THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LEVER ACTION RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Lever Action Rifles    I was wrong about the 1895 26”octagonal CB
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I was wrong about the 1895 26”octagonal CB
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted
I recently handles a 1990s era 1895 CB in 45-70. I thought I would hate the long barrel and weight but I fell in love. I also liked the sights that could get quite accurate results. The extra sight radius and stability of the long gun was a revelation.

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27596 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
Yes they do handle nice don’t they. To me at least they seem lighter in the hand then what the scale says they are.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2796 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I went through a short barrel phase.

I prefer longer barrels.

Posts: 19365 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boom stick:
I recently handles a 1990s era 1895 CB in 45-70. I thought I would hate the long barrel and weight but I fell in love. I also liked the sights that could get quite accurate results. The extra sight radius and stability of the long gun was a revelation.

It is a very light barrel with not much exta meat. I have always preferred the longer barrel, the gun settles better for me to sight.

Posts: 5699 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by buckeyeshooter:
quote:

It is a very light barrel with not much exta meat. I have always preferred the longer barrel, the gun settles better for me to sight.

I felt that immediately

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27596 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I really like the 22" barrel 45-70 gun for general packing around and fishing in bear country for instance, Mine is a Marlin mod 95 someone said 1979..If I have anything about it that I could do without it would be its recoil with a top load is basically horrendous plus!! in the 458 Win class, but I get by with it, and shooting it makes my 348 Win a pleasure to shoot, so thats a plus.

I always liked my 1886 28" barrel original 45-90 ,but it was rare and price went out of sight on special order guns so I let it go, a mistake butit is what it is!!

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
They are great. I picked one up 2 years ago. There was a member on here named (wade?) that did a little bit of hunting with his before he sold it.

For the length and weight, they handle really well. I need to chrono it and my 1895 Guide gun and see how they do. More importantly...need to get them out hunting

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
Yep. when shopping for a serious lever action years ago, it came down to the Marlin Cowboy and THE WINCHESTER 1886 45-90- BOTH FULL OCTAGON BARRELS.
THE 1886 WON OUT AND HAS BEEN GREAT:

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crshelton:
Yep. when shopping for a serious lever action years ago, it came down to the Marlin Cowboy and THE WINCHESTER 1886 45-90- BOTH FULL OCTAGON BARRELS.
THE 1886 WON OUT AND HAS BEEN GREAT:
Nothing wrong with the 86. I have a couple of them also. The marlin cowboy is at least 2 pounds lighter to walk around with though. Yes, the recoil is heavier because of the lighter weight.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Barrel length from 20 inches to 26 inches was less than 50FPS with all loads I ichronographed some years ago in factory and handloads..I also felt like a fat short barrel balanced as well in a win 71 as tapered 24 inch barrel, at the time anyway..MY custom 45-90 28 inch oct. barrel 1886 was heavy, but deadly on running shots at game, balance was awesome, but got heavy before supper time and tended to break out car and pickup windows! BOOM

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had an 1886 in 50-110 at one time with a 30" barrel and full-length mag tube. Muzzle heavy with a gull magazine, but a fun gun.

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
I had one of the Cowboys some years back, and that model really does feel lighter in the hands than it should. I still prefer the Classic with its heavier 22-inch barrel.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16371 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My 45-70 CB feels lighter than it really is and carry’s well. It’s slim to grip the receiver and the long barrel gives me confidence in making my shots. I do shoot cast loads only and they aren’t max loads.

Shoot Safe,
Mike

NRA Endowment Member
www.Marionroad.com
www.mausercentral.net

Posts: 944 | Location: Middle Georgia | Registered: 06 February 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
I had an 1886 in 50-110 at one time with a 30" barrel and full-length mag tube. Muzzle heavy with a gull magazine, but a fun gun.

I have an 86 in 50-110 with a 32 inch barrel. I use it for long range side matches in Cowboy Action Shooting. The advantages are 9+1 capacity, very steady sights and long sighting radius and low recoil due to heavy weight.

one of us
Picture of asdf
posted Hide Post
quote:
I recently handled a 1990s era 1895 CB in 45-70. I thought I would hate the long barrel and weight...

I handled a late Remlin in that configuration, and it too had an excellent balance. The barrel is remarkably thin. They advertised 7 lb, and I can believe it. I wish they'd put such barrels on the 1894s.

Posts: 977 | Location: U.S.A. | Registered: 01 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ive owned a couple of 1886s in my day and huntedwith them a lot..My favorite was a mint 26" 45-90 hands down, shot deer elk and bear with it, won a truck load of hams, bacon and turkeys with it. Guy offered me $150. for it so had to sell it for that kind of money..

When I was about 15 I went with my dad to sell our cattle in El Paso at the stock yards where my grandads brother was manager as I recall..While they talked I mosed around to an open walk in safe, stacks of win rifles in wood boxes one was open in celsor in a wood box..Dad yelled get out of there and wilbur said whatcha doing, I told him and he said pick one out and take it home with you, the 86 45-70 new in box went home without the box, damn box would be worth a grand today..I later sold that gun for a pitence as I recall, but old winchesters were cheap back then and money was scarce as hens teeth..The last one I sold was $4500 to a vet in Texas and it was a minty one that I bought for $1200. a long time back..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120