Tools

Mirror Image Stock Duplicating
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DArcy_Echols_Co:
Vol
Please do us all a favor. Take a few pics of the stock that you have now that you want "mirrored"and that will be used as the pattern. A broadside pic of each side of the stock as well as the top side showing the inletting would be great

Then some identical pics of the "mirrored" blank after the procedure. Maybe this will better explain this operation

Better yes, ask the dupiicator to record the procedure and post it on U-tube.

Posts: 2059 | Location: Mpls., MN | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lindy2:
quote:
Originally posted by DArcy_Echols_Co:
Vol
Please do us all a favor. Take a few pics of the stock that you have now that you want "mirrored"and that will be used as the pattern. A broadside pic of each side of the stock as well as the top side showing the inletting would be great

Then some identical pics of the "mirrored" blank after the procedure. Maybe this will better explain this operation

Better yes, ask the dupiicator to record the procedure and post it on U-tube.
YA',, like everyone in business has time to set-up a video camera so the curious that want to "see how it's done" can see, so now they'll know all about it! That is where all of the "interdnet trained" come from!

Posts: 677 | Location: fly over America, also known as Oklahoma | Registered: 02 June 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Funny post!! clap

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Quote {"YA',, like everyone in business has time to set-up a video camera so the curious that want to "see how it's done" can see, so now they'll know all about it! That is where all of the "interdnet trained" come from!"} Quote

I would think it would be time well spent. Shows people his expertise in what he is doing, gains exposure for his business, and possibly gains customers because of it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Seems to me it would attract TROLLS.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5500 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Kobe:
Seems to me it would attract TROLLS.

Yup.

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Most of those cute videos on-line are there to impress those that haven't a clue and don't know what the hell is going on, anyway. The videos=ambulance chasers.

Posts: 677 | Location: fly over America, also known as Oklahoma | Registered: 02 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
From reading this entire thread it appears to me that some extremely talented people had questions about the process. And it is true that every single person living "doesn't have a clue and doesn't know what in the hell is going on anyway" until they learn it from somebody else.

A video would be a good idea. Those that already know everything about it should simply not watch it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I won't, I leave the wood whittling to the experts. They didn't learn on youtube.

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am not saying that the video should be made or posted so that others can learn how to do it. I realize that learning how to operate a stock carving machine and making custom gunstocks takes a lot of time, practice, and effort.

As I previously mentioned, and what I am saying is that the video can make people who are interested in having such work done become aware of all that goes into it so that they realize the effort and skill that is involved. And as mentioned, the person who owns the machine gets exposure for his or her business.
In other words, posting such a video is really more for the benefit of the business than it is for the viewers.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree, Trolls run amongst us! shocker

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sonoran hasn't even opened my box since receiving it. He is shipping my stock back. would anyone like to take a shot at it?

Quick, Cheap, or Good: Pick Two

Posts: 2141 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would be suspicious that a mirror image would remove some little something from the wood and then I could not put it back...leave me some working room like perhaps at least 3/32s or something, I can't put wood back, I can only take it off, and that's what a custom stock is, I like the pantagraph, but not to the finish, that's the part I like..just my personal opine, and the only reason I don't like roughing out the blank is Im old and lazy and in a hurry to shoot it.... old

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

one of us
posted Hide Post
So collectively we're a year further into this process, but not any closer.

One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
I would be suspicious that a mirror image would remove some little something from the wood and then I could not put it back...old

I specially built my duplicator to fix that problem. Kind of like using heat to bend a stock. At the correct temperature and pressure the natural "glue" in the wood breaks down and allows you to mold it to your direction. Within limits however. I've got an instant reversing switch built into my spindle and dust collector and at just the right reverse RPM and feed rate the wood chips just weld themselves back onto the blank.

gunmaker
------------------
James Anderson Metalsmith & Stockmaker
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

Posts: 1839 | Location: Western South Dakota | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gunmaker:
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
I would be suspicious that a mirror image would remove some little something from the wood and then I could not put it back...old

I specially built my duplicator to fix that problem. Kind of like using heat to bend a stock. At the correct temperature and pressure the natural "glue" in the wood breaks down and allows you to mold it to your direction. Within limits however. I've got an instant reversing switch built into my spindle and dust collector and at just the right reverse RPM and feed rate the wood chips just weld themselves back onto the blank.

Chuckle chuckle chuckle

one of us
posted Hide Post
James you crack me up !

one of us
posted Hide Post
Perfect Jamie boy, Im packing up all my back orders for you to mirrow or Marrow stock, whatever!! Quote me later as I know you work by the hour!!! as price is not an option among us wealthy and filthy rich..Im especially impressed with the wood chip scenario, that's awesome.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Realistically, how many times is a stockmaker called upon to "mirror"

While back, I had a project that I posted here, called "Mirror Minis"

For a father and son one R handed and the other Left. Even then, they were not true mirrored stocks, due to different physiques.

Looking for cookie cutter or actual custom?

Posts: 3454 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When will someone invent a walnut 3D printer?

Posts: 630 | Location: Australia | Registered: 01 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It will most likely be done by a 10 yr old computer geerk

Posts: 3454 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Below is a video of a reverse duplicator. It will make a standard copy with the left cutter and the right one will make a mirror image copy.

https://imgur.com/gallery/fLVDzWD

Posts: 2141 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The wording mirror image makes me shudder..I may be a dinosaur but I really prefer enough wood left on a stock to finish by hand..I can take wood off all day long but I can't put it back..Seems like some here can and if so they have my blessings..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
i could do it, but would need 5k to make it ... not joking, can be done, easy enough, but requires funds to make it happen .. and 5k is break even

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38462 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I should have a mirror image copy in a few weeks. At a lot lower cost than $5K.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Vol717:
I should have a mirror image copy in a few weeks. At a lot lower cost than $5K.

cool, great - you win -- it would cost me 5k to build another pantogragh that could also mirror - glad you have an alternative for less ..

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38462 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Oh well, most would never know the difference..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120