THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    20 ga. DR Build thread. WE ARE DONE !!!!!!
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

20 ga. DR Build thread. WE ARE DONE !!!!!!
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of nitro450exp
posted
Hello All,

The link below will take you to the build thread of this project don't feel like doing everthing twice.

http://forums.nitroexpress.com...&page=0&fpart=1&vc=1

Enjoy
Nitro

Fixed link, Sorry !

"Man is a predator or at least those of us that kill and eat our own meat are. The rest are scavengers, eating what others kill for them." Hugh Randall
DRSS, BASA
470 Krieghoff, 45-70 inserts, 12 ga paradox, 20 ga DR Simson/Schimmel, 12 ga DR O/U Famars, 12 ga DR SXS Greener

Posts: 813 | Location: USA / RSA | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 72 | Location: Annapolis MD | Registered: 24 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boondoggle:
Your link didn't work for me.

BD,

I clicked on the link in your post and in the opening post and both

times it brought me to the thread at the other location, no difficulty.

I don't know enough to help you out though. Maybe give it another try?

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

I didn't see who you were having do the work? Please share.

One of Us
Picture of nitro450exp
posted Hide Post
Surestrike,

I plan to share the gunsmiths name with everyone, I have discussed this with him.
However I am unable to state anything about his work, as he has not actually started yet.
The extent of his work, has been to provide me with some measurements, and an inspection report of the donor action.
He also provided me some references and pictures of past work.
I was able to confirm the references, but the pictures do not substitute for actual product.
I feel confident enough, to undertake this project with the smith, and his communication has only strengthened this decision.
However I will reserve judgment and final decleration of his identity, until I am suitably educated about his skills and abilities, in order to do justice to all.

He is a member here and may decide to tune in after seeing this post.

Cheers
Nitro

"Man is a predator or at least those of us that kill and eat our own meat are. The rest are scavengers, eating what others kill for them." Hugh Randall
DRSS, BASA
470 Krieghoff, 45-70 inserts, 12 ga paradox, 20 ga DR Simson/Schimmel, 12 ga DR O/U Famars, 12 ga DR SXS Greener

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like it will be an awesome project!

What was the FN sxs you were looking at? The reason I ask is that I had a sidelock FN and was told by Geoffroy Gournet that they built the double rifles on the same action. That said, the Germans built some stout guns, so I think yours will be perfect. Beautiful blank too. Are you going to do open sights or a scope? Can't wait to see the progress.

-----------------------------------------
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived. -Henry David Thoreau, Walden

Posts: 891 | Location: Tanzania | Registered: 07 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nitro450exp
posted Hide Post
Storms

Open express sight, single blade.
The rib will have integrated talley bases.
Really looking forward to it, wish I could turn the clock forward a few months.
Can't comment of the FN it was offered to me by an AR member, but my request for more info was not answered.

Thanks
Nitro

DRSS, BASA

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nitro450exp:
Surestrike,

I plan to share the gunsmiths name with everyone, I have discussed this with him.
However I am unable to state anything about his work, as he has not actually started yet.
The extent of his work, has been to provide me with some measurements, and an inspection report of the donor action.
He also provided me some references and pictures of past work.
I was able to confirm the references, but the pictures do not substitute for actual product.
I feel confident enough, to undertake this project with the smith, and his communication has only strengthened this decision.
However I will reserve judgment and final decleration of his identity, until I am suitably educated about his skills and abilities, in order to do justice to all.

He is a member here and may decide to tune in after seeing this post.

Cheers
Nitro

Oh... The suspense is killing me!!!

One of Us
Picture of nitro450exp
posted Hide Post
BTT

Updated 7/14 with ammo information.

Thanks
Nitro

DRSS, BASA

One of Us
Picture of nitro450exp
posted Hide Post
BTT,

Updated on 7/21
Gunsmith has informed me I am next.
He does not do multiple projects, so he will finish up the rifle he is working on then start on mine.
I have been told I will be using it for opening day, Nov 15.

I will keep the updates coming.

Nitro

DRSS, BASA

One of Us
Picture of nitro450exp
posted Hide Post
BTT for update.
See link above.

Cheers
Nitro

DRSS, BASA

One of Us
Picture of nitro450exp
posted Hide Post
BTT for Update on 9/7.
Still no pictures, but work will start in earnest, by weeks end. I Hope.

Cheers
Nitro

DRSS, BASA

One of Us
Picture of nitro450exp
posted Hide Post
Hello,

Sorry guy's Gunsmith and I have some personal issues to deal with so no updates.
Family comes first !

Nitro

DRSS, BASA

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi nitro Hope this finds you well and things are working out. pm or call me and we will see if we can get a time to shoot plates at my club Clint

Posts: 390 | Location: out side lansing mi | Registered: 28 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nitro450exp
posted Hide Post
Update 11/8/2010

Pictures added of the work done so far.

http://forums.nitroexpress.com...in=162146#Post171168

Enjoy

DRSS, BASA

One of Us
Picture of nitro450exp
posted Hide Post
03/02/2011 Update.

Finally some good progress pictures.

See link in above post.

Enjoy.

Nitro

DRSS, BASA

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Maybe by the spring shoot Clint

Posts: 390 | Location: out side lansing mi | Registered: 28 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nitro450exp
posted Hide Post
Update 04/01/2011

Not April Fools day, April Drool's day.
Now we are getting along !!!.

Link to build thread last post.

Enjoy !

Nitro

Next is wood work and then Regulation.

DRSS, BASA

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Really looking good!

Keep us posted

Jeff

One of Us
Picture of nitro450exp
posted Hide Post
Update 5/12/2011

Well got some update pictures.

Pic.1
Extractor being reamed.

Pic. 2
Extractor being cut.

Pic. 3
New hinge pin being cut, donor gun was off face.

Pic. 4
New hinge pin installed.

Next:
Put the barrels back on face make a new extractor, then wood work.

Summary of work to date:

Barrel blanks contoured.
Old barrels deconstructed.
Monoblock drilled and tapped.
New barrels set into monoblock.
Custom upper, lower and 1/4 ribs made.
Custom front swivel and sight base made.
1/4 Rib shaped and cut for Talley rings.
Barrels joined and wedge set in.
Barrels struck.
New extractor made and cut in.
Action rejoined.

Enjoy Nitro

Edited: Ejector changed to extractor.

DRSS, BASA

One of Us
Picture of nitro450exp
posted Hide Post
Update 05/13/2011

I also made a custom sight base to mount a Docter 3.5 MOA red dot sight.

Milled down a Talley ring and tig welded a dovetail mount from a Docter Colt mount to it.

So I will have a removeable Docter mount for this project.

Pics of my mount.

The finished 1/4 rib on my gun.

Enjoy.
Nitro

DRSS, BASA

one of us
posted Hide Post
Looks like really nice work.

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Looking good Nitro! Can't wait to see it down at 4K!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nitro450exp
posted Hide Post
Mac

It should be a peach on piggies.

Nitro

DRSS, BASA

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What does something like this cost in a working rifle without a lot of embellishment? Are we talking about a ~$2K entry point or something more like ~$6K? Can these be built cost effectively to compete with a Sabatti pricepoint?

I can see some advantages for use in North America versus one of the classic African styled doubles. I'm thinking this might be nicer then a low pressure .45 bore Sabatti though I may end up with a rifled barrel for a 12 gauge shotgun.

Best Regards,
Sid

All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
Alexis de Tocqueville

The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money.
Alexis de Tocqueville

Posts: 602 | Location: East Texas, USA | Registered: 16 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
In my experience and opinion building DRs from shotguns, all by hand, the labor costs will far exceed rifles built in Italy on a semi/production basis. Even considering all the hand work that still has to go into one. And when you get to the big Nitros, I am reluctant to build those on shotgun actions. Most seem too small and light for long term use. I stick to smaller and/or low pressure cartridges. I know that most NE ammo is relatively low pressure, but with the large base diameter, you are putting more back thrust on the shotgun frame than I am comfortable with. Some German shotguns are an exception and I know Merkels have bee converted to some big stuff; they seem to build heavier shotguns than most.

Posts: 17107 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
nitro450exp - What will you use for ammo? I normally shoot deer with sabot slugs in my TCR-87 with a fully rifled 20-ga barrel. However, I have some cases made by Rocky Mountain Cartridge that I load with big lead bullets. They weight 720 grains but I had some hollow pointed on a lathe with a 3/8-inch drill for a remaining weight of 550 grains. I load the 720-grain bullets to 1,000 fps and the 550-grain hollow points to 1,330 fps. In the photo are two recovered bullets. The well mushroomed bullet was a 720-grain which was shot into a dirt embankment. The one to its right is a 550-grain hollow point recovered from a deer. It was bedded down and shot in the upper chest/lower neck and the bullet was found in the gut area after it went though some vertibre. Any lead front of the base of the hollow broke off.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Whoops, wrong photo -- The well mushroomed bullet is not shown, only a new hollow point bullet the hollow point bullet found in the deer.

One of Us
Picture of nitro450exp
posted Hide Post
Iowadon

I will regulate it with factory sabot ammo.
But will be trying to work up a load similar to the one you describe.
I have some 1 0z full bore slugs, I will try them in plastic hulls and some Alcan brass hulls I have.
I will eventually order some rocky Mountain brass.
I may have to get some slugs from you to try.
What is the rate of twist in you barrel ?

Thanks
Nitro

DRSS, BASA

One of Us
Picture of nitro450exp
posted Hide Post
Sid

I will have allot less than a Sabatti into this gun.

Nitro

DRSS, BASA

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think your going to have a better gun than a Sabatti too. tu2

And its unique, one of a kind, yours alone, and no one will ever show up at the range with one just like it.
I like that part the most.

Cheers, John

Give me COFFEE and nobody gets hurt

Posts: 1608 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 04 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nitro450exp
posted Hide Post
Update 05/16/2011

Well progress will be slowing.
Wood work begins, then action is off to be colored, then joining can be finished.

Pic.1

Extractor being made.

Pic.2
Extractor being fitted.

New lockplate being made old one was worn beyond repair and contibuting to the off face condition.

Pic.3

Finished lock plate before fitting.

Pic.4.

Enjoy Nitro

DRSS, BASA

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nitro450exp:
Sid

I will have allot less than a Sabatti into this gun.

Nitro

Thanks Nitro!!! Just what I needed to know.

Best Regards,
Sid

All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
Alexis de Tocqueville

The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money.
Alexis de Tocqueville

Posts: 602 | Location: East Texas, USA | Registered: 16 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What i would like to know what would be an good
action to used for a donor? Also the price?

Posts: 190 | Location: new castle,de. | Registered: 30 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nitro450exp
posted Hide Post
big will

I used a Simson. 1956
This is the same action as a JP Sauer and a Merkel from the period.
It has cocking indicaters, intercepting sears, Greener cross bolt and side clips and is of the Anson Deely design.
Cost is a funtion of condition. I paid under $500 for this gun.

The post war German guns are well made, the pre war guns are also well made.

Whatever tickles your fancy.

Nitro

DRSS, BASA

One of Us
Picture of nitro450exp
posted Hide Post
Update 6/8/2011

Well Memorial day and what not aside, we are getting to the next phase.

This is wood inletting.

Then off the get new case colors and final fitting of the barrels.
Proofing, and then regulating, sighting.
Black barrels and final once over.

Thanks
Nitro

DRSS, BASA

One of Us
Picture of nitro450exp
posted Hide Post
Hello All.

UPDATE 6/20.

Wood Shaping

More shaping.

Final inletting fit, nice and tight.

One coat of oil, so far.

Other side.

Steel PG cap and decelerator old english pad in black, and stock is done.

I am getting very excited.

Nitro

DRSS, BASA

One of Us
Picture of nitro450exp
posted Hide Post
UPDATE 07/06/11

Good news for me on 4th of July.
New pictures arrived.

Stock is 80% sealed, Grip cap installed, butt pad installed and sling swivel done.

We are making 2 forends one splinter and one semi-beaver modeled off my K gun.

Forend wood match is really good, considering different sources.

Forearm inletting of the iron.

Well that is it for now.

Enjoy
Cheers
Nitro

DRSS, BASA

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looking good! Clint

One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
Wow!

I have no artistic abilities whatsoever so I am doubly impressed by such beautiful work done so well.

Congratulations on the journey and its successes so far and those yet to come.

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3460 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote