Find
Notify
Tools

1895 .405 question for dpcd
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted

In order to install a sling on my "shooter" 1895 .405, how would you install the front (on barrel or wood) swivel connection?
I have tried the Uncle Mike clmp-on, but it always comes loose.
I have seen 1895s with soldered on full ring swivel connections but saw no way to install one without removing the front sight.
If that is the way to go, would it change the sight settings?

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Lucky I saw this;
Barrel band is most secure.
Soldered on, ok.
Dovetailed in; fine.
In the wood; very bad.
No it won't change sight settings.
I forgot how the front sight is held on these. Mine has a custom Douglas barrel with a soldered on sight ramp.

Posts: 17106 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crshelton:

In order to install a sling on my "shooter" 1895 .405, how would you install the front (on barrel or wood) swivel connection?
I have tried the Uncle Mike clmp-on, but it always comes loose.
I have seen 1895s with soldered on full ring swivel connections but saw no way to install one without removing the front sight.
If that is the way to go, would it change the sight settings?

That is one nice looking shooter you got there Smiler

DRSS

Posts: 2277 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
dpcd - thanks.Since this is my Cape Buff gun and frequent shooter, I do not want to do anything that will adversely affect it.

Bill73,
Thanks - picture was taken when rifle was new and before it had been hunted. It now has a few scratches and dents but still shoots great.

DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
If you don't want to remove the front sight (can't remember if they are brazed on, screwed on, or soldered on), you can slot a full ring barrel band so it will slip around the sight base, and then solder that on the barrel. It will hold. Definitely do not put a stud in the fore arm.

One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crshelton:
dpcd - thanks.Since this is my Cape Buff gun and frequent shooter, I do not want to do anything that will adversely affect it.

Bill73,
Thanks - picture was taken when rifle was new and before it had been hunted. It now has a few scratches and dents but still shoots great.

Cr,
This rifle has done a fair amount of shooting as I understand from your posts,including a buff in Africa,has it needed much tweeking? how has it stood upto the heavy 400 gr loads?

DRSS

Posts: 2277 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I suspect it has needed nothing; the 95 is a very strong design. Anything that will work at 270 pressures will handle a 405 even with heavy bullets.

One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
dpcd said
quote:
I suspect it has needed nothing; the 95 is a very strong design.

Amen! To me ,it feels like new.
I have read of folks worrying about the take down feature becoming loose- no sign of that either.

You may remember from my Cape Buff story that a screw loosened in the Williams receiver sight enroute to Africa. That was easily cured and was not a part of the 1895.
It seems to be a solid design made by a respected manufacturer, Miroku. I have other rifles and shotguns made by Miroku and all seem to be top quality.

DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at

One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
dpcd,
Thanks I get the message.
Stay away from the wood and have the barrel band soldered to the barrel.

Thank you.

DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at

One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
Bill 73 sID
quote:
Cr,
This rifle has done a fair amount of shooting as I understand from your posts,including a buff in Africa,has it needed much tweeking? how has it stood up to the heavy 400 gr loads?

Thinking back, most of the shooting was done at the bench rest or practicing for a hunt. Now that my hand loads are proven I no longer shoot from the bench or use the lead sled (400 grain loads only).
Hunting? In Africa, two 400 grainers into the buff AND ONE 300 GRAINER INTO A WARTHOG.

HERE IN TEXAS, ALL GAME HAS GONE DOWN WITH ONE 300 GRAIN BULLET WITH ONE EXCEPTION; my first Nilgai back when I was shooting left handed due to an eye operation. That Nilgai took one too high in the shoulder, one in the gut which put it down, and one finisher. All were Hornady spire points which must do the double lung shot on Nilgai to be very effective. No bullet issues since I switched to NF and Barnes.

No tweaking so far, check back in 20 years or so. Wink

DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at

one of us
posted Hide Post
dPCD,

I have cut a slot in the top of the ring to pass the front sight ramp, rounded it off or however looks best to you and solder it on, some folks use glass, but a hot barrel will melt glass soooo? to each his own..The other option is solder it to the bottom of the barrel as most German and English sporters are done, this looks exceptionally nice IMO..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I have cut slots in the sling bands as well, and to fit bands that are too small for the barrel OD.

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Original rifles had the front sling eye soldered to the barrel, doveetailed into the barrel or the eye was on the screw that secures the for end.

The last choice si quick and inexpensive but the barrel will be a bit high when on your shoulder. I've had all three styles on '95s in my Winchester years long ago.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
Thanks gents. I will go with the best solution and drop the rifle off with Aaron next time I am down that way. I would like his opinion of my Beretta .45-70 DR anyhow.

DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
dpcd, my gratitude goes to you for making yourself available to answer questions of your experience patriot

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27596 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This post brought back memories. I used to work for a great gunsmith, but he was crotechty, opinionated and not shy in expressing his opinion in rather graphic terms. A guy came into the shop and asked if he could put a sling on a Model 94. He said "why in the hell would you want to do that?" Then he said he wouldn't do it, but after the guy pretty much begged, he said he wouldn't to it but I would. I think I attached the front swivel to a ring around the magazine and put a stud in the buttstock. Didn't take long and I just asked the gunsmith what I should charge him. He wouldn't even talk to him. Thanks for the memory.

Posts: 10008 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
That reminds me of a story that I read in Brownell's "Gunsmith Kinks" book. It seems there was an old fart gunsmith who ruled his customers with an iron fist. He died + his wife who believed in the hereafter had some questions to ask him + set up a seance. The medium said your husband asks for a box of cigars. The woman said, but where will I send them? The medium says You will notice that he didn't ask for matches.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lavaca:
This post brought back memories. I used to work for a great gunsmith, but he was crotechty, opinionated and not shy in expressing his opinion in rather graphic terms. A guy came into the shop and asked if he could put a sling on a Model 94. He said "why in the hell would you want to do that?" Then he said he wouldn't do it, but after the guy pretty much begged, he said he wouldn't to it but I would. I think I attached the front swivel to a ring around the magazine and put a stud in the buttstock. Didn't take long and I just asked the gunsmith what I should charge him. He wouldn't even talk to him. Thanks for the memory.

In other words he was a typical gunsmith back then. Big Grin

I remember watching a customer in a gunshop years back ask about some new gun that had just come out. The owner looked at him and said "what the hell do you want that for"? He refused to even talk about ordering it.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2796 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Somebody makes a sling that has one sling notch in the rear like most guns, but the front is a continuation of leather to a double loop (half hitch) that goes over the barrel..its quick detactable and you don't mar the gun..The one I have or had, not sure which, was for my double rifle..I really liked it..then I saw one for a shotgun, but would work on a rifle with a leather pocket for the butt and the half hitch for the barrels..It looked pretty neat, just some options Ive seen around..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
All,
I just saw Rays response and then re-read this thread for fun!

Ray, thanks for thge tip- I will check it out.

I have a sling that has loops on both ends that has worked well for some shotguns but not for my levr action 1895.

DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at

one of us
posted Hide Post
The ones Ive seen had a quick detachable option on the rear and a split in the leather front that you twist and slide the barrel, one sling that fits all..NECG or one of those safari companies...

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

one of us
posted Hide Post
this is a late reply but I saw a sling with the loops up front as above, but had a slip on recoil pad on the rear with the sling attached, homemade deal but it sure would work..don't know who made it but suspect it was a custom homemade job the guy at the booth (gunshow) didn't have a clue..It had a quick detachable sling swivel that went thru two holes in a sewed on leather patch sewed by folding the leather over and sewed leaving a hole for the QD swivel arm to go through...Hope Im not confusing you, but when I looked at it I remembered your post..a leather shop or saddle maker could whip one out in a matter of minutes.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120