THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    DANNIE VAN GRAANS GUIDE KILLED BY A LEOPARD

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

DANNIE VAN GRAANS GUIDE KILLED BY A LEOPARD
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted
Pierre van der Walt communicated this
I am sad to report that my friend, Danie van Graan of Engonyameni Hunting Safaris, lost his protégé professional hunter, Mageka Ntuli (30), on Wednesday to a leopard. I only met Mageka once, but he impressed me no-end with his sunny personality, dedication and knowledge. Danie had raised Mageka as a son and coached Mageka to one day take Engonyameni Hunting Safaris over upon Danie’s retirement. The leopard attacked Mageka without warning while he was hunting antelope for rations. The reason for the attack remains a mystery as the leopard was healthy and in excellent condition. Danie later went after the leopard and was also charged and pounced upon, but killed the animal with his 45-70. My condolences to Danie and Karin and Mageka’s family.

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6382 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
Dannie was the favourite PH of col Jeff Cooper and of one of my oldest clients and good friend Bill Berlat -aka-billinthewild .He often used 4570s and while guiding Bill on lion used one .

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA

Posts: 6382 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Prayers and condolences to his friends and family.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sad news. This must be rare to have a leopard attack unprovoked...yes? AIU

One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
I was very saddened by this tragic event. I have hunted with, and visited, Danie and Karin off and on since 1988. Two years ago I hunted with Mageka and in years past
hunted with his father, Gugwan. A very promising young man whose life has been sadly cut short. He will be missed.

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana338
posted Hide Post
Prayers for the family.

The only wild animals that attack like that are the ones that are rabid.

Danie, needs to go to a doctor and be checked for rabies. If the leopard, bit or clawed him...

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"You've got the strongest hand in the world. That's right. Your hand. The hand that marks the ballot. The hand that pulls the voting lever. Use it, will you" John Wayne

Posts: 1628 | Location: West River at Heart | Registered: 08 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very sad indeed.

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Very Sad!
Leopard's head was sent off for rabies testing?
Many were touched by this heartbreaking disaster. Prayers, and condolences.

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
http://lowvelder.co.za/227439/...ttacks-local-farmer/

Leopard kills man, attacks local farmer

He barely escaped the same animal’s claws when he went looking for the predator after the event.

Mireille de Villiers | 10 October 2014 13:30

KAAPMUIDEN – “I am too traumatised to speak about my ‘son’s’ death.” These were the words of well-known Onderberg farmer Mr Danie van Graan (60) after the brutal death of Mr Mageka Ntuli (30) whom he had raised as his own and who was killed by a leopard on Tuesday.
Van Graan barely escaped the same animal’s claws when he went looking for the predator after the event. Ntuli was a professional hunter and Van Graan’s right-hand man. He died from his injuries on Wednesday morning.
Van Graan told Lowvelder that he was extremely traumatised by the events. “I have two daughters and I never had a son. I raised him as my own and trained him as a professional hunter.” Van Graan is the father of well-known model and actress Tanya van Graan.
Ntuli had lived on Van Graan’s farm since he was six years old. He started out working in the garden, before Van Graan trained him to hunt.
“I wanted him to take over Engonyameni Hunting Safaris from me. We walked this road together and I was so proud of him.”
Ntuli had apparently gone looking for an impala to shoot for the pot when he encountered the leopard. It remains unclear who found him or to which hospital he had been taken.
Van Graan allegedly alerted authorities and went searching for the animal. When he found it, he was also attacked, but miraculously escaped serious injury and managed to kill it. He would only confirm that it was indeed exceptionally large.
• Leopard attacks in the Lowveld are relatively common. In 2012 a leopard attacked a predator expert at the Mpumalanga Tourism and Parks Agency. Lowvelder reported at the time that Mr Gerrie Camacho and game ranger Mr Brandon Mandy were fitting a tracking collar to the animal at Thaba Tholo Private Game Reserve near Lydenburg when it attacked.
It bit through Camacho’s left hand and bit both his left and right arms. He also sustained injuries to his face. Comacho managed to shoot the animal during the incident and spent about two weeks in hospital.
He says attacks without provocation are extremely abnormal. “It can happen, but 90 per cent of the time there is a reason.” He listed many possible causes such as the animal being injured, wounded, hungry or old and desperate or cornered. He says in South Africa leopard attacks are less frequent, but worldwide and in places like India, they usually attack due to loss of their habitat.
• Three people have been killed by leopard in the Kruger National Park in recent years. The first incident took place in 1998 when a game ranger was attacked and killed next to a game viewing vehicle. In 2001a woman was jogging in Skukuza’s personnel village when an injured leopard attacked her and in 2003 a child was killed, also in the village.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9502 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
I was hunting in RSA in 2001 and a ranger in Kruger was killed by an unprovoked leopard attack. The cat literally dropped from a tree into the back of their cruiser. Unprovoked attacks happen.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thoughts and prayers to all concerned.

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by impala#03:

Ts & Ps never brought the dead back to life - I wonder if the deceased's family received any form of compensation instead?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by billinthewild:
I was very saddened by this tragic event. I have hunted with, and visited, Danie and Karin off and on since 1988. Two years ago I hunted with Mageka and in years past
hunted with his father, Gugwan. A very promising young man whose life has been sadly cut short. He will be missed.

My condolences Bill and to Danie and his family...I am deeply moved by this tragedy.

I/TrophyShotPrints.com would like to make a contribution to his honor.

Could you PM me Danie's email please!

Thank you

Roland

Posts: 3430 | Registered: 24 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
Dannie van Graan can be reached at vgraan@mweb.co.za

DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you!

Posts: 3430 | Registered: 24 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fujotupu:
quote:
Originally posted by impala#03:

Ts & Ps never brought the dead back to life - I wonder if the deceased's family received any form of compensation instead?

"The leopard attacked Mageka without warning while he was hunting antelope for rations."

Compensation for what? In your own words, will the compensation bring the dead back to life.

I can't believe you actually have the balls to bash someone for posting condolences. Might be time to put down the keyboard or bottle and slowly back away.

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7624 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Compensation for what? In your own words, will the compensation bring the dead back to life.

Frostbit:

Was the deceased not another man's employee raised from childhood and adopted as a son?
He obviously was no longer a child and possibly with a family of his own, now left without their provider.

To answer your question: No, neither will bring him back to life but a gesture of material or financial worth will go a damn sight further!

One other thing, condolences are just an expression of thought, merely a costume of etiquette, spoken once and immediately forgotten, as in "thoughts & prayers" whereas a different phrasing without involving religion might be more acceptable and for those who wish to make an additional gesture, offer something more than etiquette!

One poster actually went a step further to just offering condolences.

Oh and by the way, I don't drink - Have a nice day coffee

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Frostbit:

Was the deceased not another man's employee raised from childhood and adopted as a son?
He obviously was no longer a child and possibly with a family of his own, now left without their provider.

To answer your question: No, neither will bring him back to life but a gesture of material or financial worth will go a damn sight further!

One other thing, condolences are just an expression of thought, merely a costume of etiquette, spoken once and immediately forgotten, as in "thoughts & prayers" whereas a different phrasing without involving religion might be more acceptable and for those who wish to make an additional gesture, offer something more than etiquette!

I will vouch for Fujo's not drinking...over 21 days he never did. How about you Frostbit? Do you?

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7578 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AnotherAZWriter:
quote:
quote:

Frostbit:

I will vouch for Fujo's not drinking...over 21 days he never did. How about you Frostbit? Do you?

I don't think it's a time to bash people. Frostbit took offense that fujo dismissed a member offering thoughts and prayers to someone he likely did not know. Frankly, I saw fujo's comment to the original poster offering condolences as offensive.

We all care about those injured in the line of duty, but may express feelings in different ways. I don't know if the Frontline Foundation is aware, but that would be a vehicle to assist.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3458 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cazador humilde
posted Hide Post
Don't let the religion police(man) divert this thread.

Prayers said for all involved.

Posts: 1278 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 31 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DCS Member:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Frostbit:

I don't think it's a time to bash people. Frostbit took offense that fujo dismissed a member offering thoughts and prayers to someone he likely did not know. Frankly, I saw fujo's comment to the original poster offering condolences as offensive.

We all care about those injured in the line of duty, but may express feelings in different ways. I don't know if the Frontline Foundation is aware, but that would be a vehicle to assist.

DCS:

I don't think Fujo's comment was particularly constructive, but it isn't the first time he has said such a thing; I get his point.

As for drinking, I was just pointing out Fujo does not drink. I was not bashing Frostbit.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7578 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
AAZ,

Understood. It's just hard to decipher posts. All in good AR fun.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
"We all care about those injured in the line of duty, but may express feelings in different ways. I don't know if the Frontline Foundation is aware, but that would be a vehicle to assist."

DCS Member: To answer your question, yes, The Frontline Foundation is aware of this and is working on getting firsthand information.

Karl

Karl Evans

Posts: 2910 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Please keep me posted Karl. Thanks.

Dave Fulson

Posts: 1467 | Registered: 20 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
Karl,

I wasn't trying to call out Frontline at all. I know you guys have a finger on the pulse of things quite well.

Keep up the good work.

Marcus Cady

Marcus Cady

DRSS

One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Frostbit:

Yes I do, but none on board when I posted to Fujotupu. He has my apology for taking his post as a condemnation of another posters condolences. With his measured response I better understand what motive may have drove him to reply to someone else's attempt at goodwill as he did.

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7624 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
DSC is in contact with the persons involved and they will help the family of the guide .ONE MORE TIME DSC IS WORKING IN A PERFECT MANNER .

DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My deepest condolences to his family. tragedies like this remind us all that there is danger in dangerous game hunting.

Posts: 920 | Location: Chico California | Registered: 02 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Guillermo Amestoy
posted Hide Post
“Vir my pa was hy soos die seun wat hy nooit gehad het nie. Ons is net twee dogters en dit het my hart altyd so bly gemaak dat hy daar was.”...Tabya Van Graan`......
RIP Mageka !!!

"Every ignored reallity prepares its revenge!"

Posts: 883 | Location: Provincia de Cordoba - Republica Argentina -Southamerica | Registered: 09 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Any other details about the attack?

Posts: 6080 | Location: New York City "The Concrete Jungle" | Registered: 04 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
We only know that the guide was hunting antelope for the pot and was charged by a big male .Dannie went after it was charged too and killed it with a lever action 4570 .

DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wasn't a fund established to address this sort of eventuality? Anyone have any details.

Posts: 10382 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
One of us-one of our brothers.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Thierry Labat
posted Hide Post
R.I.P

Posts: 644 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 10 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Leopardtrack:
Any other details about the attack?

According T.Van Graans statement in an interview;

"For my dad , he was like the son he never had. We're just two girls and my heart always so happy that he was there . "

This is the model Tanya van Graan said Monday about the death of a young lodge manager like a son and brother in their house.

Mageka Ntuli ( 30 ) in Kaapmuiden in Mpumalanga by a leopard when he attacked on foot hunting .

Ntuli , according to the model like a brother to her. " Family is not always based on the same blood , color or culture. "

Her father , Danie van Graan ( 60 ) , last Monday a call from Ntuli found . He said a leopard attacked him .

He was apparently walking behind impala to when he was attacked.

" My father immediately drove , but was 40 km from him . Meanwhile, an old man along the border instead walked , she heard screams . He is disabled and with difficulty to Mageka walked . The leopard was still nearby , because Mageka was him in a hole in the rocks to see . "

The man took him to his truck helped .

" Mageka had self-government since the old man does not know how, " said Tanya said.

Ntuli with wounds to his head and shoulder after the Kaapmuiden clinic drove , where Danie van Graan met him .

An ambulance took him to the Rob Ferreira Hospital in Mbombela taken . He died there on Wednesday .

Her father and two other men , the leopard look .

"When he approaches the gap between the rocks move, the leopard out of the hole and jumped towards him . The leopard was so close that he was my dad fell when he was shot . "

He was also injured and needed medical assistance in Malelane get .

Tanya said Ntuli 's father , Gugwane Ntuli , was for years a ranger and tracker on Van Graans 's farm .

Ntuli yr . wanted from the age of six down to learn more about the field , and hunt animals . " With my father 's help he studying mastered and qualified as a professional hunter .

" At the time of his death he was on our old farm for Libuyile Community Trust worked and he was the manager of the lodge .

" My parents live on the neighboring farm , so it was easy to maintain friendship , " said Tanya said.

" My father was Mageka 's mentor, his friend and a father figure . "

Ntuli is on Sunday morning at his grandfather was buried .
The police do an inquest .

Posts: 883 | Location: Provincia de Cordoba - Republica Argentina -Southamerica | Registered: 09 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
Guillermo, thanks.

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I work for Juan as a guide and paramedic ,so i understand the daily work that Magekas had ist wonderfull and exiting but very hard .We live of the gerosity of the clients , outfitters ,and PHs.
AR members that came every year help us a lot ,so Juan ,that takes cares of me and my family as a bro ,Dannie did the same with Mageka .And Richard T. Cheatham ,Pierre van der Walt and Juan Pablo Pozzi demostrated a generosity that its unveliable in modern times .Sorry for my bad english But thankyou very much accuratereloading you have the best people of modern times .I dont know Mageka but i fell him as a camarada .Thank you very much ,you are inspiring .

Posts: 108 | Location: Cordoba | Registered: 15 July 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Do not worry "Julio"... Your english is as good as your boss english... rotflmo