Tools

The Silver-Lining Scholarship Rifle
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by J Bennett:
Forrest

It seems that the butt plate/recoil pad is taken care of.

What type scope mounts is Tom B. going to install? If Talley I will donate a set of rings.

What other parts do you need?

Are their any way that a pictorial history of this rifle being built be done. I think that would be neat piece of history.

James

James

If I am not mistaken, Thomas will be using a set of his uncomparable Scope Rings for the project, and of course, he will be fitting a set of custom bases.

Check with ForrestB, as one thing I have not seen donated yet is a scope. Perhaps one person, or a group of people could get together and purchase a really nice scope such as a swarovski or a German Zeiss or something of comaparable value.

Another thing that is customary in a presentation grade rifle is a custom case. Anybody here have skills to build a Huey style case. Or how about a dontation of a soft case such as a Filson or maybe even a leather one???

Any custom Knife makers out there? Just a thought.

Forrest???

one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
There are so many PM threads going on right now, it might be best if each team had a public thread so others might see what work is being done. I do think there are some discussions that might best be handled on the existing PM threads; but if everyone saw some of planning going on, we'd probably have some more folks jump in and help out.

Our newest team is the PUBLICITY TEAM, 577NitroExpress will coordinate the efforts there. This will be a VERY important team and will have a lot of work to do. Please help these guys in whatever way you can.

Would one of the folks from each team start a seperate public thread here that will keep us posted on the major decisions and ideas being discussed in your private message thread? Someone from the Stock Team needs to be in charge of getting Duane computer literate; you can start by posting the thread for the stock team.

Use this format, so our threads don't get lost:

Scholarship Rife (Publicity) or,
Scholarship Rifle (Barrel) . . .

Keep up the good work, I'm going on vacation. Smiler

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted Hide Post
There is a new thread started for anyone wanting to help (whether it be with ideas, suggestions or comments) with the PUBLICITY aspect of this scholarship project.

The thread can be found here: Scholarship Rifle - Publicity Team

577NitroExpress
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
Yes we need a high qaulity 1" scope suitable for a trim 7X57... I mean 275 Rigby Rimless.

Maybe Mims (Harry) could get Dick Murray to make one of his beautiful leather rifle cases for this project.

You guys offering parts, if I haven't responded yet, its not that I'm not interested. I'm still checking with the craftsmen to see what they want to use. Thanks for your patience. I'll be back to you here or in a PM.

FBB

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
22WRF /Forrest

I agree that a high quality scope is necessary
but I personally think a Zeiss or Swarouski has too large a profile for a trim stalking rifle.
I think a Leupold 3.5X10 is the largest that would look right. Just my personal opinion.
Leupold has been known to DONATE scopes for lesser causes. Wouldn't hurt to ask.

James

Posts: 658 | Location: W.Va | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by J Bennett:
Leupold has been known to DONATE scopes for lesser causes. Wouldn't hurt to ask.
James

Let us know what they say. cheers

one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TC1:
Say it ain't so CRYBABY Not a rip off cartridge, If it's gonna be a 7X57 please name it that. Don't take all the class out of it by calling it a (spit Mad) .275 Rigby.

Terry

With a $1,000 donation, you can decide how it gets lettered. cheers

one of us
posted Hide Post
Duane Wiebe were talking about the project this morning, we agree that this rifle was going to be a light weight stalking type rifle. We thought that a 1.5-5x20mm Leupold might do the trick. Leupold uses some of my work in their catalogs from time to time and I can contact their marketing department and ask for a donation.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Forrest:

If you have photos of the G.33/40 Mauser action that will be used for this project, can you email them to me at hawk_paul@bah.com ?

I want to start compiling information for the publicity of the rifle.

Thanks,

577NitroExpress

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Forrest,

No problem. I will send a check as a donation and that way you can put it towards whatever is needed. There are always small odds and ends. Either way it is going to a good cause.

Posts: 513 | Location: MO | Registered: 14 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mark

Let me know if you contact Leupold. If not I will contact them Monday.
What about the 1.75x6x32?

James

Posts: 658 | Location: W.Va | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
J Bennett,

Consider it a done deal. I also sent Leupold a link to this website so they can following along with our progress.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mark, good to see you did that. I was going to send a letter to Mike Slack. The time they dontated the one for the Ottmar rifle, they wanted a letter. You got it under control.

Forrest, I will get a check in the mail to you tomorrow. You use it for what ever purpose you think is best.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
If anyone on AR owns an internet hosting company, it would be very generous for them to donate a one page internet page so we can advertise this project/raffle/Sheryl's memory. Use it as the source for the eventual raffle, updates on the project, photos, information, etc. That would be an easy thing to advertise.

I lease a webserver. I have plenty of space to host a page or 2 (or more) for a worthy cause. Just drop me an email or pm.

Bill

Posts: 79 | Location: S.C. Pa | Registered: 20 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by banzaibird:
quote:
If anyone on AR owns an internet hosting company, it would be very generous for them to donate a one page internet page so we can advertise this project/raffle/Sheryl's memory. Use it as the source for the eventual raffle, updates on the project, photos, information, etc. That would be an easy thing to advertise.

I lease a webserver. I have plenty of space to host a page or 2 (or more) for a worthy cause. Just drop me an email or pm.

Bill

Thanks Bill, this will come in useful. Get together with 577NitroExpress and you guys can probably get our brochure into an html format relatively easily. Also, be sure to include Glen (Glen71) in your discussions, because the Scholarship Foundation wants to put up a website of it's own. We might be able to handle two tasks at once.

This just keeps getting better and better.

Maybe there's someone here who wants to donate a 5 ton A/C unit? One of mine is going out and I'll need a new one before summer really sets in here. (just thought I'd try to slip that one in).

one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Customstox:
Forrest, I will get a check in the mail to you tomorrow. You use it for what ever purpose you think is best.

Maybe I'll use it for that A/C unit? rotflmo

Seriously, thanks a whole bunch Chic. After hearing your willingness to do just about anything to help build the rifle, we're now reduced to merely accepting your check. I think we all lost out on this one. You've got a big heart my man.

Forrest

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Forest, we have 3 of the most talented smiths and on incredibly gifted engraver available doing this work. Ontop of talented we should add extremely generous. We have the best to do this, we are not missing out on anything.

If you need an A/C, I will send you one of those neckerchiefs with the crystals inside that absorb water and keep your neck cool. Unfortunately, everything above and below your neck is boiling. Smiler

Chic Worthing

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
We received three donations today. Harry, Hogkiller and 577NitroExpress have each come through for us with nice donations that will help get the scholarship rifle built.

This rifle deserves a really nice piece of wood. I have one piece that might work, but I'm not certain. One of our guys is working on securing a wood donation and I hope it works out. If any other of you, has some ideas on getting a donated blank let me know. This is a great opportunity for a wood dealer to get some very favorable exposure.

Our four craftsmen have been busy behind the scenes, making plans and organizing the logistics of the project. This is going to be one special rifle - even better than any of us could have hoped. We're only 72 hours into the project and we've made a lot of progress.

I've had an email exchange with Terry and had a discussion with a local attorney regarding a raffle. A raffle is not out of the question, but the State of Texas does make charities jump through hoops to run a raffle. I guess they don't want any competition for the Texas Lottery which wants to maintain a monopoly on separating the poor and ignorant from their money. It may be that we end up auctioning the rifle, but that is only a fall-back position as far as I'm concerned.

My greatest hope at this point is that the NRA, SCI, DSC or the Houston Safari Club would take an interest in our project and use their PR muscle to put us on the map.

one of us
Picture of ElCaballero
posted Hide Post
Maybe we should take all the parts donated and throw the extras in a box and raffle that too.

As a general rule, people are nuts!
spinksranch.com

Posts: 2094 | Location: Missouri, USA | Registered: 02 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ElCaballero:
Maybe we should take all the parts donated and throw the extras in a box and raffle that too.

We could melt down all the grip caps to build a new car and auction that!

Several of the guys offering parts are instead providing alternate parts or cash. I don't want to commit everyone who has posted multiple offers as an either/or offer to be obliged to give up every part they've mentioned.

That said, if someone wants to organize a group garage sale on the classified forum with the proceeds going to the rifle fund, I'd be all over that. My wife may make her own donation if I were to clean up my reloading room and gun closet. I have a lot of parts and pieces that I could let go and feel really good about the proceeds going to help our project along.

Thanks for the idea, Wes.

FBB

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
A raffle is not out of the question, but the State of Texas does make charities jump through hoops to run a raffle.

What if it was run from a different state who had more leinent laws regarding raffles?

Please don't take that as I know where that is or want to do it. I'm just asking if that's a possibility?

Bill

Posts: 79 | Location: S.C. Pa | Registered: 20 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
post deleted by request

Hog Killer

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill Soverns
posted Hide Post
What Terry said makes a lot of sense.

Posts: 1268 | Location: Newell, SD, USA | Registered: 07 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Don't have any idea what a .275Rigby is

I went onto MidwayUSA's website to get a figure for dies for the .275 Rigby. they didn't list one. I know it is the same as the 7X57 Mauser, and they sell those. Not sure the average person who might win this rifle will know that the two are the same...????

I think that calling it (having the barrel stamped) what the headstamped brass would say would be wise.

But you guys are the experts. I'm supporting this project either way.

577NitroExpress

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TC1:
quote:
Originally posted by Hog Killer:
Guns get raffled in Texas everyday. At DU and QU events, to even at county fairs. They are all fund raising events. So far, I have never heard of anyone getting into any legal truble yet.

The biggest difference with this rifle and the other guns I have seen raffled, will be QUALITY and VALUE.

Hog Killer

That's a great idea. Get with someone at the local Ducks Unlimited chapter in Houston. Every time they get together for drinks they give away a gun.

On the caliber choice, let me try this from a different angle. The idea of building this rifle is to raise as much money for the Sheryl Searcy Scholarship fund, right? Are you sure chambering it in such an obscure caliber is the best way to sell the most tickets? What I mean is most people that hang out on these boards know what a .275Rigby is, but what about the vast majority of the shooting public? How many do you think might not buy a ticket because
A. They don't reload
B. Don't have any idea what a .275Rigby is
C. They did a little research and found out how much 20 empty cases cost for the gun.

OK, I'll let it rest.

Terry

Terry,

You do make a good point...readily available and properly "head stamped" brass is an important consideration. After all this rifle could see Africa one day Wink...

I checked a couple places and could not find 275 Rigby brass available, possibly one of you guy's know where to go???

Posts: 1999 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 23 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
I don't understand, do you not like the 7X57 chambering or merely questioning the wisdom of marking the rifle 275 Rigby? The only purpose in marking it 275 Rigby is to make it easier (or even possible) to take it into countries that prohibit rifles chambered in "military cartridges". We do want this rifle to see the world.

From www.chuckhawks.com

The 7x57 Mauser (.275 Rigby)

By Chuck Hawks

The 7x57 was developed by the famous German firm of Mauser in 1892, and adopted by the Spanish government in 1893. Subsequently, several Latin American countries adopted the 7x57, including Mexico. In Europe, Serbia adopted the cartridge, and it became a popular sporting cartridge all over Europe. In Great Britain the 7x57 became so popular that the John Rigby Company adopted it as the .275 Rigby. Many bolt action rifles built in the UK were so marked. Under both names the cartridge was used extensively for plains and mountain game in Africa and Asia. Ammunition is manufactured and sold in Europe, Africa, North America and most of the world. The 7x57 is a true world-wide cartridge.

W.D.M. Bell, perhaps the most famous of all African commercial ivory hunters, killed the majority of his over 1000 elephants with the 7x57. He used the 175 grain FMJ bullet for brain shots, and liked the .275 Rigby (as he called the 7x57) for its accuracy and low recoil and report.

Current ammunition catalogs from PMC, Remington and Federal show loads for the 7x57 with 140 grain spitzer bullets (SD .248) at a muzzle velocity (MV) of 2,660 fps and muzzle energy (ME) of 2,199 ft. lbs. Winchester loads a 145 grain spitzer to the same MV for a ME of 2279 ft. lbs. Federal and PMC also load 175 grain RN bullets at a MV of 2440 fps and ME of 2315 ft. lbs. These are the standard American low pressure factory loads.

Here are some 7x57 specifications that should be of interest to reloaders: bullet diameter .284", maximum COL 3.065", maximum case length 2.235", MAP 46,000 cup.

There are a wide variety of 7mm bullets available to the reloader, from around 110 grains to 195 grains. Barnes offers a 175 grain RN solid (SD .310) and a 195 grain soft point spitzer bullet (SD .345). The North American shooter who wants to get maximum utility out of a 7x57 really should be a reloader. The 130-140 grain bullets are generally the best choice for CXP2 class game, while the 150-175 grain bullets get the nod for CXP3 class game. Restrict shots at the latter to 200 yards/meters or less.

The 7x57 is a well balanced and well designed cartridge for which a number of medium burning rate rifle powders are appropriate. Among these are H414, H380, H4350, IMR 4064, IMR 4320, IMR 4350, and W760.

The reloader with a strong rifle who loads to about 50,000 cup can do better than most factory loads. Do not use the maximum loads quoted below in the relatively weak Model 93 and 95 Mauser actions, or in Remington rolling block rifles. According to the Speer No. 13 Reloading Manual the Speer 130 grain spitzer bullet (BC .394, SD .230) can be driven to 2649 fps by 46.0 grains of H414 powder, and 2960 fps by a maximum load of 50.0 grains of H414.

The 145 grain Spitzer (BC .457, SD .257) can be driven to 2501 fps by 44.0 grains of H414, and 2748 fps by a maximum load of 48.0 grains of H414.

The 160 grain spitzer (BC .502, SD .284) can be driven to 2,363 fps by 42.0 grains of H414, and 2582 fps by a maximum load of 46.0 grains of the same powder. All of the above loads used Remington cases and CCI 250 primers, and were chronographed in a 22 inch rifle barrel.

Note: A full length article about the 7x57 can be found on the Rifle Cartridge Page.

one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
Running a single-state raffle is not neccessarily a problem. The problem is in running a multi-state, multi-country raffle with broad advertising. Each state has different rules and regulations.

one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think another handy solution for allot of this would be to require all suggestions and critiques on the rifle to be submitted to Forrest in writing and accompanied by a $200.00 check made payable to the foundation. One check for each suggestion or critique submitted!

Rick 0311

That's a terrific idea Rick. You owe us $12,000. clap

Every organization needs a Sergeant at Arms, and you're our man. We're also putting you in charge of keeping the craftsmen on schedule.

one of us
posted Hide Post
7x57 is the most popular cartridge that I either make complete rifle and barreled actions for. I think the powers that be has selected the correct cartridge. I don't know about calling it a .275 Rigby, I think you might loose some ticket sales because people might see it as strange choice for a cartridge. Wonder where they might buy ammo for it. I think calling it a 7x57 is a better idea for the general public.

Oh by the way, Chic take notes for when we sell Ottmars rifle.

one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
Rick, the first I ever heard about this entire rifle building idea was in an email from you. If you're going to charge people $200 for little ideas, then the least you can do is pay $12,000 for giving us THE BIG IDEA!

If the majority of participants have strong objections to labeling the rifle "275 Rigby", it's fine with me to call it a 7X57. We're going to rig the contest so that no one from France could win anyway. Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Forrest, if you can not take a military round into certain countries then the 30/06, .308, 6.5 swede etc, ad nausuem, would also be banned. Personally I think naming it a .257 Rigby would be pretentious at best and other adjectives that we do not even need to get into. I do think the 7X57 aka 7mm Mauser is a great round should be labeled just that. It does have a wonderful appeal to knowledgeable riflemen, yourself included as I think of that full stocked marvel that Duane built for you. This is the last suggestion I will make and sent the check for the suggestion (plus a bit more) yesterday. Smiler

As stated, these guys know what they are doing and need no guidance. I know that Duane and Tom can figure out what do. Dixie will keep Mark in line. Wink BTW this is not another suggestion as I only have half one left.

Chic Worthing

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
We're going to rig the contest so that no one from France could win anyway.

Now I support that decision 100%!

577NitroExpress

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am so happy to be a part of this project, although my contribution is just financial. I wish I had some special talent to contribute.

It is inspiring to see all these great craftsment come together to produce a truely "one of a kind rifle" for such a special cause. Gentlemen, my hat is off to you!!!

To all you organizers, you guy's are doing a bang up job which we can all appreciate!!! ForrestB, no one could do this better...we are all behind you!!!

To all you guys and girls on the sidelines, this is a project that will make your heart jump...come join us for the ride, it will be fun to watch this all come together!!! A special rifle for the benefit of teachers and young people...can't get much better than that!!!!

Posts: 1999 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 23 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've been in contact with both Tom and Duane over the past several days and I think we all have a feeling for each others work. I ordered the barrel blank last week from Lilja and they will rush a barrel blank through their manufacturing process and have it to me in 4 to 6 weeks. Tom will begin to do his work on the G33/40 and somewhere along the way we will send it out to be reheat threated.

Once I start the work on the barrel blank, I want to take digital photos and post them here on AR. Perhaps ypou all can see this project come to life.

one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rick 0311:
Obviously, a rifle can only use a certain number of parts and can only have a certain number of people do the work...but everyone can contribute whatever they can afford to Sheryl’s scholarship fund.

This is a generous bunch on AR and whether you have a direct hand in the building of the rifle or you just give a donation to the scholarship fund the outcome and benefit for Sheryl’s memory and the kids she loved will be the same.

Let’s all strive to keep in mind what this is for, and not get bent out of shape if our particular part or service doesn’t end up being used.

This is the very best post on the thread and I just wanted to bring it back to the surface. It's the one I come back to, when I get a little frustrated.

You've all accomplished a tremendous amount in a short period of time. I can't wait to see what the coming week brings.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Forrest,

Lois and I are taking a drive north in June. No worries on the metal end of things.

This fall we will try and get over to Chic's place before he puts that lock on the refrigerator.

After the chemotherapy we are coming down your way for some turkey shooting and pig sticking (if you have a fenced property I will neuter some of the boars for you - give them a year before you bay them and kill 'em. Man that makes good eating). Don't bother with a lock on the fridge, I'm bringing my breaching shotgun.

We can always raffle the rifle up here in Idaho. We don't have many regulations, and no one pays them no mind anyway.

LD

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
Forrest, since I take the side calling it .275 Rigby, I think the observations about having properly stamped brass have to be addressed. Is there some way we can get maybe 200 cases made with the correct headstamp to go with the rifle? As for raffle time, I think it can be called 7 X 57 / .275 Rigby so that it is obvious that one is also the other and not discourage any participants. Using the "Karamojo Bell" legend to market it might even be a good idea.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Forrest/Nitro:

I can take care of the website. I am Glen's son-in-law and am currently designing the scholarship's website as well. I know absolutely nothing about building custom guns, so I’ll need some help with the content (to begin with, how about a very short biography of each of the major gunsmiths involved). I can keep it up to date with pictures so everyone can watch the progress.

On a side note, Sheryl was an amazing mother-in-law and I am truly grateful to those of you who are donating time, money and parts to help continue her legacy. This effort has meant so much to my family and I thank everyone involved again.

Eric

one of us
posted Hide Post
Eric,

If you go to my web site you can get my information there, the site is www.gunmaker.net

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Eric:

Email me at hawk_paul@bah.com and let's chat.

Paul

577NitroExpress