Find
Notify
Tools

A One Gun Safari
 Login/Join

Picture of T.Carr
posted
Ladies and Gentlemen,

We are headed to ZIM this season for a 12 day safari with Swainson's in Dande North with PH Kevin du Boil (a repeat of our safari last season).

We are going to concentrate on buffalo and sable. Hopefully, I won't miss the shot on the sable like I did last season. Mad We also have zebra, kudu and bushbuck on quota. We will only go after those animals as targets of opportunity while hunting buffalo or sable (or if we have time, after taking buffalo and sable).

So I am thinking, no need to drag along the .416 and the .375. Really it seems to me the best option is just take the .375. Plenty of power for the buffalo and perfect for the plainsgame. I'll probably use solids on the bushbuck as I want a full mount.

The only risk is that it is a one gun safari. So I better check and see if they have a loaner rifle in camp, in case something happens to my .375.

What do you think of my plan?

Regards,

Terry

Msasi haogopi mwiba [A hunter is not afraid of thorns]

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Terry,

Wise decision my friend.

That is precisely what I have been doing for the past few years, and despite Walter sharing my rifle with me, we have never had any problems.

In fact, I have done it so often, I never give it a second thought any more.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68614 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Terry, I see you are going back again. I loved that area. Are you going to fly BA?

Posts: 297 | Location: california | Registered: 20 January 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
AKA,

No, we are going on SAA. Our first time on the Airbus with SAA thumbdown. We did fly an Airbus coming back last season. Business Class on Swiss Air. It was like an oven in there and no air circulation.

We really liked the camps and Dande North. We are going to be in Mukanga camp, which was our favorite camp. Great buffalo hunting and I really want a sable. Kevin is just one of the most honest and ethical PHs. We had a great time with him. Plus, he is a damn funny story teller.

Regards,

Terry

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
...just take the .375. Plenty of power for the buffalo...

Really? I thought it was the bare minimum.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Terry, I wish you the best of luck on your sable.
I'm going to try to get my sable in Zambia this Aug..I will miss going to Zim this year!

posted Hide Post
I would never risk such a trip by bringing a single rifle, and as a lefty, there are never any 'loaners' to be had.

Have a great trip!

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by onefunzr2:
quote:
...just take the .375. Plenty of power for the buffalo...

Really? I thought it was the bare minimum.

Dave,

I don't own a 45-70, so I'm stuck with the .375. Do you think I will be under gunned? Big Grin

Regards,

Terry

Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GeorgeS:
I would never risk such a trip by bringing a single rifle, and as a lefty, there are never any 'loaners' to be had.

Have a great trip!

George

George,

That is the same thing the little voice in the back of my mind is telling me. It is a risk taking just one gun. No really perfect answer here. The convenience of one gun - or the insurance of having two guns.

Regards,

Terry

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Terry!
Good decision on taking the 375. Although sh** can happen at any time, when was the last time a rifle failed completely for you? If it were me (and it has been) I would be more concerned about the scope failing. Take an extra already sighted in scope or make sure your iron sights are on and go!

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Terry,

I only take one rifle, just a .375H&H. I do always have a back up which is my bow. Razzer

~Ann

Posts: 19545 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't own a 45-70, so I'm stuck with the .375. Do you think I will be under gunned?

I'm not a buff expert, nor do I play one on TV, and God knows I won't be dragged into a 45-70 flame, but I suppose in the hands of a skilled hunter even a 22 long rifle would be deadly.

You're not really STUCK with the 375; you have a 416. Please excuse me, I don't mean to hijack your thread, just trying to understand why you would choose the smaller cartridge for such a potentially dangerous bovine. Although you do have an armed PH as backup.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Terry,

I've shot two bushbucks with 300gr Trophy Bonded Bearclaws. The exit damage was minimal, just a 45 cal exit whole and no mess.

FWIW,

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
Terry, if you are going to take two animals, then I would assume you are going to take two shots. My bet is you can handle the recoil from two shots with your 416. Why not take it? The sable is not going to lodge a complaint, at least not on this forum.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by onefunzr2:
quote:
I don't own a 45-70, so I'm stuck with the .375. Do you think I will be under gunned?

I'm not a buff expert, nor do I play one on TV, and God knows I won't be dragged into a 45-70 flame, but I suppose in the hands of a skilled hunter even a 22 long rifle would be deadly.

You're not really STUCK with the 375; you have a 416. Please excuse me, I don't mean to hijack your thread, just trying to understand why you would choose the smaller cartridge for such a potentially dangerous bovine. Although you do have an armed PH as backup.

I don't presume to answer for Terry, he can handle that quite well himself! However, there is absolutely nothing wrong with a 375H&H for Buffalo hunting in any kind of bush. In a close in conflict, the only thing that will stop a charge id a CNS shot, and a 300 gr .375 bullet will do that as well as a 1000 gr 600NE bullet. At longer range the 375 H&H is easier to place bullets properly than it is with larger chamberings, so it is a win, win on both ends!

I would, however take an extra scope already zeroed in if you have QD mounts, and as someone suggested, make sure your irons are spot on! I don't buy this concept that the 375H&H is bare minimum for Buffalo, or in fact for elephant either. People shoot buffalo with 338 Win Mag rifles all the time, with great success. This is done most times by women, and is common, though actually illegal.

Nothing says AFRICA like a 375 H&H bolt rifle, or a double rifle in any chambering from a 9.3 up! Just my two pennies! beer

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree with JBK. Use good quality soft for bushbuck and you'll have minmum damage. I've shot 3 with 300 grain TBBC bullets and they expanded very little. I also agree with an earlier post about a spare scope. I have often gone with one rifle but always take a spare scope sighted in ready to go. For what it's worth I would take the 416. Use 350 grain softs and 400 grain solids and your good to go. Just my opinion but I always seem to draw the tough ornery buffs. Last one took 6 458 Lotts in the chest before deciding to fall over. cheers

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Terry,

Seems to me that the inconvenience of a second gun is pretty minimal when compared to what could go wrong. I take two guns with me on every hunting trip that I take. You just never know.

If you take two guns must they be different calibers? As I remember you can't have two guns of the same caliber in RSA. What about Zim? What are the rules when travelling through RSA to Zim? I am thinking that this would save some hassels with ammo.

Doug

Doug

Posts: 280 | Location: Ft. Worth, TX | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Terry: those rifles you own are well-made weapons and I serioulsy doubt they'll break on safari. IF they do, it's likely be the firing pin or the extractor I would venture. You can do those yourself, but I sould definetly take a spare scope. The 375 will do it all, my best friend who wnet with me to Zim this pat June, took everything from budffalo at 25 yards to a kudu at over 350 using Swift A Frames. jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Terry,

I've been on two African trips the first being to RSA and Zim, and the second to Tanzania. I have packed my CZ 375 securely in my TuffPak, and it's the only rifle I have ever carried. It has taken two Buffalo, and 8 species of plains game without a problem. Go for it, and good hunting.

Posts: 551 | Location: Woodbine, Ga | Registered: 04 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I see no reason why you should be concerned. I've gone with one rifle and had no problem. The most likely problem is lost luggage, since most of us put both guns in one case, taking a second rifle won't help.

TerryR

Posts: 1903 | Location: Greensburg, Pa. | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Just take both guns.

Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all your replies.

Personally, I don't have the least hesitation in using a .375 on buffalo. Can't say it any better than in Mac's reply above.

I'm more comfortable in my shooting abilities with the .375, if I need to take a longer shot on the sable or other plains game.

So, I think it's going to be a one gun safari with the .375.

Regards,

Terry

One of Us
posted Hide Post
ONE GUN SAFAIR?????????? good grief I takes me at least 3 to shoot a crat in the backyard gunsmile

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
"T" Never have been, but with all you guys have posted over the years,, if BUFF is the main course, why not just take the 416 if its going to be a one gun trip?

Stay Alert,Stay Alive
Niet geschoten is altijd mis

Hate of America is the defeat position of failed individuals and the failing state

Posts: 1529 | Location: Tidewater,Virginia | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
Dave,

I think why I'm leaning toward taking just the .375 is because, for me personally, I feel more comfortable using it on longer shots. If I am lucky enough to get my buffalo early in the safari, then I'll have the chance at 4 species of plains game. The buffalo is almost certainly going to be at a range of less than 100 yards. The plains game may present shots at significantly longer ranges.

Regards,

Terry

One of Us
posted Hide Post
As a point of consideration - Jorge400 (in the post above this one - has two ground squirrels he took on safari. Do yo think the 375 is adequate for both buff and ground squirrels? Do they run after being heart/lung shot? I'm really just trying to help in answering your oft asked but seldom answered question of the one gun safari. The chance squirrel issue does bring in another aspect that you have not as yet properly weighed. Roll Eyes

Posts: 107 | Location: Johannesburg South Africa | Registered: 18 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
T.Carr:

In the old days in the US there was an expression: " Beware of the man with one gun" (referring to the "turkey shoot" competitions) Obviously it referred to the fact that he was very likely to be a crack shot with that rifle. 'nuff said! Smiler

Posts: 800 | Location: NY | Registered: 01 June 2005Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by T.Carr:
.375 is because, for me personally, I feel more comfortable using it on longer shots.
Terry

Enough said. thumb

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

one of us
Picture of Jorge400
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Berger:
As a point of consideration - Jorge400 (in the post above this one - has two ground squirrels he took on safari. Do yo think the 375 is adequate for both buff and ground squirrels? Do they run after being heart/lung shot? I'm really just trying to help in answering your oft asked but seldom answered question of the one gun safari. The chance squirrel issue does bring in another aspect that you have not as yet properly weighed. Roll Eyes

animal Good point. Terry, save yourself the embarrassment of not being properly gunned in event of a ground squirrel charge. Take a .22 LR along as well. Roll Eyes

"...Africa. I love it, and there is no reason for me to explore why. She affects some people that way, and those who feel as I do need no explanation." from The Last Safari

Posts: 839 | Location: Greensboro, Georgia USA | Registered: 17 July 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
I'm on a limited budget. I don't think I have the money for the Trophy Fees on the ground squirrels. Big Grin

Regards,

Terry

One of Us
Picture of Karl S
posted Hide Post
The .375 H&H is plenty enough gun that you will ever need on a first shot at cape buffalo. (Provided you use the right bullets, my choices in cronological order- Swift 300gr A_Frame, Rhino 300gr or heavier, Barnes X 300gr, or any good monolithic solid or Woodleigh solids). Most of my clients with 9.3s or .375s used only one shot to down their buff, where a larger % of hunters using heavier cartridges needed a second or third shot, mostly due to shot placement. sport hunters need only a .375 for buff, and .416 for elephant IMO.

Karl Stumpfe
Ndumo Hunting Safaris www.huntingsafaris.net
karl@huntingsafaris.net
P.O. Box 1667, Katima Mulilo, Namibia
Cell: +264 81 1285 416
Fax: +264 61 254 328
Sat. phone: +88 163 166 9264

Posts: 1336 | Location: Namibia, Caprivi | Registered: 11 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
Terry, you're way more experienced with Africa than me, so I'm not even sure why I'm posting here, but...

On my return flight from Namibia last year (first safari) the airline baggage apes broke the stock on one of my rifles. IF I had taken only one rifle, and IF the breakage had happened on the way over, my dad and I would have had to share his .270 WSM, as Vaughan's only rifle (that I saw) was an open-sighted .458 - hardly suitable for that 315 yard shot on kudu.

I very much prefer the insurance of two rifles. In fact, I often carry two guns when calling coyotes within an hour drive of home. My choice - take both.

Posts: 3300 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mbogo375
posted Hide Post
Terry,

Take the 375 and a spare scope, and don't worry about it. Been there, done that on several hunts including buff, lion, leopard, etc, with no problems.

Enjoy your hunt,
Jim

Posts: 1206 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 21 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of byf42
posted Hide Post
maybe a dumb question here... but what distance will the shot on a sable be?

*We Band of 45-70er's*

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Posts: 497 | Location: Illinois | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
T Carr ----- Those saying one rifle is enough are correct, but only if you know the kind of rifles your PH has if you had to use one, and you can use them to your satisfaction. I took two rifles, a .416 Rem and a .358 STA. I could have taken only the .416 Rem but I knew my STA would remain home crying in the vault because it didn't make the trip. I just couldn't make the Safari without my old friend. When I go back I will take two again. wave Good luck and good shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2362 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
What month is your hunt? Some of the better sable areas offer some longish shooting. I'd lean towards the .375 too. More shootable for work at 200 on out, imo. Ask Kev to speak to Lance Nesbitt about the sable. I saw a number of fine bulls with him on our many buffalo walks. Remember, it's primarily a big game area and as you say, good PG there are often trophies of opportunity. I took Dande's 2nd best waterbuck that way, with Lance. I'd be ready for the long shot, myself.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: 14 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Terry,

I'd take 2 rifles just because shit happens. Probably 99 times out of a 100 with a good well maintained rifle, a seperate sighted in scope and a small tool kit you'd be fine but.....

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13004 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Terry..Does this type of landscape look familar?

I hope it does.Its a 30 minutes(walk) from the Swainson's Dande North camp! Rolling hills and rock! I bet a buff is facing you at 60 yards! Just trying to remind you what's waiting for you..steve

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You should be fine. We shot nearly everything with a .375 at Dande North last summer - 3-buff, 2- sable, and others.
I would not hesitate.

Posts: 10358 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd take two rifles just cause I like rifles. The more the merrier. Variety is the spice of life.

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote