New
Find
Notify
Tools

Australian bow trophy
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
A BR shooting buddy of mine from Seymour,Texas just got back from OZ. He was able to get this monster with a bow. They told him if the measurement stands, it will be third on the list. I think John said they were hunting out of Gove??

Butch

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
DANG!!! Now that's a great buffalo!

Posts: 816 | Location: Whitlock, TN | Registered: 23 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you're interested, he used a Mathews Rezen 70# pull. He used 700grn. Alaska Grizzly Sticks with 290grn. Nanook Point 2 blade. Shot was at 25 yards quartering.He had complete penetration with only the fletchs in the animal. He went 50yds.
Butch

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It could only have been done with a Mathews...

Rich
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 458Lottfan
posted Hide Post
Butchlambert: Do you know what kind of velocity he was getting with set up? I was just looking at ordering some Grizzly Sticks. Did he have any issues getting them to shoot?

That is incredibly cool! Thanks for sharing! I want to go back to OZ to hunt. When I lived in Brisbane I just worked all the time and never met any hunters.

Posts: 583 | Location: Mesa, AZ | Registered: 08 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jbderunz
posted Hide Post
Congratulations!!!

IMHO, Grizzlis are wonderful, but penetrationwise, I prefer the Stos. Thicker and a lesser frontal area.

Anyhow an outstanding buffalo and an incredible achievement.

J B de Runz
Be careful when blindly following the masses ... generally the "m" is silent

Posts: 1727 | Location: France, Alsace, Saverne | Registered: 24 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Super accomplishment by the gentleman from Seymour! Thanks for sharing.

archer

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:

Rich
DRSS

If he would have used a PSE it would have been a pass through.

Posts: 234 | Registered: 17 September 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 724wd
posted Hide Post
and if he'd been shooting a Martin, the arrow would still be going! Big Grin

NRA Life Member

Gun Control - A theory espoused by some monumentally stupid people; who claim to believe, against all logic and common sense, that a violent predator who ignores the laws prohibiting them from robbing, raping, kidnapping, torturing and killing their fellow human beings will obey a law telling them that they cannot own a gun.

Posts: 992 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm so happy for you and on the other hand so sad for me! Water buffalo have always been a dream of mine. I love to see someone else fulfilling their dreams too.

Great buffalo and with a bow to boot!!

the chef

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
IMHO, Grizzlis are wonderful, but penetrationwise, I prefer the Stos. Thicker and a lesser frontal area.

Not exactly true, the Grizzly's come in a number of different weights and the 160's and 190 El Grandes are the thickest. They do have a bigger frontal area, but that extra width makes them stronger, I have seen the STOS tip curl up like a elf shoe on bones.

Posts: 421 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 15 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Hunting For Adventure
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:

Rich
DRSS

You're an idiot. Seriously?!?!

Tom Addleman
tom@dirtnapgear.com

Posts: 1161 | Location: Kansas City, Missouri | Registered: 03 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It is a very nice bull. I would caution anyone going after water buffalo to NOT take a quartering away shot, its a VERY low percentage shot.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll tell John next time I talk to him.
Butch

One of Us
posted Hide Post
nice bull

loboga, if you "tanto" the tip of the STOS it won't curl. I modify all my STOS after curling one on a bone hit.

troy

Birmingham, Al

one of us
posted Hide Post
Dtala, if I tanto the tip on the STOS, I end up with nearly the identical shape as the Grizzly. Not a bad thing, but on my heavy arrows I need the tip weight, so I am better off going with the 190 Grizzly than the 160 STOS with some of the tip removed. The Grizzly also gives me more cutting surface.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If it was a Hoyt it would have passed through the other Buff on the far side and still be going ! shocker

Posts: 51 | Location: Buffalo WY | Registered: 06 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A passthrough has not much to do with the bow, as long as it's tuned for perfect arrow flight and the arrow is properly done.

Take the grizzly add a hundred grain steel broadhead adapter and use 50 or 100 grain brass inserts in the arrow. It's all old hat to some people but others might not know how to front load for weight. I used to use weight tubes but I'm convinced that they are counter productive.

Dang what a nice animal!!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
We DO know what the Mathews did. All else is speculation...

Very nice animal

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Hunting For Adventure
posted Hide Post
Here we go again....

Posts: 1161 | Location: Kansas City, Missouri | Registered: 03 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I actually have quite a few photos here of the #1 archery buff and it was killed with a $28 longbow! I also have photos of the exit wounds. The same week a compound(I won't say which brand) with almost exactly twice as much energy could not get an arrow through the ribs(lots of arrows) of a similar body sized bull. The difference was the arrow weight and type of heads. I also have photos of those three blade modular heads(and others) sticking in the outside of ribs.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
loboga, you are correct on the comparison of the STOS and Grizzly weights...

I use a 100gr brass insert, 40+ grain adapter and the 160 STOS for 300gr "head" for deer and hogs.

I would use a 190 Grizzly set up the same way, except I'd use a steel adapter at 100 gr for near 400gr up front.

nice bull....

troy

Birmingham, Al

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Logoba how many lbs. what the longbow?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Monty's longbow was 86#'s.
I started working up buffalo arrows without a lot of the stuff available now. My buff arrows are a 2219 with a 35-55 Goldtip inside and a one piece aluminum adaptor filled with lead and the 190 Grizzly, they are actually the best flying arrows I have ever shot and come in at 970 grains. Quite a few traditional guys have copied them at they worked for all.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
you know, I have been wondering what the next insanity would be and now I am afraid I just might have found it. Heavens that bull is gorgeous. I already shoot a longbow but I don't know about those 900 grain arrows. I am going to have to think on that one. How far do they travel before they nose dive to the earth?

Posts: 29 | Location: Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 30 November 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you make heavy arrows up right, they don't "nosedive", its just a continous arc. Mine have a 12%foc and the spine is right on the money. It is a high tradjectory, but I have put one after another into a paper plate at 35 yards with NO fletching on them. If the conditons are right, you should have no problem getting a 20 yard or less shot at a buffalo and sometimes it may be a LOT closer. A perfect flying HEAVY arrow is the important thing for buffalo, long range shooting is not.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchlambert:
A BR shooting buddy of mine ..was able to get this monster with a bow. They told him if the measurement stands, it will be third on the list. ...
shocker What a HUGE TROPHY!!! tu2

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote