Notify
Tools

Couple of knives (Dialup Warning!)
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Here are a couple of knives that shipped this week:

A standard skinner in CPM S30V with Micarta handle:

My standard hunter pair in ATS-34 (drop point and coring knife) with Micarta handles:

A combat blade made for a customer on duty in Afghanistan. Is ATS-34 with Aluminum handle skins and bronze fittings. Has a full tapered tang. Coating is "earth brown" Gun-Kote. Balance point is at the back edge of the guard:

Headed to Texas to take a poke or two at some piggies Big Grin

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
That skinner is SWEET!

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27596 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nitroman
posted Hide Post
I can testify to the beauty and usefulness of Mr. Starlings knives. I used mine on my moose this past Saturday, 09/29/07. I helped to skin, cut it up, then butcher it down to four RubberMaid Roughneck totes, and it didn't even need a touch-up to the edge. I did just brush the edge with a fine DMT diamond sharpener, the green one, once I was home helping my wife finish cutting the meat for wrapping.

Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Posts: 1844 | Location: Southwest Alaska | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rick R
posted Hide Post
So that's why you been so quiet lately!

I can't seem to shoot enough deer to dull the blade on the knife I got from you. Big Grin I'll try harder this year.

You should have a picture of the side of that combat knife, it looked like a puzzle when I saw it "Under Construction". Guys, the brass finger guard and skull cracker are "keyed" to the handle scales, it's a very neat knife.

Appears like the final product turned out quite nicely.

thumb thumb thumb

Posts: 1912 | Location: Charleston, WV, USA | Registered: 10 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
The combat knife you made would also do well on feral hogs. Beautiful.

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mr rigby
posted Hide Post
i liked that combat knife, what is the price on that one. It looked rugged and tough aswell as a nice knife to use and carry

Posts: 1196 | Location: Kristiansand,Norway | Registered: 20 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My Skinner is due in November, I can't wait!!

Posts: 276 | Location: MId-Michigan (back in the States) | Registered: 21 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JefferyDenmark
posted Hide Post
WOW
That is one cool dagger.
The skinners are not too bad either thumb

Cheers,

André

Always always use enough... GUN & KNIFE

Posts: 2293 | Location: The Kingdom of Denmark | Registered: 13 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
thismortalcoil,

Am in Texas hunting piggies. Your knife will ship on time! Needs just a last pass at the handle polish and the last sharpening. Already shaves nicely. Sheath is done.

The owner of the skinner pictured got it and was pleased. He's hunting this long weekend and look forward to a report on its use.

mr rigby ...

This is the kinda thing I make for folks I know that are "down range." It requires an enormous amount of milling to get the parts to work right because after they are coated the assembly has to match perfectly else it looks badly built.

This design is about as tough as it gets. The aircraft aluminum skins are captured under the guard in the front and by the bolsters in the rear. In addition they are cross pinned with two tubes. They are assembled with J-B Weld which is good to 500F. I don't want someone to be "let down" by one of my weapons. If they need it, they'll need it badly!

Am having the sheaths made as thigh rigs by Survival Sheaths. They do a very nice job and the sheath is adaptable to multiple carry modes. Ain't cheap but very good.

Haven't priced them, but they'd be REALLY expensive. I seriously doubt most folks would be interested in a knife that costs as much as a rifle. Thank you for asking though.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This should almost go in the good guy report. I can also attest to the quality of the knives that Mike sells. I have three of them. I broke in a new one a couple of weeks ago on a deer my wife shot. All she could say was "that knife is sharp, I see why you like to get a quality knife instead of some of the ones you have used in the past." Guys this also helps when I tell her I want one of his newer skinners. Wink I can even say that he is as good of a person that a guy could ever want to share a hunting camp with.

Keep yer powder dry and yer knife sharp.

Posts: 582 | Location: Texas City, TX. USA. | Registered: 25 January 2004Reply With Quote