Find
Notify
Tools

Blair Worldwide
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
I suppose one day they will change the name of the company, produce new marketing materials, and continue with the same business model.

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've been getting a couple calls per year from them forever. They got my unlisted phone number from SCI. Thanks SCI, I'll never belong to your organization again. You have to be very firm with Blair Worldwide to get off their list.

Posts: 106 | Location: Florida | Registered: 02 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
They called me once a year or two ago. I mentioned the bad review on AR and they've never called again.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
You guys are going about this all wrong.

You should express interest in a big ticket hunt for you and your spouse/child/sibling/friend.

Get as much information sent to you via snail mail so you can look it over. Ask a lot of 'newbie' questions.

At the point that they think they have you hooked, ask them about your avenues of redress should a problem occur.

Once they're done assuring you that they will take care of you, ask them why they didn't take of 'all gone' the Heathingtons. Big Grin

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
George:

Wasn't it something to do with a sheep hunt gone haywire?

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Given all the time and expense they are investing in marketing, business has to either be very good or very bad.

Mike

Posts: 21698 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Been getting one or two emails from them a week for a couple of months. They are just deleted. Thankfully no phone calls yet. But then I don't usually answer calls from numbers I don't recognize. Elimiates a lot of agregatin on my part, because I really can't stand tellemarketers.

One of Us
Picture of 724wd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
This is strange. I used to get the e mails and the calls. This has stopped. I do not recall speaking with them at all.

I guess I am lucky that they are leaving me alone.

yuck

NRA Life Member

Gun Control - A theory espoused by some monumentally stupid people; who claim to believe, against all logic and common sense, that a violent predator who ignores the laws prohibiting them from robbing, raping, kidnapping, torturing and killing their fellow human beings will obey a law telling them that they cannot own a gun.

Posts: 992 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 724wd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GeorgeS:
You guys are going about this all wrong.

You should express interest in a big ticket hunt for you and your spouse/child/sibling/friend.

Get as much information sent to you via snail mail so you can look it over. Ask a lot of 'newbie' questions.

At the point that they think they have you hooked, ask them about your avenues of redress should a problem occur.

Once they're done assuring you that they will take care of you, ask them why they didn't take of 'all gone'. Big Grin

George

wrong client/booking agent combo. all gone booked through ACS. it was hunt fisher that got the shaft from BWW

NRA Life Member

Gun Control - A theory espoused by some monumentally stupid people; who claim to believe, against all logic and common sense, that a violent predator who ignores the laws prohibiting them from robbing, raping, kidnapping, torturing and killing their fellow human beings will obey a law telling them that they cannot own a gun.

Posts: 992 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Perhaps we should all look at them in Vegas as we walk by and say "Larry Heathington" and keep walking . I will bet a vast volume of those comments would rattle them.

Posts: 12095 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
You guys are right! There have been so many screwings reported lately, I can't keep track of them.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chris01:
I've been getting a couple calls per year from them forever. They got my unlisted phone number from SCI. Thanks SCI, I'll never belong to your organization again. You have to be very firm with Blair Worldwide to get off their list.
I do not believe that SCI sold their contact list to them. Did you go to a convention and inadvertedly have your badge scanned by one of those 'devices'..

maybe someone stole the list from SCI but I know SCI guards that membership list from corporates, very, very closely.

Others on here may have other ideas - but that is what I have found.

A day spent in the bush is a day added to your life
Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - Facebook
Hunt Australia - TV

Posts: 4456 | Location: Australia | Registered: 23 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hadn't heard from them for awhile until today. Frankly, I've told them I'm not interested in their services a number of times, so I don't know why they keep calling. Anyway, today, the guy from Blair held for a good 5 minutes while I was on another line. As soon as he identified himself, I said I had no interest.

Amazingly, he simply repeated my comment, "No Interest" as if he might have heard it before and was scratching my name off a list.

Posts: 10328 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
OTHER THAN TELLING THEM TO FU-- OFF, ANOTHER GOOD TACTIC IS THAT AFTER THEY IDENTIFY THEMSELVES, TELL THEM YOU ARE INTERESTED IN A XYZ HUNT AND COULD THEY PLEASE HOLD WHILE YOU FINISH ANOTHER CALL. SET THE PHONE DOWN, WALK AWAY AND RETURN ABOUT 10-15 MINUTES LATER TO HANG UP.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13402 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just curious. Why in the world would you give your unlisted phone number to SCI or anyone else?? Anyone/anybody YOU gave the number to can't really be blamed for that fact. It was your choice to do so. I would also be interested in how or what proof you have that SCI is the one that did you in? Confused Just asking.

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

quote:

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Just in case someone does not know this, here is a link to the original.

$70,000 Blaire Scam

Larry, knowing how SCI tries to squeeze every penny from its members, I for one would not be surprised if they sold the email and phone list of their members to "interested parties".

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68686 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Since some of us are getting calls on our work numbers, someone, Dallas Safari Club, Houston Safari Club or SCI sold the mailing list, or they are using the DSC Membership Roster phone directory.

Mike

Posts: 21698 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Larry, I have an unlisted number for the same reason most other people do, to limit calls from telemarketers. I don’t feel I need to guard it and never give it out to anyone. I have my name on no call lists for the same reason and for the most part it works. BWW is the only hunting related booking agent that ever made cold calls to my number.

I have no proof that BWW got my number from SCI. BWW first called me about 8 or 9 years ago. I can’t remember the exact year. I know it was right after I attended the annual SCI convention. They called me again the next year right after the SCI convention. Maybe it was a coincidence, but I don’t think so. The only organizations there that had my number were SCI and one booking agent that I have used in the past. Maybe BWW got it from some cross reference they did. I don’t know for sure. All I know is they started calling me right after the SCI convention and from what I have read here I am not the only one that’s happening to.

Anyway, I got on BWW’s list and have received numerous calls since. They are persistent. Each time I have politely asked to be taken off their call list, which they did not do. After reading the posts here on AR I was a little nastier to them. I haven’t received any calls since.

Posts: 106 | Location: Florida | Registered: 02 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Chris - wasn't tying to start a slam at you or anything was just curious. I have an unlisted number on one phone account and it doesn't get spread around much at all. Last time Blair contacted me, about six months ago, gave them the AR thread name, never been called again.

I have no knowledge of SCI, DSC or anyone else in that catagory SELLING lists to folks. I would suspect as others have mentioned BWW is getting this from another evil source of their own doing.

Saeed- That's right, ASSUME SCI is the bad guy here with no proof whatsoever of the facts. Roll Eyes

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

quote:
Larry, I have an unlisted number for the same reason most other people do, to limit calls from telemarketers. I don’t feel I need to guard it and never give it out to anyone. I have my name on no call lists for the same reason and for the most part it works. BWW is the only hunting related booking agent that ever made cold calls to my number.

I have no proof that BWW got my number from SCI. BWW first called me about 8 or 9 years ago. I can’t remember the exact year. I know it was right after I attended the annual SCI convention. They called me again the next year right after the SCI convention. Maybe it was a coincidence, but I don’t think so. The only organizations there that had my number were SCI and one booking agent that I have used in the past. Maybe BWW got it from some cross reference they did. I don’t know for sure. All I know is they started calling me right after the SCI convention and from what I have read here I am not the only one that’s happening to.

Anyway, I got on BWW’s list and have received numerous calls since. They are persistent. Each time I have politely asked to be taken off their call list, which they did not do. After reading the posts here on AR I was a little nastier to them. I haven’t received any calls since.

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of drummondlindsey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Larry Sellers:
Just curious. Why in the world would you give your unlisted phone number to SCI or anyone else?? Anyone/anybody YOU gave the number to can't really be blamed for that fact. It was your choice to do so. I would also be interested in how or what proof you have that SCI is the one that did you in? Confused Just asking.

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

Who cares if he gave his number to a person or an organization? Its not anybodies place to sell other peoples personal information.

I find it ignorant to blame the individual that gave out his unlisted number for this. Blaming him instead of the person or organization that gave out or sold his information is just dumb

Posts: 2093 | Location: Windsor, CO | Registered: 06 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of drummondlindsey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Chris - wasn't tying to start a slam at you or anything was just curious.

Sure sounded like it but thats just my opinion

quote:
Just curious. Why in the world would you give your unlisted phone number to SCI or anyone else?? Anyone/anybody YOU gave the number to can't really be blamed for that fact. It was your choice to do so.

To me the phrase "Why in the world would you..." comes off as "You fu*$ng idiot"

Not saying thats what you meant, just how it came across

Posts: 2093 | Location: Windsor, CO | Registered: 06 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:

Larry, knowing how SCI tries to squeeze every penny from its members, I for one would not be surprised if they sold the email and phone list of their members to "interested parties".

Yet another unsubstantiated accusation against SCI. Proof? None!

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drummondlindsey:
quote:

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

Who cares if he gave his number to a person or an organization? Its not anybodies place to sell other peoples personal information.

I find it ignorant to blame the individual that gave out his unlisted number for this. Blaming him instead of the person or organization that gave out or sold his information is just dumb

If you think organizations and businesses don't sell other peoples personal information all the time, you are kidding yourself. If you don't want your number given out, the ONLY sure method of protecting it is to NOT GIVE IT OUT.

Listen, I don't want my info sold or given out either but it is the way of the world today. My former business partner had a company, that I was not a part of by the way, that competed with Accurant and others that specialize in gathering and selling info. He would absolutely NEVER give any of his info out unless required by law! After hanging around with him, I learned that it is truly amazing where and how these companies get their info.

Just to give you an example, he said that the vast majority of unlisted numbers were obtained from pizza delivery companies such as Donimos Pizza. You call in to order a pizza on your unlisted number, give them your name and address, they record it in their computer, (ever call in repeatedly and they know your name and address before you give it to them?) then turn around and sell this info to help their bottom line.

So, I would not be so quick to implicate SCI. It's possible they are the culprit, but it is also possible that a vendor there is the one. It's really hard to pin it down today unless you do as my old business partner did, which is to NEVER give it out casually.

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
I get E-mails and phone calls all the time from people wanting to sell me hunting trips, or vacations. I simply use an answering machine and screen my calls. If they are something I don’t want I simply delete them and go about my business!

IMO, there is no way, today, that you will keep any of your contacts private! Your bank, mag subscriptions, and credit card co. sell the crap all the time. It has simply become the most open society in the world’s history, live with it or go live in a cave in the mountains! I don’t like it but what can you do?

………………………………………………………………. old

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just got a call from them, & booked an elephant hunt with them in Delaware for the last two weeks in February. I hope I haven't made a mistake. Has anyone hunted with these guys in Delaware ?

.470 & 9.3X74R Chapuis'
Tikka O/U 9.3X74R
Searcy Classics 450/.400 3" & .577
C&H .375 2 1/2"
Krieghoff .500 NE
Member Dallas Safari Club

Posts: 1586 | Location: Eleanor, West Virginia (USA) | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

ain't that the truth!!

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13402 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve Ahrenberg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
quote:
quote:

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

ain't that the truth!!

Larry, JDollar,
AZGFD and retailers like Cabela's both collect your info and sell those lists. How many folks tell the pretty young lady at Cabela's upon check out "no thank you" when they ask for your phone number?

Steve

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3543 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
How many folks tell the pretty young lady at Cabela's upon check out "no thank you" when they ask for your phone number?

I give them my number, 867-5309. It's all good...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
BB:

That is hysterical. Am I the only one who caught that?

Posts: 12095 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
BB:

Nope you weren't alone. Thinking BaxterB is really TommyT.

Posts: 584 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: 13 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boatbum:
Been getting one or two emails from them a week for a couple of months. They are just deleted. Thankfully no phone calls yet.

Same here, I told them to drop me, but hasn't happened yet.

Posts: 1700 | Location: USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Frank Beller:
I just got a call from them, & booked an elephant hunt with them in Delaware for the last two weeks in February. I hope I haven't made a mistake. Has anyone hunted with these guys in Delaware ?

Frank,

Depends on what you paid. The Delaware elephants tend to have smaller tusks. And they are pretty passive, generally speaking. Nothing like the Brooklyn elephants.

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

Posts: 2018 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 7MMNut:
quote:
BB:

Nope you weren't alone. Thinking BaxterB is really TommyT.

Baxter, did you marry Jenny?

one of us
Picture of Outdoor Writer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nganga:
[Larry, JDollar,
AZGFD and retailers like Cabela's both collect your info and sell those lists. How many folks tell the pretty young lady at Cabela's upon check out "no thank you" when they ask for your phone number?

Steve

I don't know for sure with Cabela's, but you're dead on with AGFD. And...there's not a thing we can do about it because of the Freedom of Information Act, i.e everything is a matter of public record in regards to a government agency. That's not true with Cabela's, however.

AGFD "sells" the names mainly to cover the cost of supplying the lists to anyone who requests them.

I always find it humorous when some guy doesn't want to reveal where he killed a trophy whatever. With one quick phone call, anyone can find out the info on his permit.

Tony Mandile - Author "How To Hunt Coues Deer"

Posts: 3269 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Frank - You made a wise decision. Roll Eyes I hunted ele with them in Delaware two years ago and took a nice 80# plus bull. Only drawback is the Ivory wasn't legal to import to New Mexico. Oh well, I still have the pictures.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

quote:

One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Frank - You made a wise decision. Roll Eyes I hunted ele with them in Delaware two years ago and took a nice 80# plus bull. Only drawback is the Ivory wasn't legal to import to New Mexico. Oh well, I still have the pictures.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

quote:

But there was no Corporate tax for the outfitter. Big Grin

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7624 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Outdoor Writer:
quote:
Originally posted by Nganga:
[Larry, JDollar,

Steve

I don't know for sure with Cabela's, but you're dead on with AGFD. And...there's not a thing we can do about it because of the Freedom of Information Act, i.e everything is a matter of public record in regards to a government agency. That's not true with Cabela's, however.

AGFD "sells" the names mainly to cover the cost of supplying the lists to anyone who requests them.

I always find it humorous when some guy doesn't want to reveal where he killed a trophy whatever. With one quick phone call, anyone can find out the info on his permit.

Tony - Interestingly enough, years ago Colorado passed some "privacy act"? So now, unless an applicant checks the "box" on their big-game application to make their results public, their application info/results are NOT available to the public???

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
One of the network shows last week -- it could have been 20/20, but I don't remember -- had a clip about how certain websites and internet mail order houses were selling their email address lists.

This means that if you visit certain hunting and shooting sites, or order from certain companies, your email address could wind up being sold to BWW as someone who fits their demographic needs.

I doubt that Saeed does this, but who knows what other hunting sites do?

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Bill,

The only reason we ask for a valid email address is just in case a member forgets his log in details.

We only send the log in details to the address we have for that particular member.

And of course, as we are not a commercial site, we have absolutely no wish or interest in selling the email addresses of our members.

I am not sure if we are the only site with the unique position of being totally un-commercial thgough.

Personally, I have not come across another site that isn't.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68686 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you Saeed for all you do running AR the way you do. I appreciate this site so much. It is such an amazing place.

Posts: 319 | Location: SW Idaho, USA | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote