THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Westley Richards Howdah Rifle - a Double Rifle w/ 16" Factory Barrels in 375 2-1/2 NE
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Westley Richards Howdah Rifle - a Double Rifle w/ 16" Factory Barrels in 375 2-1/2 NE
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted
Hello all,

Although I once posted a response to a topic and mentioned this double rifle, I've not posted the complete story about it. It is by far one of my favorite (and rarest) double rifles.

This is a Westley Richards "Howdah Rifle" with 16" Factory Barrels.

Overall length of the rifle from Muzzle to Butt, is only 33 inches.

Other than barrel length, it is a full size medium frame double rifle weighing 8 pounds 10 ounces, with a 14-1/2" LOP. Rear sight has one standing, and 4 folding leaves.

Its in 375 2-1/2" Nitro Express caliber, and was shipped to Bombay, India in 1927 to be used as a "Howdah Rifle".

When I purchased this rifle, I called Westley Richards and inquired about its History.

I was told the rifle was started as serial number T7848, but the order was canceled before it was completed, and the action was shelved. (no additional information about T7848 was recorded in their ledgers)

Then, a considerable time later, (about 1,742 serial numbers later) M. Saleh & Co. ordered a 375-2.5" Howdah rifle, with 16" barrels. It was then that it was renumbered to T9590 and recorded in their ledger. I asked Westley Richards if they had made any other double rifles with 16" barrels. They said; "to date, they had not run across any others in their ledgers with barrels that short, so it might have been a "one-of-a-kind" custom order."

I researched and discovered that M.Saleh & Co. was still in business. I sent photos of the rifle and then called M. Saleh & Co. in Bombay, India. (now Mumbai, India) I spoke with M. Saleh's Grandson. He told me that most of the sales records from 1928 and earlier were lost. He went on to say that the rifle was likely purchased by his Grandfather himself, who was an avid Tiger hunter.

My best groups have been using 270g and 300g bullets with IMR4895 powder, resulting in 4-shot groups of 1-1/4" to 1-3/4" at 50 yards. Even with only 16" barrels, velocities are approaching 2000fps. Factory Ammo specs for the 270g bullet is 2050fps from a 26" barrel. Since Kynoch offered "solids" for this caliber, I'm thinking it may have been used on Elephants at times.

as always your comments are most welcome.

" .... you never pay too much for something, you only buy it too early .... "

How to Hunt Wisconsin Whitetail Deer with a Cannon

How to Hunt Feral Cats with a Mortar

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whitetail Country - Wisconsin | Registered: 28 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great rifle, great peace of history.
(The only "bad point": The animals "engravings")

One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bockhunter:

Hello Bockhunter
Thanks for the reply.

Yes, the animal engravings are strange. About what you would expect on a rifle destined to go to India. Especially the vampire deer with "fangs".

I was surprised to learn that the "Vampire" looking deer engraved on the back of the lever, was not a slip of the engraver's chisel. There was a deer with horns engraved on the bottom of the receiver, a Tiger on the trigger-guard, but what the heck' was that on the lever? I actually asked the seller if the "Saber-Tooth" Deer was a joke, or just some strange scratches that made the deer look like it had "Fangs".

He said "no joke", these are real deer found in India, and directed me to this link.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indian_muntjac

After about an hour of searching other links on the NET, I put together these pictures, having learned something new that eluded me for 68 years.

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whitetail Country - Wisconsin | Registered: 28 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A Howdah rifle with a 4 folding leaves. Cracks me up.

Posts: 727 | Location: Corrales, New Mexico | Registered: 03 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by squeezenhope:
A Howdah rifle with a 4 folding leaves. Cracks me up.

Hello squeezenhope
Thanks foe the reply.

Yes. The sights are marked: 50, 100, 150, 200, and 300 (yards?) Maybe its suppose to mean 50, 100, 150, 200, and 300 feet - that would make more sense. Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Exquisite! If only that rifle could talk!

Thanks for sharing the story and pictures of that fantastic rifle.

BH63

Hunting buff is better than sex!

Posts: 2205 | Registered: 29 December 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Wow!
I want one...

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27600 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Great rifle AND great engraving. I’m an odd one who likes this style, especially the tiger on the trigger guard. It’s very indicative of the era. Hemingway’s 577 has it as does a friends WR. Neat rifle.

One of Us
posted Hide Post

Here you can see, that it is sometimes better, then the barrels of an double are not too long.

I think that situations like this, the reasons are, to make sutch an "short barreld double", like the nice WR double from this thread.

One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
The artist that did that picture in 1876 got that tiger right, I wonder why engravers of the period could not do a better likeness?

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2268 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
WOW!! This is fascinating, thanks for sharing. I have forwarded this to a great friend who is probably one of the most knowledgeable and largest collectors of Howdahs ...I think 18 or 19 at this point...many of which we have shot together....
Cheers,

470EDDY

Posts: 2573 | Location: The Other Washington | Registered: 24 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lee440:
The artist that did that picture in 1876 got that tiger right, I wonder why engravers of the period could not do a better likeness?

Yes, but I'm not sure he got the rifle and shooter right. It looks as though he is shooting the elephant.

Posts: 4979 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
What a collection you must have. You also do a lot of work for the provenance. Just awesome.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3433 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Great rifle, Buck.
Of the rifles I have seen of yours, this is my favorite.
I've only seen one other short barreled double and it's here in Alaska. I think in 9.3 x 72r.
Cheers.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
buckstix, That is very interesting. Thanks for the post. Brian

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3339 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by buckstix:
quote:
Originally posted by Bockhunter:

Hello Bockhunter
Thanks for the reply.

Yes, the animal engravings are strange. About what you would expect on a rifle destined to go to India. Especially the vampire deer with "fangs".

I was surprised to learn that the "Vampire" looking deer engraved on the back of the lever, was not a slip of the engraver's chisel. There was a deer with horns engraved on the bottom of the receiver, a Tiger on the trigger-guard, but what the heck' was that on the lever? I actually asked the seller if the "Saber-Tooth" Deer was a joke, or just some strange scratches that made the deer look like it had "Fangs".

He said "no joke", these are real deer found in India, and directed me to this link.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indian_muntjac

After about an hour of searching other links on the NET, I put together these pictures, having learned something new that eluded me for 68 years.

I would suggest that the engraving is much more likely to be a Musk Deer - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Musk_deer or a Chinese Water Deer - which are mostly what your pictures are of. The Musk Deer and CWD look similar, the Musk Deer is found in India and up into Russia / Siberia, and the Water Deer in China and Korea. They are not true deer, but a closely related ruminant.

The Muntjac is similar in size and does have small tusks - but not visible unless you lift up lip. But it has antlers that sit on top of boney ridges on the skull, and the antlers a re shed and regrow each year.

Your bottom left skull and the centre bottom deer with stripes on its face are Muntjac, the rest are CWD or Musk Deer.

Both the Chinese Water Deer and the Indian Muntjac are now quite common in the Southern parts of the UK. https://www.bds.org.uk/index.p...species/muntjac-deer

Given that this Rifle was ordered from India, I would think the engraving is of the Musk deer would be of the Musk. An engraving of a Muntjac would have small straight antlers which grow in line of the top of the head to tip of nose, and no visible tusks.

Posts: 981 | Location: Scotland | Registered: 28 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
Hello All,
Thank you all that replied.
quote:
Originally posted by cal pappas:
Great rifle, Buck.
I've only seen one other short barreled double and it's here in Alaska. I think in 9.3 x 72r.
Cheers.
Cal

Hello Cal,
Thanks for the reply.

Truth be known, I think I actually have 5 or 6 favorites, but this one's got to be near the top of the list.

The Howdah rifle that's in Alaska, what maker is it?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
But it looks a really fun rifle to have - bet it's noisy though.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
And Bucksticks, how does the Westley Richards top lever work - I never handled one in the Flesh or seen a picture of it opened.

Does it lever around the curved flange on top right, with the slotted screw then sliding down the tang pulling back the locking mechanism. Please can you show us with some pictures.

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by buckstix:
Hello All,
Thank you all that replied.
quote:
Great rifle, Buck.
Cheers.
Cal

Hello Cal,
Thanks for the reply.

Truth be known, I think I actually have 5 or 6 favorites, but this one's got to be near the top of the list.

The Howdah rifle that's in Alaska, what maker is it?

It's been years since I've seen it. 16" barrels, an old one in a European black powder cartridge.
I have not seen the owner in a long time and can't remember the maker. I recall Lang or Lancaster but I could be in error.

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tomahawker
posted Hide Post
That style of engraving always reminds me of old Asian/Chinese depictions of dragons and tigers. You can tell what it is but highly stylized. I also like it

Posts: 3453 | Registered: 27 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That beauty would make a hell of a bear rifle in the thick stuff.

"If you’re innocent why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?”- Donald Trump

Posts: 9582 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 09 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Heym SR20:
But it looks a really fun rifle to have - bet it's noisy though.

Hello SR20,
Thanks for the reply. What? Wink Not really too noisy unless you use a slow burning powder that burns beyond the barrels.
quote:
It's been years since I've seen it. 16" barrels, an old one in a European black powder cartridge.
I have not seen the owner in a long time and can't remember the maker. I recall Lang or Lancaster but I could be in error.

Hello cal pappas,
Thanks for the reply.

If you ever run across that one, I'd love to see a picture.
quote:
Originally posted by tomahawker:
That style of engraving always reminds me of old Asian/Chinese depictions of dragons and tigers. You can tell what it is but highly stylized. I also like it

Hello tomahawker,
Thanks for the reply.

I especially like the Tiger, and the Sabre-Tooth deer.
quote:
Originally posted by Jefffive:
That beauty would make a hell of a bear rifle in the thick stuff.

Hello Jefffive,
Thanks for the reply.

The short barrel makes it very fast handling, but the weight still keeps it controllable.

one of us
Picture of mt Al
posted Hide Post
Love it! Thank you for sharing the story and pictures. I self identify as your son and look forward to inheriting this and several other double rifles.

Posts: 1064 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 21 October 2002Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
In doing some chatting and jawboning with my Howdah buddy he makes the interesting observation-
What surprises me is that the rifle is a T series with a C type break and dolls head extension. T series are usually considered bought in from the trade and don't feature the classic Westley Richards bolting

Note the T- Serial number shown, denoting the "T" series. By the way, there are some T-series drop lock doubles out there too...

Cheers,

470EDDY

Posts: 2573 | Location: The Other Washington | Registered: 24 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 470EDDY:
In doing some chatting and jawboning with my Howdah buddy he makes the interesting observation-
What surprises me is that the rifle is a T series with a C type break and dolls head extension. T series are usually considered bought in from the trade and don't feature the classic Westley Richards bolting

Note the T- Serial number shown, denoting the "T" series. By the way, there are some T-series drop lock doubles out there too...

Cheers,

I assumed that the “T” just noted that the gun was made during the time Leslie Taylor was director of Westley Richards.

Posts: 3239 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My understanding is the same as that of 470EDDY. I also have never encounter a C-bolt gun with the "T" serial number series. Really a cool rifle!

Posts: 3770 | Location: Boulder Colorado | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote