THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Poll: Dangerous Game Hunting Perceptions
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Poll: Dangerous Game Hunting Perceptions
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
quote:
Surely you are not suggesting that the majority of the people responding to the poll that express a preference to hunt up close and personal are selfish? That would seem a tad judgmental.

Aren't we all?

Having an opinion is a far cry from being judgmental.

Mike

Posts: 21698 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Excellent post Mike
Love all the different perceptions

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
quote:
quote:
Surely you are not suggesting that the majority of the people responding to the poll that express a preference to hunt up close and personal are selfish? That would seem a tad judgmental.

Aren't we all?

Great!

We now have opinions that describe opinions!

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68692 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
And yet another thread that amounts to a whole lot about nothing.

So many on here have a really bad case of TO EACH THEIR OWN AS LONG AS IT CONFORMS WITH WHAT I THINK.

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Posts: 1842 | Location: Northern Rockies, BC | Registered: 21 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jines why did you prefer to hunt sheep before hunting DG?

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think if you've been lucky enough to shoot a few buffalo, elephant etc and have an idea you'll be able to do it again it is a whole lot easier to pass on a particular shot or a representative trophy waiting for the perfect opportunity. If you fall into this category I don't think it is fair to compare your personal limitation on what you will or will not do to the guy that might never have more than one chance to shoot any DG.

Outstanding! Many of the hunters that profess only wanting to "do it right" have already done it wrong!

The older I get the less important it is for me to just "kill something".

Posts: 42343 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Aren't we all?

Saeed, great comeback - spot on! AIU

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JTEX:
quote:
I think if you've been lucky enough to shoot a few buffalo, elephant etc and have an idea you'll be able to do it again it is a whole lot easier to pass on a particular shot or a representative trophy waiting for the perfect opportunity. If you fall into this category I don't think it is fair to compare your personal limitation on what you will or will not do to the guy that might never have more than one chance to shoot any DG.

Outstanding! Many of the hunters that profess only wanting to "do it right" have already done it wrong!

The older I get the less important it is for me to just "kill something".

Exactly what is "done it wrong"?

Jeff

Posts: 2857 | Location: FL | Registered: 18 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Several interesting observations.

One, some folks want to rewrite the hypothetical to fit what they want to answer. The question related to a good representative of the species, not a trophy. I suspect that we all would pull the trigger at 125 yards if that was the only shot we were going to get on a 44" hard bossed buffalo.

Two, while many profess to believe that the hunt is more important than the kill, when faced with going home empty handed they are prepared to back off on the shooting distance. Seems sort of ironic to me.

I think the quote above is spot on “IF” we are speaking of a Cape buffalo hunt per say. A Cape buffalo hunt is just that, a “hunt”! The point is, to take a Cape buffalo at the end of the tracks! That said…………

quote:
If given a choice between the quality of the experience (which they say is the most important) and going home empty handed, they would rather sacrifice quality to put something, even an average bull, in the salt.

……… IMO, the experience “IS most important! The experience is the outcome no matter how it is ethiclly finished. However, the quality of the experience is based on how it is accomplished! It is a good experience if at the end it is done in a manner that the hunter is not forced to make excuses for the way it was done!

quote:
I wonder if there is a mathematical correlation between the number of hunting days remaining and the distance at which someone is prepared to shoot, with the fewer the hunting days being correlated to the further away someone is prepared to shoot.

I have always suspected that expectations regarding trophy quality and hunt quality were probably correlated to some time component tied to hunting days remaining. I think Mickey Gilley had a country western song about closing time in bars that noted a similar phenomenon. Big Grin

Three, as Todd notes, there seems to be a disconnect between the views of folks wanting to express a view confidentially and those that elect to comment.

The above seems to be insinuating a person who ends “HIS” hunt in ether of the ways is a hypocrite if at the end of the day conditions dictate that he take the less desirable way to end the hunt! Certainly almost anyone who loves the hunting of DANGEROUS game will surely find it more desirable up close where the animal IS dangerous, rather than take the animal at longer ranges where he ISN’T! A desirable bull is still the object of the HUNT, regardless of the trophy size, or range of the shot! IMO, if the animal is older, and hard bossed the difference is one experience is better than the other but both are ethical experiences.

IMO, conditions simply cheated the hunter out of the most desirable outcome if he has to take his buffalo at longer range where he is entirely safe, but that doesn't mean he did it wrong. It just stole a very desirable component of hunting of dangerous game!

I believe the poll results and the following comments to the poll backs that opinion up!
...................................................................................... coffee

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gbax
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Certainly almost anyone who loves the hunting of DANGEROUS game will surely find it more desirable up close where the animal IS dangerous, rather than take the animal at longer ranges where he ISN’T!

Its not every ones goal or aim, to face the most potential for danger.
Hunting is also a form of challenge and exercise of intelligence and self preservation,,,
where one responsibly uses their brains to reduce or minimise chance of serious injury in a risky pursuit.
..essentially such use of intelligence is part of what differentiates humans from the primitive animal kingdom.
We have used those brains to evolve from throwing rocks & spears to developing and using modern high-powered rifle.
- much to our advantage.
There is no doubt that such technology has made hunting both EASIER and SAFER ,.. be it at 10yd or 125yd.
Even the humble 6.5x54 MS and 7x57 [in the correct hands] has proved a rather efficient,impressively effective death stick,
compared to the use of primitive weapons.
>
DG hunters apparently use larger more powerful rifles, to gain advantage- better ensure their well being & safety,
during their persuite of DG at close range,
yet at the same time tell us that they want to get closer to DG to make things more dangerous. - it is a contradiction.

If intentionally increasing potential for risk-danger is what DG hunting is all about, why is it sensible PHs would prefer a client to perform
a good clean swift kill, rather than him and his questionable ability client having to face a charge or pursue the clients wounded
beast up-close in the thick.
Good sense & logic would indicate the PH would prefer to avoid increasing risk and danger to himself and other members of the hunting party.

Then again, I guess a PH has to juggle between giving the client the 'thrill' he wants for his money (vs) the ultimate responsibility of the PH.

Ultimately, the PH decides when the recreational hunter-client has had enough exposure to danger, and steps in to reduce or nullify it.

Posts: 9434 | Location: Here & There- | Registered: 14 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:

A good post and as I read it, one that you carefully worded to ask for a preference and not an opinion.

Of course most here would know what Todd's 'preference' would be for hunting DG but being the first respondent to your poll and expressing it in a somewhat couched manner I think it set the scene for opinions.

Posts: 3908 | Location: Rolleston, Christchurch, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PD999
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by matt u:
To me its the experience of the hunt,not the distance of the shot.

+1

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition” ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 1231 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lavaca:
Closer is better, but I'll take the shot I'm presented. I'm a big believer in taking what Diana offers.

Sounds like sound advice to me!

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote