THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    1 dead, client 2 others injured. Kafue National park, Lugup lodge.

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

1 dead, client 2 others injured. Kafue National park, Lugup lodge.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
No other details.
Anyone know anything?

Posts: 10160 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a video of the incident.

My guess is that it was a bunch of tourists. They were filming the elephant at a distance. The elephant headed for the vehicle. They are driving away but stop for some reason. The elephant turned the vehicle over. It is total chaos from there.

Posts: 11973 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I have been watching the video several times.

Something very strange.

The car was driving along.

Then seems to stop, and start reversing??

Something happened before the elephant got to them.

As the camera show thing are moving inside the truck??

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66982 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Watched it just now on FB, bad deal!

Posts: 1792 | Location: Sinton, Texas | Registered: 08 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
The video I saw did not show much.

Just an obviously disturbed elephant quite far away and chasing an open tourist van that inexplicably stopped.

Then the elephant caught up to the van and flipped it over on its side.

Nothing after that.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13396 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Robinson:
The video I saw did not show much.

Just an obviously disturbed elephant quite far away and chasing an open tourist van that inexplicably stopped.

Then the elephant caught up to the van and flipped it over on its side.

Nothing after that.

You might wish to watch that video again.

It seems the truck stopped and started going back a bit.

Then things happened in the truck which we cannot see before the elephant had contact with the truck.

Posts: 66982 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will watch it again.

I didn't notice any of that. Also, there was no sound on the video I watched.

BTW, the closest I have come to being killed by an elephant was in the Kafue region of Zambia.

We were heading back to camp one night in the truck when we were confronted on the road and then chased by an angry cow-led herd.

Our own fairgame had to throw the truck into reverse and then make a high-speed turnaround through badly furrowed black cotton soil.

Before we pulled away, we could almost smell their breath.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Watched it again, this time with sound. I don't think the driver backed up. It was just the camera moving.

It looked to me as though the driver deliberately put on the brakes and stopped while the elephant had slowed down a bit but was still moving toward them.

I bet the driver was counting on the elephant to stop short and was trying to be in position to get some good photos.

Not smart. That elephant was pissed.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
Can someone post a link to the video?

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7594 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jim, I sent it on WhatsApp

Karl Evans

Posts: 2759 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jim, sent one, think there are others.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2759 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is the vehicle backing up or is the camera moving ?

Posts: 11973 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just got a message from a PH about this.

What he has heard is that they were driving off road. In attempting to get away, the driver took a route that caused him to come across an obstruction which he could not get around.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Zambian Elephant Attack

The video lasts 45 seconds and it seems they knew they were being chased from the start.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of M.Shy
posted Hide Post
Oops
Looks like he was misunderstood…the elephant that is
Maybe if they offered him banana he would walk away?

Posts: 141 | Location: Idaho & Montana & Washington | Registered: 24 February 2024Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As Elephant populations keep building steadily this might more and more become a theme of these nature loving, photographic tours. Heaven forbid but the photographic lodges providing these tours might have to start packing serious stopping rifles on the tour trucks. What answer would our dear friends, the antis, have for this situation ?
I feel sorry for any loss of human life sustained on this Zambian incident but we know well the risk is inherent with entering the domain of the gentle giants.

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 2020 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
After all the poaching crisis, I think cow elephants are more aggressive if anything. We've had to run from them a few times. Lesson is keep running.

Posts: 10025 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lavaca:
After all the poaching crisis, I think cow elephants are more aggressive if anything. We've had to run from them a few times. Lesson is keep running.

Cows are even worse.

We were going to a leopard blind in the after, having a 7mm rifle with me.

Gort chased by an irate cow all over the place.

Decided to shoot her.

Alan ran back to the truck to get my 375/303.

I asked Roy how will we find her.

His answer was "she will find us".

Sure enough, we saw he with her trunk up looking for us.

A few minutes later it was all over.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That bull was on a mission with a fixed agenda.

Posts: 1905 | Registered: 06 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
I noticed on the news that it was a Wilderness Safaris camp and vehicle. The CEO is Keith Vincent. Wilderness was found about 25 years ago by ex PH’s from Zim. I met 2 of the founders in Maun about 17-18 years ago. I wonder if Keith is related to Roy and Alan… coffee

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13159 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
I noticed on the news that it was a Wilderness Safaris camp and vehicle. The CEO is Keith Vincent. Wilderness was found about 25 years ago by ex PH’s from Zim. I met 2 of the founders in Maun about 17-18 years ago. I wonder if Keith is related to Roy and Alan… coffee

No he is not related.

They do now him though.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
How does one run out of navigable terrain in elephant country with which one is presumably familiar as a game guide?

In my experience, game guides can be unconscionably reckless, especially since they are almost always and bafflingly unarmed.

Mike

posted Hide Post
My condolence to all the families

Posts: 10 | Location: VA | Registered: 25 October 2022Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Robinson:
How does one run out of navigable terrain in elephant country with which one is presumably familiar as a game guide?

In my experience, game guides can be unconscionably reckless, especially since they are almost always and bafflingly unarmed.

Same experience for me. Had a male leopard walk up to the truck, look up into my face as if to say, "you are spaghetti if I wish you to be".
No gun, no fear other than to keep distance from elephants. I don't think there is much training other than speaking English...

Posts: 10160 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brain1
posted Hide Post
Plenty of eles with attitude in Zambia. I can attest to that.

You can borrow money, but you can't borrow time. Don't wait, go now.
Savannah Safaris Namibia
Otjitambi Trails & Safaris
DRSS
NRA
SCI
DSC
TSRA
TMPA

Posts: 1241 | Location: Bridgeport, Tx | Registered: 20 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fulvio:
That bull was on a mission with a fixed agenda.

saddly true.

Posts: 1737 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada. | Registered: 21 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I 2012 my wife and I were in Zim, hunting with Gibbo out of Mwanja camp. Our safari was going better than expected, so we did a side trip to Mana Pools. One of the appies was our guide. He had a .458 in a case under his seat, not much use in an emergency. We stopped about 50 yards shy of a feeding elephant. A photo safari car pulled alongside of us and the driver asked if we minded if he went closer. Our appie said no, and the Cruiser with two open high seats in the back went closer. About that time an unseen cow stepped out from behind a bush, stepped into the two track, screamed loudly, and smacked the hood of the Cruiser with her trunk a couple of times. Fortunately she then turned and went away. I'm sure that the photo tourists needed a wardrobe change, but no damage was done. You just can't fix stupid!