New
Find
Notify
Tools

Echols action
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
In the AR-15 world Black Nitride is getting quite popular. We are using it on a lot of our parts. Looks great, hard and slick, and resists rust. Also have a BAT actioned target with that is Black Nitride finished and am very happy with it.

John

Posts: 547 | Location: illinois | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think custom rifle aficionados will shy away from using anything but some sort of bluing on their expensive custom rifles.

KJK

Posts: 678 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 December 2020Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kolo-Pan:
I think custom rifle aficionados will shy away from using anything but some sort of bluing on their expensive custom rifles.

Are you one of those fellers? I have a pretty nice CM receiver with a special Bartlein barrel that I could only get in SS. I had it Melonited "black nitride" and you can't see the difference.
So tell me, what is a custom rifle? Does it have to be a certain brand receiver, wood stock, or?

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchlambert:
quote:
Originally posted by Kolo-Pan:

Are you one of those fellers? I have a pretty nice CM receiver with a special Bartlein barrel that I could only get in SS. I had it Melonited "black nitride" and you can't see the difference.
So tell me, what is a custom rifle? Does it have to be a certain brand receiver, wood stock, or?
Keep goimg..you're getting close..HAR!

A cookie cutter stock, wood or plastic, 20round AR platform night vision scope with suppressor can certainly be a custom rifle for night hog hunting in Texas. Just got back from such a trip....Damn fun!

But..would not be the same "custom" as a tranditional stalking rifle . One of a kind figured walnut, Mauser action,.rust blued with a little tasteful engraving....Joy to hunt with and to look at.

Posts: 3454 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like the black nitride. It looks pretty good and the hard surface makes it slick. Regards, Bill

Posts: 3522 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Since nobody has asked, I will. How much ?

Posts: 702 | Location: South Pacific NW | Registered: 09 January 2021Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Still working on the numbers, stay tuned

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will, thank you.

Posts: 702 | Location: South Pacific NW | Registered: 09 January 2021Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
A couple pics of the Black Nitride and Caustic blue together.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wonder how much you have to true them up before you can screw a barrel on?

Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BaxterB:
A couple pics of the Black Nitride and Caustic blue together.

Interesting barrel contour. Whose/what is it? Custom?

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
D’Arcy, down the road, would you entertain making some out of titanium? That would knock some socks off. Imagining a titanium 400 Whelen right now Eeker fishing popcorn

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27596 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boom stick:
D’Arcy, down the road, would you entertain making some out of titanium? That would knock some socks off. Imagining a titanium 400 Whelen right now Eeker fishing popcorn

Just contact Stu Satterlie.

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rcraig

I was wondering the same thing, it looks similar to what many of the old English rifle builders did in order to alter balance.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4196 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
D'Arcy, glad to see this dream of yours finally come into fruition. Can't wait for mine.

Posts: 988 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 458Win:
quote:
Originally posted by rcraig

I was wondering the same thing, it looks similar to what many of the old English rifle builders did in order to alter balance.

I asked D'Arcy that same question a few weeks back in an email exchange and that was his response, to get that rifles balance to his liking.

Posts: 1239 | Location: Golden, CO | Registered: 05 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
barrel needs a ringlet :-)

Posts: 6386 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It comes as a crushing blow to find out that 98 Mausers and pre 64 Model 70's are not perfect, but thank goodness D'Arcy has stepped up! I am struggling to find a word that captures the time, effort and money that must have gone into this effort. Kudos to all involved.

Posts: 722 | Location: Corrales, New Mexico | Registered: 03 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by squeezenhope:
It comes as a crushing blow to find out that 98 Mausers and pre 64 Model 70's are not perfect, but thank goodness D'Arcy has stepped up! I am struggling to find a word that captures the time, effort and money that must have gone into this effort. Kudos to all involved.

Perfection is in the eye of the beholder.
Sometimes, perfection takes on many forms.
Lots of ladies I would call perfection and would not say no to Big Grin

Posts: 27596 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In regards to Titanium, I have no doubt that Stu is the man for the job especially for a singular project. Boom give that man a call and get that project rolling!

Blue printing and LX ? I guess you could but since that's already done its a wasted series of steps. I just screwed another barrel on a LX yesterday and none was required, By design I might add.

Engraving and Black Nitride ????? I wouldn't have the foggiest but why would if be any different than any other surface application applied to a given surface. ?

Ser # 0001 Barrel contour ? This was done to reduce the barrels forward muzzle weight. Remember the Browning Safari Grade barrels ?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:
Outstanding and very impressive! tu2 tu2 tu2 Being a native Utahn from Orem, I did, however, have to look up Millville to learn that it's in Cache Valley. Big Grin

Me too and I did the same thing.
I think some day I'll reach out to Mr. Echols and see if he'll invite me up from Lehi. It's not that far to travel to meet a master for a few minutes!

Zeke

One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
I like what I see. It seems you've rolled the best of several designs together and added some innovations of your own. Very nice.

quote:
The scope rings can be removed in 30 seconds and replaced in the same amount of time. You can of course switch from a 1" scope to a 30mm for what ever reason you require. The dovetail bases have .010 inclined plane machined into them the help keep the reticle as close to middle of the elevation adjustment center as is reasonable with our forever changing stable of current Super Scopes.

Your base/ring system appears robust. It looks to me like it would be very easy to add quick release levers to those rings. If you don't do it I'm sure someone will find a way to add them after purchase. That's not a criticism, just an observation.

But I will say something critical. Please don't take it wrong. I am very impressed with what you've done. I think it's brilliant.

Your ring and base design is marvelous and well engineered, but perhaps too much so. You have included an incline in the bases. I do not understand what you mean by ".010 inclined plane". Is it .010 degrees of angle (<1 MOA), .010 inches drop (then how far apart are the bases?), do you mean 10 MOA, or is it something else? Regardless, you've built in an incline that some may want, some may not want, and others may want more of. You say you will be offering 1" and 30mm rings but some of today's scopes use 34mm rings and they are not all long range or target scopes. For example, a quick check on OpticsPlanet returns 392 34mm scopes. The built in base affords no means to install receiver sights or a ghost ring. Neither does it offer the user a lighter weight alternative, something some users might want when building a light compact rifle. The system as shown makes no provision for scopes that require, or shooters who need offset rings. Lastly, it appears there will be no provision for mounting many optical devices like day/night scopes, NV and IR scopes, and other optics that do not use rings.

Perhaps Ruger and Sako thought they had a good idea building each of their unique base/ring systems into their receivers. But the fact that you can find so many aftermarket options for those, including some that convert the original base into a Picatiny, Weaver or other base/ring system, is a testament to how Ruger and Sako actually created more mounting problems than they cured.

This is not to say that your mounting system is not a good one. I just think it limits your product's versatility and your end user's options. I can only imagine the amount of work involved, and resultant increased costs, to manufacture those bases and rings. Perhaps you could offer your ring system as an option. I know I would prefer a simple square bridge that a gunsmith could install a claw mount, EAW swing mount, or just a pair of simple two screw bases to. It would also reduce the costs and make it more affordable to a larger base of users.

Again, I think you have done something fantastic.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Grenadier All excellent observations and suggestions. Over the last six months as this project progressed into the "making of chips stage" I have been given almost a never ending array of similar feed back. Here are a few to ponder and there is no intended offense.

Can you make the rear tang just like the standard 98
Can you make the rear tang so it has an extended chin strap attached, as I really like those
Can you make the rear tang so it looks like a Pre-War M-70 cloverleaf as I really really like that look

Why for F---K SAKE did you use a cone breech design, that design can leak gas like a sieve and is dangerous
These are sweet, can I have a Mauser style flat breech
What! no 3 rings of steel ????? SORRY DESIGN

Will this action except a 338 Lapua and 416 Rigby, your a fool if you don't have this option
When can I get one set up for 505 Gibbs ?
When can I get one set up for the 500 Jeffery ?
It cant be set up for the 300 PRC ? you're really limiting your market share that's stupid
What! no intermediate length action, everyone has one of those (really !!!!)

You need to use the Picatinny system, forget everything else
you need to set these up for the Talley system, forget everything else
These need to have a proper Square Bridge
Make a deal with Joe Smithson and machine a square bridge base for his rings, they're to only rings worth having
Grind the tops round then drill and tap the tops so everyone can use a Leupold, again you got to think market share.

I hate the M-70 trigger design. You'll never get that trigger under 2-lbs. It needs a Jewell, Timney or just copy the old Canjar design, best trigger ever
I Don't like the trigger shape. I prefer to have the finger lever serrated, for gosh sakes don't serrate the finger lever, the trigger lever is too narrow to use on cold weather hunts. Can I get a trigger shoe?

Your barrel thread length is way too short, should be a 1.062 x 18 TPI, Thread form should be just like the 98. Can I get one with the Savage barrel nut system ?

Trigger Bow is Ugly, Trigger Bow is too small, I prefer a Blackburn assembly will that work ?
You really should use a 1 Piece floor Plate and Bow assembly. Can I get mine with a 98 type magazine
Will you make these with a detachable box magazine, that's the future think market share.
Why the older 3 piece design that sucks
Why not call Sunny Hill ?????

The bolt handle is ugly, I prefer my bolt handles to be straight on my DGR (ME- how many DGR rifles do you own? ) none ! but I will someday
Don't like the knob shape, It doesn't look like an old Mauser or M-70

Cant stand the bolt stop, It should have been internal, It should have been an exact 98 copy.I have a better Idea that Ill sell you (loved that one)

Why didn't you make the receiver from proper steel like 8620 ????? everyone knows you can't color harder Stainless, think market share moron !!!!!!!
I would have used Chrome-Moly regardless
You know it would have been better to finish all the machine work, get them engraved and then harden them.

I could go on but you get the point.

Right now I need to put this boat in the water and make sure it doesn't have any leaks

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DArcy_Echols_Co:
Grenadier All excellent observations and suggestions. Over the last six months as this project progressed into the "making of chips stage" I have been given almost a never ending array of similar feed back. Here are a few to ponder and there is no intended offense.

Can you make the rear tang so it has an extended chin strap attached, as I really like those
Can you make the rear tang so it looks like a Pre-War M-70 cloverleaf as I really really like that look

Why for F---K SAKE did you use a cone breech design, that design can leak gas like a sieve and is dangerous

Will this action except a 338 Lapua and 416 Rigby, your a fool if you don't have this option
It cant be set up for the 300 PRC ? you're really limiting your market share that's stupid

Make a deal with Joe Smithson and machine a square bridge base for his rings, they're to only rings worth having
Grind the tops round then drill and tap the tops so everyone can use a Leupold, again you got to think market share.

I hate the M-70 trigger design. You'll never get that trigger under 2-lbs. It needs a Jewell, Timney or just copy the old Canjar design, best trigger ever
I Don't like the trigger shape. I prefer to have the finger lever serrated, for gosh sakes don't serrate the finger lever, the trigger lever is too narrow to use on cold weather hunts. Can I get a trigger shoe?

Your barrel thread length is way too short, should be a 1.062 x 18 TPI, Thread form should be just like the 98. Can I get one with the Savage barrel nut system ?

Trigger Bow is Ugly, Trigger Bow is too small, I prefer a Blackburn assembly will that work ?
You really should use a 1 Piece floor Plate and Bow assembly. Can I get mine with a 98 type magazine
Will you make these with a detachable box magazine, that's the future think market share.

The bolt handle is ugly, I prefer my bolt handles to be straight on my DGR (ME- how many DGR rifles do you own? ) none ! but I will someday

Cant stand the bolt stop, It should have been internal, It should have been an exact 98 copy.I have a better Idea that Ill sell you (loved that one)

Why didn't you make the receiver from proper steel like 8620 ????? everyone knows you can't color harder Stainless, think market share moron !!!!!!!
You know it would have been better to finish all the machine work, get them engraved and then harden them.

Right now I need to put this boat in the water and make sure it doesn't have any leaks

Chuckle chuckle, I agree.

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
In 10 years you will just print your own custom gun with every bell and whistle just like you want. The technology is already here, but expensive. I like that this is the culmination of decades of a passion from an artist/smith that is a new flavor of other ingredients like rocky road ice cream is a combination or a few great things together. I gather he is doing it for his own itch and artistry more than his bank account and that is being true to his own expressions and worthy of applause clap
I have wanted a titanium action from Stuart for years, the time is coming. I need to get on his waiting list. I still need to settle on what action size and get the new car paid off. I still think an action in LC200N would be great as well.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What is the barrel length of the pictured rifle? Will length be an option?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey D’Arcy,
You going to make the LX1 in .22 Hornet? Whistling
Seriously, your 40 years of experience shows through. You are truly at the top of your game.
Paul

Posts: 673 | Location: Western USA | Registered: 08 September 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
quote:
Grenadier All excellent observations and suggestions. Over the last six months as this project progressed into the "making of chips stage" I have been given almost a never ending array of similar feed back. Here are a few to ponder and there is no intended offense. ......Right now I need to put this boat in the water and make sure it doesn't have any leaks
No offense meant and none taken. By no means was I suggesting you stop the milling machines, redesign your action and start over again.

Things like the breaching system, the steel being used, shape of the tang, style of the bolt handle, cartridge family compatibility, and the receiver/barrel thread interface are foundational to the design and not the sort of things offered as options by any action manufacturer nor are they options offered by any custom gun builder, one-offs excluded. But bases and rings are regularly offered as an option by nearly every custom gun maker and every custom rifle builder. It's that way for good reason.

So, somewhere down the road, when and if an appropriate time comes, please consider what I suggested as an option. Either way, I am very interested in your project and, once it goes "public", I will be looking for an opportunity to view the finished product. Please keep us informed.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Would it be difficult to program a picatinny version as well as the D’Arcy mount? I understand that D’Arcy made it that way for good reasons and I just want to see him succeed commercially as well as artistically/functionality to his design.

One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
Ha-Ha.... Roll Eyes

FWIW, if I see his action and I like what I see I am more likely to purchase one than most here. But I think you already know that Boomy.

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grenadier:
Ha-Ha.... Roll Eyes

FWIW, if I see his action and I like what I see I am more likely to purchase one than most here. But I think you already know that Boomy.

You do have some of the best taste in guns, sir. patriot

Your single shot is one of my favorite guns of all time. Your 375HH is as well.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The fact that it is set up with its own proprietary scope mount is, in my opinion, brilliant.

Posts: 2652 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Late to the game as usual, but Mr. Echols, I must say, fantastic work.

Nathaniel Myers
Myers Arms LLC
nathaniel@myersarms.com
www.myersarms.com
Follow us on Instagram and YouTube

I buy Mauser actions, parts, micrometers, tools, calipers, etc. Specifically looking for pre-WWII Mauser tools.

Posts: 1476 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 06 June 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chuck Nelson:
The fact that it is set up with its own proprietary scope mount is, in my opinion, brilliant.

HAR !!! Not to take anything away from your enthusiasm..but have you ever seen a staple gun that uses the same staples as a competitor? Just good business!

Posts: 3454 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
With that same stream of logic then why aren't we ALL still using German Claw Mounts, or rotary dovetails, or the G&H MOUNT , or the Len Brownell, or the Kimber or Talley's or Picatinny's or Spuhr ? HAR!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well....that WOULD be '"logical" but not leave much room for innovation

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Wut?
No one suggested making it from mild steel and casehardening? You know the ol time tested method. Wink

Did you make the receiver barrel threads interrupted forward of the right raceway?
Don't see a guide rib. How did you address bolt binding? Winchester lump?

thanks

one of us
posted Hide Post
The threads are not interupted on the extractor side

There is no need for a guide rib and the bolt does'nt bind

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Posting for D'Arcy:

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Baxter

Not the best pic but does shown a full thread form on the extractor side.