The Silver-Lining Scholarship Rifle
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe:
...I'd like to help out by building the rifle for you guys if Glen would like.
Duane, having admired your work for years I am humbled by your offer to participate, and I accept!

Duane your generosity leaves me speechless.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted Hide Post
Forrest:

A check went out in the mail to you today.

Hopefully you'll get it by Monday.

577NitroExpress
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 22WRF:
Forrest

Okay, we need an update. I see we have at least 4 (and probably more) very accomplished gunmakers who have donated their time and expertise to the project.
that is really wonderful. My concern is that these fellows may have a preference for making their own parts or for certain parts, depending on what part of the gun they do.

I am sure that you and Glen will come up with the exact design that you want the rifle built, but I wonder if you would just go ahead and post that photo of your three G.33/40s sitting there together. Seems to me one of those designs would be perfect for this project. I don't recall any one of them having heavy metal on them (quarter rib), but maybe one did. I think, as been often stated on this forum, that the Mannlicher styled rifle you have is just about as good as it can get for a lightweight G.33/40 custom Mauser hunting Rifle, although those two other rifles aren't but a smidgeon behind!!

I can understand how people can attach themselves to projects, but, in fairness to all involved, considering the volume of support, and, the fact that it hasn't yet been 24 hours since Forrest began this topic, I say give them some room and time to breath. They will figure things out. They don't need someone directing traffic. Updates will come when they are warranted. Please, back off, support them, but don't nag them, or, get in the way. They are quite capable of getting things done.

Posts: 1374 | Registered: 06 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
Forrest:

I suspect that we can get Charles Lee to give us a break on the engraving, and since my wife and mom are both teachers, I appreciate how hard teachers work and how much they care. Put me down for $100.00 towards engraving.

Dave

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3816 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Glen,
I'm so sorry to hear about your loss.

Forrest,
Unfortunately, I have nothing that would be fit to contribute to this fine project, but I will be happy to make a donation to cover some of the costs.

Posts: 1508 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
Glen,

I am very sorry to hear about your loss. Hearing so many good things about your wife, it must be profound. Condolences, sir.

I would like to help with the project in any way you and Forrest see fit...Roger

Roger Kehr
Kehr Engraving Company
(360)456-0831

Posts: 1631 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Glen,

My prayers go out to you. Your wife sounds like she was one in a million.

Posts: 513 | Location: MO | Registered: 14 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Obviously, a rifle can only use a certain number of parts and can only have a certain number of people do the work...but everyone can contribute whatever they can afford to Sheryl’s scholarship fund.

This is a generous bunch on AR and whether you have a direct hand in the building of the rifle or you just give a donation to the scholarship fund the outcome and benefit for Sheryl’s memory and the kids she loved will be the same.

Let’s all strive to keep in mind what this is for, and not get bent out of shape if our particular part or service doesn’t end up being used.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 54JNoll:
Forrest,

Do you want me to order the Fisher Grip Cap or send a check for the part plus shipping? Either way works for me.

Posts: 513 | Location: MO | Registered: 14 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Forrest: I will help with some of the start up capital. Please know that I will be on another planet until 5/12/06.
MM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Please know that I will be on another planet until 5/12/06

What planet is that???

577NitroExpress

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 577NitroExpress:
What planet is that???

It's whatever planet he goes to in order to earn the money that enables Mufasa to give us the largest single contribution to date.

THANK YOU, MUFASA!!

Every contribution counts and I appreciate them all, but a few of you guys are making my job really easy.

I'll be back with the project details in a few minutes.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Forrest,

I sent you a PM and will be sending you a contribution. I know you will keep us all well informed with updates...rest assured, we will be waiting with baited breath, for each and every one!

It is truely magnificent to see all these talented craftsmen provide or offer up their services and better yet, all the hopes that come with a project such as this...

Like many here I have been moved by how Sheryl touched so many young people. I regret not having the opportunity of meeting her...

Glen, thanks for sharing even more about Sheryl with all of us!!

Best regards,

Posts: 1999 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 23 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
Drum roll please...
Now for the long-awaited update:

It's been a busy 24 hours. The contributions made and the options offered have been tremendous. I'd like to open my PM account and email account to you all, so you guys could read all of the correspondence. As Rick pointed out, it's going to be impossible for us to use all of the individual parts or services offered. What we are going to do is build a best-quality custom rifle in the shortest period of time anyone has ever known. The goal is to have a finished rifle and hold the raffle by year-end. Each year the Gunmaker's Guild builds a rifle like the one we're planning, but they start the project three years in advance. Sheryl's passing has taught me that life is short; so I'm not waiting around for 2-3 years to get this project to the finish line.

The rifle will be a 7X57 on a G.33/40 action with Jerry Fisher's round action bottom metal. It's going to be of a trim stalking-rifle design.

Mark Stratton is going to build an octagon/round barrel with a quarter rib and banded sights and sling swivel. We'll use a single standing, two folding sight base dovetailed into the quarter rib.

Tom Burgess (systeme98) will do the action work and scope mounts on the G.33/40. Jerry Fisher is giving us his bottom metal and trap-door grip cap. We'll use a Blackburn trigger that will fit the guard bow nicely.

Duane Wiebe will assemble, stock and blue the rifle for us.

Roger Kehr will engrave and letter the rifle for us.

Wiebe and Burgess have been in the gunmaking business for a combined 75 years (they're probably fibbing, it's got to be longer) but they've never built a complete rifle together. Certainly this will be the first ever Burgess/Stratton/Wiebe rifle. I just may steal it prior to the raffle.

Wiebe, Stratton and Kehr live within 80 miles of one another. This close proximity will go a long way's towards helping our schedule. Once they have the action from Burgess, our parts will never have to see a UPS or FedEx truck.

Where possible, we've traded up for the best possible parts and in other cases we're using the best possible parts available that will keep our project on schedule.

An example is the barrel. We were offered a Shilen and a Krieger barrel and both are fine barrels and I'd be happy to use either one. Stratton has checked delivery times on barrels and has chosen to use a Lilja - a top quality barrel available with the shortest lead time. Another example is the grip cap; we've batted around and I've accepted at least two offers. This afternoon I found out that Jerry Fisher wants to give us one of his trap door grip caps. Well you just don't say no to a legend like Jerry, so we'll use his TD grip cap and I hope 54JNoll and tiggertate will give us some cash or another part instead (hint: we'll need one cross-bolt for the stock).

I've sort of identified five teams:

BARREL TEAM
Mark Stratton
elcaballero
lawndart
rick0311
butchlambert

ACTION TEAM
Tom Burgess
jeffeosso
ramrod 340
22 WRF

STOCK TEAM
Duane Wiebe
54JNoll
tiggertate

ENGRAVING TEAM
Roger Kehr
loud-n-boomer

and the real skill players...
THE MONEY TEAM
TC1
fla3006
577 Nitro Express
Digital Dan
jjs
DPhillips
mufasa
Harry Hunter
Several anonymous donors

This is a fantasy rifle league; so if any of you want to trade teams or join multiple teams, have at it. Just keep us posted as to where your interests lie. Most importantly, it's time for all of you standing on the sidelines to join a team and have some fun.

I do have to share one final thought. When we did the 500 Jeffery raffle, I was able to meet several enthusiastic lurkers who really helped us out. This time I've met a few others. Two individuals stand out. Each of these two gentlemen is a custom rifle enthusiast, read AR but have never posted. Each of them is giving us an upfront cash donation of $500. AR is an even bigger place than we realize at times.

A huge group-hug is owed to Mark, Tom, Duane and Roger. Thank you all.

OK, it's now open mic time for anyone who wants to offer hope, praise or criticism...

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
One more thing: I'm changing the title of the thread because I feel the dark clouds lifting - we just got another $500 donation. We may need to go look at some high-dollar wood. Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Forrest

I think the hugest group hug is owed to you!!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Forrest,

Let me know what you'd like in the way of the crosssbolt and I'll get it on the way.

Craig

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scrollcutter:
Glen,

I am very sorry to hear about your loss. Hearing so many good things about your wife, it must be profound. Condolences, sir.

I would like to help with the project in any way you and Forrest see fit...Roger

I was thinking about engraving themes for the rifle. The preferences voiced here seemed to be for something not too ostentatious, and I'm in agreement with that (it also agrees with our budget!). The "silver lining" theme stikes a chord with me. Give some thougth to doing a little silver or white gold wire work or inlay that doesn't look too ornate, but still carries the theme.

Maybe Sheryl had a favorite flower or foliage that could be the theme if it lends itself to your engraving style.

Dave (loud-n-boomer) has an eye for good engraving, maybe you two should swap some ideas between yourselves and include Glen. I'm happy to stay out of the way. Come back and tease us with your concepts.

One of Us
Picture of bulldog563
posted Hide Post
Glen,

You have my deepest condolences for your loss. We have not met but based on what others have said about I have no doubt as to your character. I am sure that your Sheryl was a very special woman and would be honored to help with this project.

Forrest and the gang,

When things like this happen you really see the quality of people around you. I am proud to be a member of this hunting/shooting brotherhood.

Posts: 2153 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 23 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My goodness, Forrest. You have managed to pull together a dream team of gunmakers for such a worthy cause. You do have a heart of gold.

Whomever ends up with this rifle, will certainly have an unbelievable rifle.

Posts: 1508 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
Forrest, just made out a check to help. It will go to the P.O. today.

Hog Killer

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure about this group hug thing. I thought that hunters were supposed to be cold hearted and steely eyed Wink! Oh well, I guess we don't fit the stereotype, which is a good thing.

As to the engraving, since I will be working with Roger, I would like to work the educator theme into the engraving as well. If Sheryl was like all of the other good teachers I've been around, teaching was a passion for her. Two symbols that strike me with regards to teachers are a heart and a hand.

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3816 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This looks to be a great project, and to get the ball rolling, would the guys on my team send me their email addresses. We might as well talk about the project, and I can tell you about the barrel plans. My email address is www.octbarrel@aol.com.

One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
Forrest, very impressive networking on your part, and good calibre selection, although I suggest the barrel be engraved ".275 Rigby Rimless". That way the rifle can transit through Europe if ever it needs to. Also has a good ring to it.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
a quick how to on setting up a private messaging GROUP

click on the member's name
click "add <name> to my Buddies"
repeat until you have everyone you would like. This can be more than what you need at this second, btw.

Next, Click
"Go"
"My Space"
"Private Messaging"

Then you should see, on the left hand side, slightly down
"New Private Message"

This will let you choose your Private Topic Members. Remember to click "ADD" to add several members, and then "Invite members"

Jeffe

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38462 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Forrest,

The check is in the mail...let me know when you receive...

Posts: 1999 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 23 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Forrest

I do not see a butt plate mentioned.
I have a Biesen un-checkered, trap door butt plate that I will donate if you want to
use it.

James

Posts: 658 | Location: W.Va | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen:

I am humbled to be in your presence. To see the out pouring from each and everyone is amazing.

I will second the thought about getting an AMAZING piece of wood for this project.

Also, I will put out something for the group to think about: the actual raffle of this firearm.

The purpose of this rifle is to raise AS MUCH money as possible for the Sheryl Searcy Memorial Fund. If it is possible, I would try to speak with SCI, DSC, NRA, etc., etc. and see if they would donate a table at their conventions where this rifle could be on display and raffle tickets sold.

If this is worthwhile, I would like to volunteer my time to set-up a committee whose focus will be on develop a raffle strategy for this rifle.

If anyone wants to write me directly, you can email me at hawk_paul@bah.com

Just a thought.

577NitroExpress

one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
This rifle may end up in the hands of a woman or kid and I think a pad might be a little more functional. It could be leather covered if we wanted to dress it up a bit.

one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 577NitroExpress:

Also, I will put out something for the group to think about: the actual raffle of this firearm.

The purpose of this rifle is to raise AS MUCH money as possible for the Sheryl Searcy Memorial Fund. If it is possible, I would try to speak with SCI, DSC, NRA, etc., etc. and see if they would donate a table at their conventions where this rifle could be on display and raffle tickets sold.

If this is worthwhile, I would like to volunteer my time to set-up a committee whose focus will be on develop a raffle strategy for this rifle.

If anyone wants to write me directly, you can email me at hawk_paul@bah.com

Just a thought.

Paul, you're hired, and I'll split my pay with you.

For everyone else, Paul (577NitroExpress) was a very early, very generous cash contributor to this project. I'm glad to know he will invest his time as well as his money in this endeavor.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Forrest, thanks for the opportunity for employment, but you can keep my half of pay. Smiler

My mother was an educator in her life, but not the type that taught people how to read and write. She owned a successful dance studio and she loved to teach little children (ages 3 to 5) how to tap dance. It was what she loved to do. She passed away way too young, on her 40th birthday, 11 years ago. This thread struck a cord with me and I want to do whatever I can to help.

Sorry for the brief tangent.

So, if anyone would like to speak with me off thread about the raffle of this soon to be beautiful firearm, I would welcome you to PM me.

577NitroExpress

one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rick 0311:
I believe the idea is to cut the “overhead†to the bare minimum so that 100% of the proceeds go to the scholarship fund.

Actually the idea is to get a huge boatload of early cash donations that will pay for the nicest possible rifle, then advertise it widely so that we can raise an enormous sum of money for the Scholarship Fund.

So far, that's just what's happening. I just wish our cash boat was even bigger. Even with our craftsmen working for token wages, it's expensive to build this kind of rifle - as if you guys didn't know that already.

We keep talking about building a rifle, but what we're really trying to do is build a TEACHER. Now THAT is super expensive, but our kids will get the pay-off. We need a healthy up-front investment in order to reap a huge payday when the raffle tickets are sold.

one of us
Picture of Bill Soverns
posted Hide Post
Forrest,

If a leather pad is decided upon I would be happy to do the job.

Posts: 1268 | Location: Newell, SD, USA | Registered: 07 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The NRA Convention is the 19-21 of this month in Milwaukee. I have a booth and would be glad to pass out a flyer of some kind. Time is short because I'm leaving on the 16th. Maybe someone with some graphic talent could whip something up.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Okay, at least something I can offer.

How about a Griffin and Howe recoil pad?

Red.

flaco

One of Us
Picture of Tembo
posted Hide Post
Glen, My condolences on your loss. As to the generousity of the AR posters who are undertaking this project, you are truly gentlemen of the highest order. For all the bickering and argueing that sometimes takes place on these forums, it is wonderful to see something like this come together. You are all class acts! Well Done.

Posts: 2596 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Forrest

It seems that the butt plate/recoil pad is taken care of.

What type scope mounts is Tom B. going to install? If Talley I will donate a set of rings.

What other parts do you need?

Are their any way that a pictorial history of this rifle being built be done. I think that would be neat piece of history.

James

Posts: 658 | Location: W.Va | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mark_Stratton:
The NRA Convention is the 19-21 of this month in Milwaukee. I have a booth and would be glad to pass out a flyer of some kind. Time is short because I'm leaving on the 16th. Maybe someone with some graphic talent could whip something up.

Z1R, has some ideas about this as well. Maybe the two of you could trade ideas with 577NitroExpress and come up with something.

It wouldn't have to be complicated. I could probably get some high quality, work-in-progress custom gun photos to add some color and catch the eye of readers. We should stress, the "guns and schools" connotation as well as the "building a teacher by building a rifle" concepts.

This should really appeal to someone in the NRA's publicity unit - if we can just get it in front of the right person. If we could get the NRA behind this, we could really sell some raffle tickets.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
This should really appeal to someone in the NRA's publicity unit - if we can just get it in front of the right person. If we could get the NRA behind this, we could really sell some raffle tickets.

Guys, I live in Fairfax County, Virginia - yes, the same Fairfax County, VA where the NRA HQ is located. Big Grin

I will do what is needed.

577NitroExpress

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm also a current five year member of the NRA. It would be my pleasure to be the squeaky wheel about this project.

I will be in touch, Forrest. I have a number of ideas that I want to flush out in my head before putting words in a post or email. I will be in-touch.

If anyone on AR owns an internet hosting company, it would be very generous for them to donate a one page internet page so we can advertise this project/raffle/Sheryl's memory. Use it as the source for the eventual raffle, updates on the project, photos, information, etc. That would be an easy thing to advertise.

577NitroExpress