Find
Notify
Tools

I wish I packed?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted
I will be making my first trip to Africa, 10 days for buf in the Selous. A question for all of the experienced Africa hunters out there. What is the one thing you needed or wanted but was not on any packing list? (Hope this has not been asked recently, I did a search and could find nothing)

one of us
Picture of Spring
posted Hide Post
Quite honestly, it's probably easier to think of things I wish I had not packed. It's easy to take more stuff than you need.
One thing I haven't seen listed but used frequently was a battery charger for my video camera that plugged into a cigarette lighter. I carried an extra battery and if needed would recharge the one not in use during the day while hunting so that I knew I'd always have one good to go.

Posts: 1445 | Location: Bronwood, GA | Registered: 10 June 2003Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
powdered gatorade can sure spruce up bore-hole water.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

one of us
posted Hide Post
The right batteries for the illuminated reticle of the scope! Fortunately did not needed ... but ...

Usually had too much stuff. Gonna take two changes of clothes, camera kit, cleaning kit, insect repellent, hat, sunglasses, and a shaving kit next time.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Most everyone overpacks, at least where clothing is concerned. Three changes is plenty, but take some lounging clothes for around the fire. Be comfortable.

Definately pack at least one extra memory card for your camera. When I shot my leopard, I took the card out after all the photo shoot was over and kept separate. That was one that nothing was going to happen to.

The biggest thing for my wife and I were OTC meds, and minor first aid stuff. Neosporin for all the scratches, Imodium for the slight upsets of all the new and unusual foods, maybe some Advil for all the sore muscles which you thought you had in shape. Some eye drops to flush your eyes of dust, from riding in the back of the Cruiser all day.

Like New Guy mentioned, the little packets of powdered PROPEL, to give you enery and kill the flat taste of water. Even bottled wateris made better by it.

Have a great time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posts: 1517 | Location: Idaho Falls, Idaho | Registered: 03 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would suggest taking along a mild laxitive. All that time-zone jumping and different diets can lead to constipation, and that can get critical. Ruin your hunt.

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mustbhuntn
posted Hide Post
Wish I had some type of sleeping aid for that damn airplane ride. shocker

Posts: 322 | Location: Green Forest, Arkansas | Registered: 24 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Take a bottle of YOUR favorite libation-nothing like your favorite brand!!!!!!!

Bob Clark

Posts: 330 | Location: Vanderhoof'British Columbia | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Your favourite libation is the MUST have........especially if it's wine or champagne.

Though I've found SA to have a better selection of malt whiskies than Oz. Big Grin

Verbera!, Iugula!, Iugula!!!

Blair.

Posts: 8808 | Location: Sydney, Australia. | Registered: 21 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Get your eyeglass screws tightened before you go...one lens always seems to fall out on the plane!

Put duct tape over your scope turrets...I swear those TSA guys twiddle the knobs sometimes. Maybe that's how they figure out if the scope is what it seems to be or something.

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2932 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LRH270
posted Hide Post
mustbehuntin --

The magic answer is called Seraquel. Puts me to sleep for 15-18 hours coffee

RMEF Life Member
SCI
DRSS
Chapuis 9,3/9,3 + 20/20
Simson 12/12/9,3
Zoli 7x57R/12
Kreighoff .470/.470

We band of 9,3ers!

The Few. The Pissed. The Taxpayers.

Posts: 1582 | Location: Arizona and Nevada since 1979. | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jorge400
posted Hide Post
Gaiters

"...Africa. I love it, and there is no reason for me to explore why. She affects some people that way, and those who feel as I do need no explanation." from The Last Safari

Posts: 839 | Location: Greensboro, Georgia USA | Registered: 17 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jorge400:
Gaiters

animal

[Edited for clarification: I am not laughing at the idea of gaiters, I was in camp with Jorge400 when he forgot his. Kind if an inside joke. I would definitely recommend taking a pair.]

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kudu4u
posted Hide Post
A bit of an aside but consider hunting boots with a gumshoe type sole as the more aggressive vibram treads are noisy on the stalk, Chippewa and others have this.

"In these days of mouth-foaming Disneyism......"--- Capstick
Don't blame the hunters for what the poachers do!---me

Benefactor Member NRA

Posts: 477 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 13 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Oday450
posted Hide Post
Seraquel is a potent medication usually prescribed for uses other than sleeping. Ambien might be a better choice!

"Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult."

Posts: 1313 | Location: The People's Republic of Maryland, USA | Registered: 05 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Stealth
posted Hide Post
I will second the Ambien recommendation. Restful sleep for 8 hours and no hangover.

The one thing I wish I had brought was a headnet. Sitting in a blind all day with sweat bees buzzing around your head can be distracting and you don't want to be waving your hands when a trophy waterbuck standing 6 feet in front of the blind is staring at you! I bought a bush hat with a roll down net that is pretty transparent at LL Bean. It's in my "Africa" box now, ready for my trip to RSA and Namibia in 2009.

"Personal is not the same as important", Corporal Carrot, Men at Arms

Posts: 144 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 04 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I asked a similar question last year. Here is the thread. Great info.

https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/8121043/m/518104707

Posts: 355 | Location: Sandpoint, ID | Registered: 24 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A few dollars worth of local cash can be useful when you arrive. Tips, etc. Small gifts for staff.

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Allout
posted Hide Post
Money, money and some more money. There will be things you will want to purchase (maybe even additional animals) so take plenty of extra scratch, just in case you get an itch.
Good luck on your trip.
Brian

"If you can't go all out, don't go..."

Posts: 745 | Location: NE Oklahoma | Registered: 05 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Depending on what you're used to eating at home, you may want to bring a few packages of dried fruit. I've hunted in Namibia and South Africa, and while the food I had was wonderful, it was very heavy on the meats and starches, and pretty light on fruits and vegetables-- kind of the opposite of what my body is used to here at home.
You might also consider small hard-sided containers of some sort to bring home small fragile things like feathers, acaia twigs (yeah, I know you're not supposed to bring that sort of stuff into the US but I do anyway)or small handicrafts.
I have to agree with others, though. You very likely will overpack. My second trip to Africa I was able to get almost all my clothes and gear into my carry-on: a camera bag and a regular under-the-seat sort of bag.
Bring paperbacks for the flight and "quiet time" in your tent, and a journal.

Posts: 281 | Location: southern Wisconsin | Registered: 26 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by samwise:
Take a bottle of YOUR favorite libation-nothing like your favorite brand!!!!!!!

Bob, I don't recall seeing anything you brought last year. Was it all gone by the time you got to Falks' or did you and Bernie just not share??

Posts: 281 | Location: southern Wisconsin | Registered: 26 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Gayne C. Young
posted Hide Post
I always wish I had taken more photos.

Visit my homepage
www.gaynecyoung.com

Posts: 710 | Location: Fredericksburg, Texas | Registered: 10 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Take less clothing,,, Take more pictures and video, take a log book and at every break in the action pull it out and record where you have been, what you saw or tracked, what you ate,,,it will be invaluable to you to remember the details, after several weeks, days run in together and after 6 months at home,,, it makes good reading around the fire when you are looking at the pictures. Take plenty of batteries, memory chips, film, etc. Take extra glasses or sunglasses, all the otc meds as reccomended. Be able to layer clothing depending on where in Africa, nights can get pretty chilly. Most important, the most comfortable, best footwear and socks that you already have broken in.Pre-moistend toilets were extremely handy in the bush and take up very little room in the daypack,,, you can guess some of their most important uses.....

you can make more money, you can not make more time

Posts: 786 | Location: Mexia Texas | Registered: 07 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
And absolutely pack some gatoraid, or some form of powederd drink mix,,, bottled water can taste like drinking out of a water hose on a hot day and it can be good to replace your eletrolytes

One of Us
Picture of Trophyman
posted Hide Post
I took 6 uninflated soccer balls and an airing needle. WOW !!! Did the trackers and skinners love that !!
It was great to watch them play like youngsters. Gave them a good, well deserved break from their hard jobs.

Trophyman

Benefactor Member NRA
SCI
California Rifle & Pistol Assoc.
Drive a 69 Chevelle SS396

Posts: 145 | Location: Bakersfield, CA. | Registered: 15 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike

When I was in the selous last july I wore old running shoes rather than boots and they worked fine. Bring 2 pair plus slippers to lounge around the camp fire.

The camp I was at had all the booze,wine, cuban cigars, beer pop etc that you could ask for, unfortunately I was too tired by the end of the day to tie one on.

Get one of those plug adapters and charge extra batt when generator on. Most battery rechargers will handle the high voltage.

bring an extra camera incase one is doa

Add up all the possible trophy fees (not just the ones you think you'll shoot but all that you have license for) and use that as a starting point for how much $$$ to bring.

get a 3 liter camelbac. You'll be humping big time thru the boonies.

Finally go with no preconecptions. Let the hunt unfold on its own.

PM me for any more info. I'm jealous. who you going with?

Posts: 193 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 11 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you're a coffee drinker DEFINITELY bring a bag or two of your favorite brand, depending on length of trip. Believe me, NO ONE in Africa knows how to make decent coffee. No maker, no problem, boil some water in a sauce pan and add coffee. Settle with cold water or egg shells. You'll figure out about how much soon enough. Basic rule is one TB per 8-12 ounce cup plus one for pot.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
One thing I forgot to mention is my wife is coming as an observer. Any comments from any observers would also be appreciated. BTW great responses so far, especially the coffee. We drink Community coffee down in Louisiana. I will have to bring a couple of pounds.

Thanks,

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike

My wife came along as an observer and ended up going on all stalks with us.

My 1 and only experience with hunting in the selous is that you leave in the morning and don't come back until dark.

So it's not like you can let your wife sleep in and come back at noon to pick her up. Although I suppose you could but the problem would be if you are out in the sticks 4 miles away from the truck stalking buff.

Oh, yeah, maybe take a couple days pre or post selous to go to Zanzabar and take a spice tour and stay in the stone town. Also figure on buying a tanzanite ring. It's all cash and carry, travelers check are ok but no credit cards some atms.

Posts: 193 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 11 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Take a cheap Polaroid camera and take instant pictures of the trackers with some of the game. They seem to love it. Also a small hand held tape recorder is wonderful for dictating notes at night about the events of the day. Also just put it on the breakfast table early in the morning and replay the sounds of camp waking up when you get home. It is a great shot of nostalgia. MUFASA

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Camera that prints photos on the spot.
Two more bags of hard candy.
More pictures.
A couple of deflated soccer balls, a needle and a hand pump for the "guys".
Deltaprim instead of Larium

I will leave everything (clothes, meds, extra batteries, digital camera for the PH, ammo, and other "stuff") behind when I come back home.

Posts: 10372 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The coffee is a great idea. Folgers puts coffee
regular or decaf in a bag like tea.That worked very well for me Dave

Posts: 269 | Location: South East Florida | Registered: 01 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
Russ - Good suggestion Re: the eyeglass screws. As you know I leave tomorrow for Zim. Well I checked the screws on my eyeglasses and several were loose. That's something I would never have thought about checking. I just put a jewelers screwdriver in one of the empty slots in my ammo box.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2329 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Labman: Good idea. Speaking from experience, I had that very thing happen to me in Zim last October. Lost one screw out of the only pair of reading glasses that I had. Fortunately we found it, and by the grace of the Lord, found a small enough screw driver to get it back in. As I am "blind" without my reading glasses, I will be taking two pairs on any future trips, along with a small screw driver, as you are doing.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
IF your wife is going,, make sure you bring sunscreen and bug spray for her, if she reads, plenty of books. Long sleeve shirts and long pants, as well as comfortable hiking shoes and a hat. A pair if leather gloves is a big plus as well, it will help with the thorns if she does go on the stalk with you. She gets hung in the thorns and can't get loose and you are chasing a nice animal,,,, ouch for everyone,,,

One of Us
Picture of cable68
posted Hide Post
Mainly echoing above comments.

Things I wish I'd brought:
Laxative

Things I was glad I had:
Polaroid Camera
Hard candy for staff
Neosporin and antiseptic hand cleaner
"campers toilet paper" used it for everytning but it's intended use (see "Wish I'd brought" list)

Caleb

Posts: 1010 | Location: Texan in Muskogee, OK now moved to Wichita, KS | Registered: 28 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike70560:
One thing I forgot to mention is my wife is coming as an observer. Any comments from any observers would also be appreciated. BTW great responses so far, especially the coffee. We drink Community coffee down in Louisiana. I will have to bring a couple of pounds.

Thanks,

Same brand I carry, dark roast. beer

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will be in Namibia for 2 weeks in July and will definitely have Community coffee, Tony Chachere's and Tabasco in my luggage.

BUTCH

C'est Tout Bon
(It is all good)

Posts: 1928 | Location: Lafayette, LA | Registered: 05 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wooly ESS
posted Hide Post
Duct tape.

My large duffle was dragged across a protruding nail in the floor, and it ripped the bottom out. My wife and I spent far too much time looking for a hardware store that sold duct tape, in order to patch it up.

Ironically, I had thought of taking duct tape before I left, but decided not to bother.

The truth will set you free,
but first it's gonna piss you off!
www.ceandersonart.com

Posts: 574 | Location: The great plains of southern Alberta | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am prone to chaffing and therefore never forget some sort of suitable cream,I have found Paw Paw cream to be very effective. A bad case of "scrot rot" can be a real piss off.

Posts: 1224 | Location: Western Australia | Registered: 31 July 2006Reply With Quote