South Africa--what's going on?
 Login/Join

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:
RSA voted top person of the year

FIRST RUNNER-UP: DEPUTY CHIEF JUSTICE RAYMOND ZONDO

As then president Jacob Zuma so ironically proclaimed in his January 2018 statement on the establishment of the Judicial Commission of Inquiry into Allegations of State Capture, “There should be no area of corruption and culprit that should be spared the extent of this commission of inquiry.”

Over the past three years, Deputy Chief Justice Raymond Zondo seems to have taken Zuma’s words to heart in his role as chair of the commission. South Africans watched as witness after witness took the stand, their testimony slowly chipping away at the mystery surrounding State Capture. Mounting evidence saw the once “almost untouchable” Malusi Gigaba pushed to explain himself before the public, while Ace Magashule’s political power base was gradually eroded by allegations of corruption, as seen in Stephen Grootes’s analysis of the commission for Daily Maverick in August.

Arguably the most significant outcome of the Zondo Commission thus far has been the arrest of Zuma himself. In a Constitutional Court judgment handed down on 29 June, Zuma was sentenced to 15 months’ imprisonment for refusing to obey the court’s order to testify before the commission. The commission has given those involved in corruption something to fear – consequences. Whether reputation, political clout or even freedom, there is now something for leaders to lose when faced with evidence of their wrongdoing. It is no wonder, then, that Daily Maverick readers voted Zondo and the staff of the commission as second runner-up. Their critical work has laid the foundation for a more accountable and transparent state in South Africa. But it does not end with Zondo. A lot more work needs to be done. – By Tamsin Metelerkamp/DM168

Got to admit they are trying.

Stop corruption in South Africa?

Stop corruption in politics?

Hahahaha!

It is easier to walk to the moon than do that!

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68679 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
RSA not only murder capital, but rape capital too
Interpol
and here is the take from one of their own publications
murder

And on the subject of racial violence, the nature of the attacks is what is notable, if not the absolute number

farm murders with torture

Operators based in South Africa who whitewash this situation are obviously protecting their pocketbooks ... but in doing so, one wonders what other smoke they are blowing.

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2932 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Chicago must have imported Lightfoot straight from there! clap

Posts: 68679 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Actually if you dig into the slave trade, almost no slaves originated from South Africa. This is because there were no blacks to be found in most of the country in those days, certainly not in the western cape. The Zulu tribe that dominated the East Coast down to what is now the Eastern Cape did not really exist as a tribe until Shaka united several scattered peoples into one militant nation, and nobody wanted to mess with them.

And enslavement of blacks did not exist in what is now South Africa, much as the rewriters of history would want you to believe that. The Dutch imported some slaves from the East Indies to work in the Cape because there was no other source of labor, the Khoi people having mostly succumbed to small pox and the San people having mostly been run out of South Africa by the Bantu peoples. The British abolished slavery when they took over the Cape.

So Ms. Lightweight's ancestors probably came from West Africa. And some of them came from Europe too, is my guess.

But Saeed would know that, as many of the slave traders came from his neck of the woods.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
The best slave trader was half Arab and half Black.

TippoTip.

In fact almost all slaves were the results of blacks raiding other black villages!

But of course no one wants to know the truth.

It does not fit with their modern ideas! clap

One of Us
Picture of ChrisTroskie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Russ Gould:

and here is the take from one of their own publications
murder

As it is clear you have an alternative agenda, an obvious hatred for South Africa and can’t / won’t be convinced otherwise I will just address this one point of yours seeing this was the origin of my involvement in this discussion.

Your original post was misleading. It read: “South Africa is the murder capital of the world”…

The “statistics” you have provided by means of a random link found on Google does not support your statement. It states that 4 South African cities are listed under the top 50 most violent cities in the world - based on the number of homicides per capita worldwide. Comparatively the USA has 5 cities listed in that same listing and Mexico SEVENTEEN. How on earth can RSA be the murder capital of the world based on these so-called “statistics”?

Get your facts straight before posting them as fact please.

Merry Christmas.

Regards,

Chris Troskie
Tel. +27 82 859-0771
email. chris@ct-safaris.com
Sabrisa Ranch Ellisras RSA
www.ct-safaris.com
https://youtu.be/4usXceRdkH4

Posts: 851 | Location: Sabrisa Ranch Limpopo Province - South Africa | Registered: 03 November 2005Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
The following is published last month.

No idea how true it is.

But, from personal friends experience, South Africa is certainly NOT a safe country to be in.

Some of you trying to hide it is not working.

Try convincing your government to do something about it instead!

Nearly 10,000 rape cases and more than 6,100 murders were reported in South Africa between July and September this year, according to official data released on Friday.

The number of rape cases stood at 9,556 – an increase of 634, or 7.1%, from the third quarter of 2020 – while murders were up by 1,056, or 20.7%, to 6,163, the country’s latest crime statistics showed.

There were also 72,762 cases of assault in South Africa in the third quarter of 2021.

“This data proves again that South Africa is a very violent country,” Police Minister Bheki Cele said at a news briefing.

He termed the soaring rape figures “deeply disturbing” and a “disgrace.”

“The majority of the rape victims are women and those most vulnerable in our society. A sample of 6,144 rape cases revealed that 3,951 took place at either the home of the victim or the rapist,” he said.

On the increase in violence, Cele said a major factor was the unrest in July after former President Jacob Zuma was imprisoned.

Zuma’s incarceration sparked widespread riots and looting in the provinces of KwaZulu-Natal and Gauteng, which claimed more than 200 lives.

The latest crime data showed KwaZulu-Natal had the highest number of murders – 1,744 – between July and September, an increase of 536 from the corresponding period last year.

The figure was 229 for Gauteng, which is home to South Africa’s largest city Johannesburg and capital Pretoria.​​​​​​​

one of us
posted Hide Post
Murder Capitals

Not my words, but the words of South Africa's own chief of police the Hon Cele.

One of Us
Picture of Steve Ahrenberg
posted Hide Post
I truly feel badly for the South African hunting companies. They are in a tough spot. We know of the dangers, they know of the dangers yet they somehow need us to still come hunting to make a living.

Perhaps we Americans should take this as a lesson in letting things get so far out of control, people stay away.

Trying to compare the RSA crime problem with St. Louis or Chicago is ridiculous. You can't get to RSA without traveling through dangerous areas.

Just stay away from St. Louis, Detroit and Chicago and you are in probably in of the safest countries in the world.

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3536 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Goodness, lots of emotion in this thread!

My 2c worth.(I have no commercial interest in the hunting world)

South Africa is a hugely complex country, I often explain it as an unhappy marriage between the 1st World and the 3rd World with the best of the 1st World and the worst of the 3rd World.
Statistics are not that easy to extrapolate, South African society is hugely fragmented, this is mostly a fragmentation divided between race or rather cultural groups and also socio-economically which is not so easily divided among racial lines as the black middle class is probably the biggest single group. The lower socio-economic class bears the brunt of the murder and rape stats.

My wife regularly drives on the highway at night returning from work, my kids often walk to school or the park unsupervised. In our open neighbourhood woman daily walk and jog on their own at dusk and dawn.
We both have handguns, we always sleep with at least one handgun on hand. When I leave the house I sometimes carry and sometimes not. I can't say that carrying makes me feel safer but definitely more in control of my destiny. I have spent a lot of my time in the black tribal areas, often on my own exploring in search of historical sites or natural phenomena of note, the most negative encounters that I have had can be described as indifference, usually a meeting is a friendly affair with a long chat about what I am doing there.

In my career I have completed my fair share of death certificates and legal forms, most assaults and murders are bar fights with a smattering of domestic violence. Gang violence is a huge problem in some areas.

The farm murders are deeply disturbing and often unfathomable in motive and the degree of cruelty. The sad fact is that our government don't see it as a priority crime. Don't underestimate the rural communities in
their willingness to look after their own and it is not uncommon for farm attacks to end badly for the attackers, many rural areas have the local community organised to monitor access to the area and respond to problems.

In my 17 years of marriage we have searched for sense for us in emigrating from South Africa many times. Many people leave and are happy, just as many leave and come back unable to find happiness in the USA, Canada, UK, Aus or New Zealand and a dozen other destinations.
Following the international news we'll sometimes joke that we are lucky to be stuck with Ramaphosa, we could have had Boris Johnson or Biden lol , we are also lucky not be in Iraq, Syria or Afghanistan. With my lineage in the country since 1687 with a fair amount of blood spilt into the soil (most of that due to the British Empire, with the Zulus lagging badly in 2nd place), we haven't been able to identify the Utopia yet where we will be happier or more successful.

To put that all in perspective we are willing to watch our own backs, manage the fairly low risk of crime in our daily lives and don't expect anybody else to change our dirty diapers, my kids are getting a good education and they are growing up in a continent filled with possibilities for professional success if they are willing to work and create their own opportunities. They already know that this is no Social Democratic welfare state with free education, free medical care where you can go on the dole.

We have a politically inept party in government with a 1st World tax income to plunder, I am not excited that they will change in my lifetime. Africa is not ready for democracy and won't be for many lifetimes to come.

I wouldn't advise foreigners not previously exposed to the 3rd World to do a self drive trip in South Africa, they stick out as foreigners like a sore thumb and are not culturally attuned to the environment and it's signs.
On the other hand I think hunting here with any decent outfitter is a very safe.

South Africa is not a war zone, your choice how and if to visit.

Posts: 403 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 12 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Martinus- what an excellent levelled post on SA. Happy new year to you Lorinda and the kids!

Posts: 1128 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 22 June 2009Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balule:

South Africa is a hugely complex country, I often explain it as an unhappy marriage between the 1st World and the 3rd World with the best of the 1st World and the worst of the 3rd World.
Statistics are not that easy to extrapolate, South African society is hugely fragmented, this is mostly a fragmentation divided between race or rather cultural groups and also socio-economically which is not so easily divided among racial lines as the black middle class is probably the biggest single group. The lower socio-economic class bears the brunt of the murder and rape stats.

My wife regularly drives on the highway at night returning from work, my kids often walk to school or the park unsupervised. In our open neighbourhood woman daily walk and jog on their own at dusk and dawn.
We both have handguns, we always sleep with at least one handgun on hand. When I leave the house I sometimes carry and sometimes not. I can't say that carrying makes me feel safer but definitely more in control of my destiny. I have spent a lot of my time in the black tribal areas, often on my own exploring in search of historical sites or natural phenomena of note, the most negative encounters that I have had can be described as indifference, usually a meeting is a friendly affair with a long chat about what I am doing there.

In my career I have completed my fair share of death certificates and legal forms, most assaults and murders are bar fights with a smattering of domestic violence. Gang violence is a huge problem in some areas.

The farm murders are deeply disturbing and often unfathomable in motive and the degree of cruelty. The sad fact is that our government don't see it as a priority crime. Don't underestimate the rural communities in
their willingness to look after their own and it is not uncommon for farm attacks to end badly for the attackers, many rural areas have the local community organised to monitor access to the area and respond to problems.

In my 17 years of marriage we have searched for sense for us in emigrating from South Africa many times. Many people leave and are happy, just as many leave and come back unable to find happiness in the USA, Canada, UK, Aus or New Zealand and a dozen other destinations.
Following the international news we'll sometimes joke that we are lucky to be stuck with Ramaphosa, we could have had Boris Johnson or Biden lol , we are also lucky not be in Iraq, Syria or Afghanistan. With my lineage in the country since 1687 with a fair amount of blood spilt into the soil (most of that due to the British Empire, with the Zulus lagging badly in 2nd place), we haven't been able to identify the Utopia yet where we will be happier or more successful.

To put that all in perspective we are willing to watch our own backs, manage the fairly low risk of crime in our daily lives and don't expect anybody else to change our dirty diapers, my kids are getting a good education and they are growing up in a continent filled with possibilities for professional success if they are willing to work and create their own opportunities. They already know that this is no Social Democratic welfare state with free education, free medical care where you can go on the dole.

We have a politically inept party in government with a 1st World tax income to plunder, I am not excited that they will change in my lifetime. Africa is not ready for democracy and won't be for many lifetimes to come.

I wouldn't advise foreigners not previously exposed to the 3rd World to do a self drive trip in South Africa, they stick out as foreigners like a sore thumb and are not culturally attuned to the environment and it's signs.
On the other hand I think hunting here with any decent outfitter is a very safe.

Thank you for posting this.

Your last sentence tells us what we want to know.

And the leaves the choice to the visitors.

Of course, most crimes in South Africa are against South Africans.

But, the chance of a visitor encountering crime is very high too.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balule:

Enough said... well done level headed response...

Phillip du Plessis
www.intrepidsafaris.com
info@intrepidsafaris.co.za
+27 83 633 5197
US cell 817 793 5168

Posts: 402 | Location: Alldays, South Africa | Registered: 05 July 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
“But, the chance of a visitor encountering crime is very high too.”

Wrong, absolutely wrong. I’m German, living in South Africa for 40 years. Not once, really never, did I encouter crime. A couple of years I were living in Limpopo Province, since then in the Western Cape. Nothing ever happened to me and my family. There was an incidence where a visitor was involved at the Johannesburg station, but hey, only stupid people go there. We had him warned, but he knew it better.

As a guide I take visitors all over the country, nothing ever happened to them.

Of course we have a lot of crime, way too much. People living not far from us got killed, no Whites but Blacks and Colords. Still, crime is crime. We do know of very ugly things, no doubt about this. However, lots of visitors from overseas have a great time in this stunning country without ever seeing any crime.

Posts: 640 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 12 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Recently read a South African newspaper on line, decided to research a cryptic comment about the South African rail system: Transnet.

The article discussed the collapse of the South African rail network. It is highly electrified, but two thirds of the electrified track is missing its electrical cables! Someone is stealing the electrical cables, and I saw pictures of missing rail road tracks. The thieves are also stealing the steel rail road tracks, leaving the rail road ties in place. Those, I assume, will be gone soon for fire wood. There were several pictures of gutted train stations, all the electrical wiring, windows, etc, gone.

South Africa has huge amounts of coal, other resources, it cannot move to the ports because the population is tearing apart the Nation’s infrastructure for scrap.

https://www.news24.com/fin24/c...only-trains-20211110

https://www.sowetanlive.co.za/...work-just-this-year/

https://boksburgadvertiser.co....at-railway-stations/

I read some where about 46 percent of the population is unemployed.

It is my opinion that a country in such a state of dis repair would be a very risky place to travel.

Would any prudent traveler want to go to a country where organized crime is kidnapping foreign nationals?

Kidnapping gangs are making a fortune in South Africa
https://businesstech.co.za/new...une-in-south-africa/

one of us
posted Hide Post
This business of stealing electrical cables has been going on since at least 2000. They also steal electricity from transformers (using the cable they have stolen) and gasoline from pipelines. The railroad track thing is a more recent development.

About 10 years ago I had an appointment in Jeppestown to see a gunsmith. I missed the exit on the freeway around Johannesburg (M2). When I finally got to my destination, the gent explained that freeway signs get stolen during the night to use for roofing.

Getting to my destination involved backtracking through Johannesburg in the vicinity of the old Carlton hotel. What an eye-opener that was. This was Joberg's primo five star hotel back in the day, owned by Westin I believe. The area is now a 3rd world bazaar. When I asked the folks at Afton if they would take me there on another occasion, they declined and ordered me a taxi. They won't drive around in the CBD at all.

There is a reason someone in South Africa developed a vehicle flame-thrower device.

So back to the original poster's question: What's going on in RSA? The answer is pillage at all levels, from the povos to the President, plus rape, murder and mayhem. The SAPS is pretty much impotent, or in some cases complicit.

Oh and one more thing closer to home: Game farmers are culling or capturing their game and reverting back to cattle, due to a dearth of hunting clients.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Oh and one more thing closer to home: Game farmers are culling or capturing their game and reverting back to cattle, due to a dearth of hunting clients.

Name three?

Posts: 42342 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JTEX:
quote:

Name three?

Very sad to hear this.

But I can guarantee you COVID has nothing to do with this.

Get rid of all the silly crimes, and people will come.

I get a number of hunters here who do hunt all over Africa.

South Africa is the only one some talk about avoiding.

Few months ago one had his car broken into - daytime, while at his supposedly guarded compound - and his camera bag was stolen.

I know, he should not have left it in the car, but he did, as he would in any half decently safe place.

have you heard of that old saying?

Build a better mouse trap, and people will buy it?

People don't want one that chops their fingers off.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
quote:
quote:

Name three?

Very sad to hear this.

Few months ago one had his car broken into - daytime, while at his supposedly guarded compound - and his camera bag was stolen.

I know, he should not have left it in the car, but he did, as he would in any half decently safe place.

Saeed I can guarantee you South Africa is in the top 3 countries in the world visited by hunters... on a number of hunters per year basis... expect some of your friends maybe Cool

Phillip du Plessis
www.intrepidsafaris.com
+27 83 633 5197
US cell 817 793 5168

Posts: 402 | Location: Alldays, South Africa | Registered: 05 July 2010Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by INTREPID SAFARIS:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Name three?

Very sad to hear this.

Saeed I can guarantee you South Africa is in the top 3 countries in the world visited by hunters... on a number of hunters per year basis... expect some of your friends maybe Cool

Philip,

I am sure you are right.

And I do hope lots of hunters go to hunt there.

The couple of times I hunted there we all had a fantastic time.

We went as guests, and left with many friends.

Sadly, for me at least, I have limited time that I can devote to hunting.

And that time I prefer to pend in spend in a real wild area.

Avoiding Johannesburg is a bonus.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Name three?

Very sad to hear this.

Philip,

I am sure you are right.

Understand it 100% Sir, all we are asking is lets just be a little softer on all the negatively around my country. 1000s of hunters come here first have a great time and then venture out.

not everybody can afford a 50k plus hunt so lets us be and give us a break we have being thru enough lately.

AR Was one of my greatest sources of information starting out many many years ago and is a great platform with lots of useful information. in the end we are all on the same side, and our one and only goal must be to protect our way of life no matter the way we chose to hunt shoot kill or what ever we want to call it, high fence low fence no fence we are all on the same side. Happy new year

Phillip du Plessis
www.intrepidsafaris.com
+27 83 633 5197
US cell 817 793 5168

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Name three?

Very sad to hear this.

Philip,

I am sure you are right.

Understand it 100% Sir, all we are asking is lets just be a little softer on all the negatively around my country. 1000s of hunters come here first have a great time and then venture out.

not everybody can afford a 50k plus hunt so lets us be and give us a break we have being thru enough lately.

AR Was one of my greatest sources of information starting out many many years ago and is a great platform with lots of useful information. in the end we are all on the same side, and our one and only goal must be to protect our way of life no matter the way we chose to hunt shoot kill or what ever we want to call it, high fence low fence no fence we are all on the same side. Happy new year

All true.

Bottom line is we should be TRUTHFUL.

And not try to sugar it.

The man who had his cameras stolen had lunch with me today.

He said he has no problem going there again.

But his wife is refusing to go.

She was unaware of what was going in South Africa before, apparently several people she has mentioned the theft to have told her of the crimies in South Africa.

Now it has hit close to home, she is not having any of it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
“All true.

And not try to sugar it.

She was unaware of what was going in South Africa before, apparently several people she has mentioned the theft to have told her of the crimies in South Africa.

Now it has hit close to home, she is not having any of it.”

A camera got stolen, now his wife won’t come to South Africa again. :-))

My neighbours, a couple, in Germany got murdered when hiking in the forest. Lots of cars get stolen every day, plenty of burgleries, unrest, you name it. Stay away from Germany, it’s way too dangerous.
However the same happens all over the world.

As mentioned before I’m living in South Africa since 40 years, nothing ever happed to me, my family and friends. That’s not a guaranty that it won’t happen today or tonight.

In my opinion some people just shouldn’t travel, sissies are way safer when at home.

Posts: 640 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 12 June 2003Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sunshine:
“All true.

And not try to sugar it.

Now it has hit close to home, she is not having any of it.”

A camera got stolen, now his wife won’t come to South Africa again. :-))

My neighbours, a couple, in Germany got murdered when hiking in the forest. Lots of cars get stolen every day, plenty of burgleries, unrest, you name it. Stay away from Germany, it’s way too dangerous.
However the same happens all over the world.

As mentioned before I’m living in South Africa since 40 years, nothing ever happed to me, my family and friends. That’s not a guaranty that it won’t happen today or tonight.

In my opinion some people just shouldn’t travel, sissies are way safer when at home.

I can understand your making this as a non event.

But, there are countries in the world where people live all their lives without encountering ANY crime, or know anyone who has.

Talking to a friend's wife from a South American country - probably Uruguay - she said she does not know a single individual who has NOPT been a victims of crime!

Boy oh boy!

That is one country you will never see me go to.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Name three?

Very sad to hear this.

Philip,

I am sure you are right.

All true.

And not try to sugar it.

With that attitude SHE WILL NOT TRAVEL MUCH...Good luck to her finding a crime free country....and comparing a country like Uruguay with 3,5 million people in it to a country with 60 mil is not a great comparison... and not to many big buffalo running around Uruguay last time I check... any way Saeed have the last word on this I am out...

Phillip du Plessis
www.intrepidsafaris.com
+27 83 633 5197
US cell 817 793 5168

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Name three?

Very sad to hear this.

Philip,

I am sure you are right.

All true.

And not try to sugar it.

With that attitude SHE WILL NOT TRAVEL MUCH...Good luck to her finding a crime free country....

She is living in one! clap

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Name three?

Very sad to hear this.

Philip,

I am sure you are right.

All true.

And not try to sugar it.

With that attitude SHE WILL NOT TRAVEL MUCH...Good luck to her finding a crime free country....

Great just keep the Guptas their for a while...WITH THEM Gone RSA is already a better place...

Phillip du Plessis
www.intrepidsafaris.com
+27 83 633 5197
US cell 817 793 5168

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Name three?

Very sad to hear this.

Philip,

I am sure you are right.

All true.

And not try to sugar it.

Great just keep the Guptas their for a while...WITH THEM Gone RSA is already a better place...

The good thing about here is we have absolutely no sympathy for crooks.

They commit a crime, they get arse well and truly whacked.

Never consider to do it again.

In fact, they get banned from all GCC countries.

Despite this very well known fact, we do get them.

And when we do, we do the whole world a favor! clap

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very well said Balule. Calm, very articulate response.

My only addition with regard to the farm attacks, is to say that I have been fortunate enough to spend a lot of time at many game farms and meet many game farmers and unfortunately seen the dark side and how some of these people treat their workers. Definitely not all but the bad ones were particularly bad. And I think that some of these heinous attacks can be attributed to how farm workers are treated.

I have to say I certainly would not let someone treat me like that.

Ride hard, shoot straight and speak the truth.

Posts: 86 | Location: RSA | Registered: 21 August 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snav:
Very well said Balule. Calm, very articulate response.

My only addition with regard to the farm attacks, is to say that I have been fortunate enough to spend a lot of time at many game farms and meet many game farmers and unfortunately seen the dark side and how some of these people treat their workers. Definitely not all but the bad ones were particularly bad. And I think that some of these heinous attacks can be attributed to how farm workers are treated.

I have to say I certainly would not let someone treat me like that.

Unfortunately, I have to concur that poor treatment of workers seems to be a factor in far too many attacks.

That said I am no expert on farm attacks.

Posts: 403 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 12 November 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I love it when people come with the gotcha questions
save your gotchas for someone else

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Very sad to see this happen.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Bribery and corruption are rife the world over, there is no single government administration that is lily-white and pussy pure.

The Gupta brothers were hardly heard of until Zuma came into power and being the same "birds of a feather" soon forged a "business relationship" ... of course the relationship created many opportunities for other prominent government figures who jumped on the gravy train.

Of course there was no such malpractice during the apartheid era other than (maybe) by the Cabinet Ministers of the Democratic Alliance.
As I said before there is no clean administration but the Gupta brothers hit the jackpot when Zuma became president simply because the man was an insatiable glutton which gave birth to the Zupta coalition. Big Grin

Now that one is behind bars and the others are in hiding has the corruption and bribery stopped? coffee

Posts: 2036 | Registered: 06 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Now that one is behind bars and the others are in hiding has the corruption and bribery stopped? coffee

rotflmo

One of Us
Picture of ChrisTroskie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Russ Gould:
I love it when people come with the gotcha questions
save your gotchas for someone else

And this is really the best you could do? I rest my case.

Regards,

Chris Troskie
Tel. +27 82 859-0771
email. chris@ct-safaris.com
Sabrisa Ranch Ellisras RSA
www.ct-safaris.com
https://youtu.be/4usXceRdkH4

Posts: 851 | Location: Sabrisa Ranch Limpopo Province - South Africa | Registered: 03 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana338
posted Hide Post
Every country has better places than others in which to live, travel.

So South Africa is no different than California, both have gated areas with security. There is still crime in these areas, even with the standard security. South Africa has about 60 million population, California has about 30 million population.

Is there area in each country that I would not want to travel or visit! That is a no brainer, you bet there are areas that I would stay away from. Does that keep me from not traveling to visit friends in California or South Africa. No, it does not from traveling and visiting. A person has to use a little good judgement on what part of the cities you need to stay clear of.

Compare:

Joberg VS Las Angles.
Durban VS San Francisco
Cape Town VS Oakland

The list could go on.

The thing is crime happens near or at the airports in these cities!
There are areas in all the above cities that you need to avoid so that you are not a victim of crime.

What our African friends have put forth is that they do not put their clients in harms way. That would not be good for business.
My California friends have not put me in harms way when I visit them. We cover areas to stay at and areas to avoid.

Things are always changing, and nothing stays the same, it is either getting better or going the other way.

For Saeed to dwell on past experiences, that is not being fair to the South African group, that is old news. From Saeed posts, Some of his friends are not well traveled and appear or come off as being very foolish.

Every motel that I have stayed at has signs that you need to put your valuables in a safe place. Do not leave them in your vehicle. What you leave in your vehicle is something that you can live or do without if it is taken.

Be it South Africa or California the security at parking is not a guarantee that your vehicle will be safe and not broken into. This be restaurants, bars, sporting events, hotels/motels. What I have learned about the extra security is that this is a high crime area, so be alert and guided on if you really need to go there. If you do you need to take extra precautions.

I just selected California for my example, I could have used: Minnesota, Illinois, Wisconsin, Oregon, Texas, Kansas, Arizona, Louisiana, Washington or a few other states that I have worked in my career. The thing is is that they all have areas that you need to be very careful when working or traveling in the larger cities.

While there is some crime in Idaho, Montana, North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, I remember that you did not need to lock your vehicle at motels or going into small town cafes to eat. These states combined do not come close to the crime in California.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"You've got the strongest hand in the world. That's right. Your hand. The hand that marks the ballot. The hand that pulls the voting lever. Use it, will you" John Wayne

Posts: 1626 | Location: West River at Heart | Registered: 08 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bwana338: Be it South Africa or California the security at parking is not a guarantee that your vehicle will be safe and not broken into. This be restaurants, bars, sporting events, hotels/motels. What I have learned about the extra security is that this is a high crime area, so be alert and guided on if you really need to go there. If you do you need to take extra precautions.

Read this yesterday

28 Dec 2021 S.D Police Deputies attempting to curb thefts of auto parts

San Diego Union Tribune

In San Diego County, reports of catalytic convert thefts jumped from 393 last year to 2,056 this year, as of Dec 9, according the police officials tracking the crime. That’s a 423 percent increase.

It usually costs anywhere from $1,000 to $3,000 to replace a catalytic converter. James said the thefts also leaves victims without a mode of transport for some time.

the less skilled lib Dem's in San Fransisco are doing it the old fashioned way: smash and grab:

https://youtu.be/pZ8wp1aSuhc

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bwana338:
Every country has better places than others in which to live, travel.

So South Africa is no different than California, both have gated areas with security. There is still crime in these areas, even with the standard security. South Africa has about 60 million population, California has about 30 million population.

Is there area in each country that I would not want to travel or visit! That is a no brainer, you bet there are areas that I would stay away from. Does that keep me from not traveling to visit friends in California or South Africa. No, it does not from traveling and visiting. A person has to use a little good judgement on what part of the cities you need to stay clear of.

Compare:

Joberg VS Las Angles.
Durban VS San Francisco
Cape Town VS Oakland

The list could go on.

The thing is crime happens near or at the airports in these cities!
There are areas in all the above cities that you need to avoid so that you are not a victim of crime.

What our African friends have put forth is that they do not put their clients in harms way. That would not be good for business.
My California friends have not put me in harms way when I visit them. We cover areas to stay at and areas to avoid.

Things are always changing, and nothing stays the same, it is either getting better or going the other way.

For Saeed to dwell on past experiences, that is not being fair to the South African group, that is old news. From Saeed posts, Some of his friends are not well traveled and appear or come off as being very foolish.

Every motel that I have stayed at has signs that you need to put your valuables in a safe place. Do not leave them in your vehicle. What you leave in your vehicle is something that you can live or do without if it is taken.

Be it South Africa or California the security at parking is not a guarantee that your vehicle will be safe and not broken into. This be restaurants, bars, sporting events, hotels/motels. What I have learned about the extra security is that this is a high crime area, so be alert and guided on if you really need to go there. If you do you need to take extra precautions.

I just selected California for my example, I could have used: Minnesota, Illinois, Wisconsin, Oregon, Texas, Kansas, Arizona, Louisiana, Washington or a few other states that I have worked in my career. The thing is is that they all have areas that you need to be very careful when working or traveling in the larger cities.

While there is some crime in Idaho, Montana, North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, I remember that you did not need to lock your vehicle at motels or going into small town cafes to eat. These states combined do not come close to the crime in California.

I am not dwelling on the past.

My friend who had his car broken into and cameras stolen is a well travelled man.

He takes his family on holidays all over the world.

He is well aware of the crimes in South Africa, and was staying in a guarded community!!

This happened THIS year.

My friend who was shot was shot at home.

They broke into his house, shot him in the knee, and stole all sorts of his belonging.

Believe me, I am not happy at all reporting this.

But trying to claim South Africa is crime free, is just plain silly.

I know, certain places in the US might be just as bad.

In fact, I was walking in Detroit at night after having had dinner some years back, and a police officer told me to go back to my hotel because it WAS unsafe.

At least he had the dignity to warn me.

Unlike some here who like to welcome people with open arms to South Africa to get a personal taste of what is going on there.

Would I go hunting in South Africa?

Of course I would, if that is the type of hunting that appeals to me.

I would NOT stay in any major city.

Last time we went there, we flew straight out of the airport to our resort.

And even then, poachers killed rhinos while we were there.

one of us
posted Hide Post
What case is that? The case that South Africa is crime-free? Or that South Africa is only number 10 on the worldwide ranking for murders per capita (in a particular year .. it's been as high as no 2 and that's based on reported statistics, which like RSA covid statistics, are manipulated for political ends). So just relax, we are not number 1 this year, look we are no. 10 (out of how many was that? Two or three hundred?

And no that's not the "best I can do" .. I have limited time to spend arguing with people who are not interested in reality. I could put you in touch with LVB who is on the ground and in the business (pm me for the full name) and you can ask him ... he will tell you the same thing. But obviously you are like the 3 monkeys that don't want to see, hear, or say anything on this subject. If you want to be in denial, that's fine. The OP and many who are considering travel to RSA want to know what's really going on.

People who make comparisons to California or some other US locality are missing the point entirely. People in California generally do not equip their vehicles with flame throwers and remote kill switches to ward off hijackers. They don't live behind razor wire and 'burglar bars'. They don't keep a Rottweiler or "Alsatian" (German Shepherd) for security. They don't put signs depicting an R1 rifle on their gates (FN FAL) to deter criminals. They don't wear a gun on their own property and even in their own homes. They don't organize community rapid response paramilitary teams to come to each other's rescue. They don't train for widespread civil unrest with a racial twist to it. They don't have a plan to evacuate in convoys to safe locations when the genocide begins. They don't have to hire a private army to evict illegal squatters that have taken over (hijacked) apartment building that they own. If someone steals your property in California, they are not likely to kill you or torture you and your family members for hours on end in the process. And the Police in California are not likely to be on the side of the perpetrators, or perpetrators themselves.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Surely all this argument should be more than just a debate about whether South Africa is more dangerous than California? How about just using some common sense when travelling? If you want to hunt the species only found in South Africa you will go there and in all probability have a wonderful time. You wont spend any more time in Jo-berg than absolutely necessary, you won't travel with suitcases with zips, you won't drive through Cape Flats after dark.
On the other hand you will drive from Cape Town in a rental car to Eastern Cape along the Garden Route and never feel threatened. You will be on an isolated camp or lodge and feel perfectly safe. My wife drives alone into Grahamstown to have her hair done from hunting camps without hesitation.
It doesn't matter where in the world you travel there are places you don't go and things you don't do. Even here in New Zealand where I rarely lock a car or a house I don't hang around the drug-gang filled streets in South Auckland.
Use your head. Go to South Africa to hunt with a reliable operator without hesitation but don't invest there or go there to live!

Posts: 367 | Location: New Zealand  | Registered: 24 March 2018Reply With Quote