THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Final Verdict - June 10 - on my Sabatti ...
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Final Verdict - June 10 - on my Sabatti ...
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 500N:
quote:
Originally posted by DoubleDon:

Indeed Obama can't get the story straight. That being said, perhaps I missed the participation by the "Australian" SEAL team in Pakistan. Wink

We pull our weight, and more so for our size. I do however think our
Gov't pussyfoots around a bit with ROE et al.

Re SEALS, they see to be good at killing people, after the last one
where the person being rescued was killed, maybe this time when they
went in to kill they might have ended up with a rescue / hostage !!! LOL

LOL until your ass puckers up! The USA Navy SEALS are the BEST of the BEST!! patriot patriot patriot

BTW, fuck you and have a nice day! Big Grin

Deo Vindice,

Don

Sons of Confederate Veterans Black Horse Camp #780

Posts: 1697 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 01 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

LOL until your ass puckers up! The USA Navy SEALS are the BEST of the BEST!! patriot patriot patriot

Yep, that's why when they were raised in the 80's, they were based / modelled
on the SAS CT Teams.

Not saying they are very good, even they will say the SAS are good.

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by 500N:
[/QUOTE
Re SEALS, they see to be good at killing people, after the last one
where the person being rescued was killed, maybe this time when they
went in to kill they might have ended up with a rescue / hostage !!! LOL
.[/QUOTE")

OK Nigel. We can agree that the SEALS are indeed good at killing people!

Deo Vindice,

Don

One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

on the SAS CT Teams.

Not saying they are very good, even they will say the SAS are good.

I thought you were ex-military ...

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3464 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CCMDoc:
I thought you were ex-military ...

Partly, a while a go now but I understand SF
and what goes on and dick pulling is best left to the media !!! LOL

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
shame

Now we can return to the subject at hand.

Posts: 3464 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
<generalwar>
posted
CCMDoc: It would be a good idea to get the person you are dealing with at Cabelas to put it in writing that the work is being completed at the makers factory overseas as they advised.

If the gun turns out to be not to your liking, and it wasn't worked on where they said it was at least you would have a nice civil case to remedy any grievances beyond just a refund. Which at that point would be justified given the laps around the track they cost you.

Hopefully it all works out tu2

One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
There should be some fresh proof marks or at least a repair stamp IF they do the same as the English.

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Brooks:
There should be some fresh proof marks or at least a repair stamp IF they do the same as the English.

Now that is an interesting point you mention.

I would like to know if they do or not.

One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
This isn't complete but it's the best online collection of proof marks I know of. It doesn't show any marks for the Itialians re-proofs.

https://store.bluebookinc.com/...rearm/Proofmarks.pdf

Surely re-barreling rates fresh proofing!

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
This isn't complete but it's the best online collection of proof marks I know of. It doesn't show any marks for the Itialians re-proofs.

I would hope so. Since all EU countries are supposedly under the same laws re proof,
I would have thought so.

<generalwar>
posted
quote:
quote:

I would hope so. Since all EU countries are supposedly under the same laws re proof,
I would have thought so.

If the barrels were replaced at the factory it should have new proofs FOR SURE.

Unless of course it was re-sleeved and the old monoblock was used again, in that case you should see a double stamping.

Personally, if this was my gun I would have opted for a refund and moved on.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would hope so. I am not 100% up on what EU countries do except the UK so it will be interesting.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Doc: Eagerly awaiting your report when you have it in hand.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16532 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
As of a few minutes ago, my Sabatti is on route to the Cabelas from which I bought it after rebarreling and proper re-regulating.

We'll see when back in their hands. If those issues weren't addressed as promised, I won't accept it and will decide about a refund vs. a properly built replacement.

Should know by end of the week.

One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
On the edge of my seat. Wink Thanks for the update. tu2 Hope all works out.

Deo Vindice,

Don

One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
quote:
On the edge of my seat. Wink

Eeker rotflmo

quote:
Thanks for the update. tu2 Hope all works out.

Me too, particularly since it seems I am being scammed by someone else for about the same amount as the Sabatti cost me. Frowner Mad

One of Us
Picture of Nemo .450
posted Hide Post
I hope this turns out right for you Doc.

tu2

------------------------------------------------------------------------

He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him. -- John 3:36

http://www.accurateinnovations.com - http://aigunstocks.com/home-2/

NRA Life Member
DSC
SCI
DRSS - STILL waiting on MY "Taksdale" .450NE or a refund... coffee

"Young knight, learn to love God and revere women, so that your honour grows. Practice knighthood and learn the Art that dignifies you, and brings you honour in wars." (Johannes Liechtenauer, 14th century)

Posts: 279 | Location: North-East Georgia | Registered: 12 November 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
[/QUOTE]
on the SAS CT Teams.

Not saying they are very good, even they will say the SAS are good.[/QUOTE]

The SAS are good so are the SBS. BUT they SEALS were not "raised" up in the 80's the SEALS were operating heavily during the Vietnam war.

Are you referring to SEAL team 6 the counter terrorism team? If so they give and take from multiple international teams just like all of the other Spec Ops CT teams do.

One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nemo .450:
I hope this turns out right for you Doc.

tu2

I hope everything turns out right for all involved in both endeavors ...

One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
Glad to hear your Sabatti is getting closer to you. As you know, I am one of many who are VERY interested in what you get back. I hope a full report will be forthcoming once you collect it and I too wish you good fortune with it..

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
Delivered sometime yesterday, found it leaning against the wall in my living room when I got home after midnight.

Sabatti green hard case packed well in cardboard box.

Barrels with forend attached liberally coated with oil in a clear plastic sleeve sealed on both ends. Same with receiver/stock.

Work order: "Replaced and fit new barrel. Test fired OK"

No test target ...

The work order had my address and that of EAA in Rockledge, Florida and none other.

Took both out and assembled them then examined the barrels.

Proper round crowns, lands sharp to the end.

Barrel length 23 9/16"

Hmmmm ...

Would those of you with Sabatti doubles do me a favor and measure them for me? I thought they were 24" and I'm pretty sure mine had 24" barrels ...

Ramp for front sight looks to be a bit shorter now than when it left my hands ...

Looked again at the lands on the left barrel, 1:00 - 3:00 position if looking from the muzzle ...

Not so sure they are as sharp as the rest ...

Now somone had mentioned that it should be re-proofed if it was re-barreled. I don't know a damn about proof marks but there are two side by side on each barrel - remind me of "King and Queen" in a chess set. I printed out the proof mark pages posted elsewhere but frankly, I'm too tired to start deciphering.

Upon measuring, remeasuring, taking photos of the barrels, looking at photos I took before shipping it out - I then called the Gun Library manager at the Cabelas I bought it from and politely told him of my findings.

It seems to me that they shortened and re-crowned the barrels, not replaced them ...

I should mention that he and higher-up leadership in Cabelas have been extremely supportive throughout and have many times offered to give me a new Sabatti which met my approval (and pay all of the shipping registering etc. fees that getting a new one would mean in NJ) or to refund my money. I got the sense that they REALLY wanted this to work out and for me to be happy. BTW, I have never "threatened" posting anything on any site regardless of the outcome so I don't think it was a show to protect them from bad press on my part.

In any event, I was asked to hold onto it until Monday. The Manager would like to speak with the corporate bosses and ask if I should send it to the Cabelas of purchase or directly to Corporate for their inspection. The choice of replacement or refund is mine and eitehr way I would be compensated for all of the shenanigans and shipping, just a matter of where it should be sent.

So there you have it,

The Truth is What It Is.

As promised and as much as I hate to say it, it's been a frustating and very disappointing experience but I have to post this for all who are considering a Sabatti DR.

I really do like these Sabattis for everything but this one problem and am honestly considering the offer of a replacement ONLY IF the bores and crowns are perfect and it shoots excellently.

So let me ask those of you with Sabatti DR in DG calibers:

What is the actual length of the barrels on your double - just in case I am wrong...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My 450-400 barrels were dead on 24".

Posts: 1575 | Location: Either far north Idaho or Hill Country Texas depending upon the weather | Registered: 26 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
Why you dont go to the range a couple of days and shoot some rounds ?

If the rifle is accurate who cares one centimeter less of barrel lenght ?

L

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
Thanks Boxhead - I am not surprised and it simply confirms my suspicions.

In the words of the Manager at the Gun Library - "Here thy had a chance to rebuild their reputation and they pull somthing like this."

One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lorenzo:
Why you dont go to the range a couple of days and shoot some rounds ?

If the rifle is accurate who cares one centimeter less of barrel lenght ?

L

Lorenzo,

My drive to my range is a 2 hour one. I get too little free time to waste it since I know that they didnt regulate it after cutting the barrels. I say that because they didn't claim to regulate it and didn't supply a regulation target.

The barrel length isn't the problem, I am not willing to spend time testing something I have little faith in being "right".

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is unbelievable.

I am stunned - well, I'm not really, as it is the type of thing you would expect a company like this to do.

God help them for future sales.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Paul, At least in this case, the lesson learned won't cost you anything except time and frustration. Take the refund as extra cash for the November trip with Dad. Buy him a Gemsbok!

Posts: 20140 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
Paul, At least in this case, the lesson learned won't cost you anything except time and frustration. Take the refund as extra cash for the November trip with Dad. Buy him a Gemsbok!

Considering Karl's recent successes, pop may want an elephant!

I wanted this to work out so that he could use it to back me up on ele while I would use it with a scope on PG and without to back him up on leopard.

Oh well ...

One of Us
Picture of hunteratheart
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear about the situation. I have no words of comfort (as it sounds as though you had your heart set on this working out), other than to say there is a reason for everything whether we can understand it or not. May the right rifle is just around the bend.....

DRSS
Sabatti 450\400 NE
Merkel 140-2 500 NE

Posts: 668 | Location: WA | Registered: 24 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cane Rat
posted Hide Post
Guys,

It is a $5,500 double and they have attempted to make it right. 'Nuff said, I guess.

Posts: 2767 | Location: The Peach State | Registered: 03 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cane Rat:
Guys,

It is a $5,500 double and they have attempted to make it right. 'Nuff said, I guess.

No, it is a $5,500 double that they attempted to make right using a short cut method
just like they did when they built it.

All they have to do is do it right the first time and they will sell heaps of them.
As it is now, people are unsure whether to buy one as it is such a lottery.

FFS, it's not that fucking hard to do.

One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
Paul-

My condolences, but honestly, I'm not surprised. While I had hoped Sabatti would do the right thing, after learning about how EAA is handling repairs in CONUS, and now knowing what was done to your DR, Sabatti is permanently off my radar.

My Ele this September won't know it was a bolt gun rather than a DR that kills her.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Barrels on my rifle are 23 9/16" and it is the most accurate double rifle I own. Have two other more expensive doubles and the Sabatti outshoots both of them. Take it to the range. Good shooting. Smiler

Posts: 11 | Location: Green Hills of Eastern Ohio | Registered: 16 May 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by buford848:
Barrels on my rifle are 23 9/16" and it is the most accurate double rifle I own. Have two other more expensive doubles and the Sabatti outshoots both of them. Take it to the range. Good shooting. Smiler

Hi Buford,

If I had any faith that it had been regulated, I would.

But I don't.

No evidence in writing, no test target, no description.

One of Us
Picture of Cane Rat
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Cane Rat:
Guys,

No, it is a $5,500 double that they attempted to make right using a short cut method
just like they did when they built it.

All they have to do is do it right the first time and they will sell heaps of them.
As it is now, people are unsure whether to buy one as it is such a lottery.

FFS, it's not that fucking hard to do.

I was having trouble editing posts last night and wanted to add to my post but couldn't edit it and didn't intend for it to sound so terse. For the past several days this forum hasn't appeared right on my computer and has been missing most of the buttons for making and editing posts but it appears normal this morning.

I disagree somewhat as I think it is that hard to do and what we are seeing is what many of us were wary of from the beginning, the economic inability to produce a properly made and regulated double at that price point, especially given the amount of margin they are surely giving up to Cabelas. If you figure Cabelas has a 35%-40% margin then Sabatti is attempting to produce and sell their doubles for $3K or less. I am not surprised that when sent back to have the regulation corrected that they are simply cutting the barrels back a half an inch or so and re-regulating though if they were re-regulating properly and the rifle shot okay I would be fine with losing a half inch of barrel.

Paul, Mike and others I am sorry these rifles did not work out for you all. I know they have been an expensive disappointment.

Posts: 2767 | Location: The Peach State | Registered: 03 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
The barrels on my .450 are exactly 24 inches long. And both are dremeled out, as I have stated before.
I would be very interested to see if they re-regulated it after cutting and re-crowning. For those discussing proof marks, if the work was done in the USA, it would not be re-proofed nor marked as such, as we have no proof laws here. Send it to me and I will test it for regulation for you.

Posts: 17180 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
Several points:
1) I was told the double went back to Sabatti in Italy. Both the Cabelas Gun Room Manager as well as his boss believed the same;
2) I was told the barrels would be replaced and the double properly re-regulated. Cabelas folk believed the same;
3) The 2+ months it has been out of my hands lead us all to believe 1 & 2 were true;
4) Finally, there is absolutely no evidence that this double was regulated at all after "fixing" the barrels.

I would have been fine if I had been told they they were going to lop off the ends, re-crown and re-regulate the double. In fact I tried to hire J.J. Perodeau to do just that but he chose not to do such work on Sabattis given prior experiences.

So, after being mislead on the very issues promised to be addressed would you trust this particular double on an elephant hunt in Africa?

As I mentioned, I'm not completely put off of Sabattis, I may accept another as replacement, so long as the barrels are right and of is properly regulated.

One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
Let me also say that it was the inability to get this double to regulate with any of a variety of bullets that started this endeavor.

AND

Had this Sabattis been supplied with a test target demonstrating adequate regulation, I might have kept it ...

But it didn't ...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow ... this whole episode is stunningly stupid. Acknowledge there is a problem and freight the rifle back to Italy and back through US Cusoms and they are still cutting corners? How much does a paper target in Italy cost these days?

At some point it might be worth a trip to Enid, Oklahoma for an assessment. Having scored two Chapuis doubles, I'm glad I saved up a little longer and avoided this mess.

Best Regards,
Sid

All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
Alexis de Tocqueville

The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money.
Alexis de Tocqueville

Posts: 602 | Location: East Texas, USA | Registered: 16 June 2008Reply With Quote