New
Find
Notify
Tools

a ph's nightmare
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
the client was arriving on a kigair. must be well healed and we wrote that this was his 17th hunt. evidently he still has to have a really good hunt.well i've seen that before and promised him i'd do my best
The plane barely touched down when he jumped down followed by his niece. The guy was in his 50's very large weezing as he shook my hand. His niece howwver was about 22 blond vibrant and right out of amagazine centerfold.
They settl3ed right into camp and since it was late in the day the campfires were lit and sundowners we appreciat4ed by all. the gentleman seemed to really appreciate them the 6th and 7th and 8th A rapid bedtime appeeared
The next morning after a rather large breakfast and a late showing by his niece the day started.
first things first as we headed to the range. He explained that in his 17 safaris he has never actually shot anything but was looking forward to it this time
it was a bit distracting having the niece sitting next to me in the shortest shorts i'd eveer seen. but such is my job
arriving at the range he uncased his rifle. Now everything became clear - no no no nightmare of nightmares now i could see why he never shot anything - in his hands was a BLASER

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchloc:
the client was arriving on a kigair. must be well healed and we wrote that this was his 17th hunt. evidently he still has to have a really good hunt.well i've seen that before and promised him i'd do my best
The plane barely touched down when he jumped down followed by his niece. The guy was in his 50's very large weezing as he shook my hand. His niece howwver was about 22 blond vibrant and right out of amagazine centerfold.
They settl3ed right into camp and since it was late in the day the campfires were lit and sundowners we appreciat4ed by all. the gentleman seemed to really appreciate them the 6th and 7th and 8th A rapid bedtime appeeared
The next morning after a rather large breakfast and a late showing by his niece the day started.
first things first as we headed to the range. He explained that in his 17 safaris he has never actually shot anything but was looking forward to it this time
it was a bit distracting having the niece sitting next to me in the shortest shorts i'd eveer seen. but such is my job
arriving at the range he uncased his rifle. Now everything became clear - no no no nightmare of nightmares now i could see why he never shot anything - in his hands was a BLASER

I bet he is really a FISHERMAN in disguise! sofa

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68679 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Biebs has a niece?

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12695 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
My blond haired Missus is quite deadly with a Blaser Wink

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchloc:

clap

One of Us
posted Hide Post
First of all, Blaser owners are familiar with the concept of capital letters and punctuationSmiler. Mock all you want...Blasers will outshoot those overpriced custom rifle any day of the week! LolSmiler

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
rotflmo jumping rotflmo

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
I am so disappointed. From the author and the title I expected a lengthy autobiography. Is this just the first chapter? Big Grin

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13625 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeE
posted Hide Post
I would like to correct a couple of factual inaccuracies in this thread:

1. My girl friend is brunette, not blonde.
2. I don't have a King Air.
3. If I did, it does not have the range to get to Zambia.
4. I don't have to have help shooting anything.
5. LASTLY - I DO NOT OWN A BLASER!!!!!

Kind of sorta guilty on all other accounts though........

Master of Boats,
Slayer of Beasts,
Charmer of the fair sex, ......
and sometimes changer of the diaper.....

Posts: 350 | Location: HackHousBerg, TX & LA | Registered: 12 July 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
Was the client named MacComber? Please tell us this has a happy ending.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not bad for a first attempt at writing prose, from our own Sir Flatulence!

Posts: 20161 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
How do use sweater as a weapon?

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
I just want to know where things go with the niece! Wink

Posts: 3901 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
………………………………………... jumping

…………………………………………………………….. old I've lost 30 pounds, and my wife wouldn't let me take a NEICE with me, and my Balzer has only one barrel, and is so ugly I wont take it out in public, so I suppose he wasn't talking about me!

……………………………………………………………………..besides being in my 80s I might have a hart attack, if someone saw me with my Blazer!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I bought a Blaser R8 professional success in .300WM specifically for my first African safari. I knew at the time I'd cop a merciless flogging from all and sundry about my choice of firearm.
On arrival in Namibia I reassembled the rifle and fitted the scope to the barrel. Fired one shot at the range and it printed 2 1/2 inches high at 100 yards. Exactly where it was when last fired in Australia. Next shot killed a mountain zebra mare at 250 yards and the third killed a stallion at a lasered 383 yds.
I shot a magnificent 57" kudu later in my hunt as he fled after seeing us. The speed of cycling the action and consequent fusilade prompted our tracker to ask whether I'd been in the army.
Ugly? You bet. Functional? Absolutely. Fast? Very. Accurate? That too. Points beautifully. They just work.

The hunting imperative was part of every man's soul; some denied or suppressed it, others diverted it into less blatantly violent avenues of expression, wielding clubs on the golf course or racquets on the court, substituting a little white ball for the prey of flesh and blood.
Wilbur Smith

Posts: 916 | Location: L.H. side of downunder | Registered: 07 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bushchook:
I bought a Blaser R8 .300WM specifically for my first African safari. I knew at the time I'd cop a merciless flogging from all and sundry about my choice of firearm.
On arrival in Namibia I reassembled the rifle and fitted the scope to the barrel. Fired one shot at the range and it printed 2 1/2 inches high at 100 yards. Exactly where it was when last fired in Australia. Next shot killed a mountain zebra mare at 250 yards and the third killed a stallion at a lasered 383 yds.
I shot a magnificent 57" kudu later in my hunt as he fled after seeing us. The speed of recycling the action and consequent fusilade prompted our tracker to ask whether I'd been in the army.
Ugly? You bet. Functional? Absolutely. Accurate? That too. They just work.

AMEN BOOM

Despite what Mr Todd and Mr Saeed and the rest of the bunch try to convince the rest to believe…

Morten

The more I know, the less I wonder !

Posts: 1142 | Location: Oslo area, Norway | Registered: 26 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My Blaser has been to the dark continent on 4 different trips and accounted for all of the animals I took on those trips. Without a doubt, not the prettiest rifle I own, but it is the safest, dependable, and it's accuracy is right there with the tuned bolt actions I have. It's longer length of pull fits me perfectly.
Go ahead and be merciless but I'm happy with them.

Guns and hunting

Posts: 1113 | Registered: 07 February 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by The Norwegian:
quote:
Originally posted by Bushchook:
I bought a Blaser R8 .300WM specifically for my first African safari. I knew at the time I'd cop a merciless flogging from all and sundry about my choice of firearm.
I shot a magnificent 57" kudu later in my hunt as he fled after seeing us. The speed of recycling the action and consequent fusilade prompted our tracker to ask whether I'd been in the army.
Ugly? You bet. Functional? Absolutely. Accurate? That too. They just work.

AMEN BOOM

Despite what Mr Todd and Mr Saeed and the rest of the bunch try to convince the rest to believe…

Morten

barf

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Todd
You really ought to see a doctor about your stomach issues..........

Guns and hunting

Posts: 1113 | Registered: 07 February 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hogbreath:
Todd

LOL Ricky Bobby!!!

I did. He said stay from ugly rifles.

barf barf

Cool

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My old fashioned bolt rifle usually doesn’t need a second shot, and the ones that go over there are very well capable of sub moa shooting.

My double shoots to well under 2” at the ranges I use it at as well... and when I put a big old scope on it, it shot about moa at 100 if I only shot one barrel.

Why would I want or need a Blaser when my old fashioned guns that don’t look like a plumbers nightmare have killed several hundred head of game? Other than I’d probably shoot worse out of plain embarrassment to have such an ugly gun, what improvement would I get, oh you great advocates of the gunmaker’s abortion?

Posts: 10995 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Damn a bunch of luddities ans old curmudgeons complaining about hot young women and exceptional modern German gunmaking.

Can’t imagine the tall tales of hunting with Perceval and superb accuracy for the best London rifles that was achieved in the good old days that are told around the imaginary mopane campfire Big Grin

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey, if the company wants to provide me with a hot young girl as tent mate, I ain’t kicking her out...

But I still want a classic beauty, no green hair and as much metal from piercings as I carry on the cartridge belt! Big Grin

Posts: 10995 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
I had a client show me how safe Blasers were by shooting a substantial hole through the roof of my dining room. To say I giggled is an understatement. However recently I have been impressed with the accuracy of these rifles.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9956 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
[ Wink QUOTE]Originally posted by fairgame:
I had a client show me how safe Blasers were by shooting a substantial hole through the roof of my dining room. To say I giggled is an understatement. However recently I have been impressed with the accuracy of these rifles.[/QUOTE]

Maybe you need to find better clients Big Grin

But then people who buy $6k-$20k guns tend to go on $20-$50k hunts.

Someone was bitching how a blaser costs $8k and it costs more than their car and all I said is you need to buy better cars Wink

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Between my post on this thread I am shooting my blaser k95.

On quite days I work from the range - WiFi and no body to bother me.

5 pound rifle in 6.5 creedmoor shot at .3266 inch group at 100 yards with Nosler match.

I will shoot another 6 rounds and call it quits for the day and then go get depressed about owning guns that shoot .3266 inch groups, weight 5 pounds, break down and fit a small in a small back pack, on which I can add multiple barrels and scopes mount perfectly in 10 seconds.

Big Grin

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have several Blasers - mostly lightweight wool in navy blue. Have none of the correct club ties, however.

Posts: 872 | Location: S. E. Arizona | Registered: 01 February 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Winchester 6.5 shoots a .5226 group and the 2 rounds of Hornady black I had were basically in the same hole.

Yup I should trade my blaser and buy more doubles that will shoot Moa of a barrel of oil at 50 yards and I will lug across Africa to end up shooting it of sticks cause we all know the mid war English doubles were know for their balance off shooting sticks Big Grin

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yup I should trade my blaser and buy more doubles that will shoot Moa of a barrel of oil at 50 yards

Mike, Todd told me that if your double shoots that well, it's a keeper!!!

Posts: 20161 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Having some small amount of self respect I've never owned a Blaser, but I've heard what PHs say about Blasers and their owners behind the owners backs. Three PHs in two countries.

It wasn't good but it was funny!

Posts: 552 | Location: Mostly USA | Registered: 25 March 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ongwe:
Having some small amount of self respect I've never owned a Blaser, but I've heard what PHs say about Blasers and their owners behind the owners backs. Three PHs in two countries.

Big stories told by ph have as much relevance to me as their advice of bitcoin. January 2018 every other zim guys was talking about how he heard people in Zimbabwe were making a killing on bitcoin.

Most ph rarely use their guns and when they do it is for stopping stuff. Therefore the doubles, 505 Gibbs ect.

Talk to Barrie Duckworth or any of his peers who have killed a lot of elephants ect in animal controls/culls and ask about doubles and see their reaction.

All the guns in camp for client use are normally left or gifted guns. Ask your much experienced firearms expert ph when was the last time he bought camp guns. The well capitalized places that buy a lot of guns like Tholo have a gun room full of blasers.

I bought a blaser when my now departed ph buddy Jason Bridger said to get one and another ph buddy got shot by a client with a custom rifle.

Jason was one of the few PH I met who knew and liked guns beyond just tools. He owned many custom rifles, he spent money on guns and he reloaded. He was not a blaser guy when we hunted. But later he had to do a fair bit of cull hunting and used a blaser r8. He said it was the best gun for hunter - a client - the guy pulling the trigger majority of the time.

As traveling with guns gets tougher and more outfitters need to get proper camp rifles, expect to see a lot of blasers. Why - they work, they are multi barrel (helps as only frame is licensed), everything can be replaced without a gunsmith ect.

Till then the stories they tell will be entertainment - it comes with the $1k daily rate.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:
I had a client show me how safe Blasers were by shooting a substantial hole through the roof of my dining room. To say I giggled is an understatement. However recently I have been impressed with the accuracy of these rifles.

Andrew, I was on the fence before this and your AD post.

Now I’m leaning hard toward bringing one of my Blasers. Big Grin

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13625 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One of Pasanisis well known PHs told me that 90% of the client over the last years showed up with a R8 in 375. All went well. As some on this forum know I use mostly Mauser but I have now three R8 too.

Posts: 701 | Location: Germany | Registered: 24 February 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I will take up fishing before I use a Blaser for hunting! rotflmo

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68679 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
I will take up fishing before I use a Blaser for hunting! rotflmo

Finally some wisdom from the blaser haters. Time to learn new stuff Saeed and catch and release no spear fishing and killing stuff Big Grin

Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
Dunno nothing about Blasers, but I would like to hear more about the blonde in the short shorts Roll Eyes

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:
quote:
Originally posted by Hogbreath:
Todd

LOL Ricky Bobby!!!

I did. He said stay from ugly rifles.

barf barf

Cool

yankees

jumping

The more I know, the less I wonder !

Posts: 1142 | Location: Oslo area, Norway | Registered: 26 June 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ongwe:

Toward the end of our 12 day safari in Namibia I had 2 PH's ask me to come along with my Blaser and act us backup for their clients. Both had seen the rifle in action on game earlier. Nobody else got invited and there were 8 other hunters in camp, all using conventional boltguns. hammering
Do you guys still drive Model T Fords as well?

Five years ago I spent as much time as anyone bagging Blaser rifles and their owners. Eventually I could no longer ignore the glowing reports that their owners wrote and decided to try one. I'm a dealer and knew I could always move it on if I didn't like it. I must admit it took awhile to adapt to the straight pull and in particular the decocker. Just needed to cycle it until I developed sufficient muscle memory to have confidence in it. I still think it is ugly but it just functions so well, is so fast to reload and shoots so accurately that I can forgive that. I have pretty walnut stocked rifles that I can pull out of the safe and fondle when I feel the need. The Sauer 202 .300WM that I sold to buy the Blaser was undoubtedly the prettiest rifle I have ever owned and had one of the nicest pieces of walnut that you will ever see, but it never shot like this thing does and I gave it plenty of opportunity.
Now I take the piss out of Merkel Helix owners instead. Those things make Blasers look pretty.

The hunting imperative was part of every man's soul; some denied or suppressed it, others diverted it into less blatantly violent avenues of expression, wielding clubs on the golf course or racquets on the court, substituting a little white ball for the prey of flesh and blood.
Wilbur Smith

Posts: 916 | Location: L.H. side of downunder | Registered: 07 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Here is a photo of Biebs shooting his Blaser thingy.

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen, all this fu-furaw about Blazers is just that! We all know that, but no one can say that a Blazer is a fine looking rifle, regardless of how well they work, or how safe they are.

I for one, got my fill of military style weapons while still in the military, and simply think they are about as ugly as one could make a hunting rifle.

Having said that, I must admit that, like the owners state, they shoot fine, and have some real good design features, but I simply couldn't force myself to own one!

…………………………...For others, buy and use what ever you want! I certainly wouldn't leave a safari camp because someone there was using one. What ever floats your canoe, paddle on down stream!

………………………………………………... old

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote