New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cameroon self guided hunt
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like quite an adventure. The experience is of more value than the body count. Thanks for sharing.

Posts: 114 | Location: Germany | Registered: 18 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by camshaft:

The King was not actually in residence when you were there, but the head of the "Dogaries" a subset of slaves that over time have become the most important group of people in the north.

Cam I would be interested in hearing more about life of the people there like the king and his people and his slaves please. tu2

Posts: 3430 | Registered: 24 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I do not wish to hijack Jerry's thread. So I will start a new thread on Cameroun Kingdom.
cam

Posts: 345 | Location: Cameroun, South Africa | Registered: 19 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Posted new thread.
Cam

Posts: 345 | Location: Cameroun, South Africa | Registered: 19 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow! This is my dream hunt. Some day!

Except for the stuff getting stolen part. That kinda sucks.

Posts: 567 | Location: southern Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 08 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This was the hunt report I wanted to read. I've beeninterested in Cams Cameron hunts. Looks interesting, but tough.

Posts: 156 | Location: Preferably in the woods with my Verney-Carron .450/400 NE double rifle | Registered: 07 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of P-A Åhlén
posted Hide Post
Fantastic report, thanks for sharing

Posts: 292 | Location: Northernmost Sweden | Registered: 17 July 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
Part 3 -final installment
Day 15 continued. the drive from King Cith to NG is normally about 5 hours. it took us almost 7 as we stopped once to do a roadside rebuild of the Hilux diesel fuel pump and once to refill the radiator after the truck overheated on a REALLY long steep, uphill climb.

on arrival in NG about 1PM we went direct to the only motel in town with air conditioning. it was about 1 1/2 stars but at least it was cool. my shower didn't work but the manager thoughtfully sent over a big bucket that i filled with water to clean up. amazingly we had sat TV. all the channels were in French except 1. Channel 2 was from Riyahd(sp??) Saudia Arabia with fairly old American movies( such as Speed) with arabic subtitles! mid afternoon we were invited to lunch with friends of Cam who run the Lutheran medical mission and outreach for Cameroon and CAR. Phillip Nelson and his lovely wife June are 2 of the nicest people i have ever met and their dedication to a very daunting task is remarkable. they are from North Dakota but have spent most of their lives in Cameroon.
Day 16. Eureka- my shower started working. as an aside both the water and power in NG came and went on an irregular basis. i had mentioned to Phillip the previous day that i would like to see the hospital/clinic he manages( the Lutheran mission there is jointedly operated by the American Lutheran church and a Lutheran church from Norway). Being an anesthesiologist for 35 years, i was really curious what the OR was like. well, have seeing the massive amount of work they do under somewhat conditions, i am completely in awe. the next time a surgeon complains about the OR being to hot( at 65F), I AM GOING TO SHOW HIM ON MY IPAD WHAT REAL HEAT IS LIKE! the OR's were 82-87F, dark and open to the outside air. abdominal surg was going on in this room and the door to the corridor was open

an OR in between cases.

the recovery room

we boarded the train at 6 PM for the long haul to NSI.
Day 17. arrived about 10 AM, victim of an attempted mugging at the train stain while sitting in a taxi in the train station gridlock. no harm, no fouls( very lucky)- back to the hotel were we stayed on the way in. Daniel went to the airport late tonight to pick up 2 Danes( on of whom is an AR poster). we met them the next morning at breakfast and spent a good part of the day BS's over beer in the hotel bar. they headed to the train at 5PM and we headed to the airport at the same time. the long schlep home began but since i had no luggage it was easy transiting. i hope Jan and his buddy are successful- they are headed direct to the river camp and were really nice guys.
Conclusions: lessons learned the hard way
1. NEVER, EVER leave a baggage check in area without checking your claim check and seeing your name, flight number and final destination is correct
2. NEVER, EVER believe an Aw Fu--ed head cabin steward when he tells you "Oui, monsieur, it is no problem. we have radioed ahead and your luggage will be taken care of"( unless of, course, he means stolen in a war zone, third world airport)
3. when life gives you lemons, make lemonade. roll with the punches
4. either wear your hunting boots or carry them on the plane.
would i do this hunt again? ABSOLUTELY! BUT REALIZE THIS IS NOT YOUR AVERAGE Land Cruiser safari. you will get out of it what you are capable of putting into it. i wanted an adventure- and i got it in spades.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13143 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well done jdollar
Excellent report, thoroughly enjoyed reading it.

Posts: 167 | Location: Kuwait | Registered: 14 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very unique and interesting report. Thanks for sharing your experience with us.

Posts: 800 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 05 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
So we can assume another trip down Dealy Plaza the wrong way, with Mrs Retreever shrieking loudly is not going to excite you again?

Keith

What counts is what you learn after you know it all!!!

Posts: 711 | Location: York,Pa | Registered: 27 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Pulicords
posted Hide Post
An incredible adventure Jerry! Congrats and thanks for sharing. I wish I had the cojones to try something like this, but maybe the sound of yours clanging scared off that big bull eh? Wink

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Tanzania 2012: http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/8331015971
Saskatoon, Canada 2013: http://forums.accuratereloadin...4121043/m/7171030391
Las Pampas, Argentina 2014: http://forums.accuratereloadin...4107165/m/1991059791

Posts: 260 | Location: Scottsdale, AZ | Registered: 19 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dulcinea:
So we can assume another trip down Dealy Plaza the wrong way, with Mrs Retreever shrieking loudly is not going to excite you again?

Keith

Keith, after what this trip put me through, Nothing is going to bother me- even Mike's driving in downtown Dallas the wrong way on a one way street in the middle of the night!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
JD,

Thanks for taking the time to post this, really enjoyed your report. Glad you made it back safely,
and glad you had such a great experience! The animals are awesome, and really well earned, I know that means a lot.. What an adventure!

Butch

Posts: 558 | Location: texas | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jack D Bold
posted Hide Post
Jerry,

Way to go sir, certainly the road less traveled. Glad your adventure was so rewarding.

Would you do it again? Any advise for those who are considering this trip?

Thanks for sharing,

"You only gotta do one thing well to make it in this world" - J Joplin

Posts: 1129 | Registered: 10 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
i would definitely do it again but because of timing issues, it would probably not be for 1 1/2 years- and i am a bit uncertain if i could pull it off at age 67. having said that, the guys will adjust the pace to whatever you can tolerate, so it would be doable. the main thing is you just have to realize this is NOT an easy hunt and you get out of it what you can put into it...no more, no less.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Oh, my ... reading of your most excellent adventure ... (Bravo !) it just hit me ... my book must not have made it to Daniel .. ????

Posts: 1534 | Location: Alberta/Namibia | Registered: 29 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some lady in Bangui is enjoying it though, along with 4 cameras, 1 nice watch, 1 GPS, and numerous sunglasses and presents Jerry was kind enough to carry over for me to give to the staff!
Cam

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by scruffy:
Oh, my ... reading of your most excellent adventure ... (Bravo !) it just hit me ... my book must not have made it to Daniel .. ????

you are right, Scruffy. i read the book( excellent BTW) then put it in my check in luggage, never to be seen again.

One of Us
Picture of Brain1
posted Hide Post
Some ahole is also walking around with alot of meds that could have made my life easier while I was there.
So Jdollar, we go back 2016.

You can borrow money, but you can't borrow time. Don't wait, go now.
Savannah Safaris Namibia
Otjitambi Trails & Safaris
DRSS
NRA
SCI
DSC
TSRA
TMPA

Posts: 1237 | Location: Bridgeport, Tx | Registered: 20 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
follow up
Cam emailed me last night that Daniel( his in-country ramrod) had notified him that AF had found 1 of my bags( after 4 weeks) and was sending it to me. i called the AF baggage office in Atlanta early this AM to inquire. they knew nothing about it at first but a check while i waited showed the bag had been sent to SLC, UT. they wanted to know when i could pick it up. i informed the moron that i lived in CA, not UT. oops... they then said they would forward it from SLC to Fresno. 15 minutes later i got a phone call from Delta baggage in SLC and was told the bag would be in Fresno this afternoon. i drove 25 miles to the airport and picked it up. the contents were all there but every name tag on the bag had been removed( and the 3 of them were laminated plastic with heavy zip ties to attach them). who knows where the other bag is but if they can find 1 bag after 4 weeks, i guess there is still hope. the bottom line is that the buffoons/idiots at Aw Fu--ed are beyond stupid and i hope to never have any dealings with them again. with the general level of incompetence AF has repeatedly exhibited, i am SURPRISED THEY CAN STAY IN BUSINESS.

one of us
posted Hide Post
What an amazing, amazing adventure/hunt!!!!! Your are definitely my new hero!!!!!

Best regards, D. Nelson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have rumors your second bag may be in Yaounde. Get a hold of me. No promises, it is Africa!
cam

One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
follow up
Cam emailed me last night that Daniel( his in-country ramrod) had notified him that AF had found 1 of my bags( after 4 weeks) and was sending it to me. i called the AF baggage office in Atlanta early this AM to inquire. they knew nothing about it at first but a check while i waited showed the bag had been sent to SLC, UT. they wanted to know when i could pick it up. i informed the moron that i lived in CA, not UT. oops... they then said they would forward it from SLC to Fresno. 15 minutes later i got a phone call from Delta baggage in SLC and was told the bag would be in Fresno this afternoon. i drove 25 miles to the airport and picked it up. the contents were all there but every name tag on the bag had been removed( and the 3 of them were laminated plastic with heavy zip ties to attach them). who knows where the other bag is but if they can find 1 bag after 4 weeks, i guess there is still hope. the bottom line is that the buffoons/idiots at Aw Fu--ed are beyond stupid and i hope to never have any dealings with them again. with the general level of incompetence AF has repeatedly exhibited, i am SURPRISED THEY CAN STAY IN BUSINESS.

Jerry,

I should have never talked with you on the phone.....Brett and I are giving this hunt some serious thought.

Cheers
Jim

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7594 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
you won't regret it, Jim. it is an adventure par excellence!

One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Frostbit:
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
follow up

Jerry,

I should have never talked with you on the phone.....Brett and I are giving this hunt some serious thought.

Cheers
Jim

Yep.........moving to final round of consideration. Prospects good.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on your hunt Jerry! This is one I've been looking at for several years now. I admire you for taking a hard hunt, giving it your best, and having the adventure of a lifetime regardless of the body count!!!

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote