Find
Notify
Tools

Dall Sheep 2015 CANCELLATION "SOLD"
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
SOLD

Posts: 1571 | Location: New Mexico Texas Border | Registered: 29 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by COYOTE HUNTER:
Is this the same outfitter?

http://onyourownadventures.com...wthread.php?t=260920

Precisely why I LOVE AR!

One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tendrams:
quote:

Precisely why I LOVE AR!

And the search engine.

Thread #1

Thread 2

Never good when a Trooper investigation is mentioned.

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7594 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
BYE

Posts: 1571 | Location: New Mexico Texas Border | Registered: 29 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
http://www.24hourcampfire.com/...heep_and_Moose_Hunts

I should have googled and researched more before I hunted with Alaskan Trophy Hunters.

If one decides to hunt with this outfit make sure you take

(1) a sat phone
(2) an emergency communication system

The communication in camp is terrible and unsafe.

(3) basic water filtration system and a small plastic bucket - drinking fresh clean Alaskan stream water in a rusted metal bucket is not fun.

(4) stop by Costco in anchorage and carry 2-3 weeks worth of food in a lockable duffle bag. Do not share food with anyone else in camp.

(5) a good small waterproof camera and a smart phone to video document all legal activities - signing of hunting legal documents and transfer forms.

(6) have all legal documents - hunting contracts ect reviewed by legal counsel and notarized.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by elk88101:
We have one health related cancellation for this seasons Dall Sheep hunt.
The person will not be able to do the hunt and has agreed to forfeit his deposit.
So this will be a big discount for some one.
The hunt available in unit 19 west Slope of the Alaska range.
These are 1x1 trophy Dall Sheep hunts.
The hunt is from 20th to the 30th of August.
Black bear are free just have your tags.
The hunt is conducted by Alaska Trophy Hunts master guide Tom Shankster and world renown guide Bob Graham.
Fly to anchorage then Penn Air to McGrath then charter to camp. Or a charter direct from Anchorage
Should leave a few days for weather never know.

The hunt cost
Dall sheep 10 day hunt $10,000 ridiculously low priced most hunts are north of $15,0000

Not included license, tags, tips, and charter flight.
Charter can be arranged prices vary from location.
Web www.tsakhunts.com

Tom Shankster 720-244-8454
akhunts148@aol.com
Larry Kolek 575-791-9840
elk88101@hotmail.com
Email me I have some personal pictures I can send you.

Has Alaskan fish and game and alaskan state troopers completed their investigation and does Alaskan Trophy Hunts have all the legal requirements to sell this hunt ?

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Frostbit:
quote:
quote:

Precisely why I LOVE AR!

And the search engine.

Thread #1

Thread 2

WOW! How is this guy still in business?

Posts: 11975 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Frostbit:
quote:
quote:

Precisely why I LOVE AR!

And the search engine.

Thread #1

Thread 2

Google has some interesting results.

http://www.rokslide.com/forums...Hunting-Horror-Story

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3507 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
TO ALL THAT ARE INTERESTED.
The above attachment is a reference to the same outfitter I am posting for.
I was not present when this incident was to have occurred I had left camp before moose season started. I would whole heartily ask for who may be interested contact Tom personally any person deserves that respect. I would hope you agree better to hear both sides directly from the people involved.
My only comment is I know for a fact that hundreds upon hundreds of hunters have past thru Toms camps and over 30 years of outfitting he must be doing something right. I know the positive comments if posted would out way the negatives hundreds to one.
I know many outfitters that have had some form of negative comments posted on the Internet but are very respectable, reliable and honest businessmen.
I just ask that true discretion is used in evaluating a person or their business activities.
I have been posting here for years and have nothing to hide just like to be honest.
Thanks for you consideration.
Happy hunting 2015
Larry
I do know there was a large group of people representing Orion Productions filming a series Build Alsaka during moose season at Toms camp.

You may not have been there but your grandson was. What did he have to say? What were the state troopers talking to him about?

Posts: 11975 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
quote:
TO ALL THAT ARE INTERESTED.
The above attachment is a reference to the same outfitter I am posting for.
I was not present when this incident was to have occurred I had left camp before moose season started. I would whole heartily ask for who may be interested contact Tom personally any person deserves that respect. I would hope you agree better to hear both sides directly from the people involved.
My only comment is I know for a fact that hundreds upon hundreds of hunters have past thru Toms camps and over 30 years of outfitting he must be doing something right. I know the positive comments if posted would out way the negatives hundreds to one.
I know many outfitters that have had some form of negative comments posted on the Internet but are very respectable, reliable and honest businessmen.
I just ask that true discretion is used in evaluating a person or their business activities.
I have been posting here for years and have nothing to hide just like to be honest.
Thanks for you consideration.
Happy hunting 2015
Larry
I do know there was a large group of people representing Orion Productions filming a series Build Alsaka during moose season at Toms camp.

You may not have been there but your grandson was. What did he have to say? What were the state troopers talking to him about?

I was there when Larry Kolek grandson was there. He is a great hardworking honest kid. He was busting this back working when he was there as were the other people in camp.

The problem is hunting 40 hunters in a camp set up for 10.

I know the young kid wanted out of there when we were leaving. The flight out had Biebs, a hunter from Minnesota who is a vet and myself. We were willing to leave all our gear to make room for the kid. Believe me getting out of camp was very similar to Saigon in 1975. hunters would run to any landing plane to get off. He could not get on the plane as there was not a seatbelt or seat for him.

I told our charter guy to fly back and pick up the packers. I would cover it. I called him from Dallas the next day and he said they had figured a way out.

I am really surprised Larry Kolek is flogging this hunt for Alaskan Trophy Hunters. His grandkid was being set up as a fall guy along with another packer for not recovering a moose. The issue on recovery was moose was shot by a hunter hunting by himself and he killed moose 5-8 miles from camp and did not use a gps. Moose was killed in some very dense forest. The packers got to it 3-5 days later when it was rotten. It had been field dressed but not skinned.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
Cost to advertise on AR $ zero dollars

Number of people who hunt guided hunts on AR every year: several thousand

Total cost of hunts on AR at any one time: Millions of dollars worth

Result when those same hunters reveal problem outfitters: Headaches and dollars saved

Good job gents!

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Wonderful Wyoming:

Result when those same hunters reveal problem outfitters: Headaches and dollars saved

Good job gents!

+1

We spend lots of after tax dollars on a highly discretionary activity. Often hunts are as much as a median family annual income. Unlike expensive fishing boats or high end guns these hunts cannot be resold at a discount.

AR main role for me is vetting hunts and service providers. May at times be a tough place to hang out but AR does help in selecting hunts and providing consumer info.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was on a sheep hunt (unsuccessful) last year with this outfit and I'm returning this year. In fact, I will be in camp the same period as this offered hunt. I'd be happy to share by PM, email or phone my experiences (great, good and bad) last year and what to expect. I can't speak about moose season as I wasn't there and I will leave it to those who were to discuss those hunts.

Regards,

Don

Trust only those who stand to lose as much as you do when things go wrong.

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beretta682E:
quote:
Originally posted by Big Wonderful Wyoming:

Good job gents!

+1

We spend lots of after tax dollars on a highly discretionary activity. Often hunts are as much as a median family annual income. Unlike expensive fishing boats or high end guns these hunts cannot be resold at a discount.

AR main role for me is vetting hunts and service providers. May at times be a tough place to hang out but AR does help in selecting hunts and providing consumer info.

Mike

The information gained from AR is invaluable.

It is the best way to vet an outfitter!

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DonW28:
I was on a sheep hunt (unsuccessful) last year with this outfit and I'm returning this year.

Don,

I'm just curious. You were unsuccessful on a Dall Sheep hunt, which those of us that live in Alaska know is not uncommon, but I suspect you paid for your unsuccessful hunt. So why are you going back with the same folks? Were they that good? Or did you get a discount on your next one because you were unsuccessful on your first?

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bye

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bue

One of Us
posted Hide Post
So, a guy asks a couple of simple questions and you jump his shit like he just committed a crime? Lighten up!

Posts: 259 | Location: Marietta, Georgia | Registered: 04 July 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here is the interesting thing about this .

Some of us personally know people on this hunt. People we know and respect who tell the same exact story. I have met at least one other person who was on this hunt. His story was also consistent.

Now Larry wants us to call someone we do not know who has an agenda, as in protecting himself.

Which is more credible? I think I know the answer.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Larry Kolek either you working with Tom Shankster or you are too clueless to know reality. Neither bodes well for you.

(1) Who is Larry Kolek ?

Why do you use the term "we" and including your number and Tom Shankster's number in the opening thread?

If you are not paid for selling hunts and get a discounted hunts no more than anyone else - what is your interest in flogging this hunt? What is the discounts that Tom Shankster offers? Why don't you state what the discounted amount that your hunts were for?

(2) Call Tom Shankster

Why should anyone call Tom Shankster to get his side of the story? He is a grown man running a business - an ad for his business was put up by Larry Kolek on AR. Serious questions have been raised about his business on Larry Kolek ad thread. He should come and clear up the issues and facts raised. He knows how to use a computer - its his main method of communication in camp. He does not keep a stat phone. The guides on their stat phone call his wife in Colorado who emails him at base camp. I saw him on the internet 8 hours day so I am pretty sure he knows to get online.

(3) Returning Hunters

On the issues of returning hunters at Alaskan Trophy Hunters - Don can address his deal if he wants to. I know that 38 hunters were in camp last year. This was told to me by the Alaskan State Trooper. The camp also had a construction crew to build a cabin and a TV crew to film them.

What was the ratio of guides and packers to hunters ? There were 4 guides and maybe 3 packers according to my count. Can you give an exact number for guides and were they all licensed ?

Part of my story with hunters is camp

My view is that Tom Shankster will sell as many hunts as he can regardless of having the facilities or the guides or packers to carry out the hunts. He has been doing that for a long time. Why you have hundreds and hundreds of hunters. The marginal cost is probably $50 for each additional hunt sold - what he feeds hunters. I am sure he spent $20 in total feeding me over 8-9 days.

The camp is littered with hunters who have no guides and no where to hunt. There was one hunter a taxidermist from Colorado who was in base camp for 30 plus days and never hunted a single day. I was desperate for get out of camp and back to anchorage. A flight came in with three Indonesians - 2 hunters and a observer. The return flight was already booked by the film crew - my chance to escape had gone.

At this time Biebs is hunting at spike camp. Gustav/Goose has escaped back to civilization - he wisely got on the flight I came in on. I wanted to either get to spike camp or Anchorage (preferred Anchorage).

Tom Shankster tells a group of hunters that the Indonesians are high paying clients and they need to get priority over others. At this point I really snap and I tell him I have paid $12,800 for the hunt and I did not come here on charity. It is very clear that I am very upset - if it was Africa (save Zim or Botswana ) I would have walked out and figured a way to get to civilization but I could not in Alaska. I told him you are getting me out of base camp - get me a plane to Anchorage. Same time I emailed Larry Shores and Gustav and Biebs what happen. Larry Shores post something on AR and Tom Shankster knows about in pretty fast. Suddenly Tom Shankster can fly and he flies me to Spike camp. At spike camp the winds are high and we cannot land - we go back to base camp. Next morning we fly to spike camp.

I get to know the Indonesians - we know common acquaintances in Indonesia/Indonesian Special Forces. I later find out their high price Alaskan hunt was being driven less than a mile from base camp just beyond the end of the runway to hunt moose. They never see a moose.

I was glad to get to spike camp. There was much more food in spike camp. I also find out that my hunt for moose in a multiple for one hunt. First Biebs needs to shoot a moose and then I will shoot a moose. If goose has wisely not left it would have been Biebs, then goose then me. There is only one guide on Moose lake. He was Bob Graham and he is awesome. I really did not care about moose hunting as spike camp had ramin noodles for lunch !!!

(4) 2014 Trophies seized by Alaskan Fish and Wildlife

How many trophies from 2014 are seized by Alaskan Fish and Wildlife? I know that some sheep killed were underage and a caribou killed by the Hungarian hunter Bella was also seized. Why do I get letters from Alaskan Fish and Wildlife that no Moose Harvest Report has been filed for the moose I killed.

Has anyone got their trophies from 2014?

(5) Does Alaskan Trophy Hunters and Master Guide Tom Shankster have the legal right to hunt 19c for 2015?

(6) Has Alaskan Fish and Wildlife and Alaskan State Troopers concluded their investigation from 2014?

(7) Hunters hunting without guides

Why did Tom Shankster allow hunters to go and hunt without a guide. I was allowed to go hunt by myself If I wanted too. I walked down to the river bed with a rifle and took some pictures. I know that other hunters went out over night and one for 2 days without a guide. I know a hunter killed a moose without a guide and Larry Kolek grandson was involved in attempts to recover it.

I doubt we will hear anything from Larry Kolek, Alaskan Trophy Hunters or Tom Shankster but this is the tip of the iceberg. Be very careful AR members.

Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have been on three brown bear hunts in Alaska .. The first one was booked from a chap advertising on AR ... we hunted hard ... in early June on the Copper River we had nearly 24 hours of daylight ... a bit of twilight around 2:30 a.m. if I remember correctly .. With high water and everything leafed out .. and bad luck - never even saw a bear of any kind ..

The guide never offered another chance the next year ... unless I paid full retail .. fair enough but I booked with someone else ... also advertising on AR.

At the end of that 2nd trip in early September ... still I had never seen a bear of any kind .. The manager came by and mentioned that I had never even seen a bear ...

Yup !

The other bear hunter had seen at least five (if I remember correctly) and had three chances .. killing his brownie on day 5.

The manager then said that they wanted their hunters to have a good hunt .. and that I could come back the next year - paying only for my food !!!

This was totally unexpected ... but very much appreciated ..

Being a poor business man I did a bit of negotiating and offered him $3,000 ... I figured that it would pay for the guide ... and was more than fair - for me !!!

He agreed and on the second day of hunting .. bear hunting trip # 3 - I got a wonderful brownie ...

Would I hunt with the outfitter ( Mr. Shankster) mentioned in the above articles ???

If the acoustics were bad as I ran over the nearest hill .. it would be ' No!'

Posts: 1535 | Location: Alberta/Namibia | Registered: 29 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
It's not the kill that indicates the quality or satisfaction of a hunt. Gee when will people understand that!
Larry

Larry,

If you directed that at me I would have to say you never read any of my hunt reports.

Jim

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beretta682E:
Larry Kolek either you working with Tom Shankster or you are too clueless to know reality. Neither bodes well for you.

(1) Who is Larry Kolek ?

Why do you use the term "we" and including your number and Tom Shankster's number in the opening thread?

If you are not paid for selling hunts and get a discounted hunts no more than anyone else - what is your interest in flogging this hunt? What is the discounts that Tom Shankster offers? Why don't you state what the discounted amount that your hunts were for?

Yeah, that's tough to figure. I didn't think you were allowed to post hunts here unless you were either the outfitter or the agent.

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3507 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am surprised that LK is pimpin for a guy who turned on his own grandson whose sole problem was being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Where there is smoke......I keep hearing this name Shankster in hunting circles. And it is almost universally bad.

With so many good guys out there why take a chance with a guy who creates so many negative reports? I think I'll pass.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
One has to wonder just how he remains in business? Why don't the authorities do something?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bye

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Larry:

No one has said a bad word about your grandson. Some even made positive comments about him.

Why do you continue to promote Shankster when he tried to make your grandson fall guy? I know I sure as hell would not.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I am reluctantly writing this but the posters that mention my Grandson please retract your posts. He had nothing a all to do with this or of anybody's concern. A little low blow even for AR post hiesters.
I guess people can't read I don't get paid I don't get discounts if you need interpretation on a lower level call me.
Last from me I guess he hundreds of Average guys and celebrities that have had great hunts over the past 30 years never happened or they must be a dreaming they where on at hunt.never could have happened with such an unscrupulous detesting scoundrel like Tom.
Keep drinking the Kool Aid

Larry Kolek - you grandson was a packer when I was in camp.

Your grandson along with another packer were the last people to reach the moose killed by Niles the hunter from Pittsburg, Pa. The Alaskan Game Trooper interviewed him and the other packer in private and electronically recorded the conversation.

Biebs and I were present when Tom Shankster was saying this is all the packers fault. This is the hunter's fault. It is everybody but his fault that the moose was not recovered even though he took payment for the moose hunt and as part of the hunt contract had legal obligation to handle meat and trophy recovery.

Your grandson along with the other tracker were desperate to get out of there. He was willing to get on the plane with us and fly in the cargo bay. Pilot said even if we left gear behind for weight requirements he could not fly as there was not seat belt or seat.

Its not like your grandson was a 4 year old at home. He was in Alaska working as a packer and subject to all the bs that Tom Shanskter was up to.

Did he get paid by Tom Shankster ? When did he get paid ? His is a fact you should know.

You are an unpaid representative for Tom Shankster. You like to go cook in camp. You get discounted hunts you will only discuss on the phone.

You nailed the "unscrupulous detesting scoundrel like Tom" part so lets go there.

Why did Tom Shankster forged the date on my hunting contract ?

I did not have a signed hunting contract with Tom Shankster - I sent a $5k deposit and then wrote him a check for $7800 first day in Camp.

When I came back from spike camp on September 20 (biebs had come in the day before on the 19th). The first thing we do after landing is Tom Shankster drags me into the cabin to go the paper work. All the gear is still on the plane. He said we have to do the hunt contract - I signed it but did not date it. When he mailed me the hunt contract he signed it for 7/15/2014 where I was supposed to sign it. He used my signature but entered 2 months prior date on the contract. Cant be on error on 9/20/2014 to enter 7/15/2014 - nothing in those numbers or dates could cause a error/slip.

The reason he got all festered about the contracts was the Alaska State Trooper was into and out of camp asking questions about a lot of things - hunters, underage sheep, rotten moose and caribou, guides who had not purchased alaskan hunting licenses and how many hunters were hunting and where was paper work.

This gets better.

Later the evening of the September 20th. Tom Shankster, one of his guides, Biebs and I are in the cabin. I am reading some hunting magazine near the wood stove and Tom Shankster is writing on the dinner table. Biebs ask Tom Shankster why he is writing left handed when he is right handed. Tom was flustered says he is ambidextrous and can write with both hands was tired of writing with his right hand. I look over as does everyone else in the room and he is filing out client contracts.

The Alaska State trooper were told about this and all the other violations. If Alaska allows him to operate as a guide there is something seriously wrong with its wildlife enforcement - this is not some third world african country.

No meat harvest report was filed for moose. I get weekly letter from Alaskan Fish and Wildlife. What you get from a crappy outfitter on a $12.8K Alaskan moose hunt.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike - Thanks for bringing this to light. Although you had a bad experience with Tom "The Shyster" Shankster, hopefully you will be the last AR member to hunt with this low life.

Posts: 179 | Location: USA | Registered: 28 September 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by accipiter1:
Mike - Thanks for bringing this to light. Although you had a bad experience with Tom "The Shyster" Shankster, hopefully you will be the last AR member to hunt with this low life.

I did not say anything after the hunt because the Alaskan State Troopers investigation. Everyone who hunted was being contacted. Numerous complaints were filed with state authorities.

I did not say anything till Larry Kolek came on AR and tried to sell a questionable hunt. AR members needed to know the truth.

Tom Shankster and Alaskan Trophy Hunters is hunting excellents blocks but they are all public lands. Anyone can hunt there - you just need to get there.

He is not paying massive concession fees or doing anything for conservation. Taxpayers are doing that.

All he has been doing is running a money making hunt overselling scheme on public lands.

This is American not Zimbabwe - guys like him need to be put out of business - either by government (state troopers) or by educated consumer choice.

The hunting business is full of third rate operators and agents who are still around - Blair, Arnold Payne - if he is still around lets hope at least on AR he is held in the same company as those third rate operators.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bye

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Last from me
Keep drinking the Kool Aid

I guess this was not the last.

Larry you have said that you were not there. How do you know this isn't true? How can you just blow off the state troopers questions hunters/ staff and recording their conversations? Shankster tried to make your grandson a fall guy. How can you continue to defend him? I would have exactly ZERO to do with him if that were me.

With all due respect. I think you are the one drinking the Kool Aid.

I know I am damn glad I didn't go and went to the NWT instead.

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Gee just think this is funny the ones complaining scored there game.

I have no idea what the facts are or are not. That said, the fact quoted above certainly negates any notion that this is just a situation of a client grousing over a failed hunt. If that is not the case, what would be a plausible motivation?

Mike

Posts: 21225 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
quote:

I have no idea what the facts are or are not. That said, the fact quoted above certainly negates any notion that this is just a situation of a client grousing over a failed hunt. If that is not the case, what would be a plausible motivation?

Mine is to warn AR members the hunt being sold is for a shady unethical outfitter who will sell as many hunts as possible, forge legal contracts, conduct unsafe hunts (no communications) and has had serious issues with Alaska wildlife authorities in 2014. Also there is no trophy recovery or meat handling. And I was charged $12.8K so I paid the going rate in Alaska.

We cannot come on AR and say do your due diligence, its the hunt not the outcome ect and not report bad hunts as well regardless of the outcome.

I did not write a full hunt report because of the State Trooper Investigation.

But seeing Larry Kolek trying to sell a very questionable hunt on AR I felt I had to present the truth and facts for what I saw at Larry Shankster's operation.

Caveat Emptor

Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
The crazy thing is, several years ago I was looking into a Dall Sheep hunt. I talked to several guys here in Co. The consensus on Shanster was be very careful or better yet don't hunt with him at all.

As I said. Where there is smoke...

One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
Very interesting that Biebs, who was in camp and generally feels compelled to chime in on all so many threads, has remained silent on this one.....

Deo Vindice,

Don

Sons of Confederate Veterans Black Horse Camp #780

Posts: 1696 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 01 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hmmmmm....wonder if Biebs moose has been shipped yet.....No idea myself. I'm just sayin........

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Mike
Enough is enough
Goose left camp on an issue at home had nothing to do with the hunt.
Also you neglected to tell everyone you and Biebs Harvested Legal Moose. Also that you where late to camp because of weather, you could not get a flight out of anchorage .
And I guess you counted 38 hunters when you where there? Where did they stay" plus a film crew seems a little far fetch .I helped build that camp no way 38 + could stay there.
Guys read between the lines also this is one sided story
Lots of questions but they neglect to give the accusations results.
You ask why I stand with Tom because on like many making comments I have hunted this camp many times I have seen plenty of hunters Be very sucesful many that hunted other places to see no harvest.
Also just coming out with statements that are not true you have no idea of costs to the state and investments made to keep up a camp like this. DO YOU.
As for conservation efforts why don't you contact all the sheep organizations, Tom over 30 years has been affiliated with and count up the untold tens of thousands of dollars donated in like and kind.
To judge a man by this one incident is totally reprehensible. Oh I forgot one important idea: IT'S ON THE INTERNET SO IT HAS TO BE TRUE..

Hunts sold.

38 total hunts were sold. That is what the Alaskan State Trooper told me. How many of those hunts contracts are correct and papers for meat and trophy recovery done is highly questionable.

When I was in camp there were 13-15 hunters in base camp loitering around looking to get to spike camp - another 8-10 in spike camps. There were 5-6 construction crew for the cabin and 5-6 filming crew from Orion. Packers, guide and camp staff and told added up to another 6.

Had 30 people in a crappy cabin you helped build. One stove, no dishes or cups or silverware for more than 10-12 people. No real food remaining. Had sheep/caribou/moose meat, flour, coffee, sugar - I found some ice tea. That was it. I brought two bottles of tabasco.

Most people slept in tents outside - I had a berth in the main cabin and above me was the poor taxidermist from Colorado. He spent 30 days in base camp and never hunted once.

One outhouse and one outdoor shower that got blown over a few times.

There was much more food in spike camp - ramen noodles, swiss miss and a little lemonade power. After Biebs left the last night Bob Graham cooked the only potato and the last onion with the moose steak.

Its pathetic on a $12.8K hunt the high point is finding a $.89 can of campbell soup behind the flour.

Larry Kolek

How many hunts were sold in 2014?

How many guides were there in 2014?

What was success rate on sheep, caribou moose for 2014?

What was recovery on trophies for sheep, caribou and moose?

Did any of the guides or packers get paid for 2014? If they got paid when did they get paid ?

Has the Alaskan State Troopers concluded their investigation ?

Does Alaska Trophy Hunter have the legal right to hunt 19c for 2015?

Why does Tom Shankster who is in base camp not keep a sat phone - why does all communication from spike camp have to flow thru his wife in Colorado?

Larry Kolek can you answer any of these questions !!!!!!

I wrote a hunt report with pictures and an update from camp - they are on this website and you participated in both threads - I have never stated I did not kill a moose. I will say that I doubt I will ever see my trophy.

Why don't you state why you are flogging this hunt - you don't get paid. You claim you get discounted hunts that are no different than others but you will only discuss on the phone your discount.

This is not the first website that you have been called out on

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/...heep_and_Moose_Hunts

It totally my fault I did not read or reference check on Tom Shankster. I learned my lesson.

Caveat Emptor

Mike