Find
Notify
Tools

Hemingway's G&H 30-06
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted
Does anyone have a decent picture of Ernest Hemingway's 1930 Griffin and Howe 1903 Springfield 30-06?.....his actual rifle, not " just like this one, except....."

Roger

Posts: 1034 | Location: Was NSW, now Tas Australia | Registered: 27 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by yumastepside:
Does anyone have a decent picture of Ernest Hemingway's 1930 Griffin and Howe 1903 Springfield 30-06?.....his actual rifle, not " just like this one, except....."

Roger

Posts: 1034 | Location: Was NSW, now Tas Australia | Registered: 27 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Was there something in specific you are looking at? I’ve seen lots of pics, but they may or may not be useful.

One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted Hide Post
Nothing specific, I've never seen a good pic of it and I was curious as to what, if anything, makes it different from other G&H's. I may consider making a replica for myself.

Roger

One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is a Hemingway museum, if it is there perhaps the curator would take a few snapshots? Or they may know what became of it.

Posts: 1138 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 07 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
That rifle is lost - it was stolen from Patrick's house in Montana.

The best overall pics I've seen are in the book Hemingway's Guns. The cover pic is very good and there are also several inside. I wouldn't think it would be hard to get enough details from them. The most remarkable thing about it is there isn't really anything all that remarkable about it (which is also true of his other guns - he wasn't a gun nut). It's a G&H sporter with a side mount he never used and a peep sight.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The rifle in the photo has a pancake cheekpiece this different than the standard cheekpiece that Griffin&Howe used on most of their rifles. It could be a special-order from them, because they are a custom maker after all.

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Here's a pretty good pic of a pancake G&H on a 416 Rigby. http://www.ospreyarms.com/prod...ar-griffin-howe-416/

Overall the rifle looks like Hemingway's, but in a 416, which Hemingway expressed an interest in buying but never did.

For the most part, Hemingway relied on his friend Milford Baker for the rifle. In 1930 he told him "I'll put myself in your hands on the Springfield." Then provided measurements.

He said "I don;t care about the rifle being too ultra, would prefer fit and sturdiness and absolute dependability of action to finish."

Then later, "Would like to start in rifles in a modest way, especially since I'll shoot it an awful lot to get ready for the trip and may have shot the rifling out pretty well before the start....How many rounds can I figure on firing from the gun...before it will affect the rifling."

The letters on the rifle are interesting.

One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the interesting replies, keep 'em coming.....any idea whether it had a schnabel fore-end or not? ...can't tell from the pics I have.

Roger

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
No schnabel forend. It had a horn tip.

In looking for images of the rifle I just ran across images of Hemingway from June of 1961 while he was in Minnesota, after he had received shock treatment. He had well under a month to live. The look in his eyes tell me he's already gone.

This picture makes me sad.

One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted Hide Post
Thanks baxter,
yes, a very sad picture of the man that was.

Roger

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Jen Burns Hemmingway special starts tonight.

Posts: 10839 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LHeym500:

Yes, and I sense there will be a lot of deconstructing once again...a fresh opportunity to talk about all his -isms through yet another woke lens. I hope I am wrong, but I’ll be watching.

One of Us
Picture of bluefish
posted Hide Post
Wow! Never saw that pic of Papa before his death. So old and emaciated looking especially for 61.

Posts: 5232 | Location: The way life should be | Registered: 24 May 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You may be right, but Ken Burns documentaries are solid.

There are a few interviews with Orsen Wells talking about his friendship with Hemmingway on YouTube.

Posts: 10839 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Welles was also a great fan of bullfighting and is in fact buried on Antonio Ordonez’ estate. Ordonez and Hemingway were friends.

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Sorry, not great.

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27596 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Couldn't help noticeing...the leopard photo was printed backwards

Posts: 3454 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
https://www.amazon.com/Hemingw...ingway/dp/1586671596

Posts: 27596 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Hmm, don’t think it’s reversed, that’s the GH side mount you can see on the left side, same as when he’s sitting shooting.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You're right...thought it was the ejection port I was looking at

Posts: 3454 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This picture makes me sad.

[/QUOTE]

I just read the other night that Hemingway suffered from untreated Hemochromatosis . Body absorbs to much iron and it becomes stored in organs. It causes weight loss , fatigue, joint pains , stomach pains, weakness and organ damage. Hemingway’s fondness of the drink along with his Hemochromatosis probably contributed to cirrhosis.

Posts: 673 | Location: Western USA | Registered: 08 September 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BaxterB:
Hmm, don’t think it’s reversed, that’s the GH side mount you can see on the left side, same as when he’s sitting shooting.

I was wondering what that was.

Posts: 702 | Location: South Pacific NW | Registered: 09 January 2021Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
https://nationalpost.com/enter...ead-new-book-argues/

What wonders he could have written if only he did not suffer from CTE?

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
What gun is this?

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boom stick:
What gun is this?

Looks like the Springfield to me. It has the brass escutcheon in the right place and the wide/flat trigger guard.

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Is this the 30-06?

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Yes. The G&H mount is visible.

I think he did about 98% of his African hunting with the 06. Didn’t seem to take to any other rifles other than to criticize them.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Percival’s 470 sold at either James Julia or Rock Island a more than few years ago now.

I always thought that 470 was the 470 Hemmingway used and hated on The Green Hills of Africa safari. The 470 did not bring a truly large premium.

Hemmingway liked those Mannlichers.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know you mentioned not wanting pictures of “one just like it”, but Hemingway’s was #956 and I have #950. Other than barrel length and the fact that mine has a double lever G&H mount, rather than a single lever on his, it is nearly identical in all other respects - cheek piece, the sharp cornered feature running vertically down from the back of the bolt stop, etc. No doubt the same stocker did mine and his. There was still some artistic license allowed to the individual stockers in 1930, but shortly after this G&H standardized their stock. The standard design is a classic, for sure, but not an improvement over 950 & what we know of 956.

Let me know if you’d like some pictures of 950 and I’ll dig it out.

One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted Hide Post
....most certainly, lets see some pic's....this is turning out to be a most interesting thread....

Roger

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4WD:

I just read the other night that Hemingway suffered from untreated Hemochromatosis . Body absorbs to much iron and it becomes stored in organs. It causes weight loss , fatigue, joint pains , stomach pains, weakness and organ damage. Hemingway’s fondness of the drink along with his Hemochromatosis probably contributed to cirrhosis.

I have the same disease, my grandfather died of the same when he was 52. I in my 40's, hopefully I get it figured out.

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Percival’s 470 sold at either James Julia or Rock Island a more than few years ago now.

I always thought that 470 was the 470 Hemmingway used and hated on The Green Hills of Africa safari. The 470 did not bring a truly large premium.

Hemmingway liked those Mannlichers.

I think thats correct.

Im not so sold on the mannlichers though. He had them, but don’t think they were the go-to gun like the 06. In my mind they are more associated with Pauline and Mary.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think it is clear his favorites were the G&H 30/06, Model 12, and W&S Monte Carlo B.

But I do think he appreciated the Manlicars. He seems to have always had one on hand. He writes wonderfully of the Mannlicer in Islands in the Stream.

Oh, and the Colt 22 Woodsman.

One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
quote:

I caught this too late and set Ep2 to record and hope I can find Ep1 online somewhere.

How was it?

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3433 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So far, not too bad. My wife cried at the end of Episode 1 that closed with a passage from Farewell To Arms about some people life cannot break, so it kills. Made us think of my late Adopted Father.

They are saying what I have always said that Hemmingway’s writing is understanding of woman. It is using a lot from Movable Feast.

Episode 2 will touch on Green Hills of Africa, so buckle up.

They skipped the Bimini almost entirely, but for one mention of fishing and the boxing.

The find it odd, those leftist and non-hunting writers contemporary and current committing on the way of Hunting and Fishing. They obviously, do not know, want to know, or conceptualize the ethic. See the discussion of MacComber cowardice in the lion charge.

No mention of the Patterson Affair in inspiring The Short and Happy Life of Francis MacComber. If you do not know that back story, then yeah, one can read Hemmingway as being bitter to women.

I do read Green Hills as little, self-serving. I do find some good parts in it.

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
I've watched the entire Ken Burns series now. A few comments:

Most of the first part mirrors to a strange degree the biography that was made by the Biography Channel many years ago. Same quotes from his letters, same events (which is hard to avoid because they are pivotal) and in one scene, the exact same 2-second clip of a Parisian man lighting a cigarette. Hemingway was not in that clip, and I find it very coincidental Burns would have used the same clip.

The people they interviewed were pretty good - not great, but good.

In part 1, they did not mention one of the most important things he wrote for his school paper - The Judgement of Manitou. It is a very prescient story with themes that will reoccur over and over.

They did not avoid any controversy, which is good because they shouldn't. If there is anything you can learn from Hemingway it is that you can be flawed as hell and still accomplish great things.

Since you guys are on Part 2, I'll hold my comments for the rest until you've seen them.

You can stream the entire series via the PBS app, which I did today. Although I love Hemingway, every retelling of his life leaves me very sad because I know how it ends. Unfortunately, this retelling ends the same way.

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Yes he did like his Mannlichers; especially the model 1903 "with the little 18" barrel that they don't sell anymore". P.O.M. had one as did Mary + that was the one that ended Macomber. One of my fondest pieces is where he described the rifle in exquisite detail in "Islands In The Stream" in the 1st part (Bimini) while the boys are swimming around the boat. A beautiful paragraph.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
Thanks LHeym and Baxter.

I’ll have to download the PBS app and give it a go.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3433 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote