Find
Notify
Tools

Your Favorite copper remover
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted
What is everyone's favorite or most-used copper remover? Barnes? Sweets?

Was inspecting my .30-06 throat and noticed a good amount of what looks like copper fouling. I normally use Hoppe's #9 and Wipeout foaming. But open to suggestions as most of these cleaners are available locally. I do have JB Bore Paste as well.

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
KG-12. Accept no substitutes...

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
+1 KG12.

Never seen better.

DRSS

Posts: 1892 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Definitely KG 12. Best stuff I ever used. KG 2 bore polish also works ok but takes further work / time to remove residues after use.

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 1992 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
Never got the hang of KG-12, So, I just keep throat scrubbed with Bore Tech Eliminator (plastic pistol brush) followed by KROIL patch to clean up the rest. Normal bore cleaning routine follows using BTE, KROIL, then KG-2, KG-3, etc. Since a partially fouled bore works for my own rifles' accuracy, I rarely resort to J-B use, but when I want to get back to squeaky-clean that's what I do use. Wipe-Out is a last resort for me -- messy.

Posts: 4848 | Location: Clute, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For my big bores,Wipe-out or Break-free foam cleaners followed by JB.I will do this when accuracy falls off.For my 308,JB every 60rds.When I get back from the range I will use Shooter's choice on a patch then on a brush passed two three times for any rifle.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
I use KG SF-112. It is not maybe as fast as KG-12 with copper removing, but it is useful against carbon fouling too. It is copper.carbon remover in one product.

Works very well for me.

Jiri

Posts: 2067 | Location: Czech Republic | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kroil first, then WipeOut. Foam 'er up and leave it a few hours. Patch out, done. Too easy.

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted Hide Post
Patch-out after each shooting session and then Wipe-Out once or twice a year..

NRA Benefactor.

Life is tough... It's even tougher when you're stupid... John Wayne

Posts: 1957 | Location: The Three Lower Counties (Delaware USA) | Registered: 13 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Great, Thanks for the responses! I had never heard of some of these products. Nice to see positive reviews of new products that help us shooters out.

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use both Patch Out and Wipeout together. No more bore scrubbing.

Posts: 444 | Location: North Pole, Alaska | Registered: 28 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wipe Out....

If I get a bad bore gun like a double rifle or old collectable Win. that's really ugly I will use my stash of "Blue Goop", and old bench restors recipe...One quart of 25% commercial Amonia, one cup of Hydrogen Peroxide, and toss in a copper bullet or penny to turn the mixture blue if you must...Don't leave this stuff in the bore more than 20 minutes, wipe out dry and oil profusely when done..pay attention.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41758 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Tried out KG-12 today and I am impressed with it. Cleaned a few of my rifles this afternoon and it worked great.

Finished up with MPro7 and I think that will be my go to oil now as well.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
For long term storage - Eezox.

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
Buglemintoday:

KG-12 (copper remover) works great. I can also recommend KG SF-112 made by the same company. It is new product, copper and carbon remover in one product. Made on army request.

Jiri

Posts: 2067 | Location: Czech Republic | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Thanks Opus and Jiri.

Jiri - Thank you I will order some of that to try as well.

one of us
posted Hide Post
For strictly copper removable I like Wipe Out. But I do not use it in Gas Guns.
Remclean and J&B Bore Paste are the two best Ultimate bore cleaners IMHO.
I have confirmed this in extensive testing on several barrels with a bore scope.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I use Kroil oil mixed with fine valve lapping compound.This also is great for beaking in mew barrels.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bore Tech Eliminator--a non-ammonia based copper cutter that is very strong and can be left in the bore. I also like Wipeout.

Posts: 3701 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dry bore previously cleaned with Shooter's Choice to remove the carbon followed with Sweet's 7.62 Copper Solvent. Sweets will damage your barrel if left too long. Its all chemical action. Use it until the patches come out white.

Use Wipeout in the past and its OK.

One of Us
Picture of JabaliHunter
posted Hide Post
Either KG4 or KG12. Patch out also works

Posts: 712 | Location: England | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've been using Hoppe's Black Copper Cleaner lately.Man that stuff is great, http://www.hoppes.com/black/ho...black-copper-cleaner

Posts: 359 | Location: Corpus Christi,Texas | Registered: 19 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
White Ammonia from the drug store. For copper only.

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
Whipe Out....

If I get a bad bore gun like a double rifle or old collectable Win. that's really ugly I will use my stash of "Blue Goop", and old bench restors recipe...One quart of 25% commercial Amonia, one cup of Hydrogen Peroxide, and toss in a copper bullet or penny to turn the mixture blue if you must...Don't leave this stuff in the bore more than 20 minutes, wipe out dry and oil profusely when done..pay attention.

I,ve heard of this before. Why would you add copper to a copper removing substance ? Confused

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by craigster:
quote:
Whipe Out....

I,ve heard of this before. Why would you add copper to a copper removing substance ? Confused

If the solution turns blue it tells you it is removing copper, not many products prove they work before you use them Big Grin
Seriously, maybe it conditions the product, good question though?

Posts: 3826 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
Please visit this web, it is copper remover test:

http://www.coretacsolutions.co...cts_KG_KG12_TEST.htm

One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jiri:

Yes I have seen this test report, that's why I got some KG-12 when I had a 6.5-06 that coppered up the barrel.
I think we are a bit puzzled as to why Ray suggests tossing in a bullet or penny to turn the solution blue in the first place. Maybe just a way of identifying the solution that he calls "Blue Goop".
It sure sounds as though it will tear into any copper in the barrel.

Posts: 3826 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of swaincreek
posted Hide Post
Wipe Out is my favorite.

Posts: 160 | Location: Lakeland Fl . | Registered: 16 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The last time I researched copper cutters, Bore Tech Eliminator came out on top. Precision Shooting published an article and the author tested all the copper cutters and used a bore scope to determine the results. That was what, 10 years ago?

Anyway, after reading here and researching a little, I ordered the suite of KG-12 stuff......

Posts: 3701 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I recently bought a Lyman borecam and scoped the barrels of the six rifles I shoot chambered in 7mm-08, 30-06 and 338 WM. I use Patchout and Wipeout together for my routine cleaning and am happy to report no copper is present in any of my barrels. I live in Alaska and cannot get Boretech Eliminator nor have I ever found KG-12 up here. So, if any of you only have access to Patchout/Wipeout, no worries...it really works.

Posts: 444 | Location: North Pole, Alaska | Registered: 28 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good barrels don't copper foul.

velocity is like a new car, always losing value.
BC is like diamonds, holding value forever.

Posts: 1650 | Location: , texas | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by swampshooter:

I'm not in complete agreement with that.

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchlambert:
quote:

In general I agree with SS, but I do have one custom barrel that fouls fast - but it is still an accurate barrel.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AnotherAZWriter:
quote:
Originally posted by butchlambert:
quote:

In general I agree with SS, but I do have one custom barrel that fouls fast - but it is still an accurate barrel.

Mine very seldom foul after I found the reason for the main cause of coppering. I can't remember shooting a factory barrel in many years, but I have shot and hunted with a great deal of customs.
I've got a Lederer barrel coming and have high hopes for it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
So Butch, what you're saying is a crap barrel is the main cause of coppering? Sounds right to me.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I didn't say that. A lapped custom barrel will normally only copper until the fluff from the chambering reamer left in the throat is eliminated. The old fashion way was to shoot and clean until it quit fouling. Take a bronzr cleaning brush, wrap 000 steel wool around it. Put it in a slow speed hand drill and message the throat for no longer than 10 seconds. It is now broken in. Occasionally a barrel will get out that the reamer or cutter chattered while rifling. You need to send those back before chambering.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
ok, got it. thanks.

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Opus1:
For long term storage - Eezox.

I don't know what that has to do with the original question but I agree with the above. I did a test a few years(10) ago and Eezox was far better than the others.

As far as KG-12, it is the best copper remover that I have used.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jiri:

This test is not accurate when it comes to Breakfree foam cleaner..I have used Break Free foam and it is very effective.It is similar if not better than Wipe-Out.I agree that most of the others listed are not effective.I've used a few of the others listed and to give them the same rating as Break free foam cleaner is a joke.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Whipe Out....

Ray, let me ask again, why the penny ?