THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Final Verdict - June 10 - on my Sabatti ...
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Final Verdict - June 10 - on my Sabatti ...
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted
As most of you know, Michael458 did an extensive evaluation of accuracy and penetration using my Sabatti 450/400 double.

Click here for that thread ...

Just about an hour ago, the Gun Library Manager at the Cabela's from which I bought my 450/400 sent me an email with an update. EAA told him that the re-barrel and proper regulation of my Sabatti should be done by the end of next week.

He will keep me posted and I will update that info and results here.

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3460 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
Doc

That is wonderful news. Cabela's stepped up to the plate, as they normally do. I have had a few things, and Cabelas always does the right thing, or has by me.

Such a nice rifle, I can't wait until you check it out when it returns.

Michael

http://www.b-mriflesandcartridges.com/default.html

The New Word is "Non-Conventional", add "Conventional" to the Endangered Species List!
Live Outside The Box of "Conventional Wisdom"

I do Not Own Any Part of Any Bullet Company, I am not in the Employ Of Any Bullet Company. I do not represent, own stock, nor do I receive any proceeds, or monies from ANY BULLET COMPANY. I am not in the bullet business, and have no Bullets to sell to you, nor anyone else.

Posts: 8426 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 23 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
Maybe I'll make a house call when I get it back and bring it with me tu2

Posts: 3460 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
Absolutely! We can make a plan!

M

http://www.b-mriflesandcartridges.com/default.html

The New Word is "Non-Conventional", add "Conventional" to the Endangered Species List!
Live Outside The Box of "Conventional Wisdom"

I do Not Own Any Part of Any Bullet Company, I am not in the Employ Of Any Bullet Company. I do not represent, own stock, nor do I receive any proceeds, or monies from ANY BULLET COMPANY. I am not in the bullet business, and have no Bullets to sell to you, nor anyone else.

Posts: 8426 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 23 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good to hear.

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
CCMDoc, MY fingers are crossed! Good luck!

.............. BOOM ................ holycow

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Hope it all works out!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
CCMDoc,

Who was handling the re-barrel? EAA in Florida or Sabatti in Italy. I have to question anything that involves EAA as they were very much less than helpful with the Sabattis from the beginning. They really had a give-a-shit attitude. Hope it works out for you but I'd appreciate some more info regarding the repairs.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
Hi Mike,

It's in Italy as I type this.

We'll see...

One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
CMCDoc,

Excellant!!! Very glad to hear it went back to Italy for correction. I too, will be anxious to hear your report once it's back in your hands.

I've now asked Cabela's to attempt to find the Sabatti I returned for refund. It has $600 worth of stock/receiver work and I'd be very willing to try it with a newly, and correctly, installed and regulated barrel assembly. It is a 500NE and needed the added weight and recoil pad that JJ installed for me, along with a trigger job and other changes.

I have no idea if they will try to find it, but I hope so. Don't really know what good it will be to Sabatti otherwise, given the changes.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
Lionhunter,

I hope they can locate your double. If this works out as I hope and things are done properly then it woudl certainly be worth the time and effort to get your personalized Sabatti back and sent in for re-barrel and re-regulation.

We'll see the end result when mine is back in my hands ...

Good luck

One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
It would have been interesting to make a mark somewhere on the pipes to see if they indeed change them out or come up with some other sort of 'fix'.

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Brooks:
It would have been interesting to make a mark somewhere on the pipes to see if they indeed change them out or come up with some other sort of 'fix'.

Good point.

By the fore end lump ?

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
Possibly.. IIRC they are mono-blocked so anywhere except the ribs or monoblock. It wouldn't take much to mark the metal so a quick buff and blue job wouldn't erase it.

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
Didn't even occur to me to do so - guess I'm too trusting of people.

We'll see ...

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
What is wrong if the muzzle end was re-crowned and the barrels were regulated in the proper manner? Is that a problem? Just a dumb question from a DR Bwana wannabe!

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11007 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nakihunter:
What is wrong if the muzzle end was re-crowned and the barrels were regulated in the proper manner? Is that a problem? Just a dumb question from a DR Bwana wannabe!

In looking at the photos of one of the butchered one's, it looks like they
have taken a fair bit of the rifling out from within the barrel so they would have to shorten the barrel before they re crown.

I'd want a new set of barrel's thanks.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
With the grind marks on the barrel, it should be pretty easy to figure out what they do in Italy.

Recrown? Different barrel length.
New barrels? No grind marks and factory length.

In the end, what matters is that they fix it properly.

Best Regards,
Sid

All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
Alexis de Tocqueville

The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money.
Alexis de Tocqueville

Posts: 602 | Location: East Texas, USA | Registered: 16 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My 450-400 was not ground and shot exactly to the "unregulated" group on the supplied target. I returned it to Cabelas and they agreed to send it back for regulation. This before we were aware of Sabatti's method of regulation. Just before I learned of the method here Cabelas emailed indicating that the rifle was being shot in and regulated "this week". I emailed advising I wanted to return the rifle and its little brother the 9.3 under the belief that they would grind regulate it. I did not persue how they planned to regulate it though they were, by then, well aware of what we all knew here. I have my cash back and it has since been spent on a couple of nice custom bolt guns but I will await the outcome of Sabatti's ultimate response. I do look forward to your outcome.

Posts: 1574 | Location: Either far north Idaho or Hill Country Texas depending upon the weather | Registered: 26 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like it has and could turn out to be a very expensive exercise for Sabatti and Cabela's (at least time and effort wise).

One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 500N:
Looks like it has and could turn out to be a very expensive exercise for Sabatti and Cabela's (at least time and effort wise).

But perhaps well worth it for the restoration of their reputation among dedicated customers.

I'm actually quite confident in Cabela's intent to do right by me. I reserve that confidence in Sabatti until I see the results of this effort.

We'll see ...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Are these guns being rebarreled or are the existing barrels being shortened and then regulated? Turn around seems amazingly quick for new barrels.

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
<generalwar>
posted
In regards to Sabatti's reputation, irrespective if they are now re-barreling or not, the damage has been done.

That may change for the interim due to pressure from clients and retailers stuck with there pieces, but does little in my mind to restore confidence in there guns overall.

I do hope however that the people that have shelled out the money for one, will be happy or worse case somewhat satisfied with there weapon and the situation itself after the repairs.

No doubt. What was thought to be a tremendous buy for the money, has now turned out to be something entirely different and extremely controversial. Which does not bode well for the retail side of things, the firm itself, or the secondary market either direction it takes.

One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by generalwar:
In regards to Sabatti's reputation, irrespective if they are now re-barreling or not, the damage has been done.

That may change for the interim due to pressure from clients and retailers stuck with there pieces, but does little in my mind to restore confidence in there guns overall.

I do hope however that the people that have shelled out the money for one, will be happy or worse case somewhat satisfied with there weapon and the situation itself after the repairs.

No doubt. What was thought to be a tremendous buy for the money, has now turned out to be something entirely different and extremely controversial. Which does not bode well for the retail side of things, the firm itself, or the secondary market either direction it takes.

Perhaps ...
but then again, if they properly take care of the problem rifles;
and
from this point forward produce only properly built and regulated doubles;
and
charge the same or similar price as they had ...

two years from now many people wouldn't know the difference and those who do would only be able to say ...
"Remember when ..."

No idea if any of these things will happen as I have not yet received my "old" Sabatti back but I wouldn't have bothered sending it back at all if I didnt believe in giving people a chance at making things "right".

I remain hopeful but as I've said, we'll see ...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I Just returned from sending my Sabatti off to Cabelas to be fixed. I've also had to take my Ford F-150 and my Toyota back to the dealers for recall work.

If Cabelas and Sabatti come through as well as Ford and Toyota did I see no reason not to consider buying their products in the future.

One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
CCMDoc,

You have a new PM inbound.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LionHunter:
CCMDoc,

You have a new PM inbound.

Got it and responded.
Thanks and stay well,
Paul

One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
Given LionHunter's pal's bad experience I checked in with my contact at Cabelas last night.

Here is the response I received minutes ago:

"I just heard back this morning on your gun. He says the Italians have it as a priority job. They tell him it should done before the end of the month and will express ship it back. Then they are going to test fire it once back in the states to make sure everything is good. That is everything I've got back from him for now.

I responded to that email with the information and experience shared by LionHunter as background for him and his associates. Whether anything is done with that information I do not know.

Hopefully my experience will be different but we'll see when I have my Sabatti 450/400 back in my own hands.

As always, the truth is what it is and I will post the results "good, bad or indifferent" as my father would say.

One of Us
Picture of JCS271
posted Hide Post
We all hope it comes back, "done right"!

Time will tell.

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation."
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1626 | Location: Montana Territory | Registered: 27 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
if there are issues, a good company will stand behind their product; and "Make it Right."

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by CCMDoc:

"I just heard back this morning on your gun. He says the Italians have it as a priority job. They tell him it should done before the end of the month and will express ship it back. Then they are going to test fire it once back in the states to make sure everything is good. That is everything I've got back from him for now.
......UOTE]

Hopefully they will test fire in Italy before shipping back to the US....

Do you know what load/ammo they use for regulation.?

DRSS &
Bolt Action Trash

Posts: 860 | Location: Arizona + Just as far as memory reaches | Registered: 04 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
AzGuy,
I hope so too but do not know what they are using for regulation. They had been using Hornady DG factory loads.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AzGuy:
Do you know what load/ammo they use for regulation.?

Hopefully 1" steel drill bits !!!

(so that they can't be used again to butcher the guns).

One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
Was told that my double is done and waiting to clear Customs.
I will let you know results and what was done.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I sent my Sab back a few days after Doc sent his. When I talked to a guy in the Sidney store he said that to the best of his knowledge the work was being done in this country.

I wish that whoever is in charge of this project at Cabelas would issue a clear statement detailing exactly what they are doing.

I'm still hoping for a good result, but my gut meter index is starting to point south.

<generalwar>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by MACD:
I sent my Sab back a few days after Doc sent his. When I talked to a guy in the Sidney store he said that to the best of his knowledge the work was being done in this country.

I wish that whoever is in charge of this project at Cabelas would issue a clear statement detailing exactly what they are doing.

I'm still hoping for a good result, but my gut meter index is starting to point south.

Interesting point.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

The US Gov't can't get the story straight and they control all the info,
how do you expect Sab / Cabela's to get it straight !!!

LOL

One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 500N:

The US Gov't can't get the story straight and they control all the info,
how do you expect Sab / Cabela's to get it straight !!!

LOL[/QUOTE]

Indeed Obama can't get the story straight. That being said, perhaps I missed the participation by the "Australian" SEAL team in Pakistan. Wink

Deo Vindice,

Don

Sons of Confederate Veterans Black Horse Camp #780

Posts: 1696 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 01 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DoubleDon:

Indeed Obama can't get the story straight. That being said, perhaps I missed the participation by the "Australian" SEAL team in Pakistan. Wink

We pull our weight, and more so for our size. I do however think our
Gov't pussyfoots around a bit with ROE et al.

Re SEALS, they see to be good at killing people, after the last one
where the person being rescued was killed, maybe this time when they
went in to kill they might have ended up with a rescue / hostage !!! LOL

One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
quote:

Can't disagree that a published position statement would be helpful.