New
Find
Notify
Tools

Off To Namibia with Karl Stumpf
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Tomorrow morning I will be leaving to hunt leopard with Karl Stumpf in Namibia. To all of you who have taken the time to send words of advice, words of encouragement, or words of concern, I want to offer my sincere thanks.

I am looking forward to a great hunting experience in a land that I truly love. I will be seeing a new part of the country and look forward to this opportunity.

My guns are shooting straight and my bags are packed.I am anticipating that I will have a great time, an exciting hunt and that I will be posting pictures and a report when I get home.

Once again, my thanks to all of you for your kind words and concern.

Hunt hard and keep the wind in your face...mike

We seldom get to choose
But I've seen them go both ways
And I would rather go out in a blaze of glory
Than to slowly rot away!

Posts: 1370 | Location: Shreveport,La.USA | Registered: 08 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
Have a fantastic trip! Let us all know how it goes, with lots of good pictures, please.

Posts: 3860 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
thumb thumb thumb

Have fun and good luck with your hunt.

L

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You lucky dog. You are going to have the most attentive PH in africa after the latest dust up. I would also expect an extra large leopard is in your near future so your report will be a glowing endorsement of KS.

Enjoy it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I sure hope he takes your safari seriously. Frowner
Sounds like he may have learned his lesson on that one...albiet at the expense of Tim.

Good luck, my man and lets hope for a great report when ya make it back.

Posts: 2163 | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good luck and good hunting. Bring back pictures>

Posts: 1903 | Location: Greensburg, Pa. | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can't wait for the report when you get back and the pictures. I bet you could talk me into cooking you a steak and providing an adult beverage as I listen to the stories. You have been training really hard for this hunt, I just hope the dogs can keep pace with you! We all wish you the best and are wishing we were under the same stars, the southern cross and around the mopane fire with you. Godspeed and see ya when you get back. drwes

you can make more money, you can not make more time

Posts: 786 | Location: Mexia Texas | Registered: 07 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
Good luck and have fun.

Will provide an interesting hunt report when you get back no doubt.

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
eyedoc--good luck, and hold hard and shoot straight. I think you are going to have one of your best trips ever.

Posts: 807 | Location: East Texas | Registered: 03 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good luck. I suspect your hunt report will be the most read report published on AR.

Have fun..

Posts: 10200 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Vanderhoef
posted Hide Post
Hopefully the last few days have been filled with the customary excitement and anticipation, instead of fear and trepidation after hearing the latest... Frowner

Good luck and please know that we're all pulling for ya!!

Regards,
Scott

"....but to protest against all hunting of game is a sign of softness of head, not of soundness of heart."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 466 | Location: Just west of Cleo, TX | Registered: 20 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
Good luck Mike. Kill a 180 pounder!!!

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2980 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
I expect you are about to have the most highly attentive PH in the history of Namibia. Please take pictures of Karl doing backflips and running circles around you. Good luck and good hunting to the hunter and the PH.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2988 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of matt u
posted Hide Post
good luck eyedoc.have a fun and safe trip

Posts: 1662 | Location: Winston,Georgia | Registered: 07 July 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Best of luck, have a great time.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9374 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Trip started off a bit shaky. Got to the airport two hours early and checked in only to watch the weather deteriate to the point that nothing was getting in or out.

Forecast was saying that it is not going to get better so my wife and I jumped in the truck and started the drive to Houston where I will connect with Air France for the flight across the big pond.

Contenental says a big old F-U and don't expect credit for the flight either in the form of a refund or even the mileage credit for the miles I drove instead of flying. Oh well, ain't gonna let them folks rain on my parade. A great big thank you to my wife for driving me here.

Another hour and I am out of here. You guys wish me the best. Will report in as often as I can....mike

We seldom get to choose
Than to slowly rot away!

Posts: 1370 | Location: Shreveport,La.USA | Registered: 08 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Best of luck to you.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
Good luck!!! Knock em dead!

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
eyedoc- All African trips are a great adventure. Sounds like yours started off with just that?? Good luck, have a great hunt and will be watching for your update reports.

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

quote:
Originally posted by eyedoc:
Trip started off a bit shaky. Got to the airport two hours early and checked in only to watch the weather deteriate to the point that nothing was getting in or out.

Forecast was saying that it is not going to get better so my wife and I jumped in the truck and started the drive to Houston where I will connect with Air France for the flight across the big pond.

Contenental says a big old F-U and don't expect credit for the flight either in the form of a refund or even the mileage credit for the miles I drove instead of flying. Oh well, ain't gonna let them folks rain on my parade. A great big thank you to my wife for driving me here.

Another hour and I am out of here. You guys wish me the best. Will report in as often as I can....mike

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
My guns are shooting straight

Hey, Eyedoc, I thought you hunted with 'sharpened sticks'!
Are the guns for backup? Do you have a rotator cuff issue?
Have you gone back to the dark side?
Dave

Posts: 227 | Location: Calgary, Canada | Registered: 06 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
Have a great hunt Mike thumb
Cheers,
David

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6804 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kudu4u
posted Hide Post
Mike I'm sure our paths will cross again and will want to hear your stories. I sure do want a leopard too sometime.

"In these days of mouth-foaming Disneyism......"--- Capstick
Don't blame the hunters for what the poachers do!---me

Benefactor Member NRA

Posts: 477 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 13 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If Dr. Wes is cooking, I'm in too. Good luck Mike.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
eyedoc has his 375 H&H mag with him and a 300 win mag as well. I am not sure what bullets he finally decided on but was watching the posts on AR to help him decide. His Bow will be waiting on him when he returns and will take it to Australia next summer to add an Asiatic Buff to the mix,,,, I will have the 416 rigby with me for back up! He loves the sticks more than I do. If they would let him use a bow on leopard in Namibia, that is the way he would do it,,, He did make the flight over and is in transit now, last word I got he was drinkin a heineken in the Air France lounge. If he has access he will post reports or try and send me text updates for me to post until he gets back and files a full report.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the updates Wes, keep us informed.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the clarification, DrWes. He had me worried for a while. I took a couple of Buff in Oz with Simon Kyle-Little...that was a lot of fun!
Dave

Posts: 227 | Location: Calgary, Canada | Registered: 06 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Made it as far as the terminal in Joberg now with one more flight to go. Air France has been very, very good to me. Comfortable seating , good food, pleasant hosts, and on time. Now if my bags just make it I will be fine.

Not shooting the bow this trip because Namibia does not allow it for any Dangerous Game. Maybe next time.

Should be in Windhoek in a couple hours and then it is time to get this party kicked off. Will report back if I am able.If not,as soon as I get back.

Ya'll hold the fort down while I am gone...mike

We seldom get to choose
Than to slowly rot away!

One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eyedoc:
Made it as far as the terminal in Joberg now with one more flight to go. Air France has been very, very good to me. Comfortable seating , good food, pleasant hosts, and on time.

I keep telling people that Air France ain't that bad. Glad your's has been a good experience so far.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Have a great hunt eyedoc.
I hope have an enjoyable safari, come back home safe, and tell us all about it.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 67018 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Eyedoc made it to Namibia and the first major hurdle,,,, all his gear made it to Namibia as well.... now he is ready for the real adventure, the hunt,,,

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by safari-lawyer:
I expect you are about to have the most highly attentive PH in the history of Namibia. Please take pictures of Karl doing backflips and running circles around you. Good luck and good hunting to the hunter and the PH.

My thoughts exactly! dancing=> Look at Karl go!

Posts: 122 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 20 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Karl S
posted Hide Post
Day one had us checking baits and refreshing them.I took a nice old bull from 250 yards with my 300 Win Mag. He went down after a short sprint of about 15 yards. We got him skinned and butchered and hung six baits.

This morning a leopard had walked past one of our baits but did not feed. The pug mark suggests he is a male but not a giant. We sweetened up the bait and will be ready to check our baits again in the morning.

Will try to keep posting as often as I can. Stay tuned for more.....eyedoc posting from KS computer

Karl Stumpfe
Ndumo Hunting Safaris www.huntingsafaris.net
karl@huntingsafaris.net
P.O. Box 1667, Katima Mulilo, Namibia
Cell: +264 81 1285 416
Fax: +264 61 254 328
Sat. phone: +88 163 166 9264

Posts: 1333 | Location: Namibia, Caprivi | Registered: 11 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Bore Boar Hunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Karl S:
Day one had us checking baits and refreshing them.I took a nice old bull from 250 yards with my 300 Win Mag. He went down after a short sprint of about 15 yards. We got him skinned and butchered and hung six baits.

This morning a leopard had walked past one of our baits but did not feed. The pug mark suggests he is a male but not a giant. We sweetened up the bait and will be ready to check our baits again in the morning.

Will try to keep posting as often as I can. Stay tuned for more.....eyedoc posting from KS computer

Good luck Eyedoc! Looking forward to pics of the kitty!

John

Posts: 1343 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 15 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No details yet but we did get a text message from eyedoc yesterday, short and sweet,,,, "Big cat down" details when I get to a computer,,, off to chase elephants...

One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drwes:
No details yet but we did get a text message from eyedoc yesterday, short and sweet,,,, "Big cat down" details when I get to a computer,,, off to chase elephants...

Congratulations. Looking forward to seeing it and the elephants!

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If anyone has time to post his pictures of his leopard on AR I will e-mail them to you

One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
Glad to post them. E-mail to wparks@scottsborolawyer.com or willparks@scottsboro.org

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2988 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wes, you're killing me. Let's see some pics!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have sent the pictures to a couple of our buddies who post on line here. I was going to do it myself but I have to get permission from the administrator on AR to post albums which takes time. I thought it would be quicker to send it to someone already approved. Hopefully that will happen soon.. drwes

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pictures and report posted by safari lawyer under "eyedoc's leopard",,, Thanks, for the help, drwes