Notify
Tools

A One Gun Safari
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
jorge,

My Sable experience is quite limited, but I know of one particular instance where the ph told the client to leave his 338 and use the 416.

I still believe a 338 will work on the Sable. Just hit him right.

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mbogo375
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jorge:
Thanks for your insight Wendell. A sable is in my future along with a leopard and I was just planning on my 300 Weatherby and my 338 as my two gun safari (no buffalo). To be honest, I feel kinda naked w/o at least a 375 over there, but I would have never even considered a 375, much less a 416 for sable. Might have to rethink, but regardless, I'll leave the 416 at home and either go 338/375 or as planned. Reason being, my "leopard scope" is on my 338 and 210 Partitions. I feel confident that will iron out a sable also, but one never knows if a "good deal" on buff, lion, etc crops up. decisions, decisions! jorge

PS: Terry, sorry for the thread hijack.

Jorge,

Sable are in the same general class toughness wise as gemsbok and zebra. Anything that works on those will work on a sable also. I would normally use my 375 since it is my "standard" rifle, but would feel adequately armed with a 338 (assuming tough premium bullets).

Incidentally I did shoot one with a 416, but I was hunting elephant at the time Wink .

Jim

Posts: 1206 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 21 July 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Jim: I have to add, that I would feel TOTALLY comfortable with my 300 Weatherby and a good 180 premium like a TSX, Swift or Nosler, but one more vote for the 375 H&H as THE caliber for africa for a one rifle safari. jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mbogo375
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jorge:
Thanks, Jim: I have to add, that I would feel TOTALLY comfortable with my 300 Weatherby and a good 180 premium like a TSX, Swift or Nosler, but one more vote for the 375 H&H as THE caliber for africa for a one rifle safari. jorge

Jorge,

No arguments from me Smiler. I used a 300 Wby barrel on my Blaser for a hunt in Namibia for Gemsbok and Springbok (with 180 grain Failsafes). I took two of each from about 200 to over 400 yards, and none required a second shot (although I did get impatient, and shot one Gemsbok a second time as he was doing the little circular run they sometimes do when heart shot ). It definitely will work.

Over the years I have shot a BUNCH of Zebra for cat baits, mostly with a 375. It is very interesting to see how much the reaction to the shot will vary from animal to animal with the same shot placement. The farthest that I have had one run was actually from a heart shot, and he went about a quarter mile. Another , on a frontal chest heart shot, reared up and fell over backwards, dieing on the spot. You just can't predict what the reaction will be in every case.

It is amazing how tough those animals can be, but they are not armor plated, so good bullets and shot placement will work fine.

Jim

Posts: 1206 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 21 July 2000Reply With Quote