Tools

358 GREMLIN (358-6.5 Grendel)
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted
Sorry for the bad pic...More to come.

Flanked by a 250 grain hornady and a 180 grain hornady

Here is a Cat that I have been bouncing around in my head a bit...

Kinda like the 9x39 but a better case (lapua) and more capacity.

A simple neck up gives 20 thou shoulders.

Case length: 38.7mm or 1.524"
Case rim: .441"
Case rim thickness: 0.059"
Case base: .439"
Case shoulder diameter: .428"
Case taper: 0.65Ã each side
Case shoulder angle: 30Ã
Case maximum loaded neck diameter: .378"
Maximum loaded overall length specific AR15 magazines: 2.265"
Maximum peak operating pressure: 50,000 psi.

Below is the parent case the 6.5 Grendel

What I like about the GREMLIN is it is a niche between the small bore ar15 carts and the big'ns like the 450 bushmaster.

the Grendel has 32 grains capacity so add a couple grains for the larger neck dia. and the bonus of less bullet in the case for mid weight 35's

Performance wise it should be 35 Rem+ ballistics and it would be great to see if it could reach 2400 fps with 180 grain spire points like the one loaded here. At ar15 oal the 180 Hornady does not even fill the neck up.

The 225 nosler Accubond with its higher BC would be interesting for long range stuff.

This IMHO would be a great thin skinned large game AR15 hunting round with the range of all practical hunting distances (250 yards). If the 35 Rem has been doing it for 100 years this should be great as well.

the shorter 35 bullets with their lower FIV are ideal for this concept.
Not to mention all the cheap or premium pistol bullets.

Can you imagine a high capacity 26 round clip full of 35 Rem plus power! Talk about a woods gun!

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27596 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of hcpookie
posted Hide Post
Boom stick I like it! I'm working on a clone of the Russian 9x39 myself. I am really intrigued by the possibilities this could present for deer-sized game. I think it would also be a good home defense round.

I thought of using the Grendel brass but it seemed cost prohibitive for my needs, so I'm going to be using normal 7.62x39 and fireform it to shape.

What would you do to ream the barrel? The only thing I can think of would be to use a Grendel reamer with a removeable pilot, and substitue with a .35 sized pilot. I suppose reloading dies could be reamed at the neck to fit, otherwise you'd have to resize the neck at every load.

=================
My Gun Projects Home - including the Pink and Blue AK-74:

http://pookieweb.dyndns.org:61129

Posts: 18 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 14 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Right on the money...

The Grendel is good brass with a better capacity.

depending on the projectile close to mid range hunting and defense.

Get a 9x39 Ruger ranch rifle and you are most of the way there.

Posts: 27596 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of us_dragunov
posted Hide Post
Ummm this may be a dumb question...but what 9x39 Ruger ranch rifle? I didn't know they made one. Do you have a link?

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Brain fart... I meant 7.62x39

Ruger is selling this caliber in the Mini Ranch Rifle

http://www.ruger.com/Firearms/FAProdView?model=5806&return=Y

I would do a 20" barrel

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
Big GrinBoom Stick! Let me know if you want to use my 9(.358)x 41, deep throated reamer and gages. popcorn Serious offer fishingroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CRUSHER
posted Hide Post
I made one of these in 338 grendal worked great chopped it and went with something different but it was fun while it lasted.

VERITAS ODIUM PARIT

Posts: 1624 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 04 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
thanks for the offer...

cant do anything right now Frowner

found some interesting info here...

http://pookieweb.dyndns.org:61129/Groza/9x39/9x39_info.htm

Picture of hcpookie
posted Hide Post
That link looks familiar... Big Grin

I've actually collected some pics of 35x30 conversions from this very forum! Wink

I also have a line on getting the measurements from actual Russian ammo... slowly but surely. With any luck, by this Fall or perhaps Winter, I'll have the specs for actual 9x39 ammo. With any luck. It looks like it is going to be REALLY REALLY close to what you have there in the Gremlin.

I've read from a gunsmith that looked into obtaining some ammo that if a large enough amount of ammunition were to be purchased, the ammo mfr. would be willing to ship it. That would be interesting if the factory load were available to us! It is interesting to see so many people reinvent this cartridge - there are at least 5 or 6 different conversions (both here and elsewhere) that make this such an intriguing round. I would really be interested to get some chrono reports about it.

=================
My Gun Projects Home - including the Pink and Blue AK-74:

http://pookieweb.dyndns.org:61129

Posts: 18 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 14 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
http://books.google.com/books?...CYBw&ved=0CC4Q6AEwAA

Now in cartridges of the world thanks to fireball168