New
Find
Notify
Tools

Chuck Hawks has passed...
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Chuck was a local friend and shooting buddy that wrote what he believed, not just praise for the latest and greatest whiz-bang the industry put into the market place.

A couple years ago he was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. Chuck asked us to keep this information to ourselves, as he fought the battle in private. Why, because that it the way he wanted it.

Today I received an email from Cheri that Chuck had passed overnight. I'll miss him, but in a way I'm relieved the battle is over and he is at peace.

John in Oregon

Posts: 938 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 23 November 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Johnly,
Thanks for posting the sad news. I will sure miss him. I think he was a decent guy.

He was an independent thinker/writer and that is a lot to say about a man.

Brian

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3335 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I read anything Chuck Hawks wrote. Sorry to hear about his passing, and my sincerest condolences to Cheri.

Posts: 18516 | Registered: 04 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I never had a chance to meet the man but I'm quite certain we would have got along splendidly.

He had a sound appreciation for fine guns and gentlemanly calibers. His writing was heavy on facts and his opinions were explained rationally.

I've used some of the resources on this webpage hundreds of times over and hope his content lives on in posterity for the world to enjoy.

Posts: 238 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: 15 May 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
So many times I have ended up on a Chuck Hawks page while doing a search for something gun-related, and always felt it worth my while. I would not wish pancreatic cancer on anyone.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16279 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
RIP, Chuck Hawks.
We are diminished.

Posts: 72 | Registered: 19 August 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I enjoyed and learned from his blog. RIP, Chuck Hawks.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13313 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
https://www.registerguard.com/obituaries/p0145489

Obituaries in Eugene, OR | Eugene Register-Guard
Charles "Chuck" Hawks
Listen to this obituary
Obituary
Send Flowers

Charles "Chuck" Hawks

Charles (Chuck) A. Hawks of Creswell, Oregon died August 23, 2021 after a valiant two and one half year battle with Pancreatic cancer. He was born on January 13, 1945 to Lugene (Johnson) Hawks and Charles R. Hawks, Jr. in Los Angeles, California. A true "California boy", he developed a strong interest in the ocean and sailing. After graduating from high school, he migrated to Eugene, Oregon where he enrolled at the University of Oregon in 1963. His college career was put on hold when he enlisted in the United States Air Force. When his service was up, he returned to Eugene to complete his Bachelors degree in Political Science. Chuck became an avid fan of Duck football and continued to be for the rest of his life.

One of Chuck's many interests was in photography. He spent several years as a commercial photographer selling his works to various publications and outlets. He managed the photo department at a local Bimart store then moved on to manage France Photography in Eugene. He also taught photography for adult education classes at Lane Community College.

Chuck Hawks was an avid recreational shooter for over 50 years. In addition, he was a noted researcher and writer. He began writing about guns and shooting during his college days and in 1997 he founded Guns and Shooting Online. The website was his passion and he poured tremendous energy into it. He was intent on providing the latest and most accurate information to his readers to help them understand and appreciate the subject he enjoyed so much. This enthusiasm bought thousands of readers from around the world.

Chuck is survived by his lady and best friend, Cheryl Coleman of Eugene; cousin, Suzie Prichard of Springfield and a cadre of wonderful friends near and far. At his request no services will be held. His ashes will be cast out to sea with "Fair winds and following seas" forever. Donations in his honor may be made to any animal shelter.

Arrangements in the care of Smith-Lund-Mills Funeral Chapel Cottage Grove, Oregon.

Posted online on September 13, 2021

John in Oregon

Posts: 938 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 23 November 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
He will certainly be missed. So long Chuck. Be Well, Packy.

Posts: 2140 | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
R.I.P. Chuck your work will be missed.

If it cant be Grown it has to be Mined! Devoted member of Newmont mining company Underground Mine rescue team. Carlin East,Deep Star ,Leeville,Deep Post ,Chukar and now Exodus Where next? Pete Bajo to train newbies on long hole stoping and proper blasting techniques.
Back to Exodus mine again learning teaching and operating autonomous loaders in the underground. Bringing everyday life to most individuals 8' at a time!

Posts: 3065 | Location: Northern Nevada & Northern Idaho | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sad day. Treasure your dear ones.

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27588 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
He will be missed, prayers for him and family..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41746 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post