THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Chapuis .22 Hornet Double Rifle
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Chapuis .22 Hornet Double Rifle
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
From JJ Perodeau's web site, Chapuis is going to offer .22 Hornet doubles. That would be an interesting plinker.

Posts: 362 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 25 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think Robert Peterson (of Peterson Publishing) had an English 22 hornet.

I always thought the 22 Hornet looked like a super srucken 450/400.

Someone is going to have to buy one of these and get a few groundhogs to charge. I would name the DVD of such an adventure "Stung to Death!"

Posts: 10839 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 7kongoni:
From JJ Perodeau's web site, Chapuis is going to offer .22 Hornet doubles. That would be an interesting plinker.

If they do it right and make it seriously petite that would be cool!

Mac

Posts: 1723 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
There was a falling block 22 Hornet build thread here on AR a few years ago, including Damascus steel for the action

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11006 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Would they make a set of barrels to interchange with for my 4-bore?
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
I could really get interested in putting together the cash for a well built .22 Hornet double.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
What a waste of steel and walnut; any DR less than 7mm is useless and even those are suspect.

Posts: 17106 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
What a waste of steel and walnut; any DR less than 7mm is useless and even those are suspect.

WOH, WOH, WOH.....don't go bringing reason and logic into any of our gun buying decisions!

Mac

Posts: 1723 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tempting.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mt Al
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by McKay:
quote:

WOH, WOH, WOH.....don't go bringing reason and logic into any of our gun buying decisions!

True 'dat!!

dpcd has obviously never had to face down an angry or wounded Montana ground squirrel that's intent on your death. First .22 Hornet barrel with a solid to break bone structures and anchor the gopher, second with a soft point to finish him off...if you're lucky.

Posts: 1064 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 21 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
A 22 hornet double could be a great flinch removing tool.

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27596 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Was talking to an AR member yesterday about his deer hunt last weekend; he used a 700 NE on a 6 point whitetail.
Overkill?
No such thing.
Underkill; very common.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have killed white tails with calibers ranging from .22 Hornet to .458 Win. Mag., WHO CARES.

Smaller caliber doubles, .22 Hornet/.25-20/.32-20/,30-30/.30-40 Krag/.38-55 all would have their place, especially in America. JMO.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Perhaps; but given the demand level for double rifles, and the calibers typically bought and used, I say that the realistic demand for such things is just above zero.
Of course those small calibers might be useful but no one is going to spend $6k and up on a plinker of a double rifle.
Ok, there is one guy out there.

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cal pappas:
Would they make a set of barrels to interchange with for my 4-bore?
Cal

The only problem would be that the barrels would be an inch and a half apart! Eeker

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12538 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Of course those small calibers might be useful but no one is going to spend $6k and up on a plinker of a double rifle.

I spent a bit less than that for a set of 25-20 barrels for my son's 410 SxS, so there is at least some market. My thoughts were that it is cheaper than a dedicated rifle, same length of pull and trigger feel as the 410, and a natural way to transition from point shooting a shotgun to using a DR in terms of muscle memory, all with zero recoil and blast, all while using a caliber with actual utility for small game. Not cheap but hopefully something we can use well in the coming years and that my kids can use with theirs eventually down the road.

I love big bore doubles, but this one will see a LOT more days afield.

DRSS

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, why are they made out of meat?"

Posts: 810 | Location: MT | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Perhaps; but given the demand level for double rifles, and the calibers typically bought and used, I say that the realistic demand for such things is just above zero.

There might not be a demand, but I have serious doubts that any gunsmith that can build such rifles are going to turn down the job of building one!

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:

As some may think the above quote is not a double rifle snob, but a caliber snob! Big Grin

ANY double rifle is worth owning if a person loves double rifles!

A person I know, who posts on AR has a .22 LR double rifle with a set of 410 barrels all in a fitted case with all the specialized tools for it's maintenance. I tried to buy it from him, and was told he would sell all his firearms before he sold that little jewel.

I have thought of building a double rifle drilling with the rifle barrels chambered for my wildcat cartridge (6mm coyote) a 256 Win mag case necked down to .243 bore, with the shot barrel for 3in 410 shotgun. This is a perfect set up for calling coyotes, bobcats and turkeys.

There is not a chambering that is a waste of time or money to own in a double rifle or drilling In my opinion! ..................................................However that is just my opinion, and not a mandate for anyone else to follow!
......................... old

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
CSMC built/builds a .22 cal double, but I can’t remember which .22 version. Last I saw one, it went for a pretty penny.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3433 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
The Hornet is a better option than the rimfire. Ammunition consistency can vary greatly in the rimfire.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yes, I am definitely a caliber snob. Read too much Elmer in my youth and it stuck.

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yes, I am definitely a caliber snob. Read too much Elmer in my youth and it stuck.

................... tu2
I get your meaning! He influenced me as well, but in my case any well made double rifle is worth twenty of any single barreled rifle.
I also love big bore rifles, bolt single shot and doubles, but I also love the little .22 rifles as well, and would dearly love to have a quality made .22 lr double rifle.

During WWII I supplied meat during food rationing for four families who all moved on my grand fathers ranch in the hill country of Texas while all the men were over seas fighting WWII. All with a .22 single shot, and a 410 shotgun. The little .22 killed a lot of white tail deer over about four years with well placed head shots, and the little 410 shotgun supplied a lot of birds and squirrels for the table. .22 and 410 shot ammo was about all you could get because the ammo makers were set up to supply the war effort with ammo.

My youngest son still has that little Winchester .22 single shot which I cut down to fit him when he was six yrs old. He is 54 yrs old today and 6ft 3in tall today and can't
shoot that little rifle but it is in his gun
vault none the less!
Never short the man who understands how to properly use a .22 rifle!
....................................................................... tu2

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would think a 30-30 would cover more ground as a lite rifle.

Posts: 1284 | Location: N.J | Registered: 16 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rimfire double guns and drillings:

http://www.hoferwaffen.com/hofer_1.php?lang=en

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
quote:

LOL

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3099 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think that rifle would be a lot of fun. Have also considered a .30-30 and even better a double in .303 British, but don't know of anyone making one. Would be a good cartridge for a double though.

Posts: 10008 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
JJ will have a 22 Hornet for display at the Dallas SC. It is a prototype that sold before it was completed but the owner is loaning it for display.

One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
A double in 7x30 Waters would be nice for whitetail and PG.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3433 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My mom is in a long term hospital stay so JJ and family delivered my new Chapuis 20 bore SXS to my home--it's really nice. I asked him how much interest there was in the new 22 Hornet double. He has orders for 4 or 5 so far so there are some of us who will buy an expensive "jackrabbit rifle" as he defined it. I will not be a buyer but I am looking forward to the fondling.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Ok, I admit I was wrong about the demand being a quantity of one.
Just proves that there are more people with more money than sense than I anticipated.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ok, I admit I was wrong about the demand being a quantity of one.
Just proves that there are more people with more money than sense than I anticipated.

It has been my experience that people with money attained it due to their insight and smartness (with the exception of those who inherited it) as well as common sense; and that they have a unique ability to determine value today and value in the future as opposed to the value expectations of the common man.

Posts: 348 | Location: South Carolina USA | Registered: 20 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lavaca:
I think that rifle would be a lot of fun. Have also considered a .30-30 and even better a double in .303 British, but don't know of anyone making one. Would be a good cartridge for a double though.

Come see me in Dallas or SCI. I have several new made 303's

Ken

DRSS, PP Chapter
Life NRA
Life SCI
Life DSC

Posts: 1327 | Location: PA | Registered: 06 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In years past I have had a number of older smaller doubles pass through my hands, 6.5x57, 25-35, 22 Savage. A even a SXS combination garden gun in 22lr x smooth bore 9mm rimfire. In smaller than 30cal cartridges the 7x57R seems to be the most popular but.... I also keep thinking of having a new made sub caliber put together.

Ken

DRSS, PP Chapter
Life NRA
Life SCI
Life DSC

One of Us
Picture of Roscoe Stephenson
posted Hide Post
I see nothing wrong with a .22 Hornet double rifle. In fact, here is a gorgeous Francotte DR in that caliber that was sold by Westley Richards back in 2004. It didn't take much time for it to attain the price of $30k or thereabouts. I was not the purchaser nor the seller. I just know what I saw in the listing.

I am a big fan of smaller bore DRs and have quite a few .303s and even a .240 Fl. Mag. H&H Royal Deluxe!

Curl

RoscoeStephenson.com

YOUR DOUBLE RIFLE IS YOUR BEST FRIEND.

Posts: 39 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 20 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ken,

How can I find you at DSC?

Posts: 10008 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
VERY nice Roscoe, I would hope the twist rate in your rifle or the Chapuis in the OP's opening post are fast enough to stabilize the 45 gr TSX bullets.

I have a pre-64 model 70 Super Grade in 22 Hornet and shoot that bullet, very effective on coyotes, I suspect a double in 22 Hornet would be great fun hunting the smaller African antelope.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Verney Carton booth. Number 4520

Ken

DRSS, PP Chapter
Life NRA
Life SCI
Life DSC

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
From JJ Perodeau's web site, Chapuis is going to offer .22 Hornet doubles. That would be an interesting plink

Churchill made double rifles, very few, in .22 Rimfire with no sights. they were not for fur but feather. In fact rifled barrel shot guns in truth. To shoot duck at eighty and one hundred yards

These if light enough, straight gripped and balanced would make interesting duck guns where legal.

Posts: 6815 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
My idea of the perfect hunt. . .
Hunting rabbits on foot in the West Texas mesquite with a 22LR double rifle. I'd add a Burris FastFire sight for my old eyes.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have an extra set of 30-30 barrels for my 28ga Chapuis Shotgun. They are 55 cm long and very light. I’m anticipating delivery of a Verney Carron 20Ga/303 British SXS in February. I like the medium caliber for double rifles as they get more use. I have a 450/400 DR that has only killed paper

Quick, Cheap, or Good: Pick Two

Posts: 2141 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote