Tools

I wish I packed?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BEGNO:
I will be in Namibia for 2 weeks in July and will definitely have Community coffee, Tony Chachere's and Tabasco in my luggage.

Begno,

Since the seasons are reversed and their September-October is like our March-April do you know of a place to get crawfish down there? If so I will bring my burner and Zatarains. Big Grin

All,

Appreciate all the good ideas, keep them coming. Smiler

posted Hide Post
The one item that I didn't think I would need was an alarm clock!! There were none for us. We would wake up and meet for breakfast but without the clock it was a pain and worry about oversleeping every morning.
The best of luck to you. SLOW DOWN and enjoy the ride. That was THE best time of my life!!

The foundation for old age is good memories.

Posts: 15 | Location: louisiana | Registered: 24 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
By far the best recent purchase I've made was a Flip video camera. It is about the size of a pack of cigarettes and holds 1 hour of decent video, and the best part is it costs only about $120, so it's not the end of the world if it gets smashed.

I read a review in the paper, then ordered one on line that arrive just the day before I left for Zim earlier this month. It was worth every penny. I mostly just shot dozens of 20-30 second videos of the sights and sounds of the animals on the ground, skinners at work, the amazing process of elephant butchering, blood trails, riding in the land cruiser, a hard working dung bettle, the campfire, etc. It was convienient to carry in my shirt pocket. It really did a great job of helping to capture the atmosphere compared to the hundreds of still photos I took.

I'm still on the first set of AA batteries and I watched all of the videos each night in camp. I can't comment on durability, but in my mind it has already paid for itself. The one warning is to definitely read the directions. They warn that if you disconnect it from a computer before closing the software you can irrepairably damage it. It is a must have on all of my trips from now on.

Bob

DRSS

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, why are they made out of meat?"

"PS. To add a bit of Pappasonian philosophy: this single barrel stuff is just a passing fad. Bolt actions and single shots will fade away as did disco, the hula hoop, and bell-bottomed pants. Doubles will rule the world!"

Posts: 815 | Location: MT | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'll add one more: a second scope, in a set of rings, and prezeroed so you don't waste ammo trying to get it on the paper. You can usually do a good trade on an extra scope at the end of a hunt.

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2932 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
I don't know what your safari experience is so don't take offense if something is obvious. Batteries, batteries, and more batteries!!!! If you don't use them all I'm sure your PH will appreciate them as a present. GPS comes in handy if you have one. Wet wipes for eyeglasses to use on your scope and binos for when they get dusty. I liked my gators and will use them again. Not much on clothes as they will do laundry regularly, but do bring something warm for the morning and evening truck rides. Shoulder straps for your binos if you don't have them already (keeps the damn things from swinging around). Booze isn't a bad idea if it's important to you and you're particular about what you drink. A journal to write down the days events may be something to consider. Make sure you break in your hunting boots!!! I'm jealous! Good luck and have fun!

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
Might ask the PH/outfitter if there is something you can bring for them.

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 375 fanatic
posted Hide Post
Camelback and suntann lotion

"Buy land they have stopped making it"- Mark Twain

Posts: 914 | Location: Burgersfort the big Kudu mekka of South Africa | Registered: 27 April 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Steve Malinverni
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BEGNO:
I will be in Namibia for 2 weeks in July and will definitely have Community coffee, Tony Chachere's and Tabasco in my luggage.

I found many type of coffee near the Kalahary Sands Hotel, in one of the in a souvenir shops. The "Boere or Farmer Kickstart Coffee" was the best, tastefull, black and strong.

If you want to try, the shop is looking at KS Hotel, on the right on the Indipendence Avenue on the same side of the KSH, at short distance from the crossroad.

bye
Stefano
Waidmannsheil

Posts: 1653 | Location: Milano Italy | Registered: 04 July 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
everything in a carry-on. Now I do. I only check my rifle case (ammo inside or other ammo arrangements) with the airline. I

If you cannot pack all necessary items in a carry-on bag and checked rifle case----repack as you have too many items. Rethink the trip and realize that you will be hunting, only. I even fit a battery powered fan in my carry-on!!!

Good luck and good hunting.

Posts: 64 | Location: Ohio, USA | Registered: 30 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I wish I had packed a small point & shoot digital camera. The kind that fits into your shirt pocket and is very quick to use. There is always something new and exciting around every corner and having to take time to break out a bigger camera made me miss a lot of candid shots. I'll know better next time.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Second the head net suggestion, or anything that will keep the Mopani flies out of your nose, ears, eyes, etc.

Never worry about theory as long as the machinery does what it's supposed to do.

Posts: 301 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanajcj
posted Hide Post
Bring old tshirts and caps they are great as an added tip. I usually clean out my closet and bring a dozen or so to hand out. Also I always stop and pickup some cigarettes, they usually go faster than the candy. jj

LostHorizonsOutfitters.com
----------------------------
"You may all go to hell, and I will go to Texas"
Davy Crockett 1835
----------------------------

Posts: 696 | Location: Texas, where else! | Registered: 18 July 2003Reply With Quote