Find
Notify
Tools

Unfortunate incident.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted
My first safari of the season was mired by self defence shooting of an elephant in long grass whilst on the heels of a couple of buffalo.

Late rains in Zambia had resulted in swathes of long thick grass and sticky conditions. I had negotiated a cheap buff hunt with this chap who had agreed to help me open camp. We would hunt buffalo around the many chores we had to undertake. The conditions made for tough going and the odd dagga boy was keeping to the thickest of cover.

I had remarked that this sort of hunting was fairly dangerous and that we would be shooting at shadows. The only plan was to track up fresh spoor of buff with the hope of sending a solid up the tail of one of these beasts. In elephant country I carry a solid in my left barrel.

We had found some water which three buff were visiting and had made a plan to get in there fairly early the following day. It was shit country and the grass cover was extremely dense in places. There was sign of elephant everywhere we went and we would occasionally bump them whilst driving.

On the morning of the 16 May we decided to head straight for the small pool of water hoping to cut the tracks of our quarry. I had my trackers check other more open water points first hoping the buffalo would remove themselves from this place. About an hour or so into the walk an elephant screamed downwind from the party and typically most of the team departed. The monitoring scout immediately let off a couple of warning shots whilst I got my client to stand by me. Over the top of the grass I could see the top of her head briefly. At that point she lowered her head and burst through the grass. My only recollection was that I had to adjust my sight picture as her head was so low. The double tap resulted in a head shot and one in the top of her neck as she fell in front of us. I had both fingers on the triggers and shot the left barrel first which was the solid. As other elephant could be heard we quickly vacated the area and tunnelled through the grass keeping our scent downwind. The march out was almost as agonising as the incident itself.

The wildlife department was called to take statements and inspect the site. They measured the distance of the shot as five yards. I had left my empty cartridges on the ground. Having removed the ivory and tail I was instructed to distribute the meat to the nearby community.

We abandoned the buff hunting and I offered my client the chance to come back next year and much later on in the season. An offer which he readily accepted.

The incident lasted but a couple of seconds and things got out of control in half that time. What I did note was that the target area was large compared to that of a charging buff. My client claimed to have made a warning shot but probably at the same time I fired because I do not recollect it.

Inspection of the carcass found the elephant to be healthy but she was old and probably barren.

I can only presume that she had some sort traumatic altercation with humans in the past? For me it was a sad occasion and an unnecessary waste of life. My community thought otherwise.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9983 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Thunder Head
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you did the only thing you could to defend the client and your self.

It sucks but the alternative would suck more!

I have walked in the foot prints of the elephant, listened to lion roar and met the buffalo on his turf. I shall never be the same.

Posts: 813 | Location: In the shadow of Currahee | Registered: 29 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hate to hear....but, everyone is safe. Good shooting saved lives.

Skip Nantz

Posts: 539 | Location: SouthEast, KY | Registered: 09 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is good that everyone is safe and that you were ready to handle this situation and you performed well. The locals will get much needed protein.

Posts: 225 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 08 May 2013Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Well done Andrew.

Glad everything worked out in a very bad situation.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68795 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Andrew, I though you always carried an empty rifle until you've picked out your quarry? This is the EXACT scenario Buzz and others offered a differing opinion on whilst hunting the Zambezi.

Unfortunate for sure but you did what you had to do and kept everyone safe.

I still get a good laugh out of guys like Saeed who say there is no danger in hunting dangerous game! Things can go pear shaped in a heartbeat!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Really glad to hear you and your client are OK!

Sometimes, nature gives you no other choices.

Good shooting Andrew!

Posts: 2628 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:
Andrew, I though you always carried an empty rifle until you've picked out your quarry? This is the EXACT scenario Buzz and others offered a differing opinion on whilst hunting the Zambezi.

I still get a good laugh out of guys like Saeed who say there is no danger in hunting dangerous game! Things can go pear shaped in a heartbeat!

Hi Todd,

That is the norm until we start after DG or in the vicinity of or in long grass. Unlike the Zambezi jesse my country is mainly open savannah and visibility for the most very good.

I often will load my rifle if following up wounded cats!

Cheers

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Andrew, it sounds like you had to do what you had to do. I'm glad that it worked out safely.

You always have to be careful in the long grass.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12711 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That element of unexpected, but very real danger is why old men (and young) pay such ridiculously high prices to hunt DG in Africa.

I am really glad no one was hurt or killed. The upside was a lot of people who desperately need protein got meat, and the downside, was the client didn't get his buff and went home empty-handed.

At least he has an exciting tale to share.

BH63

Hunting buff is better than sex!

Posts: 2205 | Registered: 29 December 2015Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:

Hunting dangerous game is infinitely less dangerous than living in a big city.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68795 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You did what was necessary. No more no less. She lost her life trying to take yours and your client. The regret is understandable, but what other choice was there? Bruce

Posts: 376 | Location: Gillette, Wy USA | Registered: 11 May 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow. Well done. Glad all turned out well.

one of us
Picture of mouse93
posted Hide Post
Andrew I am glad you are fine.

I have chased Buffalo under similar conditions for 2 weeks back in 09 - gladly with no casualties at the end, however after reading this and looking back through prism of sanity I'd say the line between dangerous and silly under those conditions is very fuzzy and I believe I will think twice next time - if I will have a choice.

Posts: 2032 | Location: Slovenia | Registered: 28 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like maybe the boy scouts are right:
Be prepared!

Good thing you were not day dreaming like many do.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6028 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Andrew;

Well done!!!!

Best regards, D. Nelson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tough situation, but strong work keeping everyone safe.

You're a braver man than I stuffing both fingers into the trigger guard! I suppose it hurts less than a trunk toss, though...

Posts: 1449 | Location: New England | Registered: 22 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Until someone's been in that situation, no one really knows what it's like, but mouse93 has described it well. Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Andrew, I'm certainly glad you put her down, but I understand your sorrow at having done so. You are to be commended on both counts.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13675 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Glad you are safe mate. I would love to have been there!

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11253 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
Good show!

I have been in the long grass with Ele and Buff in different countries. Never cared for it much. One must be in a constant state of alert and maintain your guard until you find a clearing. Very different from hunting thick jess.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good shooting Andrew. Close call. Glad everyone is safe. I really don't like long grass.

Posts: 10383 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am so glad that I read your account rather than kind words from your friends reminiscing ... tu2

Posts: 1544 | Location: Alberta/Namibia | Registered: 29 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
You need to buy a tractor with a bush hog. Joyce said she would be more than happy to burn all that for you. Big Grin

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7624 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
Andrew,

Glad you are ok. While it is unfortunate to have killed the elephant you are still far on the positive side of animals saved by your conservation efforts.

If that is the area where Leon and I hunted that is some thick and long grass.

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeBurke:
Andrew,

Glad you are ok. While it is unfortunate to have killed the elephant you are still far on the positive side of animals saved by your conservation efforts.

If that is the area where Leon and I hunted that is some thick and long grass.

Hi Mike,

The very place except for the whole concession was covered in grass.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mouse93:
Andrew I am glad you are fine.

I have chased Buffalo under similar conditions for 2 weeks back in 09 - gladly with no casualties at the end, however after reading this and looking back through prism of sanity I'd say the line between dangerous and silly under those conditions is very fuzzy and I believe I will think twice next time - if I will have a choice.

Agree and I took the decision to stop hunting buff as there were too many elephant around. I offered my client the opportunity to come back at a later date at my cost.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
Picture of ovny
posted Hide Post
A sad event I think was inevitable. Nobody knows how it will react a wild animal. Look at the positive animal was a source of food for the locals which is something not unimportant.

Regards friend,

Ovny.

I am Spanish

My forum:www.armaslargasdecaza.com

Posts: 1131 | Location: Spain (Madrid) | Registered: 11 June 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
quote:

Hunting dangerous game is infinitely less dangerous than living in a big city.

It wouldn't be if you carried a rifle while in town like you do in the field!

.............................................................. jumping

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm glad you and the client came away from the incident unscathed, Andrew. I'm fortunate that the trip with Diane was quite uneventful, but very memorable.

One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
Chalk it up to quick reflexes and good shooting Andrew. May have cost you another of the 9 lives we have but you prevented a dire consequence from occurring. Well done!

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6825 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As they say up in my neck of the woods..."Pole Andrew" Cool

Glad you got the "at-least-once-a-year charge" out of the way early in the season....

Keep safe!

"...Them, they were Giants!"
J.A. Hunter describing the early explorers and settlers of East Africa

hunting is not about the killing but about the chase of the hunt.... Ortega Y Gasset

Posts: 3035 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With Quote