Notify
Tools

Experts aim to resurrect mammoth
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
#3-When the lunar lander was designed by NASA they gave it huge foot pads that were designed to cushion the lander as it sat down on the moon's surface. They had expected many feet of dust on the lunar surface due to the accumulation of particles on the surface, the amount of debris in deep space, the gravity of the moon, and the lack of atmosphere.All their calculations, combined with their assumption that the moon was many millions of years old guarranteed many feet of dust accumulated on the surface.

But...they were smart enough to get the thing to the moon...using the same science!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37743 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Does the Pope stating that God was behind the "Big Bang" influence this conversation any?

Jeff

Posts: 2857 | Location: FL | Registered: 18 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nemo .450
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bwana Bunduki:
Does the Pope stating that God was behind the "Big Bang" influence this conversation any?

Jeff

I have found that many GOD fearing people compromise their Biblical beliefs because they want to hold hands with every body. They might be doing it for good reasons, but compromising Biblical teaching for whatever reason is wrong.

I do not wish to offend anyone! I simply do my best to speak the truth, and sometimes the truth hurts...

------------------------------------------------------------------------

He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him. -- John 3:36

http://www.accurateinnovations.com - http://aigunstocks.com/home-2/

NRA Life Member
DSC
SCI
DRSS - STILL waiting on MY "Taksdale" .450NE or a refund... coffee

"Young knight, learn to love God and revere women, so that your honour grows. Practice knighthood and learn the Art that dignifies you, and brings you honour in wars." (Johannes Liechtenauer, 14th century)

Posts: 279 | Location: North-East Georgia | Registered: 12 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I do not wish to offend anyone! I simply do my best to speak the truth, and sometimes the truth hurts...

You speak your truth not the TRUTH as it is but how you BELIEVE it is

One of Us
Picture of Nemo .450
posted Hide Post
So, now that both "sides" have explained themselves, perhaps it would be recomendable to get back to the main topic.

Personaly I think the idea of cloning a mammoth is really neat. After a decade or 2 of being kept in private or in zoos, I hope they will let us hunt them.

I wouldn't have any problem with hunting a "canned" mammoth. I wonder if they will have tuskless cow and non-trophy bull permits...

He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him. -- John 3:36

NRA Life Member
DSC
SCI

"Young knight, learn to love God and revere women, so that your honour grows. Practice knighthood and learn the Art that dignifies you, and brings you honour in wars." (Johannes Liechtenauer, 14th century)

Posts: 279 | Location: North-East Georgia | Registered: 12 November 2010Reply With Quote
Picture of Kenpo_Joe
posted Hide Post
I'll take one mammoth tag. I should be able to afford a good double by the time it is old enough to hunt.

Back on mute. Cool

Meddle not with dragons, for you are good and crunchy with ketchup.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
So, now that both "sides" have explained themselves, perhaps it would be recomendable to get back to the main topic.

Personaly I think the idea of cloning a mammoth is really neat. After a decade or 2 of being kept in private or in zoos, I hope they will let us hunt them.
I wouldn't have any problem with hunting a "canned" mammoth. I wonder if they will have tuskless cow and non-trophy bull permits...

So you believe god give and take but you would have no problem with taking something that man has played your god to remake you controdict yourself..Your logic is dismissed..Also if and when this happens and they allow the hunting of do you think your average joe would be able to do this ima say that to hunt one it will be reserved for the super wealthy and a trophy will cost millions

One of Us
Picture of Nemo .450
posted Hide Post
I have indeed unwittingly contrdicted myself.

I am not favor of cloning, I was just trying to say that I thought it would be cool to hunt a mammoth...

NRA Life Member
DSC
SCI

One of Us
Picture of ChetNC
posted Hide Post
E_R, you mentioned Einstein.

He once said "I do not share the crusading spirit of the professional atheist whose fervor is mostly due to a painful act of liberation from the fetters of religious indoctrination received in youth. I prefer an attitude of humility corresponding to the weakness of our intellectual understanding of nature and of our own being."

Sounds like a plan, doesn't it?

The real questions are: How many assistant guides will ADF&G require for mammoth hunts and how do we strap the ivory to the Super Cub?

Posts: 348 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 03 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have found that many GOD fearing people compromise their Biblical beliefs because they want to hold hands with every body. They might be doing it for good reasons, but compromising Biblical teaching for whatever reason is wrong.

Believe me...I am not a hand holder...and...never compromise my beliefs.

But...I have never seen a conflict between science and being a Christian.

I think that you interpretation of what you read is skewed...just like the man on the roof.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37743 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Express_Rifles:
433,000,000 Mohammedans believe that the Koran was brought by an angel from heaven; 335,000,000 Hindus believe one of their gods, Siva, has six arms; 153,000,000 Buddhists believe they will be reincarnated; 904,000,000 Christians believe a god made the world in six days, Joshua stopped the sun by yelling at it, and Jesus was born of a virgin and nullified natural laws to perform miracles.

There is absolutely no scientific proof of any of these claims. Science has shown them to be contrary to all known facts. It is more intelligent to classify them as false. Religions are all based upon the primitive superstitions of ignorant, stone-age men who had no knowledge of science and thought the world was flat. The Catholic Church imprisoned Galileo for life and burned Bruno at the stake because they disagreed with these superstitious beliefs.

These primitive beliefs have been kept alive by a vast army of priests, preachers, and rabbis because it is to their great profit to promote them, first, by imposing them on the helpless brains of children, and second, by saturating the air, TV, press, and schools with their childish superstitions and unreasonable claims. They fool the ignorant and make the gullible and the intelligent alike pay tribute to them. Their multi-billion-dollar properties and incomes are exempt from taxes; they get half-fare on trains, busses, and planes; and receive billions of dollars in grants of taxpayers' money to help build up their political power, wealth, and luxurious living. Taxes could be cut 10 percent if churches paid their just share. That would mean a probable saving of 20 billion dollars a year to the people of the U.S. every year of their lives. Some priests also indoctrinated with superstition from childhood probably believe what they preach. It pays them handsomely to do so.

Religious beliefs are against common sense. There is no god, just because priests say so. There are no angels, devils, heavens, hells, ghosts, witches, nor miracles. These superstitious beliefs are promoted for the purpose of making the gullible believe that by paying money to the priest-class, they will be favored by one of the gods. There is nothing supernatural -- nothing contrary to natural law.

Religion has caused untold ignorance, murder, torture, fear, poverty, unhappiness, wars, and has kept the world 10,000 years behind the times. It still does, while the millions support the priestly loafers in comfort and ease. For ages the independent thinkers have been murdered, ostracized, tortured, and suppressed and their writings destroyed. Only in recent years have a few courageous thinkers been free to criticize religions.

Great thinkers and scientists -- Voltaire, Thomas Paine, Charles Bradlaugh, Luther Burbank, Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Edison, Charles Darwin, Albert Einstein, Henry L. Mencken, Charles Smith, Joseph Lewis, Rupert Hughes, Bertrand Russell, H.G. Wells, Mark Twain, Herbert Spencer, Thomas Huxley, Clarence Darrow, Chapman Cohen, George McDonald, George Bernard Shaw, and hundreds of others -- have discarded all or most of the religious beliefs.

This will be shocking to the unfortunate victim brain-whipped by religious indoctrination from childhood. But those who have a spark of intelligence will examine the facts, will stop paying tribute to the religious profiteers, and lose their fear of a mythical god and mythical hell.

If the gods which foolish people pray to were decent beings they would not permit innocent children to die of cancer, be blind, suffer from polio, muscular dystrophy, syphilis. A good god would not have manufactured fleas, bedbugs, chiggers, lice, rattlesnakes, sharks, deadly germs, sickness, diseased brains, idiots, and insanity. All these things are the result of blind, natural evolution. A just god would not cause some innocent people to die or be disabled for life in airplane, train, and ship disasters while others survived.

Thank you for the above.

You saved me a lot of typing.

Let the ignorant dream on. Roll Eyes

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Religious beliefs are against common sense. There is no god, just because priests say so.

Just for the record.

1) I do believe in God.

2) I am a Christian.

3) I think that science and religion go together. I see know conflict.

But to believe that animals have not evolved over time would be like refusing to get in that boat when common sense says you are fixing to drown.

Smiler

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
who knew?
you could learn so much just reading about cloning mammoths.
not trying to be a smart a%$ either,very interesting posts.
and just for the record, i'd take one that has been dead for a carbon dated 12000 yrs.
i leave the fresh ones to you guys. Wink

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
God & politics.... two things worth avoiding while discussing Mammoths.

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7623 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
God & politics.... two things worth avoiding while discussing Mammoths.

Agreed!

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
so, am I to assume that dinosaurs roamed the earth as recently as 7000 years ago? it is interesting that cave paintings don't show them even though they definitely show mammoths and mastodons. maybe T-rex wiped out the mammoths through over eating. but who wiped out Trex and his dino friends? oh, that's right-the flood got them all. but why weren't a few put on the Ark? Oh, that's right-they wouldn't fit and play nice with the other critters. but the crocs and gators must have behaved themselves. man, talk about faulty logic!. Maybe Noah put shock collars on the predators to keep them in line. but then you have to wonder if the crocs behaved themselves on the Ark, why didn't the predator dinosaurs? maybe God just decided they were to damn big and needed swimming lessons- if they survived the flood, they deserved a second chance at playing nice- and since they didn't make it, obviously their time was up. since the world is ending in May 2012, it's all a moot point- the end of days is almost upon us. better get in a good hunt while you can.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13391 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
since the world is ending in May 2012, it's all a moot point- the end of days is almost upon us. better get in a good hunt while you can.

Ah crap!! I'm booked for June 2012. That sucks.

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eezridr:
Curious what a Mammoth feasted upon in its environment. I have been up on the tundra a few times. It does not seem like enough food to nourish such an animal; perhaps alders??. They may have actually been pretty rare to begin with. Never witnessed herbivores munching on evergreens but I suppose nature adapts.

You've obviously never killed a deer with a belly full of tender spruce tips.

AD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
since the world is ending in May 2012, it's

Well Its December 21st 2012

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
damn, that's great! it gives me a whole other hunting season before God pulls the plug. i guess the vision it got the other night with the May date must have been sent by Sataan just to scare me- and it sure did.

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Frostbit:
quote:
since the world is ending in May 2012, it's all a moot point- the end of days is almost upon us. better get in a good hunt while you can.

don't sweat it. end of days has been pushed back to Dec. 2012 to let us have 1 more hunting season-MAKE IT A GOOD ONE!!!!!!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Its been December 21st 2012 since they have been broadcasting it.But they dont know exactly how the Myan years work or which Myan year we are currently in so their predictions are moot at best same as Y2k..It reminds me of how caught up people are on 2011 and looking for hidden meaning with how you add how old your going to be this year by the last 2 digits of your birth year and it adds up to 111

One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Frostbit:
quote:

don't sweat it. end of days has been pushed back to Dec. 2012 to let us have 1 more hunting season-MAKE IT A GOOD ONE!!!!!!!

Guess I'll save a lot on taxidermy too.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Spears only!

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote