THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Are you more likely to get RIPPED-OFF in TANZANIA?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Are you more likely to get RIPPED-OFF in TANZANIA?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I was at a party recently and a very experienced hunter with many trips to Africa, including many different African countries, said..."I will not hunt Tanzania again, it's too unstable, and it's one place you'll likely be over charged and ripped off!"

Is there any truth to this claim?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ask llamapacker, he's the expert on ripping people off. Mad

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Who is llamapacker?

One of Us
Picture of Greg Brownlee
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ackley Improved User:
I was at a party recently and a very experienced hunter with many trips to Africa, including many different African countries, said..."I will not hunt Tanzania again, it's too unstable, and it's one place you'll likely be over charged and ripped off!"

Well, it was probably (obviously) an unpleasant experience he had the first time he was there. I would not call Tanzania un-stable, and actually the hunting is fantastic. It is an expensive destination to hunt compared to say, Zimbabwe, but it is also very expensive to operate there. There are areas of Tanzania that are not extremely expensive, like the Selous Game Reserve where prices are similar to other countries in Africa, but the other areas like Masailand or near Rungwa Game Reserve are specialty areas. When you have an area that has animals like Lesser Kudu and Gerenuk, animals that can only be hunted in Tanzania, the blocks are going to be expensive to lease because the areas are at high demand to clients thus the bids are higher to get the areas. (Gerenuk can be hunted in Ehtiopia, but it's expensive there as well)

Is it expensive to hunt there? Yes.

Is it a rip off? No (if you are hunting with the right people, it's not a rip off). The variety of species available on one hunt is really incomparable to any other area in Africa at the moment.

I'm sure guys like Mark Young can weigh in on this one as Mark works for a company that owns areas in TZ.

Greg Brownlee
Neal and Brownlee, LLC
Quality Worldwide Big Game Hunts Since 1975
918/299-3580
greg@NealAndBrownlee.com

www.NealAndBrownlee.com

Instagram: @NealAndBrownleeLLC

Hunt reports:

Botswana 2010

Alaska 2011

Bezoar Ibex, Turkey 2012

Mid Asian Ibex, Kyrgyzstan 2014

Posts: 1154 | Location: Tulsa, OK | Registered: 08 February 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
AIU,

I don't think your more likely to get ripped off in Tanzania but you will pay more. If you want that East African experience, the biggest buffalo in Africa and the unique species that live in Tanzania you will have to pay for it. If you don't need the special things that Tanzania offers you can hunt much more economically in southern Africa. Whatever destination you choose do your do diligence and don't book based mostly on price and you'll more than likely have a fantastic safari.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I did get ripped off in Tanz. If you decide to book there use somebody like Mark or Wendell to keep it from happening to you.

DRSS

Posts: 626 | Location: OK USA | Registered: 07 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tanzania is no different from any other african country (except IMO the hunting is the very best). Its possible to get ripped off anywhere. Ive seen & heard of horrible outfitters in Zim, South Africa, Mozambique, and yes, even in Tanzania.

If you do you "homework" and book only with proven reputable outfitters, you will have a great safari hunt and truly love East Africa!

Tanzania has (again IMO) overall the very best outfitters and hunting anywhere in Africa, and best overall "True" Safari experience! tu2

Posts: 353 | Location: tanzania, east africa | Registered: 27 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ackley Improved User:

No.

It's not about countries, it's about individual operators and the hunter doing the correct research.

Do the research, get the right safari company with a proper safari contract and you'll have a ball.

Tanzania isn't cheap by any means but it is a helluva good hunting safari destination.

As far as stability is concerned, Tanzania is miles more stable than Zimbabwe for example but more hunters hunt Zim than probably any other African country and assuming they book with a good operator etc, virtually none have any problems.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Tanzania has (again IMO) overall the very best outfitters and hunting anywhere in Africa, and best overall "True" Safari experience!

+1

Nec Timor Nec Temeritas

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TANZ-PH:
Tanzania is no different from any other african country (except IMO the hunting is the very best). Its possible to get ripped off anywhere. Ive seen & heard of horrible outfitters in Zim, South Africa, Mozambique, and yes, even in Tanzania.

If you do you "homework" and book only with proven reputable outfitters, you will have a great safari hunt and truly love East Africa!

Tanzania has (again IMO) overall the very best outfitters and hunting anywhere in Africa, and best overall "True" Safari experience! tu2

Bingo!!

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JA:
I did get ripped off in Tanz. If you decide to book there use somebody like Mark or Wendell to keep it from happening to you.

In what way were you 'ripped off' in Tanzania?

Your detailed misadventure could be an eye opener for others.

One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JA:

Second that and add Aaron Neilson into the mix. When you start trying to get a bargain hunt and find one in Tanzania with some outfit you haven't heard of that seems too good to be true.........IT IS!!!!!! RUN!!!!! But that's true of any country.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
tu2 tu2 tu2 and some others who post here!

quote:
Originally posted by JA:

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7694 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brett Adam Barringer:
quote:
Originally posted by JA:

Second that and add Aaron Neilson into the mix. When you start trying to get a bargain hunt and find one in Tanzania with some outfit you haven't heard of that seems too good to be true.........IT IS!!!!!! RUN!!!!! But that's true of any country.

Brett

This is the best advice you can get. Use someone reputable! Tanzania is an amazing place for a safari, but NOT ALL of Tanzania is good.

It can be expensive, but often times the cost of running a safari operation in TZ, is incredible!!! Regardless, its still hunting. Whether its TZ or SA, you have to be prepared for the ups & downs, no matter how much money you pay.

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will have to take a slightly contrary position. While I do not disagree with what was said here, TZ has some other issues which have not been discussed.

In 2006, many clients, me included, had booked lion hunts. DURING the hunting season, the government suddenly closed lion hunting. In a short period of time, 2 or 3 days (I think), the closure was reversed. Try having about $70,000 up on deposit for your lion hunt and getting this news.

As bad as that was, 2007 was worse. Clients had hunts booked based upon the government prices that were widely published. Many, if not most, me included, had put up deposits. Well after the conventions, the government unilaterally decided to change prices including certain area fees and trophy fees. These were very substantial changes.

Depending on your friends connotation of ripped off,perhaps he is speaking of the above.

Every country in Africa has its share of shady operators. You can get hosed in any country if your are not careful.

Posts: 12094 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Larry,

I only remember too well about the recent goat rope in Tanzania but you remember Zambia closed to hunting 2001 and 2002 completely with some of the operators having a lot of hunts sold. Botswana has gradually taken its premier animals off the quota. On the other hand some areas are open now that had not been for many years. African hunting is an adventure to say the least and the governments just add to the experience.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tz's ridiculous BS adds just a little too much stress for my vacations. My expensive vacations.

Posts: 12094 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yep, 2007. I am one of the lucky ones as I just lost my deposit and not one of the ones that showed up after paying full hunt price and that there was no hunt.

DRSS

Posts: 626 | Location: OK USA | Registered: 07 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
problems haven't stopped. a friend of mine is still trying to get his lion, buffalo and a few other animals from his hunt 2 years ago. he was going to file a complaint with the SCI ethics committee about the outfitter but SCI wanted a $500 filing fee with no assurance that anything would become of it. he has all the documentation to support his complaint and is still trying to get his trophies. he paid in full before he left the country but apparently the outfitter never paid the government and they won't issue export docs. sorry i can't reveal the outfitters name but i have seen ALL the paper work and email correspondence and this guy is getting hosed. as others have said, however, shit can happen anywhere-and due diligence is no absolute garantee.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13394 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
due diligence is no absolute garantee.

But it beats luck!!!!!

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
as others have said, however, shit can happen anywhere-and due diligence is no absolute garantee.

NO kidding. Even with the supposed best outfitters in the business.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I echo what Mark said.

My advice would be to book with an operator that is a member of the Association.

Those that feel they got ripped off or have outstanding trophies, etc submit your complaint to the Director of Wildlife and copy the Association. If its a member, the Association can help mediate or investigate legitimate problems.

JA - those whom you say paid full hunt price in 2007 and got no hunt, booked with the WRONG outfitter and it would do a world of good to everyone reading this that are contemplating a hunt in Tz to know who they were. tu2

"...Them, they were Giants!"
J.A. Hunter describing the early explorers and settlers of East Africa

hunting is not about the killing but about the chase of the hunt.... Ortega Y Gasset

Posts: 3035 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
problems haven't stopped. a friend of mine is still trying to get his lion, buffalo and a few other animals from his hunt 2 years ago. he was going to file a complaint with the SCI ethics committee about the outfitter but SCI wanted a $500 filing fee with no assurance that anything would become of it. he has all the documentation to support his complaint and is still trying to get his trophies. he paid in full before he left the country but apparently the outfitter never paid the government and they won't issue export docs. sorry i can't reveal the outfitters name but i have seen ALL the paper work and email correspondence and this guy is getting hosed. as others have said, however, shit can happen anywhere-and due diligence is no absolute garantee.

$ 500 filing fee......

Must be something new?

Remember, forgivness is easier to get than permission.

Posts: 3994 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's Africa. You ain't in Kansas anymore, Dorothy. Anything can happen. Anything. And it often does.

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Terry Blauwkamp:
quote:

$ 500 filing fee......

Must be something new?

SCI should change their moto from FIRST FOR HUNTERS to SCREW THE HUNTERS FOR EVERY PENNY!

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68662 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
+1.

A $500 fee is shocking to me.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I filed a complaint with SCI ethics in 2007 and there was no. I think you may be mistaken.

Jeff

Posts: 2857 | Location: FL | Registered: 18 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think it wise to buy trip insurance anytime one goes abroad to hunt. Correct? AIU

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Perhaps. However, one has to check the coverages and specific exclusions to make sure everything is covered.