New
Find
Notify
Tools

Choice of PH in a perfect world.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Here's a hypothetical. Say you had the opportunity to hunt the big 5, who would be your choice as guide/PH? Person can be from either the past or present.

Posts: 1224 | Location: Western Australia | Registered: 31 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Past: Harry Shelby (in his younger days)
Present: Buzz Charlton

Mike

Posts: 21684 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ganyana - due to unforeseen circumstances, it didn't happen the last time, but I hope it happens the next time, if there is one.

Posts: 41 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hillary Dafi. Best I have seen so far...

Jeff

Posts: 2857 | Location: FL | Registered: 18 September 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Simon Evans
Robin Hurt
Mike Bartlett

Posts: 1148 | Location: The Hunting Fields | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Is Cindy Garrison ar PH?

Posts: 1093 | Location: Florida | Registered: 14 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tradewinds:
Is Cindy Garrison ar PH?

If you want her to be, why not. thumb

Posts: 1224 | Location: Western Australia | Registered: 31 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Past; SELBY
Present: John Sharp (but you guys knew that Smiler

PS: Although Robin Hurt is certainly on my short list!

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
Zayne van der Merwe, because he will be the PH on my first trip to Africa in less than three weeks. If I were any more excited I would explode.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tradewinds:
Is Cindy Garrison ar PH?

Not sure about that but Natasha Illum-Berg is.

Posts: 355 | Location: CO | Registered: 19 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Based on his most recent assault on the Big 5, Ivan Carter Wink

"If you’re innocent why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?”- Donald Trump

Posts: 10395 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 09 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of miketaylor
posted Hide Post
Richard Tabor of Roger Whittall Safaris.

With kind regards
Mike
Mike Taylor Sporting
Hunting, Fishing & Photographic Safaris Worldwide
+44 7930 524 097
mtaylorsporting@gmail.com
Instagram - miketaylorsporting

Posts: 704 | Location: England  | Registered: 22 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Johnathon Taylor or Brian Van Blerk for Tanz.
Jamie Wilson or Stuart Taylor for Northern Moz.
Buzz Charlton or Ian Rutledge for Zim.
Andrew Baldry or Mike Heath for Zambia.
Vaughn Fulton or Karl Stumpf for Namibia

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of editor-ant
posted Hide Post
As an observer on many hunts for the magazine, it has been my experience that it is quite often the rapor between PH and client which sets the mood. There are a great many capable or good PH’s, but team them with a client they cannot get on with, and things can fall apart. Conversely, guys that click, hunt well together.

Ant Williams

African Hunter Magazine African Fisherman Magazine

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well put Ant, so often it comes down to choosing to hunt with a PH that you get on with. I would rather have a PH i get on with and hunt a "hard" area than have the best concession in Africa with an idiot of a PH!!

Posts: 256 | Location: Africa | Registered: 26 July 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
John Taylor if he'd stay in his own tent.
Currently, I'd choose Andy Hunter.
Regards,
Inyati

Posts: 47 | Location: Anchorage, Alaska | Registered: 26 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of matt u
posted Hide Post
then-Gordon Cundill
now-Ivan Carter

Posts: 1662 | Location: Winston,Georgia | Registered: 07 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don Heath as I consider him a good and long time friend whom I haven't had the pleasure of hunting with. If he was booked up their are several that I have hunted with. Not in order of preference. Brent Hein. Gomez Adams, and George Hallamore. Ivan Carter if I could afford him would also make the list.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Denys Finch Hatton

Philip Percival after Hemingway.

Andrew Holmberg on a camel safari to the Northern Frontier District.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9484 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Inyati:
Inyati

????? Explain? Confused

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kathi:
Denys Finch Hatton

Philip Percival after Hemingway.

Kathi, you hit some good ones, can't do better, spent some time with Andrew in the Sudan, although he wasn't my PH.

Posts: 1700 | Location: USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Selby, Harry or Mark

Claude Kleynhans, as good as they get! A great friend as well! Honest!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For me the only Ph's that count now are the one's I've hunted with. In the old days who could know if those guys famous or not were assholes.

Garry Kelley is a superb PH.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
AfricanHunter,

Hunting in the Sudan had to be phenominal. I saw in Andrew Holmberg's book "Out in Africa" they hunted bongo and Lord Derby Eland back in the 70s in the Sudan.

There is a story in Holmberg's book about my friends Sam and Rose Pancotto's camel safari to the NFD. Sam is standing next to a camel with monstrous elephant tusks roped onto it's back.

I love stories about "old Africa" and would enjoy hearing of your hunt in the Sudan. Who was your PH and what did you hunt?

Whenever I tell Sam he needs to write a book, he tells me no one cares about hunting in the past. I do, and you were fortunate to have hunted the Sudan.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9484 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No doubt about it I would go with Pete Wood with Roger Whitall Safaris. he is by far the best not only in the field but an all around great guy. He also has the best trackers try to get Shorty.

One of Us
Picture of OldHandgunHunter
posted Hide Post
Alan Black would have to be my historical choice, although there certainly is a long list of fantastic historic East African hunting luminaries.

Today, I'd hunt with John Abraham -- in fact, I almost always hunt the big stuff with John. I've heard of many, many fantastic current day PH's, but when you find one that does the job for you, it never seems worth the risk to try anyone else.

When you get bored with life, start hunting dangerous game with a handgun.

Posts: 495 | Location: Florida | Registered: 17 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Kathi raised an interesting notion by suggesting Denys Finch Hatton. Another guy that would be a treat to hunt with would be Bror von Blixen-Finecke. Sounds like he was a great PH and good company.

Mike

Posts: 21684 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
I hunted with Alan Vincent in 2006 and enjoyed it so much that if I go back to Africa I intend to hunt with him again. Why mess with success, eh? And if I am only going to be able to afford to go to Africa a few times in my life, I will go with a PH that I KNOW hunts the way I like to hunt.

I don't have any particular desire to hunt with any of the more famous fellas from the past, or present.

Cheers
Canuck

Posts: 7122 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Mike H.:
No doubt about it I would go with Pete Wood with Roger Whitall Safaris. he is by far the best not only in the field but an all around great guy. He also has the best trackers try to get Shorty.

Pete and Shorty are indeed a good team.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kathi:

Kathi,
I also love those old Kenyan story's and am planing a Camel trek in the Matthews Ranges, Seya river area which was one of the old northern frontier foot safari areas.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Then- Bror Blixen (think of the after hunt wind down!)
Now- Tino Erasmus -hunted with him six times and he never lets me down.

http://www.tgsafari.co.za

"What doesn´t kill you makes you stranger!"

Posts: 2213 | Location: Finland | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of husky
posted Hide Post
Bill Clinton!
We are talking about hunting females aren't we? dancing

Posts: 1134 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of editor-ant
posted Hide Post
Like Mark says, and along the lines I suggested, some of the bygone hunters may well have been difficult to get on with. Here’s a different spin to think about. When talking about your chosen Phs, what single quality would you consider paramount... Like his bushcraft, ability to find the right animals - not necessarily the biggest - his sense of humour, the company or area he operates in, his trackers, etc.? It might be hard to nail it down to one, but it would be interesting to know what sport hunters think is important.

Ant Williams

African Hunter Magazine African Fisherman Magazine

One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by editor-ant:
Like Mark says, and along the lines I suggested, some of the bygone hunters may well have been difficult to get on with. Here’s a different spin to think about. When talking about your chosen Phs, what single quality would you consider paramount... Like his bushcraft, ability to find the right animals - not necessarily the biggest - his sense of humour, the company or area he operates in, his trackers, etc.? It might be hard to nail it down to one, but it would be interesting to know what sport hunters think is important.

A bit of each of your points would help.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JBoutfishn:
quote:
Originally posted by Inyati:
Inyati

????? Explain? Confused

He is referring to John "Pondoro" Taylor and his tendencies/references to his sexual preferences. There is a thread somewhere on AR that delves into this.

Posts: 265 | Location: Hammertown, USA | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
Got it, lol

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Past but not too past - Brian Marsh.
Current Mark DeWet, I am hunting tuskless with him in Oct.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by editor-ant:

My answer to Ant's question would be the PH's knowledge about hunting elephant and his ability to teach me what he knows about elephant hunting.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Past; Mike Cottar
Today;I can wish can't I Tony Dyer

Posts: 60 | Location: Kilgore TX | Registered: 09 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
+1 for Cindy Garrison. I don't care if she is a PH or not, I'd just like to spend some time in the bush with her.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote