Find
Notify
Tools

Anchorage Fishing
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Sorry, there is no fishing forum.

Looking for advice on Salmon Fishing from Anchorage, would be the end of June, first part of July.
Can't have more specific dates than that.
We are driving up from Alberta, pulling the travel trailer.

Can you recommend the best areas, best charter trips, fly-out. Any guide companies you would recommend?

All help greatly appreciated!

Posts: 828 | Location: Whitecourt, Alberta | Registered: 10 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Demonical:

Yes, there is a fishing forum. Just look all the way to the bottom under: Nature, Animals, Space And The Sea

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Jason!

Posts: 828 | Location: Whitecourt, Alberta | Registered: 10 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JBrown:
quote:

Yes, there is a fishing forum. Just look all the way to the bottom under: Nature, Animals, Space And The Sea

Jason,

That fishing forum is not well traveled and I would think he may have a better chance posting his question here. Time will tell.

Cheers
Jim

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7594 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Frostbit:
Jason,

That fishing forum is not well traveled and I would think he may have a better chance posting his question here. Time will tell.

Cheers
Jim

I agree. I wasn't trying to be a self appointed moderator, I just wanted to help out.
Smiler

The fishing forum does have some dedicated anglers who may be able to answer his question but might miss it here on this page. He should get more info with it posted both places.
beer

Jason

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tsturm:
quote:

Looking for advice on Salmon Fishing from Anchorage, would be the end of June, first part of July.
Can't have more specific dates than that.
We are driving up from Alberta, pulling the travel trailer.

Can you recommend the best areas, best charter trips, fly-out. Any guide companies you would recommend?

All help greatly appreciated!

Anchorage proper is limited for fishing but lots of fly out stuff. Head south, Whittier has lots of charters, Seward is also fantastic & at the end of the road is Homer. Google the chamber of commerce for the above city's Have fun!! Smiler

Posts: 2351 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Contact Scott King out in Dillingham. He provides camps, boats and expertise on fishing for kings and that time of year is prime for that species on the Nushagak. I've released 35 kings in a day there. It is very good.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12866 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
D:
Welcome to Alaska. I've stayed in Valleyview and Whitecourt many time.
I live a hour's drive north of Palmer and there are many fishing streams and lakes here. However, it is catch and release for many places this way for kings due to low numbers.
I would recommend David Hicks for a pilot. He takes myself and others flight seeing, fishing, and caribou hunting. His site is N2Alaska. If you're in the area lots of lakes for pike, also.

If you decide to come this way, PM me for details if I can be of service.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There is a wealth of information on the Alaska Outdoors Forums. I will second what Mark says about the Nush.

Posts: 1337 | Registered: 17 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What kinda crab cakes do they make up there?

All The Best ...

Posts: 813 | Location: Texas | Registered: 15 October 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MARK H. YOUNG:
Contact Scott King out in Dillingham. He provides camps, boats and expertise on fishing for kings and that time of year is prime for that species on the Nushagak. I've released 35 kings in a day there. It is very good.

Mark

+1

I can vouch for Scott King and the Nushagak. Late June/early July are a great time to head over to Dillingham to fish with Scott. It's a short jump from Anchorage to Dillingham. Scott can put you on kings, reds, dollys and rainbows.

Jason

-Jason Brown

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by MARK H. YOUNG:

Mark

+1

I can vouch for Scott King and the Nushagak. Late June/early July are a great time to head over to Dillingham to fish with Scott. It's a short jump from Anchorage to Dillingham. Scott can put you on kings, reds, dollys and rainbows.

I have fished the Nush as well, and that time of the year it ought to be damn near perfect. There was a guy in Portage Creek (up from the mouth; you can fly in from Dillingham) that would rent boats for a really reasonable cost, but not sure he is in biz anymore - he had a drinking issue.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AnotherAZWriter:

I have fished the Nush as well, and that time of the year it ought to be damn near perfect. There was a guy in Portage Creek (up from the mouth; you can fly in from Dillingham) that would rent boats for a really reasonable cost, but not sure he is in biz anymore

Chris and Leona Carr. They were still there in Portage Creek(population 2) when we were there two years ago. They are a couple of characters. Renee and I really enjoyed meeting them.

Scott would be a solid choice because he could get you right into the fish and offer the flexibility of fishing different areas(the Nush, the chain lakes, etc.)

Jason

-Jason Brown

One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
Ha! I hadn't seen this.

Thanks fellas for the mention and yes it is very good out here and different from the road system or more urban fishing destinations.

"Combat Fishing" isn't something we're aware of. As Mark said there are lots of king salmon to be hooked and killed or released on the Nushagak River. Although the kings seem to have the spotlight and deservedly so, theres a whole bunch of other stuff going on. The kings usually have a goal of something more or less than 100k fish returning to spawn. Thats an in river, past the commercial fishermen goal. Those are fish for us to hook. Big Grin 100k. Recently the chum salmon have returned to the tune of 289k, the reds 618k, silver salmon, 618k, and the pinks, 2,218k. All in the Nushagak drainage.

The Wood River and the series of lakes in the Wood/ Tikchick State park attached to it are another story difficult to fathom. Millions of Reds. Millions of pinks. A drainage filled to capacity year after year it seems with a resource that benefits the bears and trout, grayling, eagles and sport fishermen.

I'm happy to chat anytime regarding fishing with me or otherwise in the area.

https://www.facebook.com/West-...96717/?ref=bookmarks

Posts: 9091 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by AnotherAZWriter:

I have fished the Nush as well, and that time of the year it ought to be damn near perfect. There was a guy in Portage Creek (up from the mouth; you can fly in from Dillingham) that would rent boats for a really reasonable cost, but not sure he is in biz anymore

Chris and Leona Carr. They were still there in Portage Creek(population 2) when we were there two years ago. They are a couple of characters. Renee and I really enjoyed meeting them.

Scott would be a solid choice because he could get you right into the fish and offer the flexibility of fishing different areas(the Nush, the chain lakes, etc.)

Yup, Chris. Was his buddy Tom hanging around? Those two together were a hoot.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry I haven't checked in in a bit. We ended up booking a day fishing on the Kasilof River, with an outfit called Kenai Cowboys.
I also have bought a fishing license the 2 weeks we'll be there, plus a King Salmon tag.
I will try to get in some more fishing, but will be playing it by ear.