New
Find
Notify
Tools

Explain this to me...
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I bought a nearly complete set of African Hunter. Great reading and lots of good pictures. But, can somebody explain the thrill shooting some silly little antelope about the size of a chihuahua with 5-6" horns that look like toothpicks? Especially the extreme version where someone feels compelled to list the horns at 8/16ths of an inch instead of just saying 1/2", listing each horn; ie, 7/16ths and 8/16ths as if the difference matters. I hunt Rockchucks here in Idaho, but have never had a notion to post a report about stalking a bull 'chuck for three hours and finally harvesting one with fangs 3/4" long weighing over 8 pounds and 20 5/16ths OAL. I get a deer and an elk most years, but I would be embarrassed to show pictures of a spike or such.

IMHO, only a mentally-challenged person would spend the time and $$$ to go to Africa and shoot anything smaller than a whitetail deer.
Somebody explain the gonad enhancement of small game. I would be beyond embarrassed, to the point of mortification.

thanking you in advance,

Rich
Buff Killer

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
To each his own.

And when the world-record horns of a species are 4", those eighths are the equivalent of a couple points on a deer.

Plus you can do full-body mounts that will fit under a coffee table Wink

"If you’re innocent why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?”- Donald Trump

Posts: 9585 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 09 December 2007Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Rich,

I agree with you on the horn size bit.

But, these little animals are absolutely great for a BBQ.

I have shot quite a number of them, but they have always been targets of opportunity. We normally coem across one as we are coming back after shooting something else.

Having said that, I think there are a few "collectors" who strive to shoot these to add to their collection.

I don't see anything wrong with that. It is their money, and their time.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 67053 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
To each their own. Generally speaking, hunting the pygmy antelopes is an "acquired taste." Many will be taken incidentally (like, while hunting something else and an opportunity occurs). They are interesting little trophies, different from anything we have in the U.S., or even Europe, but just seeing one and shooting it isn't a big deal--especially if you don't appreciate how lucky you were! Ah, but if you don't take them incidentally and you decide you WANT one, well, that's different. To hunt them on purpose is difficult and frustrating. Just identifying males is difficult, judging actual trophy quality near impossible. And of course it doesn't take much cover to hide them. I was on the Weatherby award selection committee for some years, and all of us had our "hot buttons." Personally, I admit I'd rather hunt buffalo (over and over again!), but my friend Rex Baker was always firm: "Ain't nobody gonna win the Weatherby without a large selection of the pygmy antelopes, 'cause those are the hardest things of all to hunt." He's right--but they aren't of interest to everyone.

Posts: 265 | Location: central california | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
animals are absolutely great for a BBQ

Best reason to slay any beast.

Posts: 298 | Location: Antioch | Registered: 09 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I love some of the pygmy antelope as much as the biggest stuff over there..

Ive hunted a fair bit of them, and I plan on taking ALOT more!! Next trip to Zim I plan on hunting Klipies and Sharpes grysbok.. Next trip to Namibia will include a Damara Dikdik.. One of these days I will hunt in Moz and a Livingston Suni will most definately be on the wish list. And should I ever get the opportunity to hunt northern Tanzania one of these days, a Cordeaux Dikdik will most def. be on the wish list!!!

Don't knock 'em just because you don't enjoy hunting 'em!! There are alot of us out there who find them a pure joy and pleasure to hunt and will AWLAYS include them on the wish list, no matter where on the continent we hunt!!

Posts: 2163 | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Colin Castelli
posted Hide Post
quote:
Somebody explain the gonad enhancement of small game. I would be beyond embarrassed, to the point of mortification.

I love hunting the pigmies; as others have said, they're easy if you're not looking for them. My opinion is that if you only hunt for 'gonad enhancement' then you are going about it all wrong.

In my opinion, stalking pigmies is much harder than stalking the big stuff. I hunted a single Common Duiker for about seven days before we finally got a shot. He's now on my table as a pedestal mount.

Posts: 180 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 16 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
Rex Baker's words are absolutely correct. Decide that you consciously want to take 20 different pygmy antelope and you might spend the next 20 years trying to do it. Of course, just hunt other big stuff in their habitat and you will probably take all 20 little guys in short order. Such is the nature of our sport.

One of the best stalks I have had in Africa was for an Oribi.

tendrams

Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
Saeed, on your 2007 DVD you shot one of those little fella's. What species was it?

------------------------------
A mate of mine has just told me he's shagging his girlfriend and her twin. I said "How can you tell them apart?" He said "Her brother's got a moustache!"

Posts: 7981 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jriley
posted Hide Post
My steinbok is at the taxidermist right now. Before I went to Africa I never thought I would be interested in the smaller antelopes. But, that changed once I got over there. On my next trip I think I'll try for a klipspringer.

one of us
posted Hide Post
the tiny ten are darn good hunting. They are cunning and shrewd and will test any hunter's woodcraft.

Also they are tasty.....mmmmm v tasty

"one of the most common african animals is the common coolerbok(or coleman's coolerbok). Many have been domesticated and can be found in hunting camps, lodges and in the back of vehicles."

Posts: 252 | Location: Singapore | Registered: 26 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rich, you took the words out of my mouth. I've been thinking the same for some time. Of course each to his own!

"shoot quick but take your time"

Posts: 451 | Location: drummond island MI USA | Registered: 03 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I speak from very limited experience, only one trip.
I loved sneaking around in the brush and tall grass hunting steinbok and duiker. Ranges were short, time to judge and shoot was quick, game was spookie. It was a familiar kind of hunting for me. Like sneaking through laurel thickets for whitetails. In the end, I was not successful, but it was fun and got my adrenaline pumping. OK, not like hearing and smelling an elephant that you cannot see, but still fun, and I had these guys on license. I'll be trying it again if I get back.
Bfly

Work hard and be nice, you never have enough time or friends.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Lake Nice, VA | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of talentrec
posted Hide Post
I had no desire to hunt pygmy antelope when I went to Africa the first time. One the second or third day, my PH hit the brakes and told me to grab my 375 and put a solid in. After a stalk of about 20 minutes through a bunch of brush, I finally saw what we were chasing. A steenbok.

The shot was only about a hundred yards, and the big solid punched through him like a pencil. When we got up to him and I got to really take a look at him, my whole perspective on the little guys changed. For the rest of the trip, I had my eyes focused on finding the little guys. The duiker gave me fits, as I missed several of them because my shots were deflected by brush or the jumped as I was squeezing the tripper. Hunting klipspringers tested both my eyesight and shooting ability. It reminded me a lot of hunting coues deer in Mexico.

To be honest, I think I had more fun chasing the little guys than hunting the bigger stuff!

Pete

Posts: 809 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
I bought a nearly complete set of African Hunter. Great reading and lots of good pictures. But, can somebody explain the thrill shooting some silly little antelope about the size of a chihuahua with 5-6" horns that look like toothpicks? Especially the extreme version where someone feels compelled to list the horns at 8/16ths of an inch instead of just saying 1/2", listing each horn; ie, 7/16ths and 8/16ths as if the difference matters. I hunt Rockchucks here in Idaho, but have never had a notion to post a report about stalking a bull 'chuck for three hours and finally harvesting one with fangs 3/4" long weighing over 8 pounds and 20 5/16ths OAL. I get a deer and an elk most years, but I would be embarrassed to show pictures of a spike or such.

IMHO, only a mentally-challenged person would spend the time and $$$ to go to Africa and shoot anything smaller than a whitetail deer.

thanking you in advance,

Rich
Buff Killer

..........................coffee Roll Eyes homer

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Buff killer,

I could n't agree more with Craig. These little guys are equally as challenging as any of the big antelope if not more so. I have several of these litte fellas and I'm specifically hunting 3 more in Mozambique this year.

I had the "Are you kidding me attitude" about these pygmy antelope early on but I discovered as time went on that these small animals offer some of the very best hunting in Africa.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12880 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
I don't go to Africa to enhance my gonads.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bwana Mingi Risasi:

Well I guess based on what Rex says, that rules me out of ever winning the Weatherby! Shame that one day it might come down to a couple "little" things. On second thought now I'll probably start collecting the little guys. With Ryan now starting to join me on safari, I'm assured of a .270 now being in the landcruiser, when the steenbok, and dik-dik types present themselves.

Moja

Posts: 636 | Location: The Hills | Registered: 24 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of matt u
posted Hide Post
At first, I also cared little for the smaller antelopes,but after taking a few my mind was changed.Now I will always try to spend a litte time hunting them.

Posts: 1662 | Location: Winston,Georgia | Registered: 07 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I enjoy hunting the little guys more than the big ones. I guess that means my gonads are HUGE!!

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3507 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I love elephant hunting, I love bushbuck hunting. I've really enjoyed "target of opportunity" encounters with grysbok (1 15/16"!) and klipspringer (4 1/8"!)

But then, I love blue marlin fishng with 15lb baits as well as trout fishing for 6oz trout!

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I hunt Rockchucks here in Idaho

Some ( not me ) might wonder about this one????

No horns at all, you don't eat them????

Posts: 41790 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I love the little fellas. Quick shooting, small targets, and calling in some of them is a real treat.

My daughter, 16, is joining me this summer for the first time. On her list is a bush buck,a duiker and a klippie. I asked he why? She said because they are so cute!

Her brother, 10, is also coming and he just wants wart hogs and baboons. Why? Because they are so ugly!

Dan Donarski
Hunter's Horn Adventures
Sault Ste. Marie, MI 49783
906-632-1947
www.huntershornadventures.com

Posts: 668 | Location: Michigan's U.P. | Registered: 20 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Buff Killer,

I just read your post again. If you eliminate hunting for animals smaller than a whitetail and particularly a big Idaho whitetail as unworthy trophies you've cut yourself off from huge chunk of Africa's best. I sincerely hope you rethink this on your next safari.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12880 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

quote:
I get a deer and an elk most years, but I would be embarrassed to show pictures of a spike or such.

Gonad enhancement?? I think the above statements pretty much sum up true gonad enhancement.

Embarrassed to show a picture of an animal legally taken under fair chase? Confused
That is absolutely pitiful,

I have a bigger problem with the mentality that only "trophy" animals are worthy.

Every species in the world represents it's own unique challenges. Every hunt has it's own gratifying expierences. It's up to the individual hunter to get what they want out of it.

If you measure your succes in size and inches, see above statement, I refer you to comments about gonad anhancement.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Black Mining Hills of Dakota | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RAC
posted Hide Post
My wife's proudest trophy. She had been
wanting a klipspringer since she went with
me on our first trip in '05. I wouldn't
take anything for the experience.

I hunt, not to kill, but in order not to have played golf....

DRSS

Posts: 839 | Location: LA | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ok-Ok, I stand corrected.

As most of you know, I am a working-class stiff (or was until I retired). For me, a trip to Africa takes a year or two to fund. I may be able to go two, perhaps three more times before I die. I just see/saw no reason to "waste" time on small things. A saying we had in Vietnam, "...don't sweat the small shit, and unless somebody is shooting at you it's all small shit...". I see Africa as the place to hunt "Big Game". These days that (again to me) is Buff, Elephant, Leopard, and some of the big horned antelope. Kudu, Gemsbok, Oryx, Sable, Eland, that sort of game. And the psychedelic horse, Zebra.

The small ones seem to have the most value to those making a collection. Me, mine represent what my "essence" of Africa.

So, thanks for correcting me gently, I see your points.

Rich
Buff Killer

Note: what I meant by embarrassed to show a small horned trophy, my 6x6 bulls or 28inch plus deer get a picture in the paper. My meat hunt ones don't.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
Idaho:

I appreciate a man who can listen to another opinion and understand (though not necessarily agree).

My hat is off to you, sir!

BTW, I'm not a little species kind of guy either. But, different strokes... it's all good!

Semper Fi!

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7547 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
I believe it is all in the eye and mind of the person doing the hunt.

If I ever got to go to Africa, it would not be purposely for any of the little stuff, but if the shot was presented I would not turn it down.

The only things I would actual want to hunt would be Cape Buffalo, Eland, Greater Kudu, and Gemsbok.

Just as the original poster asked about shooting the smaller stuff, I can not understand why anyone would want to shoot a Zebra.

I do not believe that I have talked to one single person that has been to Aftica at least once, that has not shot a Zebra.

Also on some critters for some folks there is that "Collector" aspect, such as taking each subspecies of Dik Dik or Greater Kudu or Zebra, to the average person or hunter, they all appear pretty much to be the same animal, to the collector they are however unique.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good on the open mind. Funny. You go first for the big and dangerous stuff and you keep the desire to hunt them. But, your vision expands and the smaller antelope become more interesting and what a challenge to hunt them rather than take them opportunistically.

Reminds me of first going to game parks when all I wanted to do was get my binoculars/camera long lens on buff and ele and giraffe. Over a very few visits I began to learn about the birds and the smaller wildlife.

Finally, and these voices aren't likely regularly on this board, some hunters actually give up shooting animals altogether...

Regards

Posts: 1319 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I used to think the same thing, but after hunting Vaal Rhebok, Blue Duiker, Steenbok, Oribi and a few others, I now dance to a different tune. The little guys are some of the most challenging of all animals to hunt.

They may not be as impressive as a buffalo or a kudu, but you have to kep the animal in context. You can not compare 2 entirely differnt species using the same criteria. That would be the same as comparing a Key Deer to an Alasan Moose. Both are technically deer, but the similarity ends there.

All game is spectacular in their own rights. After all, the biggest Coues Deer pales when compared to side by side to one of the big Canagian Bucks from Sask.

Posts: 1638 | Location: Colorado by birth, Navy by choice | Registered: 04 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In 2005 while hunting on Clive Eaton's ranch in Botswana I passed on a steenbuck that just stood there, perfectly posed. I was looking for zebra and didn't want to spook any in the area. I still regret passing up that shot. Take what the Gods of the hunt give you.

Posts: 1903 | Location: Greensburg, Pa. | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
I've taken a number of pygmy antelope and find them very challenging to pursue. One of the most difficult has been the Sharp's Grysbok. They will put the most seasoned Coues Whitetail hunter to the supreme test. Taking one by chance (and luck) is a feat within itself. Trophy hunting specifically for a few of these diminutive Gnats is a true hunt IMHO. I treasure each and every one.
Cheers,
David
PS: and yes....size does matter

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6805 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
On my first trip to Africa, I was only interested in the bigger antelope kudu and sable specificaly. But I also shot warthog, duiker, steenbuck and impala. The smaller citters hold a charm all of their own. I still wouldn't plan a trip just for them but will hunt and take them after the elephants are down. The exception to that is the vaal rhehuck. Hunting them is the ultimate African mountain hunt in my mind. Imagine a critter that blends in perfectly with it's habitat, weighs no more than 50 lbs., has better eyes than a big horn sheep or antelope and will see you and run at 600 or 700 yards. That is a challenge. Rich, try hunting them sometime and I will bet you will be hooked.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
I have seven species of the little guys. The first were taken as opportunity while hunting "big game", but then I discovered they could be difficult to acquire, fun and frustrating to hunt. I started using handguns to up the difficulty and challenge and have taken some world records with that method. Judging them, if they give you the chance, can be difficult as well. While they don't match my Big 5, they can be a great hunt.

For a real hunt, go after Blue Duiker.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CRUSHER
posted Hide Post
my next trip I will have a rifle just for the rats and mice they are great fun.

VERITAS ODIUM PARIT

Posts: 1624 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 04 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rich,

I too will probably only be able to make a couple trips to Africa, and like you I won't actively pursue any of the pygmy antelope.

I will need to make the most of my limited time on my dream animals.

But I would never begrudge anyone the enjoyment of hunting whatever is available and they desire.

I watched Jim Shockey hunting little pygmy antelope and thought it was a very interesting method and the trip looked to be full of adventure.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Black Mining Hills of Dakota | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Karamojo Bill
posted Hide Post
I just went to a local SCI function at the house of a Weatherby winner. He had a whole wall of the little guys. I was amazed that there were so many species of all types of African (& world wide) critters. I love to shoot sage rats AKA Beldings ground squirrel. I don't really want to mount one or aspire to ever being an award winning anything but I'd love any of the little antelope in my humble trophy room.

Karamojo Bill

At then end of my time here, I want to come skidding through the Pearly Gates & hear God say, "Whoa Boy, that was a hell of a ride!"

Posts: 118 | Location: Margaritaville, Oregon | Registered: 30 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The fun thing about hunting the Tiny Ten is that they are generally difficult to hunt. The added advantages are that they are generally less expensive to hunt and to mount and one can put a bunch of them on one wall.

Juckett

One of Us
Picture of Jack D Bold
posted Hide Post
Seems the folks posting here do NOT underrate the little guys. I am definitely part of the group that appreciates these guys for the challenge and rewards of the hunt.

A few years ago while hunting zim, I was fortunate enough to tag a 40" buff, and the next day took a very nice klippie. The hunts were different, but I can honestly say I enjoyed them equally.

"You only gotta do one thing well to make it in this world" - J Joplin

Posts: 1129 | Registered: 10 September 2008Reply With Quote