Find
Notify
Tools

Remington
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted
Without doubt one of America's finest artists.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9867 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
check your PM's.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I recognize that painting from a book my brother owns, called "Frederic Remington : The Color of Night." Indeed, he was a master, and died too soon. Oddly enough, that painting is actually a night time painting, with a bright moon reflecting off the snow (sand?). You will notice the stars in the sky. Many of the paintings in this book are filled with light, even though they are of night scenes. fairgame, you have good taste.

Posts: 282 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah | Registered: 20 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Oday450
posted Hide Post
For those going to the DSC show, the Amon Carter Museum on Camp Bowie Blvd In Ft Worth has an amazing collection of Western art including Frederic Remington and Charles Russell. It's well worth a trip to see. There are also a couple of good places to eat on Camp Bowie as well - or there was when I lived there.

"Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult."

Posts: 1313 | Location: The People's Republic of Maryland, USA | Registered: 05 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Kimbell Art Museum at 3333 Camp Bowie Boulevard is another National treasure here in Ft. Worth. It's a stones toss from the Amon Cater Museum. With the permanent collection and current Caravaggio exhibit, it's world class.

We in Fort Worth try to keep this all a secret, but we are too proud to be successful at it. Try out the Rail Head BBQ too if you can. Wink

Posts: 2663 | Location: Lone Star State | Registered: 12 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I believe the Sid Richardson Museum in Sundance Square in FW, has one of the finest collection of Remington paintings extant. And, admission is free.

Look at www.sidrichardsonmuseum.org when you have at least an hour to tour it.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Molepolole:
I recognize that painting from a book my brother owns, called "Frederic Remington : The Color of Night." Indeed, he was a master, and died too soon. Oddly enough, that painting is actually a night time painting, with a bright moon reflecting off the snow (sand?). You will notice the stars in the sky. Many of the paintings in this book are filled with light, even though they are of night scenes. fairgame, you have good taste.

When I studied Art for my BA Hons in UK Remington was one artist that I much admired. His compositions are simple but his contrasting use of luminous colour made him one of the greats. He was obviously very passionate about horses. I would very much like to see the originals as I have little idea of the scale of his paintings

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9867 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MOA TACTICAL
posted Hide Post
Some of his and Charlie Russels paintings are 8 to 10 feet wide.

Scale is huge on some.

If your ever in the states the 2 Western Art museums you need to visit are in Jackson Wyoming and Great Falls Montana.

The National Museum of Western Art and the Charlie Russell museum respectivily.

I also recommend the National Firearms Museum in Cody Wyoming.

And since Yellowstone and Grand Teton National Parks sit between Cody and Jackson and Glacier National Park is near Great Falls (relativly speaking) you'll get a good idea of what both painters saw through the topography and splendor that is the Greater Yellowstone and Glacier National Park Ecosystems of the American West.

Posts: 955 | Location: Until I am back North of 60. | Registered: 07 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the "National Firearm Museum" is
The Buffalo Bill Historical Center right here in Cody Wyo.
Remington's studio was moved to this musuem and
assembled in the Whitney Art Gallery wing.
this museum (BBHC)is a collection of 5 major museums under 1 roof.
The Whitney is well represented in Russels,Remingtons,Catland,Rungres and many others.
And you DO have a good tastes in artists and their art.
the tickets are good for 2 days.
You can't see it all in 1

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Remington was good. But I personally believe the Charles M. Russell is the best of the old western artists.

If you ever find yourself in Great Falls, MT you owe to yourself to go to his museum and see a bunch of his originals. Magnificent work from an era that will never be revisited.

Posts: 2940 | Location: Colorado by birth, Navy by choice. | Registered: 26 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Greg Brownlee
posted Hide Post
I'm lucky enough to live in a town where western art exhibits are quite common. We've got two great museums within 10 minutes of my front door with great exhibits all the time.

Gilcrease Museum has some Remington paintings and I've always enjoyed stopping in and seeing them. It's 460 acres of pristine landscape on the edge of Tulsa with one of the finest American art exhibits in the country.

http://gilcrease.utulsa.edu/

I haven't been there in a couple of years, this reminds me I need to stop in this week.

Greg Brownlee
Neal and Brownlee, LLC
Quality Worldwide Big Game Hunts Since 1975
918/299-3580
greg@NealAndBrownlee.com

www.NealAndBrownlee.com

Instagram: @NealAndBrownleeLLC

Hunt reports:

Botswana 2010

Alaska 2011

Bezoar Ibex, Turkey 2012

Mid Asian Ibex, Kyrgyzstan 2014

Posts: 1154 | Location: Tulsa, OK | Registered: 08 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Remington and Russell paintings/sculptures are the Old West at its best! tu2

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
quote:
the "National Firearm Museum" is
The Buffalo Bill Historical Center right here in Cody Wyo.
Remington's studio was moved to this musuem and
assembled in the Whitney Art Gallery wing.
this museum (BBHC)is a collection of 5 major museums under 1 roof.
The Whitney is well represented in Russels,Remingtons,Catland,Rungres and many others.
And you DO have a good tastes in artists and their art.
the tickets are good for 2 days.
You can't see it all in 1

+1!

~Ann

Posts: 19150 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oday450:

For those going to the DSC show, the Amon Carter Museum on Camp Bowie Blvd In Ft Worth has an amazing collection of Western art including Frederic Remington and Charles Russell. It's well worth a trip to see. There are also a couple of good places to eat on Camp Bowie as well - or there was when I lived there.

My girlfriend and I were able to visit the Amon Carter Museum in Ft Worth this past summer (2011), and I second Oday450's remarks.

This museum's collection of Remington and Russell works is outstanding -- I think it's the best collection of this work in the world. It's worth going out of your way to visit.

Other stuff in the Amon Carter Museum is also interesting and well worth viewing.

We ate at a Mexican restaurant somewhere near the museum. I don't remember whether or not the food was outstanding, but I do remember that the decor of the restaurant was memorable.

"How's that whole 'hopey-changey' thing working out for ya?"

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Oday450
posted Hide Post
"The Original" Mexican rest. on Camp Bowie Blvd was one of my favorites. It may well have been the place you went. It wasn't as well known as Joe T Garcia's, a much more famous place, but it was much better IMO.

"Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult."

Posts: 1313 | Location: The People's Republic of Maryland, USA | Registered: 05 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
https://woolaroc.org/pages/museum-and-art
If your ever in my neck of the woods this is a nice one!

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
I did not see this discussion when it came around the first time. Just my perspective, but I prefer Charles Russell's work to Remington's.

Theodore Roosevelt, for whatever his reasons, preferred Remington's work. The biggest difference I see between the two, is that Remington was of the social elite in the east and actuallyu onlyu spent a relatively short time in the west. Charlie Russell, by comparison was a commoner, raised in the west among the cowboys and indians of the period. I believe Russell's work is based more on actual events/life during that time and remington's is somewhat more of a romanticised vision of the west.

Either way, both were great artists and both gave America a real look at the west so many dreamed about.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you're going E or W on I-20, you should consider stopping at the Norton Art Gallery in Shreveport, La. It has a world class collection of Remington's and Russell's plus a .45 Luger and a fair selection of Prudhomme's engraving.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
If I remember correctly, the National Cowboy Hall of Fame in OKC has some Remington and Russell work.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MOA TACTICAL
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flags:
Remington was good. But I personally believe the Charles M. Russell is the best of the old western artists.

If you ever find yourself in Great Falls, MT you owe to yourself to go to his museum and see a bunch of his originals. Magnificent work from an era that will never be revisited.

Exactly, it is to my mind only 2nd as a Western Heritage museum to the National Firearms Museum in Cody.

Posts: 955 | Location: Until I am back North of 60. | Registered: 07 October 2011Reply With Quote