Notify
Tools

Choice of PH in a perfect world.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blacktailer:
+1 for Cindy Garrison. I don't care if she is a PH or not, I'd just like to spend some time in the bush with her.

Definatly can't argue with that scenario. thumb

Posts: 1224 | Location: Western Australia | Registered: 31 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
did you really mean "in the bush" or in __bush"?

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13395 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No one wants Mark "Hit em again bwana" Sullivan ?

In a perfect world Nicky Blunt, Jon Northcote, Ian Henderson. For laughs and giggles, Bunny Allen.

Posts: 205 | Registered: 09 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Paul C:
No one wants Mark "Hit em again bwana" Sullivan ?

In a perfect world Nicky Blunt, Jon Northcote, Ian Henderson. For laughs and giggles, Bunny Allen.[/QUOTE

In a charge situation he wouldn't be a bad choice, the guy sure can shoot that big .600 well.

Posts: 1224 | Location: Western Australia | Registered: 31 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My favorite PH is Pierre van Tonder, who is also my adopted son, and lets not forget my good friend George Hoffman, God rest his soul, another great friend of mine. I would give my soul to hunt with my old friends who are now retired from PHing but were among the very best, Adelino Serras Pires and Robt. Retnauer..

Others that top the list are Allen and Roy Vicent, Nicky blunt, Finn Aagard RIP, Harry Manners, Phillip and Chas. Price, Hannes Swanapoel. and there are some that I have yet to meet, but know them by reputation and it would be a plesure to just sit with them at a campfire and listen....

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42156 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
George Hoffman

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
No Question Jonny Hulme.

Posts: 8 | Location: Boston MA USA | Registered: 14 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
From what I have read Bror Blixen would have been a hoot to have gone out with. Selous would have been neat to go on some adventures with for sure.

one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
Speaking of a post from the dim historic past?

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Wayne Williamson. Wayne and I are about to embark on our fifth safari together.

Posts: 2 | Location: Texas | Registered: 27 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
First Elephant: Karamoja Bell
Second Elephant: Frederick Courtney Selous

Lion: with Maasai Warrior non-rifle hunt

Leopard: w/Tarzan in loincloth

Posts: 636 | Location: The Hills | Registered: 24 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Present would be our own Shakari-

past- well either Von Blixen or Selby

SSR

Posts: 6725 | Location: central Texas | Registered: 05 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
FC Selous with the Teddy Roosevelt safari in 1909

Dean Kendall after elephant anywhere.

Posts: 10362 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted Hide Post
Past- Harry Selby
Present - Mike Payne

Posts: 1594 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 29 September 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
past: Willie Engelbrecht
present: Clive Eaton

Posts: 1903 | Location: Greensburg, Pa. | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Nigel Theisen...he is the past in the present.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37790 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
J.H. Hunter and Pierre van Tonder.

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TerryR:
past: Willie Engelbrecht
present: Clive Eaton

My grandfather hunted with Willie and John KH. Oh to have been there in 1972.

Of course, I'm training Thierry to be a household name as well. Cool

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2989 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Will
Thierry should give you a commision for all the referals you've given him.
Tell him hello for me in Vegas.

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Can't even begin -- to do so would insult far too many wonderful PH's, both past and present. I'll just continue to do the best I can.

Posts: 10319 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
Past--JA Hunter,Richard j. Cunninghame, John Kingsley Heath, Selby

Present-- Paddy(Blood)Curtis,Johan Calitz,Kai-Uwe Denker,Ciff Walker,Karl Stumph, Louis Van Bergen... I can go on and on. Lots of guys I want to hunt with!!!!! Too little time!

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Buzz Charlton!

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 505ED:

Present-- Paddy(Blood)Curtis,Johan Calitz,Kai-Uwe Denker,Ciff Walker,Karl Stumph, Louis Van Bergen... I can go on and on. Lots of guys I want to hunt with!!!!! Too little time!

Bloodnut is certainly a living legend as well. One of these days...I am gonna get he and Nigel (who are mates anyway) to hunt me and my Dad together.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37790 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
For me, past and present, my choice would be Angelo Dacey for a Nubian Ibex, Barbary Sheep, and Eritrean Gazelle combo hunt. I will likely never have the money to do even the first part of this trip, but adding a chartered 30 footer and a few cases of Stella Lager out on the Red Sea for some fishing as part 2 of the safari would make it perfect.

One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
quote:
Originally posted by 505ED:

Bloodnut is certainly a living legend as well. One of these days...I am gonna get he and Nigel (who are mates anyway) to hunt me and my Dad together.

Blood seems to be soft spoken--but that is not even close to the case. I know one guy that hunts with Blood every year! Lucky bastard!!! Lots of great guys out there,just wished I had the scratch to hunt with them all!!!!

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
From reading his articles and books, I would have to vote for Finn Aargaard, whose interest in rifles and cartridges sets him apart from eveery other PH I have known or read about.

I never met the man, but I did once exchange correspondence with him, and he was a knowledgeable and gracious writer.

That said, we would have had to reach an understanding about his self described habit of firing immediately after the client had fired his first shot.

I can understand the reasoning, but it is a habit I would not have been able to abide.

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
That said, we would have had to reach an understanding about his self described habit of firing immediately after the client had fired his first shot.

I can understand the reasoning, but it is a habit I would not have been able to abide.

+1...I'm with you on that one xausa!

In the early days of Chifuti...Andrew Dawson used to do the same thing.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Peter Dafner!

One of Us
Picture of postoak
posted Hide Post
Of the old time guys who hunted East Africa, Percival, Hunter, Ker, Downey, and Selby, I'd most like to have Hunter backing me up on DG. He seemed to have lightning fast reactions and coordination. Of course, I got that from reading his own book. Smiler

Posts: 441 | Location: The Woodlands, Texas | Registered: 25 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by editor-ant:
As an observer on many hunts for the magazine, it has been my experience that it is quite often the rapor between PH and client which sets the mood. There are a great many capable or good PH’s, but team them with a client they cannot get on with, and things can fall apart. Conversely, guys that click, hunt well together.

I think Ant's post hits the nail on the head. If you stop having fun with the PH or just can't have fun with them everything else may end up being secondary. That was my situation on a 28 day safari and the only safari I've had that was not fun.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lion - Richard Bell-Cross and Cliff Walker

Leopard - Jan Dumon

Elephant - Buzz

Buffalo - Lots of good guys / easy to hunt.

Central Africa - Thierry Labat / Dave Rademayer

Tanzania - Peter Dafner, Raoul Ramoni, Mark Sullivan and a number of others.

Zambia - Bell-Cross, Tors, Baldry, and a couple others too.

Moz - I really like young Mr. McDonald

Zim - Where do we start? Lots of good ones!

Namibia - Hentie Van Heerden

SA - Good heavens....name em. I'll go with Jan Dumon again. He's the best cat hunter I have even seen!!!

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pichon1:
Here's a hypothetical. Say you had the opportunity to hunt the big 5, who would be your choice as guide/PH? Person can be from either the past or present.

Rex Hoets, no question!

USMC Retired
DSC Life Member
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 730 | Location: Maryland Eastern Shore | Registered: 27 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bud Meadows
posted Hide Post
In Namibia I’d go with Jan du Plessis of Sebra Hunting Safaris. In Zambia, I’d go with Andrew Baldry of Royal Kafue

Jesus saves, but Moses invests

Posts: 1388 | Location: Lake Bluff, IL | Registered: 02 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another vote for Rich Tabor. He talks soft but carries a big stick, and his crew is the best.

"Never, ever, book a hunt with Jeri Booth or Detail Company Adventures"

Posts: 488 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 09 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is a neat old thread. Thanks for resurrecting it.

Good ole days: J.A. Hunter, Leslie Tarlton, Philip Percival, Hans Bauer.

Current day: It doesn't matter if we are hunting in wheelchairs, the comradery is more important than pulling the trigger. Dr. Kevin Robertson, Ron Thompson, Tony Sanchez Arino. Or, anyone who was a member of the EAPHA. Robin Hurt, Tony Seth-Smith, David Mead, Danny McCallum, Terry Mathews, Brian Herne and Tony Dyer were all alive last I heard. Two years ago I would have added Don Heath and Harry Selby. Time passes way to fast.

Posts: 815 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 05 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
John Taylor 1st.
John Hunter close but no2.

Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Peter Hathaway Capstick!

Just imagine the fun one could have after Peter has had a few drinks clap

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68668 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
Past, so many who'd be wonderful to hunt with.

Present day, Roy Vincent, because we did and it was stellar.

Posts: 3901 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bridgo.

Posts: 1077 | Location: NT, Australia | Registered: 10 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Siberian Tiger

Ph: Buzz Charlton

Camp manager: Vladimir Putin

Posts: 193 | Location: Near the arctic circle, Norway | Registered: 14 October 2005Reply With Quote