Tools

Cape Buff vs Water Buff
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Matt Graham:
Good post - who did you hunt with 338?

Edward Clark, Australian Outback Buffalo Safaris. We had a great time and saw lots of Buffalo.

Posts: 424 | Location: Australia | Registered: 11 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
We don't have to leave home to go dangerous game hunting. On our web news tonight. Wink

NAPIER - A 63-year-old Hawke's Bay man has been airlifted to hospital with a fractured shoulder after being charged at by a cow.

A rescue helicopter was called to a farm near Cape Kidnappers at midday today.
The cow was protecting its calf when it attacked the man.

Posts: 3849 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A little cut and paste for our Idaho Asiatic buffalo expert to digest. Was written by an ABC cameraman whilst filming a series entitled "Kakadu" which has been showing on ABC 1 recently.
Pity this footage ended up cut. I think the ranger's rifle was a .308.

Another time, while filming alone with one of the rangers I had my own near
death experience. A large bull buffalo was just off the Highway, and as they are
an introduced species that do a lot of damage, as well as being a serious threat
to motorists, ranger Kathy Wilson had to shoot the animal.
I filmed her taking her first shot and the animal dropped immediately legs in the
air. It looked like a perfect shot. After about five minutes we moved in closer on
foot and Cathy took another shot to be sure the animal was dead. I watched the
headshot land on target and continued to film. Just as we got within about 20
metres of the animal, out of the corner of my eye I saw the bull jump to it’s feet
and begin to charge.
We took off running in all directions, camera still rolling. The buffalo seemed to
pick me. It could have been the clean white t-shirt that let me down.
I sprinted through trees and long grass, zigzagging with the bull flattening
everything in it’s path. It was a thundering charge and the awesome power of
this animal was on display. Saplings were being flattened behind me, and the
branches and leaves whipping me as I ran.
My rolling camera was swinging in one hand and caught a glimpse of the animal
with the wide-angle len
Thanks to some extremely professional and quick thinking, Kathy saved my life.
She put another bullet in it just as I was about to get gored. This turned the
animal on her. They went around a tree together a couple of times before the
animal finally ran off.
The experience was in my first weeks of filming and certainly heightened my
level of care for the rest of the year.
It’s been a fantastic year in a wild place for us as a crew and we have had the
great privilege of sharing campfires with some wonderful people along the way.
Kakadu is an amazing world

The hunting imperative was part of every man's soul; some denied or suppressed it, others diverted it into less blatantly violent avenues of expression, wielding clubs on the golf course or racquets on the court, substituting a little white ball for the prey of flesh and blood.
Wilbur Smith

Posts: 916 | Location: L.H. side of downunder | Registered: 07 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would have liked to have been out of the way but, close enough to have watched that "rodeo".
George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5944 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of stradling
posted Hide Post
that part about the resurrection of the dead after all 4 feet in the air

reminded me of something that happened to

Barry Tony Johnnie and me last month

I will tell you this

after the second killing

the hair on your back is quite bush--ie

Anyway it matters not, because my experience always has been that of---- a loss of snot and enamel on both sides of the 458 Win----

Posts: 1016 | Location: SLC Utah  | Registered: 13 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Might be a good thing that my back don't have any hair. I've seen a few guys that are covered with it damned near as heavy as my dogs. I feel for such guys.
G

Just for giggles: one time I was on the beach at Galveston and a fine shaped gal came wiggling along facing me. She had heavy black hair from the bottom of her bikini up between her boobs. I just had to have that experience, and she was willing for a change. Enjoyed that one much.

"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5944 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
barf Big Grin

------------------------------
A mate of mine has just told me he's shagging his girlfriend and her twin. I said "How can you tell them apart?" He said "Her brother's got a moustache!"

Posts: 7975 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
George... some skeletons are meant to remain in your closet mate!!!

A day spent in the bush is a day added to your life
Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - Facebook
Hunt Australia - TV

Posts: 4456 | Location: Australia | Registered: 23 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Micheal 458, what caliber is the lever gun you used on the one cape Buff.

Posts: 501 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 18 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hadn't read your account of the rifle and load, so now know what it is. I was showing a friend of mine the 95 Marlin in 45/70, which I used in Africa in 72, pushing 405gr W bullets at 1900 fps, and believe 2100 doable. Told him, here's a nice DG round, could use Barnes or some such bullets to good effect, even on a Buff.

Trax doesn't seem to understand that in 1903, or thereabouts, when Bell out there hunting, there were essentially NO other people out there hunting Buffalo, or Elephants. So big difference in their attitude, kinda like the Water Buff today, in Australia. Undisturbed animals also more suseptible to a bullet, than ones already worked up from being followed, and knowing it. Even during the 30s, 40s etc, when John Taylor was shooting, not hunting, just shooting, Buff, they were a completely different animal. Didn't really seem to know what men were, and walk towards you. Try that now. An animal gets worked up, it's harder to kil. And to compare the Wright bros airplant to the space shuttle of today, ludicrous. I was reading a letter to the editor in Scientific American, 1948 period, in which the writer was inquiring about what the big deal was with breaking the sound barrier. No one had, yet, and the editors explained it to them. Anyway, the hunting in Bell's day, and now a lot different due to the sheer numbers of hunters out there. This in turn keeping the game stirred up. BTW, people who write stuff like Crapstick, or bad mouth Ruark, are generally people who've never read their stuff, and couldn't hold a candle to them. Capstick a rich stock broker before he got into the guiding business, and I know the head of the Namibian PH organization, knew him and had a lot of respect for him. He, btw , was not only licensed in Zam. but Rhodesia and Botswana, thought it wasn't known as that then. Ruark wrote a lot of stuff other than two books on Afrian hunting, and was one of the best known writers of his day. The fact that he drank to excess doesn't negate the fact he was one of the best known writers of his day. went from a po boy, from the carolinas to one of the richest people around, in a period of 20 years, means that he probably wouldn't care what Trax or his ilk say, as they've never been there of done that. I'd sure wish I'd be able to spend a couple of 90 day hunts each year, in Africa, or some such place. As far as him being a loud mouth, I kinda doubt it.Another of those bar room stories no one is able to prove. He did boast a bit in an article in True man's mag, I think it was, where he said in the last few years he'd only NOT had one thing, we wanted, which was the 1st Rolls, Silver Cloud, to roll off the line in 1960, or thereabouts. The first one went to the queen of England and the 2nd to Princess Grace, he had to settle for number 3.When you;ve gotten to that point in life, you probably have a right to blow off, if you want to. I knew a guy at work, kinda like Ruark. Would go out at noon and drink his lunch. But was smarter and faster than the next 3 people, having done that. I'm sure Trax could not begin to come up to that level.

As far as the Water Buff go. A friend of mine, an Army Ranger, who ran LRRPS in Nam, said the village buffalo, knew the difference between the smell of their Vietnamese owners and white folks, and would challenge you, if you were white. Not saying they'd attack you, though he did have one run him and his crew up a bank one time, but they'd sure come to investigate you.

John Taylor said he never had a Buff attack him, either, having spent 30 years out in the blue. But, again, no one else out there bothering them, either. But, and there's a note somewhere up in the African notes, about a guy who was just pounded pretty good by a buff here recently. Saw a video a few weeks ago, about a culling guy, who shot 40,000 water buffalo, with a 308. never charged or bothered. But took ONLY under the ear shots with a 308 and ball ammo..which might suggest that rather than body shots at all, shoot them under the ear.

Posts: 501 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 18 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shoot them under the ear Jack - yes, when CULLING from a vehicle. Even then you wont get them first shot every time and yoou will hit some horns too...

Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - TV

One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tysue:
Micheal 458, what caliber is the lever gun you used on the one cape Buff.
Not sure how quickly Michael will pick up your question; his lever gun is a M71 Winchester chambered in 50 B&M Alaskan - that's a .500 caliber cartridge designed by Michael.

Jim coffee
"Life's hard; it's harder if you're stupid"
John Wayne

Posts: 4954 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 15 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is nobody going to compare size? From what I've seen hunting buffalo in Zim, Mozambique, Argentina and Australia the African buffalo are the runts of the litter. Scrawny even. WinkMaybe "cute"?

Posts: 1928 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: 30 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Never heard them described as "cute" before ! Big Grin

Previously 500N with many thousands of posts !

Posts: 1815 | Location: Australia | Registered: 16 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of stradling
posted Hide Post
dogleg

you are just picking a fight with our brave honer bound African buffalo slayers

once a man has made himself killing the most dangerous game in the world

stood to attention in a one malt scotch court there by -- preconceiving -- full honors

it ain't polite to cut the third short leg off his stool

what the hell are you thinking man

Anyway it matters not, because my experience always has been that of---- a loss of snot and enamel on both sides of the 458 Win----

Posts: 1016 | Location: SLC Utah  | Registered: 13 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Maybe petite is the word Im looking for? Compared to big Aussie bulls some of the mighty capes look like a pig with horns. Wink

Posts: 1928 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: 30 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Matt:
That shore wasn't any skeleton, and galveston in '74 is/was a mighty long time ago. The hair thing just rattled my cage. Doubt many on this board ever saw one like that gal. Thought I'd share for the fun of it and stir up some imaginations if nothing else. Hope it didn't offend anyone.
G

"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

George L. Dwight

one of us
posted Hide Post
A thread here that maybe of interest to those from Idaho that are convinced that Australian water buffalo are just a domesticated farm animal.
The hunter involved chimes in at about page 8.
http://www.australianhunting.n...x.php?topic=161520.0

The hunting imperative was part of every man's soul; some denied or suppressed it, others diverted it into less blatantly violent avenues of expression, wielding clubs on the golf course or racquets on the court, substituting a little white ball for the prey of flesh and blood.
Wilbur Smith

Posts: 916 | Location: L.H. side of downunder | Registered: 07 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gotta be a member to read ahn bushchook. Why dont you just repost it here verbatim? I cant from where I am.

Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - TV

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just to add a little interest to this thread.. Is anyone familiar with the works of Tom Cole? His book 'Hell West and Crooked' (amongst other things) details his experiences hunting Buff in the Top End. His chosen weapon was a .303 and a pony. He'd get them to charge after his pony, lean back over the cantle and shoot them...

If nothing else it show's a certain amount of character on his part. BTW the rest of the book is worth reading too. A world long (and sadly) gone.

Posts: 188 | Location: staffordshire | Registered: 30 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You mean they are different? sofa

Posts: 11958 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Matt Graham:
Gotta be a member to read ahn bushchook. Why dont you just repost it here verbatim? I cant from where I am.

Thread is gone off AHN Matt.

Wilbur Smith

One of Us
posted Hide Post
yes - and on to news.com through NT News

http://www.news.com.au/nationa...n3gfdo-1226997978497

Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - TV

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Still no mention of the guide's name !

One of Us
posted Hide Post
No doubt they are digging deep to find it.

Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - TV

One of Us
posted Hide Post
They may well have to dig deep, judging by how tight lipped people are about it.

... and now it's been taken off AHN, the plot thickens !

I hope all concerned had their paper work in order !

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by petermayall:

... and now it's been taken off AHN, the plot thickens !

Why do you say that mate? Doesn't really have anything to do with AHN, 'cept it was posted there originally. Nothing untoward about it being removed, not trying to hide anything. Just unfortunate that the hunters name was released.

Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - TV

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Matt, I said that because,

The incident was kept very quiet

There is still no mention of who the Guide was.

And then the post on AHN was pulled for some reason. I didn't say it had anything to do with AHN.

But someone preferred it was pulled.

Matt, as large Outfitter in Australia, if you had an accident like this happen in your camp.

Would you make a public statement to the hunting community about it, or would you stick your head in the sand and hope it went away.

I've found in 30 years of business, that when things are kept quiet, they're kept quiet for a reason

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't know what I would do Pete... it would depend a lot on the circumstances.

I guess I am in a unique position because I am one of the owners of AHN as well, so I know much of what has been done and why. The threads were pulled because other members 'leaked' it to the press and some stupid comments were being made. It was pulled at the request of the member who was injured and that was allowed because he is a well respected member. Most in the industry by now will know who the guide is - but good taste will hopefully see that the story to date goes no further and there will be no trial-by-media. Why would we/I assist in that?

I would expect my fellows to do the same for me. That is not a cover-up. The authorities know what happened, if there are questions to be asked, they can ask them.

Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - TV

Administrator
posted Hide Post
"Callous hunter leaves buffalo suffering"

I would love to see the comments this idiot writes when he sees lions feed on a buffalo that is not jus alive, but, chewing the cud!

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66936 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
Agree Saeed, the reporter has no idea. But then it is the NT news. Not the most respected news paper in the country.

------------------------------
A mate of mine has just told me he's shagging his girlfriend and her twin. I said "How can you tell them apart?" He said "Her brother's got a moustache!"

Posts: 7975 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Matt,

I have an question to you, as one of the famoust australien PHs:

a.)
By how many australien buffs did you get charged?

b.)
How many other hunters/Phs did you know what hade an "bad expirience" with the Australien buff?

Best wishes and thank you.

B.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bockhunter:
Hi Matt,

I have an question to you, as one of the famoust australien PHs:

a.)
By how many australien buffs did you get charged?

b.)
How many other hunters/Phs did you know what hade an "bad expirience" with the Australien buff?

Best wishes and thank you.

B.
I have had five very 'close encounters' in 12 years of buffalo hunting. I expect that most guide/PH's have had at least one each - most would have had quite a few I expect. Peter Mayall here may have a better idea, as he is one of the greying doyens of buffalo hunting - although I suspect he would have had most close shaves during his banteng exploits.

As for private recreational hunters - I expect that most of the hunters who live in the general area of the buffalo and have the opportunity to hunt them regularly - would all have had a nasty experience with one at some time.

There are so many things that affect buffalo bull behaviour and attitude - even just the time of day!! They are unpredictable buggers who do not care too much for puny humans!

Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - TV

One of Us
posted Hide Post
They both look down their nose at you. When I was there in the N.T. we came upon a small group of young bulls not quite mature. One of them started spinning around with his head and nose up and then ran toward the vehicle but stopped short and trotted back to his buddies. I think if he would have had a little help from his buddies he would have been right on the vehicle.

Posts: 966 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 23 September 2011Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
There are so many things that affect buffalo bull behaviour and attitude - even just the time of day!! They are unpredictable buggers who do not care too much for puny humans!

I think there is some truth in this statement.

I have shot quite a number of buffalo, and they never charged me.

Mark Sullivan on the other hand, seems to get charged by every bull he meets!

Obviously, they certainly don't like puny humans rotflmo

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66936 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 376 steyr:
They both look down their nose at you. When I was there in the N.T. we came upon a small group of young bulls not quite mature. One of them started spinning around with his head and nose up and then ran toward the vehicle but stopped short and trotted back to his buddies. I think if he would have had a little help from his buddies he would have been right on the vehicle.
Bulls that age behave the most erratically IMO.

Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - TV

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Guys, I'm up here in the Brooks Range with Big Game Backcountry Guides getting ready for Sheep season. Hey Matt is a "greying doyen" something like being and old fart ? In regard to "Buffalo Charges" As a guide the secret to keeping you and your client in one piece is being able to instantly read a situation before it turns really bad. As we say in Alaska "Safety First" and further to that, you never step into the ring not be ready to fight. I've had several buffalo fully charge, but I've had a lot more that were just about to charge that a 500 Jeffery changed their mind or more correctly turned off their mind. Guides and hunters who think of buffalo as a "Soft Target" are one day going to be in for a rude shock. In Wilderness area's where buffalo have been subjected to live capture practices I've been charged full noise whilst simply driving onto the edge of the flood plain and still in the 4WD. As Matt said you can never predict what they are going to do and if you think you can your a fool.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good luck Peter!

Posts: 11958 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Safari James
posted Hide Post
I just returned from a great adventure with a group of five friends outfitted by Graeham Williams, Australian Buffalo hunters, Norther Territory. We took 28 buffalo over the course of the hunt and by switching hunting partners each day or grouping together, we were able to be a part of a large number of stalks/kills. To that end, I found the water buffalo to be every bit as tough as a cape buffalo, perhaps even more so. My personal observation was that they were easier to stalk if the wind was right, even to the point of being curious much like an elephant. However, once the buffalo was shot things got interesting real quick.

In regards to charges, I feel that you can provoke just about anything to charge you by approaching from the front, cutting off escape routes, closing quickly vice letting the animal expire, etc. Not sure I see any reason for that unless it is something that you are willfully trying to do for the camera. One thing for certain, the water buffalo can take a lot of punishment and I'm sure he can dish it out in spades if given the chance. I personally have a new found respect for this animal.

Safari James
USMC
DRSS

Posts: 369 | Location: Texas | Registered: 16 August 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
S James:
Any pictures to share with us?
Glad you had a good time and returned safe without 'feeding' any of 'em.
George

"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

George L. Dwight