am not judging the guy who declines, it's his money after all, but similarly I would expect to not be judged for whacking every animal in every situation described above.

JMHO

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fujotupu:
quote:

Well said !

If others wish to pass and go back empty-handed its their choice and one to respect but the same persons cannot criticize others for a choice different to theirs.

tu2
I hunt and take the chances I get. If I can't get close, I'll take the shoot I can get.

http://www.dr-safaris.com/
Instagram: dr-safaris

Posts: 2092 | Location: Around the wild pockets of Europe | Registered: 09 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have not done any buffalo hunting yet, but will hunt buff this year for the first time. I will shoot even if the distance is over 50 yards if the PH says shoot.

From 2 well known outfitters/PH I have been told that average shooting distance is approx 70-80 yards. Andrew Dawson comments on the Boddington on Buffalo that Chifuti have had clients shooting up to 150-160 yards if I do not remember wrong. For me as a rookie hunting DG I expect that 80-100 yards would be max distance !

Morten

The more I know, the less I wonder !

Posts: 1143 | Location: Oslo area, Norway | Registered: 26 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Any distance is fine by me if I have a good shot opportunity. I have a scope and prefer to use it. Close is fine but I prefer not too close. I think a shot inside 30 yards is harder to place effectively due to the size of the target in the scope.

Posts: 10364 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tendrams:
Ceteris Paribus we all (at least the vast majority of us) might "prefer" to be closer rather than further away. This is almost certainly true if only to ensure a perfect shot or at least increase the likelihood of it. That said, and while I respect (though don't necessarily believe) the willingness of some to go home empty, I suspect very VERY few of us (with a scoped .375) would pass on a nice lion at 75 meters on day 10 of a 14 day hunt. Just to "be closer" and "enjoy the hunt more"? I doubt it very sincerely. I also suspect the same is true for that mythical 50" buffalo at 75 meters on day 8 of 10 while carrying a scoped .416. I want to see the look on the PHs face when a guy says, "Nah, let's find another one that will allow us a closer shot". I also think that, if we are being realistic, trophy quality matters in these cases. On day 3 of a 21 day elephant hunt while lugging a scoped .458, I suspect there are very few hunters who would pass on a 90+ pound elephant in open country just because he is a bit more than 50 meters away and probably necessitates a lung shot. Again, I imagine the PH pulling his hair out when a guy says "Nah, lets go back and shoot that 40 pounder in the thick stuff". It might not be ideal, it might not be elegant, it might not make for the best magazine article, but I'll bet the percentage of guys who would shoot the big elephant in open country (even on day three) is over 90%. I am not judging the guy who declines, it's his money after all, but similarly I would expect to not be judged for whacking every animal in every situation described above.

JMHO

This is the well known INTERNET hunting etiquette.

Far removed from reality clap

one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
For me, my "best" buffalo hunts have not necessarily been measured in the distance of the shot, but the experience leading up to the shot. To me, buffalo hunting is about tracking, and ideally one would have an opportunity to track and learn about the buffalo for days before shooting.

Terrain and time of the year also plays a big part in typical opportunities presented. Ditto if the buffalo bulls in the area are in smaller groups (ideal), or in the herds. I believe that shots offered in Tanzania, for example, are going to be slightly longer on average than in Zimbabwe, for example.

If I were on what may be my only buffalo hunt ever, and presented with a clear shot at 75 or 100 or 125 yards, I am probably going to take it assuming I have a scoped rifle. Hopefully it is not the first day of the hunt, and hopefully the buffalo were not spotted from the truck and stalked.

At this point - on a guided hunt - after having taken a number of buffalo in 5 different countries, I would strive to get to under 75 yards and only after a proper tracking session, and the closer the better. But I'd also be ok going home without a buffalo.

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like em closer. I have been fortunate. I have never had to make that decision. All of my CB and Eles have been under 50 yds. Most of them were under 35 yds. Even my Leopard was only 35 yds.

I would not hesitate however to take a longer shot.

BTW, It was the furtherest CB, 45 yds., that eventually ran over my ass. LOL

BUTCH

C'est Tout Bon
(It is all good)

Posts: 1928 | Location: Lafayette, LA | Registered: 05 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One of my favorite buffalo hunts was a day 17 buffalo in Tanzania. We had taken lion, and were trying for a quality buff. Found them bedded down in the middle of a dried pond. We were pinned down at 200 yards. Slipped to the bottom of a termite mound and waited an hour for a shot. 200 yards on video. Wouldn't trade it for all the ones I have pasted up close at halitosis distance. It was just a great experience.

Jeff

Posts: 2857 | Location: FL | Registered: 18 September 2007Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bwana Bunduki:
One of my favorite buffalo hunts was a day 17 buffalo in Tanzania. We had taken lion, and were trying for a quality buff. Found them bedded down in the middle of a dried pond. We were pinned down at 200 yards. Slipped to the bottom of a termite mound and waited an hour for a shot. 200 yards on video. Wouldn't trade it for all the ones I have pasted up close at halitosis distance. It was just a great experience.

Jeff

You let yourself down Jeff.
You should not even talk about shooting anything so called "dangerous" further than you can smell its breath clap

one of us
posted Hide Post
Although I would much rather take my buff from close,the quality of the animal and the sight picture presented are very important.I am not that happy with a peek-a boo shot from close at a less than mediocre buff.The best would be a full view,nice buff from 0-50yds.
Long shots can be challenging if shot with open sights by an experienced shooter-again full view quality buff.I would be more than happy with a long shot-although it is very dangerous,IMO.
The only time I would turn down a buff and go home empty is if I had to shoot with a scope on a herd bull.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
We need another poll.

Who here would rather not be within 5000 miles of shotacow when he has a rifle in his hands?

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by surestrike:
We need another poll.

Who here would rather not be within 5000 miles of shotacow when he has a rifle in his hands?

keep on dreaming moron

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
We are all different, that being said I always tell PH not to worry if we don't get anything, let's go hunting. Always, always try to get as close as possible. That is the name of the game. Hell, I do it here in states and growing up, I only had open sights and didn't really know that past 50 or so meters was OK. So everything died close or ran off
One buff I lost was in the middle of dry Limpopo over 100 yards , good shot but he beelined for Kruger where them lions had a breakfast on me. That cured me of long shots on buffs.
Rather do it in brush up close and personal.
That's why we call it DG in my opinion and why we all wanna do it and why we pay big bucks
Dangerous game hunting only enhances our love for the hunt

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of matt u
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lavaca:
Closer is better, but I'll take the shot I'm presented. I'm a big believer in taking what Diana offers.

To me its the experience of the hunt,not the distance of the shot.

Posts: 1662 | Location: Winston,Georgia | Registered: 07 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by matt u:
quote:
Originally posted by lavaca:

To me its the experience of the hunt,not the distance of the shot.

Agreed. On my first safari my PH told me to take what the bush gives me and enjoy the hunt. I couldn't care less if I'm shooting at 10 yards or at 100.

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3517 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Assuming you had just one chance to hunt a buffalo of average trophy size, which experience would you choose for your hunt?

Mike,

If you had not said the above I think your responses might have been different but for a guy with only one chance to hunt buffalo I think he'd be a fool to pass up that 50 yard plus shot. OR he may have been drinking far too much AR Kool-Aid Wink.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If I feel like I can hit it where I want, I'm shooting. Would not take one bit of pleasure out of my hunt or trophy.

Dave Fulson

Posts: 1467 | Registered: 20 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
And yet the poll results are still not reflective of the comments. Somehow having to put your name to a public comment here on AR seems to "shade" the response. Something I've suspected for some time. After all, it took a bit of time for the Sullivan "cheerleaders" to finally break silence!!

animal

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Several interesting observations.

One, some folks want to rewrite the hypothetical to fit what they want to answer. The question related to a good representative of the species, not a trophy. I suspect that we all would pull the trigger at 125 yards if that was the only shot we were going to get on a 44" hard bossed buffalo.

Two, while many profess to believe that the hunt is more important than the kill, when faced with going home empty handed they are prepared to back off on the shooting distance. Seems sort of ironic to me. If given a choice between the quality of the experience (which they say is the most important) and going home empty handed, they would rather sacrifice quality to put something, even an average bull, in the salt. I wonder if there is a mathematical correlation between the number of hunting days remaining and the distance at which someone is prepared to shoot, with the fewer the hunting days being correlated to the further away someone is prepared to shoot. I have always suspected that expectations regarding trophy quality and hunt quality were probably correlated to some time component tied to hunting days remaining. I think Mickey Gilley had a country western song about closing time in bars that noted a similar phenomenon. Big Grin

Three, as Todd notes, there seems to be a disconnect between the views of folks wanting to express a view confidentially and those that elect to comment.

Mike

Posts: 21698 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If it was my first, or possibly only safari, and I was comfortable with the shot, I'd take it regardless of the distance.

I might add, that a lot of people only get to hunt Africa, once or twice in their lives. Quality of the hunt is in the mind of the individual hunter. In other words, your quality, and my quality, may be vastly different.

Mad Dog

Posts: 1184 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 17 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FishN4Eyes
posted Hide Post
I prefer my shots be as close as possible mainly if the need for follow up shots is necessary but where do you draw the line?

Heck, it's 52 yards, I'm not shooting that 42" hard-bossed bull! 60? Not shooting, it's too far and takes away from the hunt!

I've only shot four buffalo (not many compared to MANY here)and three were in the 40-75 yard range and one was 110.

They were all plenty exciting and good hunts, not sure I would change a thing.

I sure didn't feel bad shooting the one at 110 as it required a several hundred yard belly crawl-crab walk and that was a close as we were going to get as it was WIDE open after that.

To each his own I guess.

My opinion is closer is almost always better but for accuracy sake not necessarily the adrenaline rush factor although it is certainly fun to be up close and personal.

Interesting subject anyhow.

Chris

Edit: I should add, I hunt with a scoped rifle (the horror! Big Grin). I may feel differently if hunting with a double but that's not in my budget yet but I'd sure love to acquire one!

Posts: 736 | Location: Helena, Montana | Registered: 28 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Jeff

You should not even talk about shooting anything so called "dangerous" further than you can smell its breath clap

Does this mean that I will be stripped of my man card?

Jeff

Posts: 2857 | Location: FL | Registered: 18 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
If given a choice between the quality of the experience (which they say is the most important) and going home empty handed, they would rather sacrifice quality to put something, even an average bull, in the salt.

Your poll specifies that you have only one chance.......

Well, homer , in many cases the fee for the Buff has been paid, win or lose, and the fact is that damn few individuals (I'm sure there are some exceptions, perhaps even in here) that will hunt hard for x number of days and pass on a longer shot near the end of the hunt and go home satisfied with the hunt results. In addition, I don't understand how the "quality" of the experience is somehow better if one passes on a longer shot and goes home empty handed with your one chance hunt. Whatever the experience is up to the shot, the quality will remain the same. I suppose if the shot goes bad, the buff is not found, then obviously that would reduce the quality of the experience for most hunters. OTOH, for most hunters, if the shot works, the buff drops reasonably quickly, then IMO the quality of the hunt/experience is a helluva lot better than going home empty handed.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Jeff

Does this mean that I will be stripped of my man card?

Jeff

Or worse, have your log on name changed to just Bunduki.

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7624 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote