Find
Notify
Tools

New to the AR arena
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of hunteratheart
posted
Just committed to buy an AR 15 in 6.5 Grendel. Used to bolts and doubles. Anything this greenhorn needs to know right off the bat? Should they be 'disassembled' and cleaned before first use? Are there certain bullet 'tips' that won't permit proper feeding - I.e. should always use a pointed tip or are rounds/flat tips ok for feeding?

DRSS
Sabatti 450\400 NE
Merkel 140-2 500 NE

Posts: 668 | Location: WA | Registered: 24 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Clean it thoroughly and run it wet, at least at first. There could be a few malfunctions until it's broken in, some do; then again some run well from the first round through it. I use both the 6.8 and the 458 socom.

"For they have sown the wind, and they shall reap the whirlwind..."
Hosea 8:7

Posts: 579 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 January 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Run it wet, lubed with BREAKFREE.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hunteratheart:
Just committed to buy an AR 15 in 6.5 Grendel. Used to bolts and doubles. Anything this greenhorn needs to know right off the bat? Should they be 'disassembled' and cleaned before first use? Are there certain bullet 'tips' that won't permit proper feeding - I.e. should always use a pointed tip or are rounds/flat tips ok for feeding?

Most ARs in the original 5.56mm chambering, unless they're total crap builds using out-of-spec parts, will run and feed fine, as long as they're run well-lubed - or "wet" - as the Special-Forces honchos say.

Can't speak to off-brand calibers and chamberings, like yours. Some run fine from the git-go, others cough, burp, and hiccup like recalcitrant jam-o-matics.

As always, read and follow the manufacturer's instructions.

All The Best ...

Posts: 813 | Location: Texas | Registered: 15 October 2015Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
mind crimp, OAL, and if you are building, the barrel nut is important

get a good trigger and stake the castle nut on the rec. ext.

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38460 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hers a little story about a wet and dry action.

I was range officer for our annual rifle recert.

One of the troopers who had previous military so he knew it all had been talking to his friend just back from the sand box.

He gets up to the line I have them go hot and after the first shot I this trooper having trouble getting his rifle to shoot.

After every body was done with that stage I called a cease fire and went up to him and asked what the problem was.

He goes my fire is malfunctioning every round.

Also being the department colt armorer I have him hand it over and take a look.

As I pulled the operating handle back it felt like there was sand in it.

The action was completely dry. I asked him when was the last time he lube it. He said lube it my buddy says you need to run them dry other wise they jam on you.

So he took gun degreaser and hosed the rifle down removing any trace of lube

I said its a piston it needs lube moving parts need to be lubed.

I sprayed it down with break free and he didn't have another problem with it all day.

The two most common problems I ran into when during are annual inspections on our fire arms were no lube and those that were dripping with lube.

Some people just didn't under stand a light coat.

Posts: 19357 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
It's been my experience that AR's will give back what oil they don't want so run it wet

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you want to run it right, get either the Army or USMC operator's Maintenance Tech manual ( google it) and follow the instructions fo ryour climate area. In short, no where in eother TM does the military advise to "wet" an M16/M4 dowm with oil of any sort. In fact, either a light coat ( meaning two drops of CLP per cleaning patch) or virtually dry ( desert/dusty conditions).

You won't see any improvement from a dripping wet BCG, but you will get oil in the eyes, all over your ammunition and gather more fouling, dust and dirt to boot.

Anyway, What would I know, after 24 years of carrying them for Uncle Sam and another 12 for myself in varied conditions/circumstances?

Magazines are more the culprit for AR failures than any other cause.

Anecdotally, I fired 1200 rounds of heavy 75 and 80 grain Varget charged match ammunition w/o cleaning in high power practice & competition in 2011. Only wiped the bore and sear/discon of the Xtreme AR trigger with a wet patch after each session, zero malfunctions of any type. Was encrusted with fouling but ran like a champ.

Posts: 1082 | Location: MidWest USA  | Registered: 27 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HPMaster:
If you want to run it right, get either the Army or USMC operator's Maintenance Tech manual ( google it) and follow the instructions fo ryour climate area. In short, no where in eother TM does the military advise to "wet" an M16/M4 dowm with oil of any sort. In fact, either a light coat ( meaning two drops of CLP per cleaning patch) or virtually dry ( desert/dusty conditions).

You won't see any improvement from a dripping wet BCG, but you will get oil in the eyes, all over your ammunition and gather more fouling, dust and dirt to boot.

Anyway, What would I know, after 24 years of carrying them for Uncle Sam and another 12 for myself in varied conditions/circumstances?

Magazines are more the culprit for AR failures than any other cause.

Anecdotally, I fired 1200 rounds of heavy 75 and 80 grain Varget charged match ammunition w/o cleaning in high power practice & competition in 2011. Only wiped the bore and sear/discon of the Xtreme AR trigger with a wet patch after each session, zero malfunctions of any type. Was encrusted with fouling but ran like a champ.

Oil in your eyes?

Wet doesn't mean what you're implying but I will loose no sleep

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Me neither. Pour oil if you want, won't help and will hurt.

This OP is a new to ARs- so going to the source for op maint is the wise advice.

Yes, I have seen and had NCOs on the range squirting CLP into BCGs-some ran some didn't fare any better, but a clean and properly lubed AR SHOULD be very reliable. If it isn't, look first to mags, then ammo, then gas key/tube and bolt rings. Not much else to worry about unless physical damage is obvious, like dented buffer tube or the like.

Merry Christmas and peace on earth, in spite of mankind and opinion.

Posts: 1082 | Location: MidWest USA  | Registered: 27 April 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
unless physical damage is obvious, like dented buffer tube or the like.

Had a Sgt bring my a M16 asked if I could fix. I said I'll take a look at it.

The bolt was partly forward but wouldn't lock up.
I pulled the bolt out and looked at it the gas key had a nice dent in it.

It was obvious to me they had the bolt out and dropped it and the gas key hit on something hard.

The trooper who was issued it said he didn't drop it. Right.

So I replace it and the rifle worked fine afterwards.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Lightly oiled seems to work well.

No oil or dripping oil both cause trouble

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If it's just a range plinker, for shooting 20-rds or less per outing, just lube it lightly.

But if you're going to run it hard, like through a 3-day, 1500-rd tactical rifle course, then run it "wet" and keep it well-lubed.

All The Best ...

Posts: 813 | Location: Texas | Registered: 15 October 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ted Thorn: <<Oil in your eyes?>>

If you are using a mil issued rifle and oil up the rear sight it can happen.

sputster

Posts: 759 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 18 December 2003Reply With Quote