New
Find
Notify
Tools

Making it Feed
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
First step is to open the lower quadrant so a round will slip under the extractor…

The extractor as received is WAY too tight. Relieve until the extractor flexes abut .005...use your judgment here, but the extractor must hold a loaded round to the bolt face.

File or grind a "moon†shape at the upper rear magazine wall to pretty well match up the same plane as the bolt face.

Might as well, grind away a relief on the inside of the bridge to give more room for these fat cases to eject.

Part of the reason rounds will not feed is the vertical wall the bullet noses bump into.

I like to use carbide burrs rather than grinding wheels...less dust and burr keeps it's shape. Note that we're staring to remove some of the upper rail to give rounds room to climb the modified ramp...go slowly here, try and try again to make sure you don’t remove too much metal.

Don't forget the left side. but you'll probably devote most time to the right side...I like to make the top round feel well before trying out the stacked rounds.

Sure enough! The right side of the ring extractor slot is too tight to allow single feeding. In this case, I took a little material off the side of the extractor, but had to end up removing material from the receiver...not an easy spot to work in! Here I spot welded a piece of coarse file to a rod that I can drive with a reciprocating air tool

Here's what things look like afterwards...feeds smoothly fast, slow and in any position (upside down too). Someone send along the round shown...didn't even bother to try and make this feed since the blunt end will not enter the lead anyway. I try to urge dangerous game hunters to use round nose ammo, since this is a part of the whole reliability picture.

Even without ammo, this bolt was pretty cranky and wanted to hang up...about 15 minutes with lapping compound, runs very smooth

I'd like to mention that if any of you guys have more ideas, please join in!

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That was really fascinating Duane. Thanks for sharing those pics.

Will this rifle have timed screws? rotflmo

Posts: 718 | Location: Utah | Registered: 14 September 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
quote:
I try to urge dangerous game hunters to use round nose ammo, since this is a part of the whole reliability picture.

Bullet makers are going the opposite direction by offering an ever greater assortment of bullets with flat meplats.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is this amount of work typically needed to get a GMA to feed? Thanks

Posts: 1284 | Location: N.J | Registered: 16 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Very informing post.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Great topic ... and WONDERFUL post! Thank you very much.

I notice that then I look at a Mark X action done for a standard magnum caliber that they have used a ball mill to open up the rear end of the rails on both sides ... pretty evenly.

Duane, is it your recommendation to start on the right side a fair amount then open the left side to finish it? How do I know then the right side is deep enough? (Going to doing an Argie to the Steyr .376 case soon.)

Thanks again!!!

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
Mr. Wiebe;

Thank you for your time and photos and for shareing your knowledge on these subjects. Like I have said before, "thats why I'm here" and it's great to see these kinds of posts. Another way to skin a cat, a photos makes it all that much easier to follow along...For this ol bas$#*! anyway.

And we get to see how a millionair Smith goes about doing his thing! Wink

Again Thanks!

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ForrestB:
quote:
I try to urge dangerous game hunters to use round nose ammo, since this is a part of the whole reliability picture.

Bullet makers are going the opposite direction by offering an ever greater assortment of bullets with flat meplats.

I know...believe me I know!

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by J_Zola:

Yep! I have a Satterlee action here set up for the 416 Rigby...feeds like ball bearings! right out of the box. This is not to condemn GMA actions...you just gotta be prepared to do some work

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mstarling:
Great topic ... and WONDERFUL post! Thank you very much.

I notice that then I look at a Mark X action done for a standard magnum caliber that they have used a ball mill to open up the rear end of the rails on both sides ... pretty evenly.

Well, I usually work on the R. side first. The follower "acts" different than when rounds are under the one being fed. By the time you get the R. side running, you're "almost there" with the L. side...Would really like other guys to join in on their methods...looking to save time!

Duane, is it your recommendation to start on the right side a fair amount then open the left side to finish it? How do I know then the right side is deep enough? (Going to doing an Argie to the Steyr .376 case soon.)

Thanks again!!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I recently received a follower from Sunny Hills. Instead of a sharp division (in the middle), the high part was more like the rounded shape of a cartridge.

I think this is a great idea and makes a lot of sense

one of us
posted Hide Post
Duane

Excellent and very informative post but you must be a gluten for punishment for opening a can of worms like this.
But -- don't listen to me just keep doing it.
I love your willingness to share and you have the knowledge and talent to back it up.
Thanks

James

Posts: 658 | Location: W.Va | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
James: I'm not into self punishment, but obviously there's a lot of questions and problems with feeding that we can have an in depth seminar. As the topic starter, it's not for me to say "do it this way", but share information so we all can learn

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe:
quote:

Yep! I have a Satterlee action here set up for the 416 Rigby...feeds like ball bearings! right out of the box. This is not to condemn GMA actions...you just gotta be prepared to do some work

Can't wait to see how this one turns out!

Posts: 1361 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Duane

I meant no disrespect by my statement.
I hope it did not come across that way.
Your wealth of knowledge and willingness to share is greatly appreciated by me and many others on this forum.

Thanks again for the post and pictures.

James

Posts: 658 | Location: W.Va | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Duane,

In regards to the flat nose bullets. I am under the impression that the rails need a little step underneath at the neck shoulder junction so when the shoulder contacts it, it pushes the nose out toward center and thereby out of the rails and helps the case up the ramp. Am I wrong in thinking this?

Posts: 321 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 20 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:

File or grind a "moon†shape at the upper rear magazine wall to pretty well match up the same plane as the bolt face.

Duane

I am sure there is something simple that I am missing, but what is the purpose of that moon shaped relief?

Jason

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
I read that you adjusted the right rail first. Did you periodically check the feeding from the left side as you adjusted the right rail? Opening the rails is a balancing act as one affects the other. How do you determine wheather follower adjustment is needed or just the rails or both?

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8343 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
Great photos and wonderful discussion topic!

I also start with the extractor because often times that's all that needs to be adjusted to get a rifle to feed. On ex-military Mausers I then work a little on the follower, usually just putting a slight radius on the top of the divider, and then I start from the bottom up, getting the rifle to feed that last cartridge smoothly first, then the second and on up until a full magazine works.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2933 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
A trick I learned from David Miller and I think was done on some of the last Model 70's was to remove part of the ridge on the follower to allow the LAST round to come up under the extractor quicker. I remove it the same amount basically as I remove from the right rail.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nick Hughes:
Duane,

In regards to the flat nose bullets. I am under the impression that the rails need a little step underneath at the neck shoulder junction so when the shoulder contacts it, it pushes the nose out toward center and thereby out of the rails and helps the case up the ramp. Am I wrong in thinking this?

Hmmm...I understand the sugestion...envision the follower having to be depressed rather abruptly...but I'll sure give it a try...thanks!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JBrown:
quote:

Duane

I am sure there is something simple that I am missing, but what is the purpose of that moon shaped relief?

Upon chaging the magazine, that "moon" shape minimizes tendency for the rear of the cartridge to bump into the top of the rear wall.

Jason

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zimbabwe:
A trick I learned from David Miller and I think was done on some of the last Model 70's was to remove part of the ridge on the follower to allow the LAST round to come up under the extractor quicker. I remove it the same amount basically as I remove from the right rail.

Exactly!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by D Humbarger:
I read that you adjusted the right rail first. Did you periodically check the feeding from the left side as you adjusted the right rail? Opening the rails is a balancing act as one affects the other. How do you determine wheather follower adjustment is needed or just the rails or both?

Yes...it's a good idea to do so.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
D Humbarger: Sorry I overlooked one question...maybe because I don't have the easy answer. Someimes it helps to smear a little spotting compound on the case and run it through. You often can see where maerial needs to be removed.

Remember I mentioned that the Satterlee action fed those 416 Rigby's so well? Customer changed his prioriies and decided to go with a 450 Rigby instead.

A first glance, they look the same, but the shoulder is a little larger in diameter on the 450's...know what? It doesn't feed those at all!

My point is that each cartridge presents it's own special set of problems.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Daune, how many hours to you usually need to put in a GMA action to get it right? Also concerning the right rail. If the cartridge has more taper to the case do you need to remove less of the rail opposed to a straight wall case? Thanks for taking the time to write about this topic.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Time...well, had to get to this eventually...maybe I'm just slow, but I have eight hours even on the 500, did a 404 right afterwards, also a GMA and had 4 1/2 hrs

Now; there's also the "puckerfactor" Screw up a $3500.00 action and there's a big problem...Screw up a 98...well, you CAN replace it with some degree of certainty.....at least until Jan 20th!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Daune, how many hours to you usually need to put in a GMA action to get it right? Also concerning the right rail. If the cartridge has more taper to the case do you need to remove less of the rail opposed to a straight wall case? Thanks for taking the time to write about this topic.

The rail..Well, that's pretty accurate...a lot depends on getting that groove under the exractor lip just after the cartridge nose enters the chamber...this is "controlled round feeding"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looking at the rail on this action I can see the "puckerfactor". I just looked at my Dakota and the rails appears straight for a 30/06 so a little easier on the heart.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I really hate to see this topic fade away. It is very hard to find this kind of info anywhere. How about someone sharing how they open up a standard 98 to feed some of the larger cartridges?
Thanks Duane for sharing your work. It is always first rate.
Steve

Posts: 40 | Location: Brandon, SD | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am with DUane on this, not to imply I do it as well but, I received some phone instruction from Herman Waldron a few years ago on this very thing. I do pretty much the same as Duane but when it comes to the follwer that is the last thing I do. I usually run three rounds in the magazine and work on the right rail until it is fairly smooth then move to the left rail. When this one is done, Iwork on the last round. If this won't feed, it is the follower that needs some work. I know some would disagree with me but it works for me.

When doing a conversion to a magnum, at least on a Mauser and model 70, the underside of the action, under the feedrails, needs to be "straightened out for the fatter shoulder at about a 8 degree angle with a ball end mill in the mill. Do this before the rail work.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5499 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jim: Wonder if you'd mind showing us the fixture you use to open the rails?

One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:

You don't need a fixture. All you need is a milling machine, a milling vise with a swivel base and the appropriate cutter. I can provide pictures.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Westpac:
quote:

You don't need a fixture. All you need is a milling machine, a milling vise with a swivel base and the appropriate cutter. I can provide pictures.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

OK maybe I overcomplicate things...pics would be welcome...thanks Duane

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm sure Duane's client was an Aggie. If it's a .500 Jeffery I would probably want Duane to bless the feeding, extraction and ejection before I faced a buffalo or elephant. It is amazing to begin to appreciate the intricacy of bolt actions, in particular dangerous game or stopping rifles. Duane, was anything special done to accomodate the feeding etc of the .404 Jeffery?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 22WRF:
Maybe I am not understanding something here, but why wouldn't the person who ordered a $3500 action order it for the cartridge he (she) intended to have the finished rifle chambered for?

And, when converting a regular Model 70 to a magnum, wouldn't one just measure the dimensions of a factory Model 70 that was already a magnum and remachine the regular model 70 to those dimensions?

Guess it's up to me to answer this one...The action)s) were ordered for specific cartridge. They came with proper bolt face, proper magazine length. Anything after that is left to the customer or gunsmith...call them "semi set up" I've personally used a number of GMA actions...just the way what it is!

A to the M-70, I think most gunsmiths do just that.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Duane,after you do the feeding work on the actions and they are ready,do you feel there is any action that is better in any way.In other words, do you feel the Cz 550 will work better than the Dakota or the mod 70 or the GMA etc...Do you think there is any advantage in one over the other aside from magazine capacity?

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

OK maybe I overcomplicate things...pics would be welcome...thanks Duane

Don't mean to step on your toes Malm, I think it would be difficult to hold the action in the vise without a fixture of some type.

This is what I use to get at the underside of the action.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5499 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jim: I agree....that fixture you made up is about the same as mine...I've made an elongated hole at the rear guard screw location so I can set the taper...I'd post a photo, but don;t have the help of an 11 year old at the moment