Find
Notify
Tools

Federal ammo -- boxed primers??
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Woodmnctry
posted
Did I actually read this somewhere or was I dreaming that all Federal 5.56 ammo comes with "boxed" primers??
And if that is the case -- what about reloading?
G

OMG!-- my bow is "pull-push feed" - how dreadfully embarrasing!!!!!

Posts: 926 | Location: 8K Ft in Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Perhaps you meant "boxer" primers. I believe the answer is yes.

However, with the exception of LC brass sold under the Federal logo, Federal brass is generally considered to be a bit on the soft side.

Can be reloaded but may not go as many times as some other brands.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Woodmnctry
posted Hide Post
Yep on the "boxer"---- posted that to late at night ----that said --- are there any reloading problems one should be aware of w/ boxer primers--- should have probably asked this over in the reloading section was thinking about the AR-15 world when this all came up
TKS
G

Posts: 926 | Location: 8K Ft in Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Boxer primers are the standard here in the U.S.

Berdan primers are used in brass designed for them and require different tools for decapping.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
WMC,

the Berdan primer has two primer holes in the case. Royal PITA to deprime. Dates to Berdan's Sharpshooters in the civil war. Military folks like the notion of the double sparking hole.

Boxer, your guess is as good as mine where the name came from. They have a single, central hole in the case. This is what you find 99% of the time in American brass and ammunition.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Woodmnctry
posted Hide Post
Understand the Berdan vs Boxed --- where I was really headed with this -- guess I did not properly state my concern was that somewhere I read that Federal was crimping their primers --- think it had to do with ammo that might be used for military ??

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've loaded alot of federal commercial .223 brass.
None of it was ever crimped. Yes, it is softer then I like, and very inconsistant when weight sorted. I would never pay money for it, but I got a bunch of it for free.

Posts: 3034 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 01 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of GunCat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
WMC,

the Berdan primer has two primer holes in the case. Royal PITA to deprime. Dates to Berdan's Sharpshooters in the civil war. Military folks like the notion of the double sparking hole.

Boxer, your guess is as good as mine where the name came from. They have a single, central hole in the case. This is what you find 99% of the time in American brass and ammunition.

Rich

Edward Boxer, an Englishman, designed the “Boxer” primer. Patented first in England around 1866 and later in the US in 1869.

Steve Rose
----------
Rose Action Sports, LLC
www.roseactionsports.com

Posts: 189 | Location: Western Kentucky | Registered: 02 November 2007Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
other's have said, its boxer, not boxed
invented in england
berdan primers invented in the US

largely swapped locations for us

federal is only boxer primed

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38462 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you have an issue with crimped-in primers, just buy the Dillon tool that swages the crimp out.

It gives you something to do between big game seasons, and Spring when you can go up into the high country to shoot Rockchucks.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote