New
Find
Notify
Tools

458 SOCOM brass?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
As part of a sale/barter on a HD Road King, I have recently come into possession of a Rock River Arms AR in 458 SOCOM.

Powder, primers, bullets, dies- no problem. But brass.. good lord.

One manufacturer in the world giving no indication of when more will be produced, and no backorders allowed at any of the usual outlets.

Does anyone have any in their stash they'd be willing to sell for something less than the $1.50 per piece I'm seeing on Gunbroker?

Posts: 256 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 18 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
I bought corbon 350's and 400's a couple boxes at time... until I built up my stash.... I bought lee dies and have heard mixed reviews about them... have yet to reload any, one of these days I will... in the meantime, im just shooting factory...

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2829 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Starline or SBR will be your best source. Both out right now. Call starline and place order don't use the net.

JD

DRSS
9.3X74 tika 512
9.3X74 SXS
Merkel 140 in 470 Nitro

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I use Lee Socom dies and they work perfectly and so do my friends; have not heard anything bad about them.

Posts: 17122 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
I just gave up today on finding my upper parts and ammo. Ordered a .25 cal PCP rifle. I have a pump and various items for it and it can be quiet with a 43 gr pellet. Legal with no tax stamp! Just can't shoot as large of game with it. Couldn't see myself ordering an upper kit from Bill Wilson's on my credit card then waiting an unspecified amount of time. Good luck to those with the SOCOM in hand. I am living vicariously through your posts.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Guess I'm a thread killer.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wilson Combat is a good source for 458 SOCOM components.

Posts: 309 | Location: WV | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have some brass if you need it. PM me and I will see what I can part with.

Matt

Posts: 374 | Location: Anchorage AK | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Looks like I am going to eventually have a 458 socom on a Savage.. If you find brass please let us know

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38487 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
i found brass for $104/100 on gunbroker .. i am good with that, and ordered a couple

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38487 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
AFAIK, SOCOM brass is only made by Starline. They only make a run when they have enough orders to cover the run of brass. The best way to get some is to order it from Midway and place it on backorder. They will ship it when it shows up.

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=

DRSS; NRA; Illinois State Rifle Association; Missouri Sport Shooting Association

“One of the sad signs of our times is that we have demonized those who produce, subsidized those who refuse to produce, and canonized those who complain.”
– Thomas Sowell, “The Vision Of The Anointed: Self-Congratulation As A Basis For Social Policy”

Posts: 771 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 09 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Smokin Joe
posted Hide Post

Posts: 403 | Location: CA | Registered: 30 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by scojac:
AFAIK, SOCOM brass is only made by Starline. They only make a run when they have enough orders to cover the run of brass. The best way to get some is to order it from Midway and place it on backorder. They will ship it when it shows up.

Why not just order it from Starline? Won't they also put it on backorder and for cheaper than MidwayUSA?

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grumulkin:
quote:
Originally posted by scojac:

Why not just order it from Starline? Won't they also put it on backorder and for cheaper than MidwayUSA?

The brass is listed as being a little cheaper from Starline, but Starline and Midway are both out right now. The difference is that Midway will backorder your order and will ship it when it shows up. You don't have to keep checking back and maybe missing it because your timing was bad. Starline doesn't backorder.

DRSS; NRA; Illinois State Rifle Association; Missouri Sport Shooting Association

“One of the sad signs of our times is that we have demonized those who produce, subsidized those who refuse to produce, and canonized those who complain.”
– Thomas Sowell, “The Vision Of The Anointed: Self-Congratulation As A Basis For Social Policy”

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just saw a post on another forum. Somebody was talking to Starline and found out that there will be another run of .458 SOCOM brass around mid-April. If you want some, you should get it ordered right away at Midway. They will backorder it and ship it when they receive it. Buy a bunch while it's available. They only make it once in a while.

One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
You're a bit mistaken about Starline not back ordering. I've back ordered from them more than once AND 458 SOCOM brass is currently listed there as being available for back order.

MidwayUSA is really no different. Some of their products are listed as no back order while some are available as back order. Also some of their items that had been listed as not available for back order at a later date become available.

If you're going to buy a bunch of brass, Starline is really the way to go.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Smokin Joe
posted Hide Post
As of today, March 27, their website states the following:

"Status: BackOrdered - Available: 03/28/2014 "

They have a "Notify Me" button

Posts: 403 | Location: CA | Registered: 30 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Old thread here. But Starline is taking orders right now for .458 SOCOM. I eventually got a kit from Wilson Combat. Made up a SOCOM with an upper from Midway USA. It shoots well and has the softest recoil I have felt from a 45-70. It is basically a semiauto 45-70.