Find
Notify
Tools

Caribou
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted
Any recomendations on an outfitter for a relaible, quality caribou hunt?

One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted Hide Post
Really depends on the type of caribou you are after and your budget but for mountain caribou, Gana River Outfitters is hard to beat.

Posts: 1857 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 27 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post
Mountain Caribou isprobably out of reach financially, trying to stay @ $5k/ea or under for a group of 6-8.

One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted Hide Post
I've hunted with Jack Hume in Quebec....definitely a straight shooter!

Posts: 1857 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 27 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Richard Gardner, Delta Junction, AK

Posts: 2097 | Location: Gainesville, FL | Registered: 13 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We went in 2011 in northern Manitoba with Monroe Lake Lodge. All 6 of us shot 2 bulls. We had a big time. Great outfitter. We had a conference call with the outfitter to discuss the details of the trip. I have never seen that before.

Posts: 11958 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 11958 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Greg Brownlee
posted Hide Post
Brad,

If you're interested in Alaska and don't mind doing a self guided but fully outfitted trip, I've got a guy who'll do it for $3,500 per person in groups of 4. You wouldn't want 8 in a camp, but two groups of 3 or 4 would work.

Greg

Greg Brownlee
Neal and Brownlee, LLC
Quality Worldwide Big Game Hunts Since 1975
918/299-3580
greg@NealAndBrownlee.com

www.NealAndBrownlee.com

Instagram: @NealAndBrownleeLLC

Hunt reports:

Botswana 2010

Alaska 2011

Bezoar Ibex, Turkey 2012

Mid Asian Ibex, Kyrgyzstan 2014

Posts: 1154 | Location: Tulsa, OK | Registered: 08 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Any more endorsements for Jack Hume? A friend went this year and had a great time. I'm looking to book for next year somewhere up there.

Posts: 2717 | Location: NH | Registered: 03 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you want something out of the ordinary but IMO the best caribou hunting anywhere and dont mind going in early Dec(bou still have racks) then you could contact Eddy Pash(that is him in the pic-if he is still around).at Nouchimi
If that does not work then contact. Mirage outfitters
This is hunting the Leaf and George river herds in northern Quebec during the winter hunting season which starts in DEC.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The big bulls of the Porcupine caribou herd of 160-180,000 in the Yukon drop their antlers very close to the 1st of November. Seems odd to me there is so much difference in timing of those other herds, but I have no experience there.

Jim

Posts: 383 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada | Registered: 25 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Northman56751
posted Hide Post
I just got back from a hunt with our outfitter in Quebec and had a great hunt. Will try post pictures and details tomorrow or this weekend.
It's not Jack Hume........

We have hosted 6 trips with this outfitter and had great success. Next year, we will be hosting our 7th. We the whole camp reserved specifically for our clients.

Black bear can be taken at no charge as long as you buy the tag. 9 bears were seen during our 5 day.

Right now, when everything is said and done, your average caribou hunt is going to run somewhere between $8-10,000.00. Mountain caribou will be closer to 15.

Brett Mattson
www.hosted-hunts.com
E-mail: brett@hosted-hunts.com
Cell: 218-452-0774
Life Member NRA

Posts: 258 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhaney:
The big bulls of the Porcupine caribou herd of 160-180,000 in the Yukon drop their antlers very close to the 1st of November. Seems odd to me there is so much difference in timing of those other herds, but I have no experience there.

Jim

Is the date you gave the starting point or have most bou dropped them by then? Here I would say they begin dropping their antlers somewhere around the beginning of NOV. and it lasts until the middle of DEC.I would hunt mostly around the third week of NOV.(before the current change in season dates) and most bou still had their racks but some did not-you could actually see bou losing their antlers.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here is another outfitter.All three that I have listed hunt in the same zone(22B) and are within a few miles of one another.If I am not mistaken you are still allowed a quota of two bou per hunter.You will also hunt by snowmobile. Kiskimaastakin
The zone 22B is the wintering zone for the two herds.If you are lucky and you have good timing you will be there when the bou are there in numbers.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks gents.

Looking forward to your report northman.

Shootaway....I'd hate to make the effort to get up there and find they've all dropped their antlers. That being said, I would MUCH rather hunt up there in winter conditions.

one of us
posted Hide Post
You will almost be certain of getting one with antlers however quality is not what it was twenty years ago and this is not a specialized Trophy caribou hunt.I would drive up from NH and hunt the 300km+ of roads-that is the best way IMO.If the bou are not accesible by road you could try and hire a guide with a snowmobile.There is also a site where you can check the sattelite movements of the herd to see beforehand if they are in the area.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
So are you saying I could do a bou hunt without a guide? What about logistics/lodging, etc.? I'll be with probably 3 or 4 buds from Montana.....all experienced hunters.

The idea of a DIY hunt (not for monetary reasons) is appealing to all of us provided it's feasible.

one of us
posted Hide Post
You don't need a guide.The hunt is much better without a guide.You simply wake up early morning say 4,have breakfast with all the other hunters at the lodge,get in your pick-up and drive about 100km in the worlds most beautiful and wild country.You will know where the bou are because others will be stopped and cleaning out there bou or you will be on alert if you see fresh tracks in the snow crossing the road because they will just come out of nowhere.These are just a couple of the scenarios.You get the bou butchered and packed in dry ice for the drive back home.
It is a 20hr drive from Mtl.Fuel or gas is plentiful along the way and the rds are plowed and good.You take a room and sleep either at Radisson(james Bay),relais routier 381km),Matagami,or Amos.You then take the trans Taiga rd(east) to one of the three outfitters I listed.
The hunt packages are 3day, 4nights and the American plan includes meals at the lodge and a bagged lunch for the trip.You will see other hunters from the states there.Personally I would do this hunt rather than any other caribou hunt.This is THE caribou hunt and a world class hunt not to miss.
Bring a shotgun for Ptarmigan.
The whole trip all included costs me about 2000cdn.This includes licenses,my gas... everything from Mtl.
Go as early in the season as you can because it gets really cold up there and it makes it all less fun(at least for me).The first week of DEC. or even better the last week of NOV.(if the season still opens by then) is best.
There is the possibility although slim of shooting a real beautiful trophy.I have seen a bou shot there that was possibly the best shot at the club in years-according to the staff.It was the best one I ever seen.Too bad I was out of film.It easily stood apart from the hundreds or thousands of racks I've seen taken during all the years I hunted there(the words polished crystal come to mind).It was shot by an American.The story told was that they were driving in their pick-up along the road and saw some bou crossing a frozen lake.They got out and shot it as it got near the edge.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I read that all Americans must use the services of an outfitter by law, in quebec, to hunt caribou.

Posts: 17106 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
So do Canadian and Quebec residents.You are not obligated to use or pay for the services of a guide however.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've done this Quebec trip many times .
It has always produced caribou , except one time when they were no where to be found.

Keep in mind , once we were there in January and it was 42 below zero at night !

My rifle shot most all of the caribou that trip , because the other rifles froze up !!

DRSS Chapuis 9.3 x 74 R
RSM. 416 Rigby
RSM 375 H&H

Posts: 1293 | Location: Catskill Mountains N.Y. | Registered: 13 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Even though I was not really impressed with Caribou, I shot a Woodland on Newfoundland in 1996 and a Central Canadian Barren ground in Nunavut in 2000. I did not find the meat any better than white tail or mule deer, but the racks are impressive, I am glad I did my hunts when I did, because the price of hunting Caribou has gotten ridiculous.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote