Find
Notify
Tools

Exactly A Year Later
 Login/Join

Administrator
posted
Ladies and Gentlemen,

It just dawned on me that we are going to be going on our next safari on the same date as we did last year!

We've had quite a bit travelling to do this year. I am out of the country right now, and will be back at the end of the school break second week in September, and 3 weeks later we head out to Tanzania to hunt with our friends the Vincents.

I spoke with Alan a couple of days ago, and he seems to be just as excited as we all are.

I am hoping to do the usual and give you all daily live reports from our camp.

So stay tuned to another adventure, starting 28th of September.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 67465 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good luck Saeed!

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7575 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
good luck & think up something evil to do to walter Wink

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have a good time and a safe trip.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
No preliminary teasers about Walter's preparations? Eeker rotflmo

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11020 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Even now the smarter buffalo are making for the next concession!

Have a great time.

Posts: 477 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 21 July 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Will you take me?

Best regards, D. Nelson

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Dear Uncle Saeed,

How are things? It's been a while since I have written. All is well here. I hear you are going to Africa again soon. Do you remember your letter from last year saying you thought a trip would be good for me and you offered to take me the next time you went? I think you are right and so await your further instructions as to where I should meet you for our adventure. I have been practicing my swahili and am using the word 'bloody' in about every fourth sentence now, I figure I'll fit right in in Tanzania.

Looking forward to our trip,

Y'r ob't sv't,

Nephew Baxter

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dang Baxter, you beat me to it!

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good news for me. I will be back from Africa just in time to start following the Grand Adventure here on AR. Good luck and safe travels to the entire Tanzania Crew, and please keep the field reports coming.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Time to break out the rubber snakes! :-)

Posts: 20141 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
Have fun

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3103 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Walter called last night.

"Which mountain are you climbing now?"
"I am not climbing any mountain. We are hiking in the mountains"

"Same thing. Only daft people go hiking and climbing mountain. There is plenty of flat ground to walk on. Nice beaches for instance. With pretty girls in bikinis. Instead of watching mountain goats"

"Are you just calling to complain?"

"No, you have not told me who is going with us this year"

"Oh it is going to be GREAT this year. My friend who is coming with us has been approved by both Roy and Alan. Roy said the best part is this friend is not too impressed with you. So him and Roy are going to make your life miserable. I am giving you early warning, just in case you want to stay home!"

"Listen, you and Roy have been giving me a hard time for so many years. I have become IMMUNE! Now, who is coming with us?"

"He will give you an early warning. He is coming to Dubai before we go"

"What is his name? Do I know him? Has he been hunting with us before? Come on, answer me"

"He met with Roy, and they have made a pact to make you pay back all the nasty things you have done to Roy"

"Roy is my friend now. He has lost some of his nastiness in his old age. The bad part is Alan is becoming nasty now. He is spending too much time with you, that is the reason"

"Can we finish this conversation now? The kids have finished their ice cream, and ready to keep going"

"You have ice cream on the mountains too?"
"Yep, Ice cream, drinks, food, and lots of pretty girls walking too"

"Mmm, I should try hiking in the mountains if they have ice cream and pretty girls"

"Well, I asked you to come. You decided not to"

"I do not have any wish to end up like that poor Austrian man who fell into an ice crevice and froze to death"

"You mean you prefer to be killed by mosquitoes and tze tze flies instead?"

"OH, I forgot to tell you. Nelson told me a very well known hunter in Argentina has just died from tze tze flies bite. Nelson has a bad sense of humour. He said the hunter has gone to the Happy Hunting Ground finally"

"See you there then"
"Not yet. I want to enjoy a few more years of making your life miserable"

"OK, keep on planning. See you in three weeks time"

Posts: 67465 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
Saeed,

It's true, Mr. Eduardo Gerlero passed away after returning from Africa because doctors faild to identify what was killing him. It seems he was bitten by an infected Tse Tse fly. This man was a well known world wide hunter and left many friends behind. If you google him you will know more about his hunting career.

L

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am looking forward to the success and the full running report.
Thanks in advance.

Posts: 177 | Location: Eastern Slopes of the Northern Rockies | Registered: 15 April 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
Always a highlight of the year! Looking forward to the hunt as well!!!

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Ladies and Gentlemen,

I am NOT making the following up. And those who have had the pleasure of meeting Walter, would know what I mean.

He called again.

"I have a problem. I cannot find a 600 Nitro Express double rifle. Do you know where it is?"

"Hang on a minute. What 600 Nitro Express?"
"We came to shoot it in your range a little while ago. And now I cannot find it"

"Is that the one you brought with the 577 and 500 as well?"

"Yes, yes! Do you know where it is?"
"Yes, you took all three of them after I had to shoot them"

"That is what I thought you would say. You normally pester me to take all the guns I bring away as soon as you finish with them"

"Has it occurred to you that has happened about 3 years ago? And only now you are trying to find it?"

"I just realized that I don't know where it is. And knowing you I thought you had hidden it from me"

"You would have loved it here today. It has been raining most of the day. We only hiked about 12 kilometers"

"I love the rain. But not hiking. Not 12 kilometers. Not even ONE kilometer. You and your family are mad!"

"It is going to be very good weather tomorrow. So we will make up any lost hiking then."

"How high have you gotten?"
"My GPS says a little over 12,000 feet. Perfect altitude to clear your lungs"

"Did you do anything silly like parasailing?"
"Not yet. I did not see any here. But, they have a zip line that goes from the top of one mountain to the other side. We might try that"

"Listen, let the younger people do that. At your age you should take things easy! I really hate it when you pretend to be 20 years old again. You are only 2 years younger than me, and I can hardly walk!"

"You have misused your youth, that is why"

"You and Roy make me mad. You two old men cannot realize how old you are, and pretend to be much younger"

"Why cannot you pretend to me much younger then?"

"I do. In my mind. But my body does not agree"
"Don't call unless it is an emergency"

"This IS an emergency. But you were no help, as usual!"

one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
So sorry to hear of Mr. Gerlero's death. Who whould have thought you could die from a tetse fly bite.

It will be interesting to see what type of fly bite prevention Walter comes up with after this news.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4780 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Milo Shanghai
posted Hide Post
How many double rifles would you need to have to not miss a .600 for three years?

Posts: 680 | Location: London | Registered: 03 September 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Saeed: Looking forward to the daily reports and camp hijinx ...

Cool

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16532 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lorenzo:
Saeed,

It's true, Mr. Eduardo Gerlero passed away after returning from Africa because doctors faild to identify what was killing him. It seems he was bitten by an infected Tse Tse fly. This man was a well known world wide hunter and left many friends behind. If you google him you will know more about his hunting career.

L

Lorenzo,

Do you know in which country and where he was bitten. I assume it was sleeping sickness?

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
Saeed,
It sounds like you need a foil to counteract Walter's inanity. I will agree to be his straight man/target if I can come along. No capable double rifle, but have the .395 Max similar to RIP's rifle.
Max

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear of Mr. Eduardo Gerlero's passing. That sort of thing is always a sadness.

We look forward to your safari adventures every year! Always brings a smile or three. Hope things go well this year.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
Walter called last night.

"Which mountain are you climbing now?"
"I am not climbing any mountain. We are hiking in the mountains"

"Same thing. Only daft people go hiking and climbing mountain. There is plenty of flat ground to walk on. Nice beaches for instance. With pretty girls in bikinis. Instead of watching mountain goats"

"Are you just calling to complain?"

"No, you have not told me who is going with us this year"

"Oh it is going to be GREAT this year. My friend who is coming with us has been approved by both Roy and Alan. Roy said the best part is this friend is not too impressed with you. So him and Roy are going to make your life miserable. I am giving you early warning, just in case you want to stay home!"

"Listen, you and Roy have been giving me a hard time for so many years. I have become IMMUNE! Now, who is coming with us?"

"He will give you an early warning. He is coming to Dubai before we go"

"What is his name? Do I know him? Has he been hunting with us before? Come on, answer me"

"He met with Roy, and they have made a pact to make you pay back all the nasty things you have done to Roy"

"Roy is my friend now. He has lost some of his nastiness in his old age. The bad part is Alan is becoming nasty now. He is spending too much time with you, that is the reason"

"Can we finish this conversation now? The kids have finished their ice cream, and ready to keep going"

"You have ice cream on the mountains too?"
"Yep, Ice cream, drinks, food, and lots of pretty girls walking too"

"Mmm, I should try hiking in the mountains if they have ice cream and pretty girls"

"Well, I asked you to come. You decided not to"

"I do not have any wish to end up like that poor Austrian man who fell into an ice crevice and froze to death"

"You mean you prefer to be killed by mosquitoes and tze tze flies instead?"

"OH, I forgot to tell you. Nelson told me a very well known hunter in Argentina has just died from tze tze flies bite. Nelson has a bad sense of humour. He said the hunter has gone to the Happy Hunting Ground finally"

"See you there then"
"Not yet. I want to enjoy a few more years of making your life miserable"

"OK, keep on planning. See you in three weeks time"

rotflmo Your conversations with Walter always crack me up. Big Grin

A 600 NE missing for 3 years?! Eeker

Posts: 7121 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
We have been out most of the time, and I leave my phone on silence.

Walter was getting rather upset because he wasn't, getting any answers, so the SMS started.

And not many of them are very nice!

"I am not getting any answers on the phone! Are you still alive, or have you finally managed to get rid of yourself?"

"Are you going to answer me or do I have to call the mountain rescue service? What country are in?"

"I checked the weather where you are supposed to be. It says snowing at 2000 meters."

I thought I better answer him.

"Just got back from hiking. Left the phone at home."

"What is the point having a phone and leaving it at home? What happens if you break a leg? Or better still your neck?"

"Well, we went on a sort of a zip wire between three mountains. And one cannot use phone while zipping along at 100 kilometer an hour. The kids wanted to do it, so I had to go first. I got a complete video of this with the GoPro action camera. In fact, both me and Stewart took videos while zipping along. We should have given one of the cameras to one of the women! The screaming was so loud it almost started an avalanche! You would have enjoyed this!"

"You don't listen! These sports are for YOUNG people! Not geriatrics like you and me! Hurry back, I want to talk to Alan about my safari"

"You have to wait! The kids are having so much fun"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Saeed,

Unfortunately the diagnosis was confirmed at an advanced state of infection and though we tried desperately to get him the correct medication in time it got there too late.

L

One of Us
Picture of mmassey338
posted Hide Post
WTS - A barely used 600 NE, and it hasn't been fired at all in three years. Sorry, but no ammo included. First $15,000 in small, unmarked bills gets it.
Have a great safari!

Posts: 400 | Location: Here | Registered: 13 December 2011Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
We got back home Saturday, and I had to tell Walter about one of our hikes.

What happened was we were complaining to the ladies and kids that they were far too slow for our hikes - my friend Jonathan and me.

This was at the dinner table at our chalet.

The ladies normally pick what trail we are gloing on the next day. So they picked one that goes for several hours, and told us we have their permission to go on that hike without them.

Next morning, Jonathan and me went off after breakfast. We took the cair lift up, and followed the track our wives had picked for us.

It was a really lovely hike up the mountains. We went through some open meadows, then some quite thick forests, with plenty of animal tracks.

We then came up onto a sort of shale mountain, and the trackruns alongside it. Not very steep, but one has to keep his wits about him. As the track was very narrow, and if one falls, might not stop sliding down until one reaches the forrest about 200 meters down.

We continued on this track, and in some places it was going up, and one has to crawl on his hands and knees to be able to continue going.

After a while of this - I was ahead of Jonathan - I said to him that it might be a good idea to turn back, as I wasn't sure how hard it might get. Also, the mist is coming up, and I really did not want to be stuck up there with no visibility.

We decided to head back, and go up another mountain.

Anyway, we met up with the girls in town for lunch, after we had walked 22 kilometers.

In the evening, we found that we should have read some notes on the back of the map.

They specifically said that the hike we had taken was very difficult, and should only be attempted by expert hikers!

Walter was not too impressed about this.

"You see what I mean? Every time you go to the mountains you do something very stupid, just as you, Roy and Alan do sometime in Africa! Why do you want to go on a zip wire hooker onto a pully? Why do you want to go hiking where only experts are supposed to go? Next you will be going to Mount Everest then?"

"What is all the fuss about? We are all here, in one peace, and nothing had gone wrong with us"

"Nothing wrong with your body. But there is plenty things wrong with your brain! When are you going to load our hunting ammo? And can I bring my Blaser this year?"

"No you cannot take your bloody Blaser. I have all the cases ready, and will load them up in the next day or two"

"Have you got all the permits done from the police and Emirates?"

"No but I will do those this week too"

"Have you got your visa done yet? Has whoever is going with us gotten HIS visa yet?"

Iam getting my visa next week. My friend who is coming with us is getting his own visa"

"I am going to call the girl at the travel agent and ask for the names of people traveling with me to Dar. She will tell me who our guest is"

"Ahh, I have already warned hernot to tell you anything. It is going to be a SURPRISE! Actually, it is someone you have met before. And before you waste time with yoir pointless questions, why don't you sort out those air rifles there and their magazines. Put each magazine it the right rifle, and put them in gun cases"

"Yes, as usual, slave driver. I don't know why I missed you while you were away!"

one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
And the games begin. Have a great trip. Big Grin

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Our sat modem was delivered this morning, together with the new Thuraya XT Dual sat-GSM phone.

All our ammo is loaded, and both rifles are checked with the new batch of ammo.

Both rifles shoot great - again, no excuses for Walter when he miss's!

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fujotupu:
quote:
Saeed,

Unfortunately the diagnosis was confirmed at an advanced state of infection and though we tried desperately to get him the correct medication in time it got there too late.

L

Shit this is bad news! Bieng a survivor myself, I can sympathize with what he went through! Mine was eventually diagnosed on the 7th day since infection....... and by pure coincidence as the treating doctor diagnosed me with a bite form a brown recluse spider!! Eeker

Condolences to the family.

"...Them, they were Giants!"
J.A. Hunter describing the early explorers and settlers of East Africa

hunting is not about the killing but about the chase of the hunt.... Ortega Y Gasset

Posts: 3034 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Be sure Walter gets a full body scan AND body cavity search at the airport before boarding the plane.
I have a suspicion regarding where he hid the fireworks last time.
Watch your back Saeed, and this time, don't break a leg.
popcorn

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Walter is changing his tune now.

He knows he has no friends in the camp, and he has actually started being nice today!

Everyone was laughing at him.

Someone mentioned that Walter had a brain transplant! clap

One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
Best of Luck

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2980 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Walter behaving nicely?
Brain transplant for sure! Big Grin

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Hike in Chatel

For those of you who enjoy looking at photos, you might enjoy having a look at the link above.

One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
Looks like it's good to be Saeed! VERY nice.

Posts: 4862 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I spoke to Alan this afternoon. He is in Dar for a few days before he heads out to camp.

He sounded very excited about our upcoming hunt.

This will make it our 30th year hunting with the Vincents.

Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
Wow...I didn't realize it was 30 years! tu2 That's awesome. I think Roy might deserve a medal for surviving that many trips with Walter. Big Grin

I loved the pictures of Chatel that you posted. Beautiful spot. It is very much like the mountains where I live. Here is a picture I took last weekend and Fort Steele, BC, which is about 10 minutes drive from my house...

I bet you guys are getting very excited about your trip!

Best regards!
Chris

Posts: 7121 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PD999
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
This will make it our 30th year hunting with the Vincents.

Wow, congratulations! beer

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition” ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 1231 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 April 2010Reply With Quote