Notify
Tools

An elephant at the door.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of David Hulme
posted
Good day folks,

Thought you'd enjoy these photos of a couple of elephants that visit us at least once a week, at our home in Mutare - Zimbabwe's number 1 urban centre. So far they have set back banana and mango production considerably, knocked down a section of wall, trashed a picket fence, knocked a tree on the roof smashing numerous tiles, broken the pipeline and internet cable a few times, pushed down the garden shed, charged me a few times...

I like them a lot, though IMO they are actually very dangerous elephants, because they are used to and don't fear humans. The last time they broke the pipeline, I attempted to intervene, and they chased me back indoors, paying no heed to my shouting and performing. Then I had an elephant at the kitchen door and another at the window, peering in at me...At least they were thoughtful enough to leave the water meter at the door when they left...

On the pipeline behind our house.

At the gate.

Sneaking into our yard in the evening.

In the 'garden'/'vegetable garden'

At the dining room window.

About to trash the mango tree outside the kitchen.

At the front door.

Trying to grab the camera.

In our garden we also have squirrels, many birds, some snakes, a couple of genet cats, frogs and lizards.

Hope you are having a good weekend,

David

Posts: 2270 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 28 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
David

Get yourself one of these & teach yourself how to use it properly. (I prefer the plastic versions)

Used correctly, they emit a very loud & shrill whistle that elephants absolutely hate & it makes them turn tail & bug out pretty damn quick.

I appreciate that sounds like a ridiculous idea but it really does work & has never failed for me. tu2

Great pics BTW. tu2

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
i am afraid that sooner rather than later this situation will progress to the point they will have to be shot. good luck in the meantime!

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13170 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of RobinOLocksley
posted Hide Post
Cool photos.Thanks for sharing.

Best-
Locksley,R

"Early in the morning, at break of day, in all the freshness and dawn of one's strength, to read a book - I call that vicious!"- Friedrich Nietzsche

Posts: 785 | Location: Sherwood Forest | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can't imagine that on a regular basis. We get deer and elk bedding down in my front yard, the occasional bear raiding the dumpster and 3 times now sightings of mountain lion on my little slice of heaven, but ELEPHANTS???
Way cool.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Crazy and thanks for sharing.
I get them deer and elk in my yard almost on regular basis so I call them " meals on wheels " and they end up in freezer, couple of them anyway every year.
Nothing like home delivery and no dragging . LOL

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What a wonderful post. The magic of Africa.

I wonder if any on has tried bear pepper spray to make an area unpleasant for the ele's

http://www.guardian-self-defen...i48bkCFURp7AodvisACw

If you could set this up with a trip wire so that the elephants would spray themselves with out associating you with the negative experience may be they would just start staying away from the house proper.

If you own a gun and you are not a member of the NRA and other pro 2nd amendment organizations then YOU are part of the problem.

Posts: 1226 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 12 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
COOL pics David thanks for sharing!

Looks like they are trying to take over the place though Eeker

Stay safe tu2

Is this common on other properties near you?

Posts: 3430 | Registered: 24 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Much more substantial than the bunnies I have to deal with....

Posts: 1978 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very cool!

Posts: 2539 | Location: New York, USA | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Neato but glad it isn't my house! Wouldn't a brick of good old fashioned firecrackers lit and chucked under their feet make them choose to eat the neighbor's landscaping instead?

~Ann

Posts: 19170 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Wooow! Way cool!

When I was a Tea Planter in the 1980s I used to see Muntjak & rarely Sambar & wild boar from the house. Elephants & gaur used to visit the property but not near my bungalow.

In the 1950s my dad saw a tiger within 100 meters of the house. Leopards used to slink past the kitchen.

True wilderness is life changing!

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11006 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
David,

I will trade you two Jehova's Witnesses and two Seventh Day Adventists for your two elephants!

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Thunder Head
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 465H&H:
David,

I will trade you two Jehova's Witnesses and two Seventh Day Adventists for your two elephants!

465H&H

LOL, I just spit my drink on the keyboard!

I have walked in the foot prints of the elephant, listened to lion roar and met the buffalo on his turf. I shall never be the same.

Posts: 813 | Location: In the shadow of Currahee | Registered: 29 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll take the rattlesnakes and skunks that I have to share my yard with.

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of David Hulme
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the tip Steve. I have resisted chasing them off for some time as I actually like having them around, but they are costing me too much loot now. A few days ago I bought some very loud 'black mamba' firecrackers so we'll see how they don't like those when they rock up again.

I hear you JD, but don't be so gloomy about it! Maybe we can all live side by side in disneyland harmony with the elephants, lions and crocodiles after all...Derrick and Bev Joubert say we can Smiler

I'd have to invest in a bigger freezer if I followed your example boarkiller.

Roland, they don't venture into other properties because most have fences/walls and the elephants don't go through them, for some reason. Our garden has no fence and borders what used to be the game park.

465, you keep yours, I'll keep mine Smiler

One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
David, hopefully the fireworks will give them the shoo! Nice pics BTW!

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6804 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Dave

I agree they're nice to have around in many ways but they always do a shit load of damage & things can go very wrong in a heartbeat (as happened to the late Kay Hiscocks some years ago) so I reckon you're doing the right thing by trying to chase them away!

one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted Hide Post
On the bright side, they should make anyone contemplating a home invasion think twice.

ALLEN W. JOHNSON - DRSS

Into my heart on air that kills
From yon far country blows:
What are those blue remembered hills,
What spires, what farms are those?
That is the land of lost content,
I see it shining plain,
The happy highways where I went
And cannot come again.

A. E. Housman

Posts: 2251 | Location: Mo, USA | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of David Hulme
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Palmer:
On the bright side, they should make anyone contemplating a home invasion think twice.

That's it, what I always say in their defense - great security guards. Anyway, they haven't been back for a few days and this is a small town, so I think they may have heard I bought those black mamba firecrackers...