Tools

Choice of PH in a perfect world.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
quote:
That said, we would have had to reach an understanding about his self described habit of firing immediately after the client had fired his first shot.

I can understand the reasoning, but it is a habit I would not have been able to abide.

+1...I'm with you on that one xausa!

In the early days of Chifuti...Andrew Dawson used to do the same thing.

Many PH's today do the same thing.The hunt videos posted here and elswehere are evidence to this.Many of them post on AR and have been PH"S for a long time.I would never hunt with a PH who seemed eager to get in a shot.I don't feel like getting into a fight with all of them or else I would make a list of the ones I saw doing this and posted here.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Odin:
Siberian Tiger

Ph: Buzz Charlton

Camp manager: Vladimir Putin

You guys up North have always been fond of Russians... tu2

Morten

The more I know, the less I wonder !

Posts: 1140 | Location: Oslo area, Norway | Registered: 26 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Old days...

Richard Harland for elephant bull

Nowadays...

Alaskan Brown Bear - Henry Tiffany
Stone sheep - Brady Lough or Ben Stourac
Leopard - Rich Tabor
Elephant - Rich Tabor or Buzz Charlton

Morten

The more I know, the less I wonder !

Posts: 1140 | Location: Oslo area, Norway | Registered: 26 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Harry Selby

Posts: 225 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 08 May 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Past: I know he was not a PH in the modern sense, but I always wanted to hunt with Fredrick Courtney Selous. Next JA Hunter.

Present: Neal Duckworth.

Posts: 12072 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Past- Bill Judd
Present- Thierry Labat

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Corris Ferreira Track-A-Hunt Safaris

One of Us
Picture of Dead Eye
posted Hide Post
Gary Duckworth

Posts: 395 | Location: Canada | Registered: 06 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Andy Hunter is # one in my book. Judge a man/women by the friends they keep. Andy has introduced me to many other PH's that I wouldn't hesitate to hunt with. Truly great professional hunters and really nice people. Over 7 safaris for the big four and tons of plains game, Andy has mentored me on Africa and African hunting. Find the PH that matches your personality, style, and interests and don't look back. Happy hunting!!

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
In the old days I reckon hunting alongside Percival and Finch Hatton would have been been very interesting.

Today I would like to share a campfire with Mike Fell who is an extraordinary hunter from what I have seen and heard.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9954 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:
In the old days I reckon hunting alongside Percival and Finch Hatton would have been been very interesting.

Today I would like to share a campfire with Mike Fell who is an extraordinary hunter from what I have seen and heard.

I like a noted PH responding on this thread. I’m curious how others feel. Mr. Baldry is on my list once I return. It seems he would be great to hunt with and one to share a sundowner.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3453 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

I've shared a fire with Mike in the past and will share one with him again when we go after Chui in Tanzania next year.

Posts: 1815 | Location: Sinton, Texas | Registered: 08 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Since time travel is not a barrier, I’ll take anyone who can arrange a three month full bag safari in British East Africa! Big Grin

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13623 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BaxterB:
From what I have read Bror Blixen would have been a hoot to have gone out with.

+1, and with any luck he might have Beryl Markham in camp with him.

Mike

Posts: 21684 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bud Meadows
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by BaxterB:
From what I have read Bror Blixen would have been a hoot to have gone out with.

But... "it's so quiet when the goldfish die"

Jesus saves, but Moses invests

Posts: 1388 | Location: Lake Bluff, IL | Registered: 02 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've hunted with some great PH's, Michel Mantheakis, Allan Cilliers, Nigel Archer, Lupo Santasilia, Micah DuPluy, and Blake Wilhemi come to mind. I'd hunt anything with any of these gentlemen and trust them all implicitly. Would hunt again with any of them and am hunting this year with Michel's company and Blake.

As to the past, obviously I'd love to have met Selous, although I don't think he ever PH'd. But God help me, based on Ant's comments about how important it is for a client to "click" with the PH, I think I'd have gotten on well with von Blixen. I think I can identify with his character flaws.

Posts: 10319 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Neil-PH
posted Hide Post
Have been fortunate to have had the pleasure of the late STEN CEDEGREN in camp at various times. As a Pro myself I was always intrigued by his stories, starting off in Africa as a young Swedish immigrant, working East Africa and more specifically Sudan in the good old days.
As for another PH, I've always been good with my own company rotflmo

Posts: 536 | Location: The Plains of Africa | Registered: 07 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Capt. Purvis
posted Hide Post
Past
Philip Percival
Sydney Downey

I would like to hunt Elephant with Graham Jones.

Captain Clark Purvis
www.roanokeriverwaterfowl.com/

Posts: 1141 | Location: Eastern NC Outer Banks | Registered: 21 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Neil-PH:
Have been fortunate to have had the pleasure of the late STEN CEDEGREN in camp at various times. As a Pro myself I was always intrigued by his stories, starting off in Africa as a young Swedish immigrant, working East Africa and more specifically Sudan in the good old days.

. . . if you hunt with Sten, leave the wife at home. Wink

Mike

Posts: 21684 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

That guy made Bunny Allen jealous...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
PAST: Leslie Simpson with his friend Stewart Edward White in camp, hunting the Ngorongoro Crater. So many questions to ask of the person who was the inspiration for the 35 Whelen and the 350 Griffin & Howe (aka 350 Holland & Holland). I can't imagine what the crater was like to hunt back then!

PRESENT: Andrew Baldry in all the many hunting areas of Zambia.

Posts: 2624 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Neil-PH
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Can't say I had ever heard of those problems, but glad then that the wife did stay home Big Grin

Posts: 536 | Location: The Plains of Africa | Registered: 07 November 2006Reply With Quote