Find
Notify
Tools

3D printed wads and slugs
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted
Here is one. I designed it for 1 oz #9 TSS shot. Will be used in conjunction with FS12 Flex-Seal wad.

3D model:

Printed samples. Material is PETG:

There are also TPS 2 3/4 wads for length comparison.

Posts: 2067 | Location: Czech Republic | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dulltool17
posted Hide Post
Pretty neat!

Do you plan on doing some comparison patterning vs factory loads.

Doug Wilhelmi
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7503 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 15 October 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
Here in Czech Republic, factory TSS ammo is almost unavailable.

But I will pattern it of course and tune the shape of wad.

I want wad for TSS to use without mylar wrap.

Jiri

Posts: 2067 | Location: Czech Republic | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
With 10 gr of buffer:

Jiri

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some people are just brilliantly resourceful!
You seem to be one of them.

Being an old skeet shooter, I appreciate a 1 oz load.... but have even gone to 7/8 oz loads for recoil and economy.

Zeke

one of us
posted Hide Post
For me other cheaper shot gets the job done well out to 40 and a bit past. Killed my tom this year past 40 with lead 5s

TSS is only needed out past that show us 50 60 70 meter patterns.

Other wise it to dang expensive to be used up close

Posts: 19310 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
Purpose of that 1 oz #9 TSS is experimental (3D printed wad - my own design) and could be good low recoil, fast (about 1450 fps) load for combined pheasant/duck hunt up to 60 m.

I just wanted to know what it will do at 30 m with open choke. Because I don't wanna make pheasant hamburger instantly.

Long range load is 3 1/2" with 2 to 2 1/2 oz of #5

Jiri

one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
BTW pellet count in paper is only about 290 out of cca 360 (didn't count shots in load, it is estimated).

But it is with open choke. I redesigned wad too a little, now printing with (maybe) biodegradable PLA filament.

Jiri

one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
This version includes sealing and cushion section. Printed from Flexfill TPU 98A filament (Flexible TPU (thermoplastic polyurethane) with great processability and specific mechanical properties. Available in two grades Shore A 98 & 92, which differ in elasticity. Great for gaskets, stoppers, sealings and more technical and hobby projects.). Printed with 2 perimeters, 10 % infill.

one of us
Picture of MoreBS
posted Hide Post
So, have you shot any Cap Screws? You could always make a lead mold of the screw and shoot lead instead of steel?

Anyway what is the accuracy?

Looks like a fun project.

Get Close and Wack'em Hard

one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
It is fun project. Didn't shot any. Screws are pretty cheap (15 cents) and if you find one in wild boar, you can reuse it ;-)

I designed it to be the same weight as factory slugs I reload and have lab tested loads for (500 grain).

I also tried factory slug resistance in old full choke (what force you need to pass through) and designed my to be lighter on that. Also designed "spring section" of slug to be simillar force and travel as factory one.

I need to print more and try.

I tried to be a little green and print slugs from PLA (biodegradable). It is too stiff and brittle. Flexfill 98A looks perfect, but not "green". But some filaments shrink when printed. So you have to print it, measure and make some corrections.

Will keep you updated here with progress.

Jiri

one of us
Picture of MoreBS
posted Hide Post
Have you thought of shooting round balls with a home made sabot? Your short shot wad is close to holding a ball.

one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MoreBS:
Have you thought of shooting round balls with a home made sabot? Your short shot wad is close to holding a ball.

One ball is too light regardless of lead or steel. I need to make it "choke friendly", so diameter is limited. You need some space for plastics to deform. Shots will rearrange in wad, but ball will not.

On the heavy side, I have recipes for 2 to 2 1/2 oz TSS loads. I tested both. I believe I can transfer to some custom heavy slugs.

Jiri

one of us
Picture of MoreBS
posted Hide Post
Have you checked your rifled wads for rotation?

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
What a great thread. How about a 3D sabot for shooting ice? Freeze water in a sabot that makes a mold with foster slug rifling for twist?

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27589 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
quote:

I hope I will test it this weekend, for speed and accuracy. I don't have any high speed camera to check if it rotates or not.

Jiri

one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boom stick:
What a great thread. How about a 3D sabot for shooting ice? Freeze water in a sabot that makes a mold with foster slug rifling for twist?

I am not sure I understand you clear. On 3D printer, it could not be difficult to 3D print a two piece molds. But ice is brittle, I am not sure it can survive acceleration in barrel in one piece.

Also with high-tech 3D printer and filament, you can print molds for casting lead.

Jiri

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
According to this, the rifling causes spin by friction on the inside of the barrel and not the wind in flight.

https://www.alloutdoor.com/201...slugs-actually-spin/

The idea was to have the ice break on contact after the sabot opened like a flower and the base acting like a shock absorber to keep the ice intact during acceleration. My idea would not work if the air did not cause the spin though. I am sure you could make a propeller like front that could cause spin and not use the sides like vanes. Testing would need to be done. I guess you could use a slug without rifling and file the front to direct the airflow. That is a lot of work though. Ice slugs could be good on small game where you don’t want to use lead and water is cheap. the only pain is having access to a freezer.

Posts: 27589 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MoreBS
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Jiri:
quote:

I hope I will test it this weekend, for speed and accuracy. I don't have any high speed camera to check if it rotates or not.

Jiri

One of the local guys used lip stick and a series of paper targets. He was checking rifled slugs, that did not spin!

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
What about a flechette design?
No spin needed.
Aerodynamic design with stabilizing rear fins?
Some kind of bolt center with perhaps the ability to add weight by adding washers in front?

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
How about a rifled shotgun barrel with printed slugs to match the rifling? Align the loaded round with the rifling and voila! Spin!

One of Us
Picture of Dulltool17
posted Hide Post
This seems to be one of the most creative threads I've seen here in some time.

3d printing capability has now become affordable, so the experiments will proliferate.

Be safe, but let the innovations roll...

Doug Wilhelmi
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7503 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 15 October 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
How about a 3D printed whistle slug that can be used as a signal or to make several all playing different notes so you can play a song on your shotgun? How many want to whistle dixie from their 12 gauge? Big Grin
https://youtu.be/lvmSxfMGldQ

one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
Tried own slugs today. Just tested for function and wood penetration. It goes through 4" wood block. Bolt is almost untouched, plastic part damaged. Will test for accuracy and speed later.

One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
Had a buddy now deceased load round balls in his 12 gauge with a cut down wad just like was suggested. Shot great out of a rifled barrel and killed deer quite dead. Your printed wads would be great. I don’t recall the diameter of the ball. He cast those himself too.

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote